Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) (50780 Views)

Native Doctor Storms His Bank To Demand Access To His Money (pics/video) / Huge Pile Of Naira Notes Stored At Someone's Home (Pics, Video) / Ebonyi Mall: The Largest Mall In Nigeria Almost Completed (Pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by LifeofDream: 4:38pm On Feb 02
Diddycsbsb:
I hate Yoruba people so much

Only 7% of them are good people

I detest them so much

No surprise, people jealous who's better than them...

It's jealousy not hatred..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Jemex003: 4:44pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:
On Christmas eve, I went to buy a cow and goat at one of the markets in Lagos and I was shocked when I was told that I have to pay before I can enter the market. Of course, it was cheap (just 50 naira) but isn't it strange that I have to pay to access a place that I'm going to spend my money.

Does any other market have this system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyrFlGzbq8

Madam next time don’t look like someone who want to buy things there just dey look like you’re looking for someone that’s all.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by pocohantas(f): 4:44pm On Feb 02
Nazgul:

Lol. The only thing that didn't make me complain is that the money is very little. So just close eye and give them.

The money is nothing at all. I think it was N100 or so. I was just startled as I have never experienced such. Not in other Lagos markets I have visited and not in my state of origin. I was thinking someone would at least explain to me why an angry sweaty looking man was staring down at me. grin
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Omoluabi16(m): 4:48pm On Feb 02
pocohantas:

It is all madness. I was shocked the day we were asked to pay for ground. I say ground how? Did I come here to buy land? grin I was lost for a minute o.

Very unfortunate. I was even shocked to know agberoism has now spilled over to places like Onitsha. I believe it all started in Lagos.
Now, I think it's a very good way of raising IGR, after all #50 naira is nothing. But it is not structured..the tax collector's are touts always high on weed, ever ready to fight and we all know such returns go into private pockets. Then again, these market people also pay the legal tax. It's just robbery we've all come to accept. NURTW is supposed to be a federal body, but we see their leaders live way beyond their means.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by gr8child(m): 4:58pm On Feb 02
Zonefree:
What's the N50 for? Visa on arrival? undecided
grin
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by gr8child(m): 5:00pm On Feb 02
Jemex003:

Madam next time don’t look like someone who want to buy things there just dey look like you’re looking for someone that’s all.

There's a gate fee to enter Wuse market with your car though in Abuja. Don't know if people on foot pay.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Nazgul: 5:10pm On Feb 02
pocohantas:

The money is nothing at all. I think it was N100 or so. I was just startled as I have never experienced such. Not in other Lagos markets I have visited and not in my state of origin. I was thinking someone would at least explain to me why an angry sweaty looking man was staring down at me. grin
Lol... maybe he thought you're a politician's babe, so you should have money to give to him. grin

Yea, it's not done in the east. Even in Okwor (one of the biggest market in Ebonyi State) they don't even charge people coming to buy goods.

I was surprised when I discovered that they do it at rice Mill in Abakaliki.

I just pray they don't start it in all major markets in Lagos, cos with the way agberos keep multiplying daily for this Lagos eh...even me, I'm beginning to get worried.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Fujiyama: 5:16pm On Feb 02
eazzzy1:
It’s for crowd control. Making sure the people coming in to market are people who should be in the market. That’s the only logical explanation I can think of.

As long as it isn’t a hidden charge, they let you know from the gate and you do have a choice to pay or turn back.

^^^
Ok.

The NPF will soon do random 'crowd control' on people going about their business. Let's hope nobody criticizes them then.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by ufotunang: 5:23pm On Feb 02
Zonefree:
What's the N50 for? Visa on arrival? undecided
...it is renewed hope tax levy 🙄
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by ufotunang: 5:23pm On Feb 02
That is the renewed hope you voted for 🙄
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by ufotunang: 5:24pm On Feb 02
Renewed hope tax levy 🙄
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Ijaya123: 5:26pm On Feb 02
kollog:
Most Lagosians, if not all, works for Tinubu.
Try n do further research in order to understand the point.
SeeWahala:
Na so, it's a part of the laid down legacies of emilokan concerning IGR development in his lagos cool
otipoju:
Jabagan legacy for lagos. Na IGR you dey see so.

Caramia2020:
It's also happening in Tomatoes market in Effurun Sapele road, I don't really the essence.

Are they also working for Tinubu in Effurun?

1 Like

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Fujiyama: 5:27pm On Feb 02
Waywardson6:
50 naira is not just 50 naira & it's not just cheap. It wasn't plucked from tree, but worked for. I know it's meant to generate revenue for the economy & government. But, Lagosians should protest against it. Today, they'll collect 50 naira, tomorrow it will be 100naira, then later 200 naira. Until e reach 1000 naira. We should stop allowing things like these slide. It's not fair.

^^^
Their supporters are on this thread so you can expect the usual nonsense from them. 50 Naira is still money. If its nothing then the agberos and their masters should go find their own 50 Naira by themselves. Multiply that 50 Naira by the thousands who flood into the market and we are no longer talking of 'small money'.

The money isn't properly remitted to the LASG coffers. Its an opaque, filthy system in which different ogas and market madams take their cut and the balance is spent on paraga and weed by the area boys who function as collectors. At the end of it who gains? undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Hausa(m): 5:33pm On Feb 02
Relief Market, Upper Iweka...

Where una dey?
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Hausa(m): 5:35pm On Feb 02
Waywardson6:
50 naira is not just 50 naira & it's not just cheap. It wasn't plucked from tree, but worked for. I know it's meant to generate revenue for the economy & government. But, Lagosians should protest against it. Today, they'll collect 50 naira, tomorrow it will be 100naira, then later 200 naira. Until e reach 1000 naira. We should stop allowing things like these slide. It's not fair.

People who havent travelled outside Lagos make it seem like it happens in Lagos alone.
I laugh.

Relief Market, Onitsha...
Na today?
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by theredaddy: 5:56pm On Feb 02
pocohantas:
Some markets ask you to pay for ground.
For example you buy yam, potatoes or bunch of plantain, you would pay for the floor space it was displayed on.

Lagos is one crazy chaotic place.
I find it strange that some of its residents revel in this madness. They even brag with it. There is no bragging right here to me.

Yiimu ! but the last time you visited your village you went with both pentecostal and olumba olumba anointing oil
no be say you dey hide inside house, onyianla undecided undecided
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by BigCowHornn: 6:12pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:
On Christmas eve, I went to buy a cow and goat at one of the markets in Lagos and I was shocked when I was told that I have to pay before I can enter the market. Of course, it was cheap (just 50 naira) but isn't it strange that I have to pay to access a place that I'm going to spend my money.

it's very normal if you went with your car. Agbero must collect.
Learn to park outside the market if 50 naira is too much for you.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by tunde1200(m): 6:18pm On Feb 02
Anything you want to repair at Alaba intl market you must pay 500# or else no passage for you.

This is a norm from your brothers at Alaba.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by pocohantas(f): 6:20pm On Feb 02
Nazgul:

Lol... maybe he thought you're a politician's babe, so you should have money to give to him. grin

Yea, it's not done in the east. Even in Okwor (one of the biggest market in Ebonyi State) they don't even charge people coming to buy goods.

I just pray they don't start it in all major markets in Lagos, cos with the agberos keep multiplying daily for this Lagos eh...even me, I'm beginning to get worried.

I have been to the biggest markets in my state and not once did I witness anything like this. Maybe it is in other states, but definitely not mine. Why should I buy yam and pay for the ground the yam was displayed on? It was too shocking. cheesy They are not in Balogun or I didn't encounter them. You see this kind of thing in mostly foodstuff markets as they know people [women] just want to buy and leave.

It is a means of settling some local government heads and small kings if you ask me.

"Take this market, generate your income". Similar to the madness going on at Lagos beaches.

I was at a market and someone was collecting N200. I asked what it was for and the woman said the Iyaloja has been sick and out of service. So the traders contribute N200 for her every Wednesday. Omo!!!!
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by PaulH07: 6:21pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:

How much you come buy the live goat na?
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by pocohantas(f): 6:23pm On Feb 02
Omoluabi16:

Very unfortunate. I was even shocked to know agberoism has now spilled over to places like Onitsha. I believe it all started in Lagos.
Now, I think it's a very good way of raising IGR, after all #50 naira is nothing. But it is not structured..the tax collector's are touts always high on weed, ever ready to fight and we all know such returns go into private pockets. Then again, these market people also pay the legal tax. It's just robbery we've all come to accept. NURTW is supposed to be a federal body, but we see their leaders live way beyond their means.

Agberoism has always been in the SE. But based on observation, they are not as brazen as the ones in Lagos. The ones in Lagos are institutionalized under bodies like NURTW. So you see them addressing us on serious national issues. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by lilyheaven: 6:29pm On Feb 02
Which one is lie?
Next time I’m going to buy crate tomatoes, I will go with a friend , who will snap them collecting money from me
Lomprico2:

Where for oilmill? See lie o!
maybe you always buy small quantity.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Advancedman(m): 6:36pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:

Toll is the beginning of your money spending.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by 7upnigeria: 6:42pm On Feb 02
eazzzy1:
It’s for crowd control. Making sure the people coming in to market are people who should be in the market. That’s the only logical explanation I can think of.

As long as it isn’t a hidden charge, they let you know from the gate and you do have a choice to pay or turn back.

Good reasoning, not everybody reasons like this. A whole lot of fools in the world now, going by what I've been reading so far.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Bukfab(f): 6:45pm On Feb 02
I was there to buy meat as well "ABBATTOIR"@ AGEGE...I paid ₦50 b4 i can gain entrance into the market
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by zedegit: 7:31pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:
On Christmas eve, I went to buy a cow and goat at one of the markets in Lagos and I was shocked when I was told that I have to pay before I can enter the market. Of course, it was cheap (just 50 naira) but is
Bukfab post=128255859:
I was there to buy meat as well "ABBATTOIR"@ AGEGE...I paid ₦50 b4 i can gain entrance into the market
n't it strange that I have to pay to access a place that I'm going to spend my money.

Na how lazy dem be. Even for beach you go see those Alaye. Blow dem heads off next time. Tueh.

Extortion wereys.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Kingrshd3: 7:54pm On Feb 02
FireUpNow:
Blame Iyaloja General of Lagos, the daughter of Tinubu and the Lagos State govt because they tax these traders in all the markets in Lagos State heavily on daily, weekly or monthly basis.

Shutup somebody just posted in Sapele and portharcourt now tht it's there too on some kind of market and u are here saying nonsense
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by siant: 8:14pm On Feb 02
Lagos na rogue society
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Omoluabi16(m): 8:19pm On Feb 02
pocohantas:

. So you see them addressing us on serious national issues.
You no go kill person. 😂😂 so you mean say Agbero self don dey hold world press conference.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by RussellRutherfo: 8:34pm On Feb 02
Nazgul:

I just pray they don't start it in all major markets in Lagos, cos with the way agberos keep multiplying daily for this Lagos eh...even me, I'm beginning to get worried.

The foot soldiers keep getting promoted as b/stop "Chairmen" so more levies to be taxed and the citizens bear the burnt as these costs are added to the costs of goods purchased.

It is a crazy cycle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emmanuel Chigozie Eze: P&G Head Of Sales Spent Firm’s N20m On Online Betting / Photos Of Beautiful Daughters Of Northern Billionaires / Pictures Of Acclaimed Richest Men In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.