Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,513 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction (18930 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sao Tomé And Príncipe: AFCON 2023 Qualifier (10- 0) On 13th June 2021 / West Ham Vs Man Utd: Solskjaer To Be Without Three Key Players For EPL Clash / Man City May Lose Key Players Including Guardiola If They Win The UCL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by robosky02(m): 9:40am On Jan 02
AFCON 2023 Nigeria – Team guide, key players, lineup, prediction

All you need to know about the Super Eagles of Nigeria ahead of AFCON 2023

Owing to a historic ability to turn up when the chips are down, Nigeria typically goes into international tournaments with a measure of optimism. How much of that is self-fulfilling is up for debate; in any case, due in part to a shocking start to the 2026 World Cup qualifying series, there is much less belief this time in the lead-up to the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Ivory Coast.

The Super Eagles came through qualifying with minimal fuss, the only blemish coming in an odd 1-0 defeat on home soil against Guinea-Bissau. They scored more goals than any other side in the series, but any suggestion of rude health would be an overstatement: over the course of 2023 Nigeria boast a mixed record of four wins, three draws and one loss.

The history
Nigeria is one of the more successful participants at AFCON throughout history, having reached the final seven times and medalled on 15 separate occasions. In spite of that, there is still a sense of underachievement on account of having only won it thrice.

In their last outing in 2021, they were one of the stronger performers in the Group Stage (dominating and beating eventual runners-up Egypt), but crumbled in the face of stern opposition in the Round of 16.

The coach and tactical approach

Two decades ago, on the back of leading Sporting CP to the final of the UEFA Cup, Jose Peseiro’s star was on the rise. His prospects have cooled off since then, and despite having managed three of Portugal’s biggest clubs, he is deeply unpopular amongst Nigeria fans.

His 4-4-2 system, with four forwards slung across the top of the pitch, seeks to leverage the attacking bounty available to him. However, it frequently leaves Nigeria open defensively; the Super Eagles will always be dangerous, but will likely struggle to contain transitions.

Key players
CAF African Player of the Year Victor Osimhen leads the line with distinction for Nigeria, to the extent that even with a plethora of talent in attack, the Super Eagles can look listless without the Napoli man. His athleticism and work ethic often make the best of innocuous situations, and that will be required here.

What little service he gets will likely come via the left boot of Kelechi Iheanacho, whose ability to slide passes through opposing defences is almost entirely unique within the squad as a whole. The Leicester man is also capable of the unexpected, especially with his shooting from distance.

With Peseiro paying scant little attention to the middle of the park, a lot will rest on Wilfred Ndidi’s shoulders and his ability to both keep things secure in midfield and protect the defence.

Young player to watch
Raphael Onyedika is a metronome at the base of midfield of the ilk that Nigeria has been crying out for. The Club Brugge man, 22, has strangely not been popular with Peseiro, but in cameo appearances, as well as in his sole start for the Super Eagles, he has displayed enough that he really should be a starter. His range of passing, as well as his positional discipline and his willingness to receive from the centre-backs, should make him an asset if trusted.

Probable lineup
Francis Uzoho; Bright Osayi-Samuel, Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey, Bruno Onyemaechi; Wilfred Ndidi, Alex Iwobi; Kelechi Iheanacho, Victor Osimhen, Victor Boniface, Moses Simon.

Tournament prediction
Nigeria simply are not a balanced side, a fact that, as they found out in the last edition, does not translate well to knockout football against the stronger sides. A runner-up spot in the group would present a tricky Round of 16 tie, but the quarter-final stage will probably be the limit of their involvement.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/afcon-2023-nigeria-team-guide-key-players-lineup-prediction-2024010119510641369

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by atiku4President(m): 9:41am On Jan 02
How much are they selling calculator now? I know say I go need am when the tournament starts

90 Likes 10 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by TemplarLandry: 9:43am On Jan 02
cool

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by robosky02(m): 9:45am On Jan 02
Let's go there all the updates before the AFCON will be here

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by robosky02(m): 9:50am On Jan 02
AFCON 2023: Super Eagles camp opens in Abu Dhabi today

The Super Eagles will begin preparations for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on Tuesday (today).

Majority of the 25 players named on the squad for the competition are expected to hit the Asian country from their different bases across Europe.

The quartet of Samuel Chukwueze, Francis Uzoho, William Troost-EKong and Umar Sadiq will however link up with their teammates in camp on Wednesday after they were granted permission by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to play for their clubs today.

The Super Eagles will spend one week in Abu Dhabi, where they are expected to perfect strategies ahead of the 2023 AFCON finals.

Jose Peseiro’s side will return to Lagos on Wednesday, January 10, before traveling to Abidjan same day for the competition.

The three-time African champions are drawn in Group A with hosts Cote d’Ivoire Equatorial Guinea and Guinea-Bissau.

The Super Eagles will open their campaign against fellow West Africans, Equatorial Guinea at the Alssanne Quattara Stadium, Ebimpe, Abidjan on Sunday, January 14.

Nigeria will come up against hosts Cote d’Ivoire at the same venue four days later.

They will round up their group stage campaign against Guinea-Bissau on Monday, January 22.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by robosky02(m): 9:53am On Jan 02
Worry, Anxiety In Nigeria, As super eagles number 1 Francis Uzoho Is Set To Arrive Super Eagles UAE Camp Late

The 25-year-old may arrive Super Eagles later than the initial 1st January 2024, date by CAF.

Omonia Nicosia is in dire need of their senior experienced goalie as first choice goalkeeper is out injured.

Reports say the Cypriot giants have written to the NFF so it forgive the shot-stopper's late arrival.

The former Deportivo la Coruna safe-hands, is expected to man Super Eagles goal at the 2024 AFCON.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by money121(m): 9:58am On Jan 02
Ok
Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by NobleSeed(m): 9:58am On Jan 02
Francis uzoho pls cut soap for me 😂 😂
After he's nonsense parformance them still call am?
Time to make money on he's head once him dey goal post...
a weaker team to score or win either half 😂
No cast the update ✅

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by Occurstaem(m): 9:59am On Jan 02
I don't expect much from them.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with that view. My own is that our own star boy - Osimhen - must not be disgraced.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by ablejesus26(m): 10:01am On Jan 02
atiku4President:
How much are they selling calculator now? I know say I go need am when the tournament starts

grin grin grin grin grin

You suppose buy medicine for heartache join am oo grin

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by planetx: 10:02am On Jan 02
robosky02:
Worry, Anxiety In Nigeria, As super eagles number 1 Francis Uzoho Is Set To Arrive Super Eagles UAE Camp Late

The 25-year-old may arrive Super Eagles later than the initial 1st January 2024, date by CAF.

Omonia Nicosia is in dire need of their senior experienced goalie as first choice goalkeeper is out injured.

Reports say the Cypriot giants have written to the NFF so it forgive the shot-stopper's late arrival.

The former Deportivo la Coruna safe-hands, is expected to man Super Eagles goal at the 2024 AFCON.
This guy again? Is it that the country cannot find another goalkeeper ni, what happened to the Okoye guy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by GoodRocks: 10:02am On Jan 02
I'll rather watch Egypt play than to watch super chickens jumping up and down with their irrelevant back pass on the pitch.

Super chickens will be knocked out ASAP , they won't even pass their group stage. No be super chickens again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by bigdammyj: 10:02am On Jan 02
Following...
Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by Forumites: 10:03am On Jan 02
It’s time to use only Fulani players so they can make Nigeria proud. All other tribes should step down for them.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by ecolime(m): 10:03am On Jan 02
atiku4President:
grin

Another time for Permutation and Combination

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by drsteroid(m): 10:03am On Jan 02
We wish them all the best! My greatest fear is uzoho manning the goal post. He should have given the home based goalkeepers a chance. Obas of Bendel insurance and the remo stars goal keepers did fantastically well. Enyeama went to the world Cup as an enyimba player and did well against England in 2002 World Cup.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by HardBishop: 10:04am On Jan 02
the present super eagles are not disciplined in the field. easily tired and aren't tactical. just see the way man city are playing.... I really enjoyed their style of play

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by mrrandomguy: 10:04am On Jan 02
The Nigerian team I have seen can not qualify for the knockout stage.
Those guys play like someone whose destinies have been destroyed by a woman with waist beads.

6 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by abobote: 10:04am On Jan 02
Not expecting much from them, especially with this coach.

Going to watch their second match live

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by DDIA: 10:05am On Jan 02
Nigeria’s National football team is just like Nigerian girls.

I don’t need to complete it cool

Where is Mosdii? cool

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by free2ryhme: 10:05am On Jan 02
robosky02:
AFCON 2023 Nigeria – Team guide, key players, lineup, prediction

All you need to know about the Super Eagles of Nigeria ahead of AFCON 2023

Owing to a historic ability to turn up when the chips are down, Nigeria typically goes into international tournaments with a measure of optimism. How much of that is self-fulfilling is up for debate; in any case, due in part to a shocking start to the 2026 World Cup qualifying series, there is much less belief this time in the lead-up to the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Ivory Coast.

The Super Eagles came through qualifying with minimal fuss, the only blemish coming in an odd 1-0 defeat on home soil against Guinea-Bissau. They scored more goals than any other side in the series, but any suggestion of rude health would be an overstatement: over the course of 2023 Nigeria boast a mixed record of four wins, three draws and one loss.

The history
Nigeria is one of the more successful participants at AFCON throughout history, having reached the final seven times and medalled on 15 separate occasions. In spite of that, there is still a sense of underachievement on account of having only won it thrice.

In their last outing in 2021, they were one of the stronger performers in the Group Stage (dominating and beating eventual runners-up Egypt), but crumbled in the face of stern opposition in the Round of 16.

The coach and tactical approach

Two decades ago, on the back of leading Sporting CP to the final of the UEFA Cup, Jose Peseiro’s star was on the rise. His prospects have cooled off since then, and despite having managed three of Portugal’s biggest clubs, he is deeply unpopular amongst Nigeria fans.

His 4-4-2 system, with four forwards slung across the top of the pitch, seeks to leverage the attacking bounty available to him. However, it frequently leaves Nigeria open defensively; the Super Eagles will always be dangerous, but will likely struggle to contain transitions.

Key players
CAF African Player of the Year Victor Osimhen leads the line with distinction for Nigeria, to the extent that even with a plethora of talent in attack, the Super Eagles can look listless without the Napoli man. His athleticism and work ethic often make the best of innocuous situations, and that will be required here.

What little service he gets will likely come via the left boot of Kelechi Iheanacho, whose ability to slide passes through opposing defences is almost entirely unique within the squad as a whole. The Leicester man is also capable of the unexpected, especially with his shooting from distance.

With Peseiro paying scant little attention to the middle of the park, a lot will rest on Wilfred Ndidi’s shoulders and his ability to both keep things secure in midfield and protect the defence.

Young player to watch
Raphael Onyedika is a metronome at the base of midfield of the ilk that Nigeria has been crying out for. The Club Brugge man, 22, has strangely not been popular with Peseiro, but in cameo appearances, as well as in his sole start for the Super Eagles, he has displayed enough that he really should be a starter. His range of passing, as well as his positional discipline and his willingness to receive from the centre-backs, should make him an asset if trusted.

Probable lineup
Francis Uzoho; Bright Osayi-Samuel, Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey, Bruno Onyemaechi; Wilfred Ndidi, Alex Iwobi; Kelechi Iheanacho, Victor Osimhen, Victor Boniface, Moses Simon.

Tournament prediction
Nigeria simply are not a balanced side, a fact that, as they found out in the last edition, does not translate well to knockout football against the stronger sides. A runner-up spot in the group would present a tricky Round of 16 tie, but the quarter-final stage will probably be the limit of their involvement.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/afcon-2023-nigeria-team-guide-key-players-lineup-prediction-2024010119510641369

Waste of viewership

Nigeria team wont survive group stage
Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by MindOnMatters00(m): 10:06am On Jan 02
Occurstaem:
I don't expect much from them.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with that view. My own is that our own star boy - Osimhen - must not be disgraced.

Bro i also have the same view with you so you are not the only person.

People should just expect less from them to avoid disappointment but still praise them if they do well.

Remember to expect less.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by Adrian9(m): 10:06am On Jan 02
I seriously can't wait for Afcon. I just pray that we get it right this time. We have the greatest players.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by westlius(m): 10:06am On Jan 02
planetx:
This guy again? Is it that the country cannot find another goalkeeper ni, what happened to the Okoye guy.
The guy said he won't play for Nija again

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by HardBishop: 10:07am On Jan 02
Forumites:
It’s time to use only Fulani players so they can make Nigeria proud. All other tribes should step down for them.

you mean them Ahmed Musa or babayaro... ? well I support your claims a little. the northerners are clinical and faster in action than the southern players

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by jamesversion: 10:08am On Jan 02
ablejesus26:

grin grin grin grin grin

You suppose buy medicine for heartache join am oo grin

Arsenal fans know all about it. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by obawinner(m): 10:08am On Jan 02
We have a good team, quite frankly my major worry is our goal keeping department.
It's a demoralizing, eyesores and leaves you with no room to give any optimism to our chances at Afcon.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by KingLennon(m): 10:09am On Jan 02
With a good tactical coach, we should be winning this one. We need a good set-up plan cause we have the players to execute it. They should play Man.city's clips for them to watch everyday sad

5 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by Impregnable101: 10:09am On Jan 02
My fear, Francis ozoho. Dude's a basket in goal
Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by EngrKemp: 10:09am On Jan 02
With uzoho as goal keeper, Nigeria can not sustain winning.
Not even when a goal is a decider
Re: AFCON 2023 Count Down: Nigeria – Team Guide, Key Players, Lineup, Prediction by oxygeng: 10:09am On Jan 02
atiku4President:
No joy grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CR800: Cristiano Ronaldo Scores 800th Career Goal With Villarreal Strike / The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses / Rohr Still In Search Of Quality World Cup Goalkeeper, To Assess Ezenwa With CHAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.