Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,069 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere (12401 Views)

Pat Utomi Condemns Conduct Of Labour Party Lawmakers / Former ICAN & Nigerian Red Cross President, Emmanuel Ijewere Is Dead / Pat Utomi: Fulanis Made Me Rich, They Did More For Me Than My Own People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by naptu2: 4:15am On Dec 30, 2023
Godwin Obaseki (GGO) @GovernorObaseki

CONDOLENCE LETTER TO IJEWERE FAMILY OVER PASSING OF MR. EMMANUEL ITOYA IJEWERE

I am deeply saddened by the painful news of the passing of Mr. Emmanual Itoya Ijewere, one of Edo's finest, who led an envious legacy as one of Nigeria’s most accomplished accounting professionals

A thoroughbred professional, the late Ijewere was peace loving, kindhearted, cerebral and brave.

He was a force for good and dispensed wise counsel to many who sought guidance from his fountain of knowledge and experience.

He lived a fulfilled and selfless life of purpose, giving himself and resources freely for the upliftment of others and impacting positively on everyone who came in contact with him.

The late Emmanuel Ijewere was a gentleman extraordinaire. As Founding Partner Emmanuel Ijewere & Co (Chartered Accountants) and past President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), he displayed a rare knack for excellence, a trait that set him apart as industry's gold standard.

He will be remembered for his wit, candour, his knack for excellence, and an abiding commitment to the development of our dear State and nation

I commiserate with the Ijewere family, friends and associates and pray that God will grant all the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

His Excellency,
Godwin Obaseki,
Governor, Edo State

https://twitter.com/GovernorObaseki/status/1740871670255018430

Previous thread: Former ICAN & Nigerian Red Cross President, Emmanuel Ijewere Is Dead
https://www.nairaland.com/7952391/former-ican-nigerian-red-cross

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by naptu2: 4:15am On Dec 30, 2023
Ben Murray-Bruce @benmurraybruce

I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing of Mr. Emmanuel Ijewere, the former president of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN). Emmanuel was a cherished family friend whose presence enriched our lives.

As we mourn his loss, I extend my heartfelt condolences to his family. May they find comfort in his legacy and the countless lives he touched with his wisdom and kindness.

Emmanuel's memory will continue to inspire and guide us in the years to come. Rest in peace, dear friend.

https://twitter.com/benmurraybruce/status/1740748202200965520

Pat Utomi @UtomiPat

When it rains it pours. Last night it came like a bolt from the blues. A true citizen. A patriot full of zeal for Nigeria. Emmanuel Ijewere battled cancer till last night. He chaired the Think Tank of Big Tent. He urged passionately that we not give up for sake of the children.

https://twitter.com/UtomiPat/status/1740750927584526650

Pat Utomi @UtomiPat

Death where is your sting. It’s not how long we live but how well we live for others, make impact and serve the creator. Thank God for the prize of immortality for the life of impact. To be remembered by generations long after is immortality.

https://twitter.com/UtomiPat/status/1740763153280188445

Chidi Odinkalu, CGoF @ChidiOdinkalu

Emmanuel Ijewere was 1 of the finest professionals I came across. He had a heart that beat for the #publicgood. For decades, he was our external auditor at the Civil Liberties Organization #CLO #ProBono & he even put his own money into our work. Now a terrific man rests.🙏🏽🙏🏽

https://twitter.com/ChidiOdinkalu/status/1740774103689429054

Chidi Odinkalu, CGoF @ChidiOdinkalu

Emmanuel Ijewere, a truly awesome man & professional has completed his earthly tour of duty & what a terrific job he made of it. May the Heavens be kind & grant him eternal mercy & rest.🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

https://twitter.com/ChidiOdinkalu/status/1740868409389113670

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by naptu2: 4:15am On Dec 30, 2023
How a deal with my mother saved my life —Ijewere

by Our Reporter October 24, 2021

Emmanuel Itoya Ijewere is the current chairman of Best Foods Groups, Nova Merchant Bank Limited and the former President of the Institute of Charted Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN). In this interview with SEGUN KASALI, he discusses his journey through life.

What motivated you into starting an accounting firm with your wife?

I was a partner in D. O. Dafinone & Co. When I left to set up my practice, I needed someone to assist me administratively, and my wife happens to be good in that area, but at the same time, we just started raising a family. So, she would come with me to work in the morning and leave in the afternoon. She was not an accountant but a very good administrator. So, she kept me in the straight and narrow.

How did you meet her?

That is very interesting. As a young man, I used to live on Bode Thomas Street, Surulere. She was introduced to me by a girlfriend of a friend of mine. On the first day, which was the 12th of February, 1974, that she was introduced to me, I liked her and I decided to marry her.

Who amongst the children is taking after you in the accounting practice?

My first son took after me. Unfortunately, he died and that was the only one. All the others are doing their own things; stockbroking, law and property management, catering and logistics. Poor me! None of them did accounting. But, I thank God today because of the opportunity God and my parents gave me.

Tell us about the Ijeweres.

We are in Ubiaja in Edo state. My father came to Lagos in 1926. He was given a note by the parish priest in Ubiaja to look for one Reverend Father Leo Taylor. So, my father came by boat from Ubiaja to Lagos and I think it took them about three weeks. He arrived at Ebute-elefun and he walked across to a place called Cathedral. Where he met the man and gave him the note. He took my father in to be his house-help to wash clothes and so on and in exchange, my father had education. That was the time this Leo Taylor was being made the pioneer principal of St. Gregory’s College. It was called St. Gregory Grammar School at a time. He started working in the civil service. I was not there when he met my mother (laughs). Eventually, they had five of us and I was number 4. I was the last boy in the family out of 4 boys and one girl being the last born.

What are the lessons from them?

One thing I first learnt was the fact that, for him, after providing food for the family, the next thing was education. I remember he had a cupboard where he had a cup for each of his children. He would put money in each cup for their school fees. My mother was a trader. I remember in 1959 or so, my father was transferred under the Ministry of Health to Cameroon to work with the District Officer. And he went with three of his last children, leaving others in Lagos. He was later transferred back to Lagos.

How was growing up like for you?

Growing up was fun and full of memories. Between Obalende and Tinubu square, there were only five people that owned cars and we had a beautiful road on Lewis Street. On Saturdays for instance, we played football at Tafawa Balewa Square popularly called Race Course in those days where there used to be horse racing. Due to this horse racing, we played football on the streets of Lagos. On Turton Street, I think number 4 was the residence of the mayor of Lagos. His name was Dr. Olorunnimbe. We would be play football near Sangrouse market. But, as soon as he is coming out of his street, his driver would press his horn and it would be with lots of noise. From there, everybody around the street would hear because Lagos was quiet and the population was small. So, we would know he is coming and when he appears, we open the goal post to allow his car to pass so we can continue our football. Sometimes, he annoys people because his car approaches when you are about to score, because of the sound of the horn, we would say leave the road for him, he is a mad man. So, one day he was passing and we were all shouting yafun yafun yafun werey ni yafun, the mayor came out of the car. As soon as he came out, he said baba yin niwerey (Your fathers are the mad men) we ran. We don’t want him to identify any of us otherwise our parents would show us fire. So, that was the kind of fun I had while growing up.

You were all not caught?

I am going there. Unfortunately, one of the parents heard what happened and he came to gather us from house to house. We were all lined up and he gave us three strokes of cane. This is someone else’s father. But, it was important I never tell my father what happened because he would add his own. To him, these children had done something bad. He considered himself the father of these children and this gentleman was a Muslim. So, he did what he wanted to do and that was considered normal. It was weeks after my father asked is it true you did so so and so. Then, I said yes sir. He said you are lucky I did not catch you that day I would have shown you.

You must have been a rascal then, sir?

For you to be really rascally, you have and ought, to be strategic. The first thing is to find out the line of the least resistance and the strongest line of opposition I had was my father who was a disciplinarian. So, I negotiated with my mother. She would ask me to go and help her sell bread and rather than being compensated for that, she would overlook my rascality. I would go and play football. So, whenever my dad asked her about me, she would tell him I am on an errand. So, that was the strategy.

What songs do you listen to sir?

I think the ones I enjoy most are the old music especially Bongos Igwe, Sunny Ade, Victor Uwaifo, Ebenezer Obey, Michael Jackson and so many beautiful songs in those days that had meaning when you listen to them.

What do you say to people at a time like this?

What I would advise people to do is to seek happiness and not money. When you chase money to a large extent, you would lose happiness and money does not necessarily give you happiness. And when you start chasing money, there is no end to it. And if you look round you, the rich people today are trying to be richer. And the other mentality is living your life to be happy and teaching your children to work hard. Do not try to leave property for your children. If you have given them a good education, they would find their way. Live your life positively. That is very important.

What advice do you have for those looking up to you in the profession sir?

The profession has changed- computerization and artificial intelligence have changed the world. You must be ready to change with it. Much of the work you do today as a chartered accountant is being done with artificial intelligence. Adjust to it, be a friend of artificial intelligence and don’t resist it. The future is going to be easier but intelligence-led. It must be knowledge-led. So, don’t do things the same way that you have always done it. And take the changes in the world as irreversible.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/how-a-deal-with-my-mother-saved-my-life-ijewere/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by chukslawrence(m): 4:38am On Dec 30, 2023
He's resting now
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Evans5g: 5:05am On Dec 30, 2023
Hg

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Totilopussylick(m): 5:39am On Dec 30, 2023
R. I. P.
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Ravern: 8:30am On Dec 30, 2023
TRANSITION
With a heavy heart and total submission to the will of God we regret to announce the death of our Founder & GCEO Chief Emmanuel Itoya Ijewere FCA; FCTI in the early hours of today. We pray for the repose of his soul. May the Soul of our departed Principal Partner rest in peace. Amen. As soon as the burial
arrangements is released by the family, we will keep you informed.
Signed:
Management
Ijewere & Co.

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by maxiuc(m): 10:58am On Dec 30, 2023
cheesy
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by omenka1: 10:58am On Dec 30, 2023
Na wa ooo, elites just dey kpai left n right
Let it not be what am thinking ooo angry
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by uuzba(m): 11:00am On Dec 30, 2023
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 11:00am On Dec 30, 2023
cool
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Chijeep(m): 11:01am On Dec 30, 2023
This one wey people dey die like this, hope say no be another plague dey ring 4 2024 so?

God abeg ooo
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by BOSSkesh(m): 11:01am On Dec 30, 2023
Eme werey
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by GanagiBitrus: 11:02am On Dec 30, 2023
RIP.
His generation was at least lucky to witness when $1=₦1 and brand new car sold for ₦5000.
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Druss(m): 11:03am On Dec 30, 2023
May GOD comfort and strengthen his wife, kids and grandkids. He will be missed.
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by HORLADY(m): 11:05am On Dec 30, 2023
Rest in Peace Sir
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by Paragon311(m): 11:08am On Dec 30, 2023
RIP Sir
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by NaijaCurfew: 11:27am On Dec 30, 2023
RIP good soul of the departed
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by XAUBulls: 12:30pm On Dec 30, 2023
naptu2:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/how-a-deal-with-my-mother-saved-my-life-ijewere/
Emmanuel Ijewere... The insightful journey of a professional icon.
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by onosbaba3310: 1:06pm On Dec 30, 2023
Another great man Has fallen again from ubiaja🥺 the time his elder brother Francis ijewere died we all felt it in the village, it was like the a king died, because that man single handedly raised ubiaja, he brought so many developments to ubiaja, primary school (the one I attended), secondary school, polytechnic, a fuel station, a bank and even a farm employing hundreds of ubiaja sons and daughters❣️❣️ a true man of the people, we all mourn him the day he died, even after his death nobody has been able to match his records in terms of development and selflessness for esan people, my grandma still tell the stories how Francis ijewere gave esan people jobs in Lagos if you can speak esan very well, he was that good.

Unfortunately, when the news of Emmanuel ijeweres death broke out yesterday, I called home to know if they are mourning him like his brother, unfortunately nobody gave a Bleep, except his family, they were asking me with all his position, what did he do for his people, not even a supermarket or a fuel station to employe even if is only 10 people at home, lol this is the reality of esan people running away from home, let's us come back and build, we can't build outside esan land and turn esan into a cemetery where we are buried after our demise, RIP to Emmanuel Ijewere, I pray other prominent sons and daughters of esan land put the development of esan in their mind, GOD BLESS YOU ALL

3 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by MMempire(m): 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2023
R.I.P
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:00pm On Dec 30, 2023
remarkable interview, very inspring for the young generation to learn from. God be with Emmanuel I. Farewell Sir. sad
Re: Governor Obaseki, Ben Bruce, Pat Utomi Mourn Emmanuel Ijewere by naptu2: 5:22am On Dec 31, 2023
Nigerian Red Cross Society HQ @nrcs_ng

@nrcs_ng Mourns the Passing on of her Ex-President, Dr Emmanuel Ijewere.

Dr. Emmanuel Ijewere served as the National President of the Nigerian Red Cross from 2002 to 2005, whilst Chairing the West Africa Sub Region of IFRC.

Dr. Emmanuel Ijewere passed away on Thursday, December 28, 2023, at the age of 77. May his compassionate soul rest in peace.

https://twitter.com/nrcs_ng/status/1741148659008278697

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Wasted Nigeria’s Resources – Dogara / Ajimobi Flags-off Reactivation Of Oyo-ogbomosho Road Project / 16 Permanent Secretaries Retire; FG Looking For Replacement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.