Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,375 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Should I Leave My Current Company - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Leave My Current Company (13497 Views)

Lawyers In The House Please Help. Can I Leave My New Job Without Issue / My Current State Of Mind / Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Leave My Current Company by Maths125(m): 9:50am On Jan 01
Happy new year Professionals in the house.

I need an advice as regards my career

I just got a new job with a startup as a Business Analyst with Salary of 300k. Pension, health included

I am currently working in a well established company with a salary of 170k. Pension, healthcare included also

I am afraid of the unknown, there is comfort in my current company

Tomorrow 2nd will determine if I will resign or not. What if my current company decided to increase my Salary to 250k. Should I stay or not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Laird(m): 10:16am On Jan 01
A lot of startups failed last year as purchasing power of most Nigerians is low

A lot of start ups may run out of funding

Slow and stable or fast but unstable

You think and decide which is better in the long term

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by dominique(f): 11:13am On Jan 01
Even though I don't encourage stagnancy and complacency, before you make any move from your comfort zone do your proper findings about where you're about to go. I know of someone that left his job paying fairly well to a better paying job only to get axed within a year when the company was downsizing to save cost. Take to google and do your research on the job. Enter keywords like 'is xyz company a good place to work'? Some of the results will bring you back to Nairaland sef. My prayer is that the unemployed underemployed in this country find themselves in this position very soon by God's grace.

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by phemmie06(m): 1:41pm On Jan 02
Go out of your comfort zone but remember that any fish that leaves its comfort zone (water) to the land will regret it.
The number of existence of the company maters, the pedigree of the management matters just let God leads

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Offpoint1: 1:41pm On Jan 02
Start up paying you 300k? Is it oil company? 😂

Funding will run out and lay off is inevitable, and your position will be the first set of folks to go.

If it was a tech company and you have a valuable skill, I'd say you take the job.

A startup paying anyone 300k have no clue of business. Start with 100-150k and increase when you start seeing consistent progress.

21 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by jiz: 1:43pm On Jan 02
Hmmm
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Chicagograduate(m): 1:43pm On Jan 02
Which one be business analyst?Is that a productive position or you will just be receiving salary for not doing anything?

6 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by israelmao(m): 1:43pm On Jan 02
I advise you to keep you current job because considering the current business environment one can't tell with precision the survivability of a start-up business in Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by tunwumi: 1:44pm On Jan 02
It's a risk however you can never say never. Can you apply for medical vacation in your present place of work and see what the startup have on 👛

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by yetmao: 1:44pm On Jan 02
Close eye and go
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by rogerman: 1:45pm On Jan 02
Move to the new job. This is a 70%+ pay raise which you will not get at your current place.

Even if the startup company folds after 1 year, you can always beg the other one to take you back.

Be a man and make some extra money. 2024 is going to be tougher than what we have seen

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Gist4u: 1:45pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

I just got a new job with a startup as a Business Analyst with Salary of 300k. Pension, health included

I am currently working in a well established company with a salary of 170k. Pension, healthcare included also

Tomorrow 2nd will determine if I will resign or not. What if my current company decided to increase my Salary to 250k. Should I stay or not.

Stay with your current o.

Please I need a good job pls. Some one recommend me

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Artiiclebeast: 1:45pm On Jan 02
E dey sweet and easy to allocate huge salaries to attract the best of the best hands to help kickstart a start-up but as time goes on and the economic realities begin to reveal themselves, you'd be stuck with months of unpaid salaries before they begin to lose steam and close shop.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by money121(m): 1:46pm On Jan 02
Ok
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by marvellous2222: 1:46pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

oga go on your knee and ask God for divine direction....he will lead you on what to do....... Because God sees the future

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by sofeo(m): 1:46pm On Jan 02
It's well.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Kizzygentle: 1:46pm On Jan 02
All of u coming here to say should I leave this for this, or choose out of this, please this is a new year abeg... Let the poor breathe and stop the intimidation... Thank you... You are welcome...
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Lanre1st(m): 1:46pm On Jan 02
Have you listened to KWAN1 song that says “Ogbo kuku Ojo, Odomi nu agbada nu”

Start up business with start up problems, though it good to explore and test once ability, it helps to grow fast but have back up plan. If it doesn’t last can you survive as consultancy or freelance, can you get another job easily, do you have what to start your own business profitability. If yes, give it a trial
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Walker89(m): 1:48pm On Jan 02
Don't be in a hurry to leave just yet.
Most start ups find it difficult to keep up. I believe ur current company have been there for years and know how the trend works. Do proper research b4 u decide on the next step to take so as to avoid "had I known"

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by johnog4sure: 1:48pm On Jan 02
This is my advice:
1. Negotiate remote or flexible working conditions with the new company.
2. Take the offer while still maintaining ur position in the old company. juggle them both for a month and if it works fine continue that way.
3. Start honing your skills, because when a ship is capsizing it is not the captain that is thrown in the sea, it is baggage. What I mean is remain relevant to both companies and even other companies that may be interested in your skillset, and everybody would want to have you and keep you!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Namaster: 1:48pm On Jan 02
Unless your current company is willing to match the offer or at least go up to #250K, LEAVE!

The MATERIAL difference is too SIGNIFICANT to let the fear of the unknown stop you. An additional #130K/month would cushion the harsh effects of the current economy.

Finally, a startup offers more challenges that'll help you hone your skills and become more marketable in the future.

ALSO, there's MORE room for exponential growth in a startup.

VERDICT

1. LEAVE!
2. If your current company can match the offer, or 250K, STAY since you like the environment.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by ManishSmith(m): 1:49pm On Jan 02
Startups is a 50:50, you might wanna take the risk, if the company survives that’s good but if it does not you’ll have to start all over again
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Forumites: 1:50pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

I advise you stay at your current company. The country is hard oh so abeg stay where u are as Rome wasn’t built in a day. Certainly you can leave when the coast is clearer.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Oluchiugo: 1:50pm On Jan 02
Like someone said above, lots of start up companies are folding up due to low purchasing power of people. I left a job where I was worshipped to another(start up) in 2022. After less than 6 months, office politics and poor income came up and I lost the new job cos they were trying to cut cost and my pay was too high for them. I WILL NEVER ADVISE YOU TO LEAVE A WELL ESTABLISHED COMPANY FR A START UP......My one cent

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by MeineMutter: 1:51pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

What’s the startup into? Who are the financiers or the core investors?
Are you privy to seeding patterns of future investments coming into the startup?

Who are the target customers of the startup?

Who are, currently, main (established) competitors of the startup?

Who are potential competitors of the startup?

What’s the pedigrees of the founders and those on Board when it comes to business knowledge, risks appetite, and their performance track records?

It’s good you know and share those (and more) I mentioned above with people here on NL for them to guide you.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Correctbro1: 1:51pm On Jan 02
Yes. So another guy can fill up. You too don chop enough
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by binswoli: 1:52pm On Jan 02
This life is all about this, just take the new job bro.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Bullet01(f): 1:52pm On Jan 02
I need a job o. Abeg
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by ednut1(m): 1:52pm On Jan 02
Who are the investors of the start up Does the startup have prospects in Nigeria Have the owners or key people been involved in startups previously

Like most people have said its 50:50
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Majesty7: 1:53pm On Jan 02
This is a new year. Atleast make lies reduce. Startup... #300k Maybe they want to use you guys to test waters. An established coy was paying you #170k and a startup wants to pay you double for doing the same or lesser thing? The startup will definitely not last

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Ministry Vs LIRS / How To Pass Personality Tests / Steps To Success In Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.