Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 (19248 Views)

Tunji-Ojo Test Runs E-Gates At Abuja Airport (Photos) / Automation Of Passport Application 99% Done, To Go Live Next Week – Tunji-Ojo / Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo In NYSC Certificate Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Judolisco(m): 7:16am On Jan 03
forgiveness:
Hon. Minister, is it possible to pass the border without human contact? Because those shameless immigration forcefully collect money to stamp your passport to go out and even enter your own country.

In fact, all the agencies at the border collect money from Nigerians and even Africans.

Is it also possible to rearrange the clearance of containers at the ports and borders? Because the agent use this opportunity to exploit importers which results to inflation.

They will never allow you to know the real fee of the shipping company, terminal and custom clearance because importers are not allowed to generate the invoice by themselves except through the agent.

I will advise that it be mandated that invoice must be sent to owners directly through email and owners should pay directly into the government account with the name the importer used to import into Nigeria.

That will reduce inflation because some agent with the collaboration of customs wants to make between 1.5m - 2m naira on importation of just one car alone besides others fees.

The owners of these cars wouldn't want to loose money hence add the agent 2m, other fees and his own profits on the vehicle making it extremely expensive. This is where inflation is also coming from.

Owners must be involved in direct payment of imported goods. Assigning this to agent tantamount to being exploited.

Hon minister of Interior, you can do it, sir.
is there any country u enter without human contact? What he should do is to use technology to reduce bribe taking... In America they use body cameras..... U can't switch off your body cam.. He should use technology... But eliminating human contact from our point of entry is a No No
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by lanre316: 7:17am On Jan 03
Gadafii:
Let me tell you why this might likely not work out

You see the level of corruption in Nigeria is deeper than hades abode. These immigration officers will find a way to frustrate this online process in a such a way that you won’t have option but to go their offices to either finish the process or pick your passport up, and avenue for them to take bribe as usual

When I applied for mine in 2021, someone who works in the immigration told me to ditch the online portal and go to their office because if they know you applied online they will give you stories and excuses how your own is still delayed, they will frustrate you so much you won’t have any other option than wait for several months or bribe them to fasten the process for you

Mine came out within a week, meanwhile a colleague that had applied in Lagos office for the past three months hadn’t gotten his, that was the period there was a claim no paper or what ever to print the passports

If this automation option must work, a lot of corrupt people must be removed from the immigration, then adequate infrastructure provide to support the portal, because Nigeria is notoriously for having network downtime or failure when it comes to online application and registration. Jamb is a good example, year in year out they always encounter server downtime at critical times

You're 100% correct.

When I read the headline, I laughed. No be the same Nigeria we dey?
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by RPG2020(m): 7:18am On Jan 03
Passport is not the problem Nigerian facing we have bigger problems
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Judolisco(m): 7:20am On Jan 03
Ashirioluwa:
Exactly how it should be: if an applicant has the national identity number (NIN) and the number can be verified, then there is no need for biometrics or to be fingerprinted again to obtain a passport since we have been fingerprinted during the NIN registration.

This will save the government money, and the passport processing time will be greatly reduced.

Our immigration officers will not be happy of this development because it will spoil their business. Anyway, those crooks will look for other ways.

d one wey dem chop Don do.. Yeye immigration officers

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Ravenna: 7:20am On Jan 03
TheRareGem1:

Do they apply passport at the border? The caption is straight forward and easy to grap, why Re you stressing yourself

Pls leave that guy, na Flattie.

We are talking Online passport, he's talking Imports.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Judolisco(m): 7:23am On Jan 03
VULCAN:
Name 5 other ministers doing well.

And mention what they have done in over 6months

Tunji-Ojo is the only one doing well and he is doing excellently well.

The rest are mostly garbage

d tunji guy is like d jamb registrar guy prof oloyede.... U must feel their impact.... See Hw d jamb guy changed d way jamb was being written within 2 yrs... Omo

2 Likes

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Judolisco(m): 7:25am On Jan 03
Gadafii:
Let me tell you why this might likely not work out

You see the level of corruption in Nigeria is deeper than hades abode. These immigration officers will find a way to frustrate this online process in a such a way that you won’t have option but to go their offices to either finish the process or pick your passport up, and avenue for them to take bribe as usual

When I applied for mine in 2021, someone who works in the immigration told me to ditch the online portal and go to their office because if they know you applied online they will give you stories and excuses how your own is still delayed, they will frustrate you so much you won’t have any other option than wait for several months or bribe them to fasten the process for you

Mine came out within a week, meanwhile a colleague that had applied in Lagos office for the past three months hadn’t gotten his, that was the period there was a claim no paper or what ever to print the passports

If this automation option must work, a lot of corrupt people must be removed from the immigration, then adequate infrastructure provide to support the portal, because Nigeria is notoriously for having network downtime or failure when it comes to online application and registration. Jamb is a good example, year in year out they always encounter server downtime at critical times
na 2021 bdat now.... Baba things Don change oh... D immigration officers go still find way chop but things Don dey relatively easy

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by ijobaoke: 7:27am On Jan 03
Try and get sense in 2024 now
Zandena:
I just don't understand why this minister is always found at immigration office while there are other para-military agencies such as Civil Defence, Fire Service etc under his ministry.
This portrays him as having a particular interest in immigration which many believed was the reason for retention of the current CG who has retired from service since may 2023.
Let the minister also exert the same energy on NSCDC, fire service and members of staff of his ministry.
Minister should sit in his office and work and not roaming around immigration offices!
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Fiscus105(m): 7:44am On Jan 03
Ogbonna24:
The only working minister

Hope u also know that some ministers may be working than him and not choose to be going to media?

Dnt give excellent for a student when u haven't graded other students. The student who submits first may not score the highest mark o.

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Innobee99(m): 7:44am On Jan 03
forgiveness:
Hon. Minister, is it possible to pass the border without human contact? Because those shameless immigration forcefully collect money to stamp your passport to go out and even enter your own country.

In fact, all the agencies at the border collect money from Nigerians and even Africans.

Is it also possible to rearrange the clearance of containers at the ports and borders? Because the agent use this opportunity to exploit importers which results to inflation.

They will never allow you to know the real fee of the shipping company, terminal and custom clearance because importers are not allowed to generate the invoice by themselves except through the agent.

I will advise that it be mandated that invoice must be sent to owners directly through email and owners should pay directly into the government account with the name the importer used to import into Nigeria.

That will reduce inflation because some agent with the collaboration of customs wants to make between 1.5m - 2m naira on importation of just one car alone besides others fees.

The owners of these cars wouldn't want to loose money hence add the agent 2m, other fees and his own profits on the vehicle making it extremely expensive. This is where inflation is also coming from.

Owners must be involved in direct payment of imported goods. Assigning this to agent tantamount to being exploited.

God bless u Sir
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by rafcrown(m): 7:45am On Jan 03
Good news but please complete ior build more prisons to store or keep the criminals in the country.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Metronomy(m): 7:47am On Jan 03
forgiveness:

You're talking from your own point of view but if I may tell you, those agents has their responsibilities.

And no one is hiding either terminal or shipping invoice from importer, many importers that think like this sometimes are dubious themselves.

There's no way an importer will meet a straightforward clearing agency without all invoices not being transparent.

Human contact can't be 100% eradicated but I think Government can still do more.

In addition, anybody can be a licensed Agent.
Even an importer can be self clearance. So, their is no law that says you can't clear your container or your car by yourself.

The reasons giving to people that are doing it consistently is because the industry is very volatile, and you need people that are consistent to handle your goods and reduce your cost.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Fiscus105(m): 7:48am On Jan 03
forgiveness:

Channel ur complaint to minister of finance. Port/custom is not under his ministry.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by stevups(m): 7:49am On Jan 03
They don spoil the business for immigrathieves

2 Likes

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by MeineMutter: 8:00am On Jan 03
forgiveness:

This is a good suggestion. We need some high level of automation to get rid of our decade-long corrup_tion.

Our customs officials and all port stakeholders are ro.tten from head to toe , cor,ruption-wise.

That sector needs millions of liters of hypo to wash it clean.

I feel he could see your suggestion if you go and tag him and other relevant agencies directly on other social media handles.

I am certain a lot of Nigerians and importers and exporters will buttress your points and add their own take too.

With this, we could start resolving/break a lot of bottlenecks that our civil service has created.

I went to a very gigantic builders/construction shop here called Hornbach to pick what I ordered overnight. 7:30am the next day, the order was ready and a staff was already waiting for me.
I got there and a beep of scanner on the product sent me an automated email that I was now in the shop to pick my order and requested I confirm if I was truly the one in the shop.

Another beep on it at another desk sent me an invoice within seconds. Nobody asks for any tips or egunje here before they do their works.

The level of super-responsive automation in developed world is highly phenomenal and it cuts off a lot of middlemen, making prices of things to be cheaper.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Tywo2018: 8:05am On Jan 03
The Minister must be protected at all cost..

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by luminouz(m): 8:05am On Jan 03
Zandena:
I just don't understand why this minister is always found at immigration office while there are other para-military agencies such as Civil Defence, Fire Service etc under his ministry.
This portrays him as having a particular interest in immigration which many believed was the reason for retention of the current CG who has retired from service since may 2023.
Let the minister also exert the same energy on NSCDC, fire service and members of staff of his ministry.
Minister should sit in his office and work and not roaming around immigration offices!

Lazy YOUTH!!!

You no dey read?

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Shaev7(m): 8:09am On Jan 03
Let them start it. Before I believe! All these audio statements...
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by cardoctor(m): 8:19am On Jan 03
One speed automatic or 10 speed?
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by MeineMutter: 8:19am On Jan 03
seunayantokun:
You will still need to be there in person for biometric capturing, but it makes the whole process extremely faster and much more comfortable.

Just appear for biometric capturing and disappear to await invitation to pick up your passport. Commendable!

If they really want to kill corruption in that place and further grow the POST and courier industry as a whole, simply make passports deliverable to owners' given home addresses only by post. Other government ministries, départements, and agencies can follow suit. Boom! Jobs surplus in the post and courier service industry declared!

Public vaults and storage businesses, using electronic keys would really help. A lot of house addresses in Nigeria are not traceable in villages, towns, and cities.

Public boxes like the one being used by Amazon, DHL, etc would be a perfect alternative.

Once your passport is ready, the courier company picking on your behalf will just drop it in any of those secured boxes around your neighborhood. Yours is to go there with electronic codes sent to you to open the box and another confirmation code would be sent again when you are opening the box for you to finally open with your correct details typed into the electronic keyboard on each box and boom!

It makes life easier.

2 Likes

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Dbestbrest: 8:26am On Jan 03
This is a very good development as it will eliminate extortion from applicants by the immigration officials. This minister knows his onion. He will reshape the architecture of internal ministry

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by MeineMutter: 8:29am On Jan 03
We can even have mini-immigration offices spreaded across our town and cities life VFS office.

Their main work would only be to capture you and send your data, electronically, to central database where it would be processed further.

So, as we fill form online, we go to mini-immigration offices may be attached to banks etc for capturing and when our passport is printed, we get SMS and email messages to come and pick it if we don’t want it sent to us.

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by drehdinho(m): 8:33am On Jan 03
Zandena:

You clearly have not been reading news about this very minister.

So far he’s the best of all the Nigerian ministers have ever seen.

His performance is solid and he does his thing without any noise.

Honestly, I really like the man.

This very passport processing, sometimes it takes months even in some cases up to a year to get.

But look at it now, he’s making life easy for the people.

That’s the sole purpose of appointing him as a minister of interior.

2 Likes

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Fearyourcreator: 8:34am On Jan 03
Zandena:
You work at immigration... Na una dey estort people lolzzz... Enisorire

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Allisgud: 8:45am On Jan 03
The way Japa go easy now no be small,we will need another airport in badagry
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by CrownOfClay724: 8:46am On Jan 03
Khyrvxjzy:

ipob

Hopeless miscreant like you .
Poverty has so eaten deep into you and your kind you feel it's only Easterners that do importation Business
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Tetraozonaitera: 8:54am On Jan 03
forgiveness:

Mind your business sincce you lack comprehension skills.

Where did you see passport is applied at the border in my write up? You bi olodo.
I think say your name is forgiveness

Why u no forgive am

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by MightyHand(m): 8:55am On Jan 03
Zandena:

M*dman you are.
Enemy of our country you are.

Isha Allah Nigeria will get rid of your folks in due time.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by ghettochild(m): 8:56am On Jan 03
forgiveness:

Na here u dey give this advise. Why not go to his Twitter handle.. Na wah for u Ooo.

1 Like

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by SuperbCrown: 9:00am On Jan 03
I want to believe his good work has blocked your illegal ways of making money. You na go cry and re-cry. Nigeria will work

Zandena:

2 Likes

Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by XAUBulls: 9:18am On Jan 03
TheRareGem1:

Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo inspected facilities of the @nigimmigration alongside the Comptroller General of the Service, Wura-Ola Adepoju.

This is coming ahead of the automation of the passport application process, which will begin from January 8, 2024, where Nigerians will be able to apply and complete their passport application process online without human contact.

That's impressive.
Re: Tunji-Ojo: Automatic Passport Application Process To Start January 8 by Slurity(m): 9:23am On Jan 03
WOW. What a smart way of cutting bribery and corruption going on with immigration .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Slam Lauretta Onochie Over Comment On President Buhari's Health / "We Are Not Corrupt!" - Nigerian Police To NBS / Presidential Panel Announces Recovery Of N3 Billion From Two Civil Servants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.