Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index (4380 Views)

Nigerian Scholar Solves 156-year-old Problem In Maths, Gets One Million Dollars / Fear Envelops Ministry, Agencies As FG Sacks 187 / QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Sunofgod(m): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2011
Nigeria is placed 156 out of 187 countries in a new UN study, which ranks countries on their education, income and life expectancy.

The 2011 Human Development Index (HDI) released on Wednesday by the UN Development Programme (UNDP) put Norway, Australia and the Netherlands on the top three countries to live in.

Nigeria placed 142 out of 169 a year ago and was listed among “least human development” countries in terms of wealth and low educational ranking.

However, the 2011 HDI covered a record 187 countries and territories, up from 169 in 2010 and according to the authors, the 2011 country rankings “are therefore not comparable” to last years figures.

The 2011 report entitled ‘Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All’, put Nigeria’s life expectancy at 51.9 years, below that of Libya at 74, Mauritus 73.4, Gabon 62.7 and South Africa, 52.8.

The UN ranks a country’s life expectancy by the number of years a newborn infant could expect to live if prevailing pattern of age specific mortality rates at the time of birth stay the same throughout the infants life.

A country’s educational achievements is assessed by combining adult literacy rates along with enrolment in primary, secondary and university institutions.

On education, the index on Nigeria shows that the average number of years of schooling received by people’s ages 25 and older is 5.0.

The report puts the highest possible years of schooling for a child in Nigeria at 8.9, if the prevailing patterns of age-specific enrolment rates persist throughout the child’s life.

With a gross national income (GNI) per capita of $2,069, Nigeria lags behind countries like Equatorial Guinea ($17,608), Botswana ($13,049) and Gabon ($12,249).

However the report shows Nigeria to be among sub-Saharan Africa countries that recorded the highest average HDI improvement over the past decade of any region in the world.

Between 1970 and 2010, countries in the lowest 25 percent of countries ranked - the majority of them African - improved their overall HDI achievement by 82 percent, twice the global average.

The report shows that extreme poverty has declined in both Kenya and Nigeria, noting that these advances are attributable in part to improvements in water, sanitation, health and other living standards.

Mauritius is the highest HDI achiever in sub-Saharan Africa followed by Gabon Botswana, Namibia and South Africa.

Nonetheless, sub-Saharan Africa is still home to the 10 countries with the lowest HDI levels of the 187 nations and territories included in the 2011 index.

The 10 countries that place last in the 2011 HDI are all in sub-Saharan Africa: Guinea, Central African Republic, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Chad, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

These low-HDI nations still suffer from inadequate incomes, limited schooling opportunities, and life expectancies far below world averages, partly due to deaths from preventable and treatable diseases such as malaria and AIDS.

The report added that in many of these countries lingering armed conflict had further compounded the problem.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5746922-146/nigeria_places_156_on_un_quality.csp
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by edogirl2: 11:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
31 countries are worse than nigeria. shock!
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by ektbear: 6:59am On Nov 03, 2011
^-- how is Philly treating you?
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Jarus(m): 7:42am On Nov 03, 2011
Naija never carry last. Lol
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by juman(m): 8:43am On Nov 03, 2011
One Nigeria = Backwardness.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by OmoLisabi(m): 9:01am On Nov 03, 2011
Chei, headache won kill me, see naija
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by eghost247(m): 9:38am On Nov 03, 2011
anybody surprised should be hit on the head
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Kx: 9:44am On Nov 03, 2011
in a class of 187, your position is 156.
no comment
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by blackpanda: 9:47am On Nov 03, 2011
We will get there eventually, at least there are signs of improvement!
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by anishe(m): 9:51am On Nov 03, 2011
which position did Libya occupy?
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 03, 2011
blackpanda:

We will get there eventually, at least there are signs of improvement!
you are kidding. What signs if i may ask?
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by juliebest(f): 10:01am On Nov 03, 2011
we try sef. i tot it'd be 186
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by DAY12(m): 10:04am On Nov 03, 2011
Up Nigeria! grin

We try sah 156 outta 187 tongue
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Ranoscky(m): 10:28am On Nov 03, 2011
[b]F[/b]uck the stat.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by KacHemNaU(m): 10:31am On Nov 03, 2011
DAY11.:

Up Nigeria! grin

We try sah 156 outta 187 tongue

try ke! Wer were we wen the rest 155 countries filled those slots. Abi did d no1 on the list com from heaven?
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Akingbiz: 10:34am On Nov 03, 2011
Nigeria we are still moving.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Gbenge77(m): 11:16am On Nov 03, 2011
Too bad.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by naijadanny: 11:19am On Nov 03, 2011
dat means we are negatively giant of Africa.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by TenKobo1: 11:27am On Nov 03, 2011
I will be lying if i tell you am surprised.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by otumfour(m): 11:27am On Nov 03, 2011
so Ghana is the only west African country in blue shocked shocked

Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by mickey339(m): 11:33am On Nov 03, 2011
Not that bad, we are improving either positive or negative at least we are not stagnant,
Nigeria too sure
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by mickey339(m): 11:37am On Nov 03, 2011
@Otumufor What colour is Nigeria in, I guess is green
lol
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by xanadu333: 11:48am On Nov 03, 2011
thanks to GEJ
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by onchefx: 11:57am On Nov 03, 2011
with peoples destruction party (pdp),we will keep going down and down the rating
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by kellynoah: 11:58am On Nov 03, 2011
oooohh my beloved country, see what Boko Haram, Niger deltan militancy, politician, kidnappers, and some self acclaimed religious leaders has caused thee, I cried for my beloved country NIGERIA. OH Nigerians where is de labour of our hero past? where is the peace and unity dat we where known for? oh my beloved country, who shall defend thee in time like this? lets arise oh compatriot
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by wewe1(m): 11:59am On Nov 03, 2011
Sun of god:

Nigeria is placed 156 out of 187 countries in a new UN study, which ranks countries on their education, income and life expectancy.

The 2011 Human Development Index (HDI) released on Wednesday by the UN Development Programme (UNDP) put Norway, Australia and the Netherlands on the top three countries to live in.

Nigeria placed 142 out of 169 a year ago and was listed among “least human development” countries in terms of wealth and low educational ranking.

However, the 2011 HDI covered a record 187 countries and territories, up from 169 in 2010 and according to the authors, the 2011 country rankings “are therefore not comparable” to last years figures.

The 2011 report entitled ‘Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All’, put Nigeria’s life expectancy at 51.9 years, below that of Libya at 74, Mauritus 73.4, Gabon 62.7 and South Africa, 52.8.

The UN ranks a country’s life expectancy by the number of years a newborn infant could expect to live if prevailing pattern of age specific mortality rates at the time of birth stay the same throughout the infants life.

A country’s educational achievements is assessed by combining adult literacy rates along with enrolment in primary, secondary and university institutions.

On education, the index on Nigeria shows that the average number of years of schooling received by people’s ages 25 and older is 5.0.

The report puts the highest possible years of schooling for a child in Nigeria at 8.9, if the prevailing patterns of age-specific enrolment rates persist throughout the child’s life.

With a gross national income (GNI) per capita of $2,069, Nigeria lags behind countries like Equatorial Guinea ($17,608), Botswana ($13,049) and Gabon ($12,249).

However the report shows Nigeria to be among sub-Saharan Africa countries that recorded the highest average HDI improvement over the past decade of any region in the world.

Between 1970 and 2010, countries in the lowest 25 percent of countries ranked - the majority of them African - improved their overall HDI achievement by 82 percent, twice the global average.

The report shows that extreme poverty has declined in both Kenya and Nigeria, noting that these advances are attributable in part to improvements in water, sanitation, health and other living standards.

Mauritius is the highest HDI achiever in sub-Saharan Africa followed by Gabon Botswana, Namibia and South Africa.

Nonetheless, sub-Saharan Africa is still home to the 10 countries with the lowest HDI levels of the 187 nations and territories included in the 2011 index.

The 10 countries that place last in the 2011 HDI are all in sub-Saharan Africa: Guinea, Central African Republic, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Chad, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

These low-HDI nations still suffer from inadequate incomes, limited schooling opportunities, and life expectancies far below world averages, partly due to deaths from preventable and treatable diseases such as malaria and AIDS.

The report added that in many of these countries lingering armed conflict had further compounded the problem.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5746922-146/nigeria_places_156_on_un_quality.csp

Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
The truth is that there is no good quality of life in Nigeria. It is appalling for that to be happening in a land blessed with abundant resources, both human and natural resources which are now more like curses. The leaders are largely to be held accountable for that poor quality of life- simple reason they couldn't provide the basic amenities for the teeming population. Are the leaders reasonable at all!?It is annoying to be seeing something like this coming from Nigeria.

Ignorant and silly corrupt leaders!!! The major problem I have with the country is the foolish leadership!And, it is getting on my nerves! GROSS!
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by daywatcher: 12:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
i stopped paying attention to this stats a long time ago
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Koolking(m): 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
with this startling revelation how is Nigeria better than Libya's even with sat-tight attitude of late ghadaffi. for 50yrs of post-colonial era, how are our presidents of 4-yrs single term with conspicuous corruption, waste and treasury looting better than Libya's ghadafi era? his 'delusions of grandeur' got him what he deserved, however, he had the interests of libyan at hearts. I wish our leaders could learn even from his fall.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by lafuria1(m): 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nigeria is the giant black sheep of Africa
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 03, 2011
Koolking:

with this startling revelation how is Nigeria better than Libya's even with sat-tight attitude of late ghadaffi. for 50yrs of post-colonial era, how are our presidents of 4-yrs single term with conspicuous corruption, waste and treasury looting better than Libya's ghadafi era? his 'delusions of grandeur' got him what he deserved, however, he had the interests of libyan at hearts. I wish our leaders could learn even from his fall.
while comparing Lybia with Nigeria is an individual thing. I for one would rather live in a country where I am free to assert some of my freedom than being placed on fools paradise with intent to make me stuck in laziness. Just the basic amenities which need a lot of attentions then things will work out right unlike Lybians who would have to depend on what one individual dictates. Come on! Stop carrying a servitude mentality. For me Nigeria is better than Lybia in many ways, leaving out the quality of life of the masses.
Re: Nigeria Places 156 Out Of 187 On Un Quality Of Life Index by blackpanda: 12:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
yorke:

you are kidding. What signs if i may ask?

I think the successive military coups and tyrannical govts ladden with brutality and corruption has placed many nigerians in an atmosphere where every govt move is viewed with suspicion and generally there is lack of confidence in the leadership. As a result, it is usually difficult to see any improvement, however be it minute.

That said, if u carefully analyze the recent govt moves in recent times, one thing is clear: there is a genuine desire to move the country out of its deplorable state. For the first time, politics has taken a back seat to ingenuity and resourcefulness in the appointment appointment of cabinet members. The desire to increase our economic potential has intensified. The govt is now focusing more on immediate goals that will bring us out of the depths of poverty: u see this in the genuine desire to provide constant electricity, the reduction of unnecessary govt expenditures, restructuring of our petroleum industry and also the promotion of agriculture as a viable industry for export. Also the government has also shown the desire to reduce unemployment by setting aside funds that can be accessed in this regard. Security measures are also being taken to reduce the incidence of terrorism which has been a blow to the nigerian economy and polity in recent times. Further, there is a more intensified effort to reduce the level of corruption in the country. The govt has also focussed on eradicating illiteracy through the restructuring of the education system as well as creation of new universities.

While it is true that we still have a very long way to go, at least we are moving. Rome was not built in a day, and i truly forsee nigeria rising to be the greatest force within the continent. We just need to get our priorities right and focus on whats most important with the limited resources at our disposal. It will also help if fellow Nigerians join hands in developing our society instead of continously seeing evil and impossibilities at every given instance. The difference btw nigerians and south africans (and indeed the rest of the world) is the lack of genuine patrotism and love for country.

Stop the continous (and sometimes unnecessary)  nagging and complaining, rather focus on how each and every one of us can improve even our remote community. It may just be by assisting in tidying ur environment, or volunteering for cmmunity service, teaching in public schools etc. The truth is that govt alone can never build a society

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation / Obiano Launches Intercity Taxi To Link Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka / I will Denounce My Christianity If Being A Christian Means Voting For GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.