Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 (3216 Views)

4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria. / See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Akaegwu(m): 8:43pm On Jan 02
Major Tribes in Nigeria. Bini, Ikwerres, Aworis, ijaw, itshekiri.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by marsman: 8:58pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

Nice submission:

I’m glad you also added Nupe as the fifth tribe. They have the numbers too and I specifically love Nupe people especially their women with how they do that their dance.

It’s so mesmerizing.
Lmao. This recent election cycle really proved how unmajor some acclaimed major tribes are. Abi, how can call a tribe that even the Ijaws, Tivs, and Kanuris have better chances of delivering their son as president before a major tribe.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:10pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:
OP you are very wrong.

Below are the 4 major tribes.

—Yoruba
—Hausa
—Ijaw
—Kanuri

I kukuma know say u no like Igbo lol

2 Likes

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Akaegwu(m): 9:18pm On Jan 02
marsman:

When and where did elebuibon said this nonsense. Any literate historians knows the word Yoruba existed before any Hausa/Fulani caliphate.. Yoruba or Yoruba has no meaning in the Hausa Fulani vocabulary... Even the sultan of Sokoto has denied hausa/Fulani being the originator of the said name. The word Yoruba was discovered in the papers of Ahmed Baba, a wandering Islamic scholar who lived in 15th - 16th century; much years before your fulani lords lived.
Ahmed Baba got the name from the people of the old Oyo empire during his contact with them

Major Tribes in Nigeria:
Yoruba
Hausa
Fulani
IJaw
Nupe
Stupidity personified.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by ottersberger(m): 9:19pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:
OP you are very wrong.

—Yoruba
—Hausa
—Ijaw
—Kanuri

I think you are wrong. Nigeria has only one major tribe. and it is:

Yoruba. Not what you expected, I know. You must be very disappointed with yourself.

1 Like

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by jamesversion: 9:22pm On Jan 02
Abagworo:

Even in Rivers State there are more Efik-Ibibios than Ijaw. The only part of Port Harcourt you encounter Ijaws is the Borokiri and Amadi/Abuloma area which is a tiny unit compared with landmass and population of the whole city.

This year would be a great year. Me and Abagworo finally agree on something.

Imagine he claimed 1 in 2 Rivers people are Ijaw. grin seriously that guy needs treatment.

He thinks having 9 local government areas equals huge population. Lagos has only 20LGas, Akwa Ibom has 31 LGAs but how far?

Lagos is the smallest state in Landmass, infact, Bayelsa is about 3x the size of Lagos in area but Lagos is 15x more populated?

The Riverine areas of Rivers State is sparsely populated because they have little or no habitable land for proper human livability. Its all made up of swamps, mangrove forest and very little land. They have very small communities made up of few hundred persons.

Infact, if they had initially accepted the Ijaw tag they now bear, most of them would have been merged together to form an LGA.

The reason for creation of many LGAs was because they considered themselves as distinct ethnicities and not one people. Else you can comfortably fit in Bonny, Opobo and Andoni into 1LGA, Okrika Ogu/Bolo into 1LGA. Asari Toru/Akuku Toru into 1 LGA.

1 Like

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by marsman: 9:26pm On Jan 02
Akaegwu:
Stupidity personified.
I find no joy in knowing one of your in born qualities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by LegendHero(m): 9:33pm On Jan 02
ottersberger:

I think you are wrong. Nigeria has only one major tribe. and it is:
Yoruba. Not what you expected, I know. You must be very disappointed with yourself.

So far Yoruba is there, we are good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by DaTruths: 10:48pm On Jan 02
GreatBoss:
1.Yoruba
2.Igbo
3.Hausa
4.Ijaw

I carefully checked this.
So many of who you call Hausa are of different tribes and where Ijaw occupy in Niger Delta is larger than South East Nigeria, but for Igbos in South South, Ijaws would have been larger than Igbo.

The highest numbers of Ijaws are in Rivers State including so many Bayelsans because Port Harcourt is like second Capital City of Bayelsa that came out of Rivers.

Ijaws are in 6 States of Ondo, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa Ibom States, all are fully together and not even scattered by God but Nigeria scattered us.

@General Ditari.

All my life i don't think i have ever met an ijaw person, maybe i have and didn't find out.

But you see Akwa-cross? After igbos they are everywhere.

Ete calabar get population oh.

I mean Efik and Ibibio
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by DaTruths: 10:53pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:
OP you are very wrong.

—Yoruba
—Hausa
—Ijaw
—Kanuri

I'm not igbo, but they are the most populated tribe in Nigeria.

I have been to several states, these guys are in every street of Nigeria in their numbers.

Here in Akwa ibom, i can go one full week without seeing a Yoruba man, but i would definitely see Hausa.

I think its
Igbo
Hausa
Yoruba
Fulani
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by TakeNigeriaBack: 10:55pm On Jan 02
Ijaw is a major tribe?

This is news to me.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by LegendHero(m): 11:01pm On Jan 02
DaTruths:

I have been to several states, these guys are in every street of Nigeria in their numbers.

Here in Akwa ibom, i can go one full week without seeing a Yoruba man, but i would definitely see Hausa.

I think its
Igbo
Hausa
Yoruba
Fulani

Why do you want to see Yoruba in multitude in Akwa Ibom?

In theory of migration, do people migrate to economically advantageous region or disadvantageous region?

Why should I as a Yoruba man leave Yorubaland states and run to Akwa Ibom? Are they sharing money there?

I like you, you seems like the wisest man from Akwa Ibom. I also believe Chinese are infact the least populated ethnic group because ever since I’ve been walking across Ibadan, I haven’t seen more than 20 Chinese. Can you see you are very wise?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by LegendHero(m): 11:03pm On Jan 02
TakeNigeriaBack:
Ijaw is a major tribe?

This is news to me.

For Ijaw to produce the president, they have automatically promoted to majority tribe.

Even me too, I’ve only came across two Ijaws all through my years in this country I’m in. But yet, one Ijaw man is equal to 100 other minority tribe in my eyes.

So:
—One Ijaw man = 100 Ibos
—One Ijaw man = 100 Akwa-Cross (I don’t even know much about them but I know that shouldn’t be a tribe name)

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Abagworo(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

In theory of migration, do people migrate to economically advantageous region or disadvantageous region?

Why should I as a Yoruba man leave Yorubaland states and run to Akwa Ibom? Are they sharing money there?

I like you, you seems like the wisest man from Akwa Ibom. I also believe Chinese are infact the least populated ethnic group because ever since I’ve been walking across Ibadan, I haven’t seen more than 20 Chinese. Can you see you are very wise?

Chinese and Indians are everywhere. They are the most populous nations on earth

2 Likes

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02
GreatBoss:
1.Yoruba
2.Igbo
3.Hausa
4.Ijaw

I carefully checked this.
So many of who you call Hausa are of different tribes and where Ijaw occupy in Niger Delta is larger than South East Nigeria, but for Igbos in South South, Ijaws would have been larger than Igbo.

The highest numbers of Ijaws are in Rivers State including so many Bayelsans because Port Harcourt is like second Capital City of Bayelsa that came out of Rivers.

Ijaws are in 6 States of Ondo, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa Ibom States, all are fully together and not even scattered by God but Nigeria scattered us.

@General Ditari.

I agree with you but I think you have to remove Igbo from number 2 and put Hausa there. There is no way Igbo will be more populous than the Hausa still,it's not possible ! The fact is that the Yoruba are the single largest ethnic group in Nigeria if not the whole of Africa.

1 Like

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by LegendHero(m): 11:11pm On Jan 02
Abagworo:

Chinese and Indians are everywhere. They are the most populous nations on earth

According to Datruths, the wisest man in Akwa Ibom, he must see the Chinese and Indians in every corner of akwa Ibom or any other state before he can acknowledge they are the most populous.

Anything contrary to that, he believes Akwa-Cross people are actually more populous than Chinese.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by 9182736455O1999(m): 11:22pm On Jan 02
DaTruths:

All my life i don't think i have ever met an ijaw person, maybe i have and didn't find out.

But you see Akwa-cross? After igbos they are everywhere.

Ete calabar get population oh.

I mean Efik and Ibibio
Then by your Analogy, it be safe to say "Akwa-ibom ethnic groups are more than the Yorubas."
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by 9182736455O1999(m): 11:26pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

According to Datruths, the wisest man in Akwa Ibom, he must see the Chinese and Indians in every corner of akwa Ibom or any other state before he can acknowledge they are the most populous.

Anything contrary to that, he believes Akwa-Cross people are actually more populous than Chinese.
No mind that guy. I just laugh as I read that him post.

1 Like

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by TakeNigeriaBack: 11:29pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

For Ijaw to produce the president, they have automatically promoted to majority tribe.

Even me too, I’ve only came across two Ijaws all through my years in this country I’m in. But yet, one Ijaw man is equal to 100 other minority tribe in my eyes.

So:
—One Ijaw man = 100 Ibos
—One Ijaw man = 100 Akwa-Cross (I don’t even know much about them but I know that shouldn’t be a tribe name)

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by DaTruths: 11:35pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

But nobody is sharing money in any state na.

Any place can be economically advantageous, it depends on your niche.
Aren't there white expatriates from America here?

Igbos are the most populated tribe in Nigeria by a stretch.
Even in Lagos they can't be less than 3 million igbos at least.

But there is no non yoruba state that yorubas are upto 1 million in population.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by DaTruths: 11:44pm On Jan 02
LegendHero:

Oga Awka-cross is more populated than Ijaw, that's a fact.
If not for oil bunkering and militants,i wouldn't know there is a tribe called ijaw.

As for Nigeria as a whole, igbos are by far the most populated.

Even in your own State, after the indigenous people, igbos are the next most populated.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by orohbirodeysmel: 12:10am On Jan 03
Makavelli001:
Ijaw ke!!!
Ijaw should be the 6th or 7th. Ijawa are not much. Landmass does not determine the population otherwise kanuri and gbagyi would have been the 3rd & 4th .
Ijaws are good in claiming other people as part of their tribe.
The population in their core state which is bayelsa is nothing to write home about.
Effik-Ibibio is far more populated than the ijaws. There is no part of akwa ibom that speak ijaw, they are just trying to claim ibiono to be ijaw because they have oil.

I'm 33 years old, and I can count how many ijaws that I have meet in my life.

I never see Ijaw man before. But you see Ibibio, Anang (Efik people) they are all over the place. As for Akwa Ibom and Edo State and Ondo State, I don't know those claiming Ijaw there, maybe 2 or 3 villages and that doesn't even make up 0.01% of the population of these states
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by sokeril: 12:20am On Jan 03
LegendHero:

So:
—One Ijaw man = 100 Ibos
Big bro. on this forum I always love reading your posts because they make sense now you yourself have joined in the bad things they do here.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Alexis11: 4:19am On Jan 03
DaTruths:

I think its
Igbo
Hausa
Yoruba
Fulani

Lol usual denial. Even Legendhero is not Yoruba. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by mikemiyaki: 4:35am On Jan 03
It's Ibibio. That's the second largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
Ebi2233:

Akwa Cross is no tribe name.

Only Cross River have 17 tribes

Akwa Ibom have 8
Ijaw have 7 and half LGAs in Akwa Ibom
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by ahaz: 4:55am On Jan 03
LegendHero:

So:
—One Ijaw man = 100 Ibos
This small boy , you just dey over act your age, your mates dey read their books to pass WAEC, you just dey sneak inside your bedroom dey type wetin even your father no get liver to type because of na faceless forum.

If you are not a drug abused and messed up kid, you won't type this trash you just did now, had it being you take your government classes seriously cos your type will be at the back of school smoking hemp while the class is in progress, so if you where we'll taught in school, this gibberish for no vomit for your mouth even if you smoke ten bags of weed..mugu.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Brimstone77: 7:51am On Jan 03
LegendHero:

Aside Lagos akwa ibom is more economic viable than the entire remaining over hyped 5 south west states..

Remove Lagos from south west and the rest states are shit holes..
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by FreedomfromtheT: 8:07am On Jan 03
DataMina:
Remove Ijaw from no 4 and put Akwacross. You guys should come after the Urhobo+ Isoko in the South South beacause I think after the Igbo's in Lagos the Urhobos should be the most populous non indegenous population in the South West especially Lagos
There is nothing AkwaCross.
Rather there is a combination of Ibibio/Annang/Oron/Efik - languages that are mutually intelligible.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by marsman: 8:37am On Jan 03
Brimstone77:

Aside Lagos akwa ibom is more economic viable than the entire remaining over hyped 5 south west states..

Remove Lagos from south west and the rest states are shit holes..
Dumb comment as usual from that part of the country.

Ogun has more industry than the entire south east and south south combined together.

Ibadan is one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Even Akure has more potential than ibom.

What exactly do you have in Akwa Ibom other than relying on huge federal allocation from the fed, building non productive projects and having no other thing to show for the allocation.
Re: 4 Largest Tribes In Nigeria 2024 by Great0ne1: 8:44am On Jan 03
marsman:

When and where did elebuibon said this nonsense. Any literate historians knows the word Yoruba existed before any Hausa/Fulani caliphate.. Yoruba or Yoruba has no meaning in the Hausa Fulani vocabulary... Even the sultan of Sokoto has denied hausa/Fulani being the originator of the said name. The word Yoruba was discovered in the papers of Ahmed Baba, a wandering Islamic scholar who lived in 15th - 16th century; much years before your fulani lords lived.
Ahmed Baba got the name from the people of the old Oyo empire during his contact with them

Major Tribes in Nigeria:
Yoruba
Hausa
Fulani
IJaw
Nupe
If this delusion makes a lunatic like u, calm and restful. Then so be it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective / PHCN Ordered To Restore Power In Sokoto / Patrick Obahiagbon's Reaction To The Ekiti Election Results?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.