Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) (50781 Views)

Native Doctor Storms His Bank To Demand Access To His Money (pics/video) / Huge Pile Of Naira Notes Stored At Someone's Home (Pics, Video) / Ebonyi Mall: The Largest Mall In Nigeria Almost Completed (Pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Lawalemi(m): 9:40pm On Feb 02
Ovokoo:
On Christmas eve, I went to buy a cow and goat at one of the markets in Lagos and I was shocked when I was told that I have to pay before I can enter the market. Of course, it was cheap (just 50 naira) but isn't it strange that I have to pay to access a place that I'm going to spend my money.

Does any other market have this system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyrFlGzbq8
I bought solar panel at Oshodi and these boys accousted me to pay them.
I was so angry how I put load on my head and some boys are demanding money for it.
I paid the 200 naira and moved on. They could snatch your goods even make you lose everything.
That's Lagos.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by FireUpNow(m): 9:45pm On Feb 02
Kingrshd3:

Shutup somebody just posted in Sapele and portharcourt now tht it's there too on some kind of market and u are here saying nonsense

How someone post bin Sapele and Port Harcourt at the same time? You don miss your evening does of you medicine. Abeg go take am
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by CockPit: 10:14pm On Feb 02
7upnigeria:

Good reasoning, not everybody reasons like this. A whole lot of fools in the world now, going by what I've been reading so far.

"A choice to pay or turn back", where is the choice in extortion!
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Nazgul: 10:43pm On Feb 02
pocohantas:

I have been to the biggest markets in my state and not once did I witness anything like this. Maybe it is in other states, but definitely not mine.
What state are you from?

pocohantas:
Why should I buy yam and pay for the ground the yam was displayed on? It was too shocking. cheesy They are not in Balogun or I didn't encounter them.
You see this agbero menace in Lagos eh, if unchecked they would start collecting money from people for walking on the road.

There was a time I went to bariga market to buy fruits. I was shocked when agberos were collecting money from these mallams that push kegs of water in carts to sell. I was like how much are these people making that you're collect money from them. To be honest, I really felt bad that day.

pocohantas:
You see this kind of thing in mostly foodstuff markets as they know people [women] just want to buy and leave.
Yea...most times women are always singled out, cos they know that a lady wouldn't have time to drag with them. She'll just give them whatever they're asking for and leave. But guys wouldn't. Especially rugged guys, dem go won claim omo adugbo.

pocohantas:
It is a means of settling some local government heads and small kings if you ask me.

"Take this market, generate your income". Similar to the madness going on at Lagos beaches.
It's part of the 40 million youths job Tinubu promised. His kids are flying in presidential Jets and attending State sponsored seminars, while the youths are left to shake people up. There's a junction close to were I stay. Recently Keke started passing through there (maybe because of holdup). I was shocked to see that agberos have already stationed themselves at that junction to collect tolls from them. Tinubu has really given them jobs. 🤕

pocohantas:
I was at a market and someone was collecting N200. I asked what it was for and the woman said the Iyaloja has been sick and out of service. So the traders contribute N200 for her every Wednesday. Omo!!!!
Lol... poor market women contributing money for someone who can comfortably buy everything they're selling and wouldn't even shake.

Talk about worshiping your oppressors. Truly, Nigeria still has a long way to go.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by zeestone99(m): 10:49pm On Feb 02
eazzzy1:
It’s for crowd control. Making sure the people coming in to market are people who should be in the market. That’s the only logical explanation I can think of.

As long as it isn’t a hidden charge, they let you know from the gate and you do have a choice to pay or turn back.

Crowd control for a market? How's that logical, are the goods free?
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Brenn594(m): 10:53pm On Feb 02
It's called "patriotic fee" emilokan wants to know if you're patriotic and ready to fill the bullion van grin
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Nazgul: 10:53pm On Feb 02
RussellRutherfo:

The foot soldiers keep getting promoted as b/stop "Chairmen" so more levies to be taxed and the citizens bear the burnt as these costs are added to the costs of goods purchased.

It is a crazy cycle.
Welcome to Nigeria.
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by jaszplus12(m): 12:21am On Feb 03
FireUpNow:
Blame Iyaloja General of Lagos, the daughter of Tinubu and the Lagos State govt because they tax these traders in all the markets in Lagos State heavily on daily, weekly or monthly basis.
Is she the same person that collects that of the port Harcourt, sapele and othe places mentioned? Haba!
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by bukatyne(f): 2:20am On Feb 03
weslay:

Are you saying Lagosians are so jobless that they have nothing valuable to do with their time than to wander about the markets?

cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Acidosis(m): 5:39am On Feb 03
eazzzy1:
It’s for crowd control. Making sure the people coming in to market are people who should be in the market. That’s the only logical explanation I can think of.

As long as it isn’t a hidden charge, they let you know from the gate and you do have a choice to pay or turn back.

This is extremely ridiculous. Crowd control in which of the markets? This tiny and unpopular market??
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by FireUpNow(m): 7:55am On Feb 03
jaszplus12:

Is she the same person that collects that of the port Harcourt, sapele and othe places mentioned? Haba!

Oga is the Iya oloja not collecting from Lagos markets?
Re: Is This Behavior Normal In Lagos? (pics, Video) by Whosekey: 2:23pm On Feb 03
Pls send me ur WhatsApp number...I am sure u will be of a guide help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emmanuel Chigozie Eze: P&G Head Of Sales Spent Firm’s N20m On Online Betting / Photos Of Beautiful Daughters Of Northern Billionaires / Pictures Of Acclaimed Richest Men In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.