Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (4135 Views)

Gov Alia Set To Deliver The Largest Fly-over Connecting North To South [photos] / Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group / Lagos: I have no ethnic group - Joe Igbokwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Dafresh: 12:11pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

yeah yeah....na you go declare who is ethnic group or not....

people need your permission....πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Don't mind him Delta is Ethnic group.
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by FreedomfromtheT: 12:12pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

no min am....their supleme reader suddenly had the idea in london to make a country in africa....
You didn't make any sense here. Do you think you did?
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03
FreedomfromtheT:
Good job.
You picked the majority tribes in each state of the Southsouth.
We are discussing the majority tribe in Nigeria and in the Southsouth as well.
Now add up the population of Igbos in each state of the Southsouth.
Which tribe is now the majority in the Southsouth?

duhh....go be majority in south east....

we are not interested who is majority in south south....
we wouldnt even be bothered sef if it was ijaws....

ijaws wouldnt even make soo much noise about it sef....

when did you see asari that is ijaw too boost about it....??

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by yinkeys(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03
Seun would soon ban a lot of you guys in 2024
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 12:18pm On Jan 03
Dafresh:

if each state in south south wan declare themselve to Ethnic group na him wan stop it....??
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by FreedomfromtheT: 12:20pm On Jan 03
Dafresh:

No sir.
Delta is a state made up of Urhobos, Isokos, Igbos, Ijaws and Itshekiris.
Niger Delta is a region made up of a lot of tribes such as the Ijaws, Ibibios, Igbos, Urhobos, Binis, Efiks, Ogonis, Ishans, Kalabaris, Annangs, Ikwerres, Orons, Itshekiris, Ogojas, etc.
Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by LifeofDream: 12:22pm On Jan 03
Nigercity:
Igbos are heavy majority in South East, majority in South South
There are also the second majority anywhere in Nigeria (outside SE/SS), just after the indigenous communities
Let's not forget that south east is the most dense populated region in the country! (With Anambra being the most dense populated state after Lagos)
I disagree, Igbo are majority only in the south East...
There are more Yoruba in the north than Igbo...

Even in South West excluding Lagos, Igbo are not second majority in any state...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by FreedomfromtheT: 12:27pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

I am not boasting here.
I am giving you reasons why the Igbos are actually the largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
So it is not just about the Southsouth.
But I don't expect you to give up your mischievous Igbophobia comments which people outside the Southeast and Southsouth are known for.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by FreedomfromtheT: 12:28pm On Jan 03
LifeofDream:

Even in South West excluding Lagos, Igbo are not second majority in any state...
Really?
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by FreedomfromtheT: 12:29pm On Jan 03
yinkeys:
Seun would soon ban a lot of you guys in 2024
Why will he do that?
Is there any harm in my postulation?
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03
FreedomfromtheT:
I am not boasting here.
I am giving you reasons why the Igbos are actually the largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
So it is not just about the Southsouth.
But I don't expect you to give up your mischievous Igbophobia comments which people outside the Southeast and Southsouth are known for.
Thank you.

dont dare add south south with south east.... angry angry

till now i was just playin nice with you....

or else you want me to start abusin anything ibo.... angry angry
dont provoke me....am not nice like other south southerners....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Misterone: 12:45pm On Jan 03
FreedomfromtheT:
Good job.
You picked the majority tribes in each state of the Southsouth.
We are discussing the majority tribe in Nigeria and in the Southsouth as well.
Now add up the population of Igbos in each state of the Southsouth.
Which tribe is now the majority in the Southsouth?

Your problem is that you see Nigeria as comprising of three tribes alone. Therefore you just segregate the country along that line. Igbos are only second populated in teo states of the SS ( Rivers and Delta). In Edo and Bayelsa, Urhobos are second after the Binis and Ijaw respectively, while you cannot tell in Akwa Ibom and cross rivers because these two states are a melting pot of all tribes in the SS.
It is not about the number of people that sell gala in the streets or the number of person that push wheelbarrow or hawk wares at every traffic light that you use in determining the population of a state. It is with those that have assets, steady jobs, right to land by means of indigeneity and other verifiable factors

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 12:59pm On Jan 03
Misterone:
Your problem is that you see Nigeria as comprising of three tribes alone. Therefore you just segregate the country along that line. Igbos are only second populated in teo states of the SS ( Rivers and Delta). In Edo and Bayelsa, Urhobos are second after the Binis and Ijaw respectively, while you cannot tell in Akwa Ibom and cross rivers because these two states are a melting pot of all tribes in the SS.
It is not about the number of people that sell gala in the streets or the number of person that push wheelbarrow or hawk wares at every traffic light that you use in determining the population of a state. It is with those that have assets, steady jobs, right to land by means of indigeneity and other verifiable factors

I don't think the 2nd in population he meant is indigenous population. In Rivers State for example the Igbos from Southeast and Delta is only 2nd to Ikwerre in population but if you add all the Igbo groups it could be 70% of the population

1 Like

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by OgaFactCheck: 1:03pm On Jan 03
FreedomfromtheT:
The Hausas are thought to be the largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
Considering the fact that all Hausa speaking northerners are wrongly classified as Hausas, this belief may be wrong.
Apart from Kanuris and Fulanis, there are lots of northern minority groups who are not Hausa but communicate in Hausa all the same.
The Igbos on the other hand, are not only the majority in the Southeast but also in the Southsouth.
The Igbos are also the second largest ethnic group in the Southwest and the North central regions.
Apart from that, the Igbos are also the second largest ethnic group in the Northeast and Northwest apart from the indigines.
The Yorubas however, are only majority in the Southwest.
Like MTN, it is Igbos everywhere you go.
If you think I am wrong, counter my assertion with facts and not Igbophobia propaganda.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.

You asked to be countered with facts but all that you have presented are assumptions. No evidence. Lead by example and produce empirical evidence or statistics from reputable institution(s).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by 007kjb: 1:09pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

You guys can't engage in meaningful conversation see as you are beating around the bush

The fact is IGBOS allowed propaganda to do them strong thing years ago..... take away hatred and tribalism if you study NIGERIA very well IGBOS are arguably the the largest ethnic group in NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nigercity: 1:50pm On Jan 03
LifeofDream:

Let's not be sentimental here!
After south east,
Igbos are still majority in South South (excluding ikwerre and ika because of the debate within themselves) Anioma alone covers the entire delta north!, In rivers upland rivers is dominated by indigenous igbos, i.e etche( in imo/rivers), ndoki (in Abia/rivers/akwaibom), ogbaru,omuma e.t.c
In Edo state there is igbanke, in cross River there's izza
Add All of them together Igbos dominates the south south
Now taking about south west, within you
You already know that outside the Yorubas, igbos are the largest ethnic groups in Ibadan, Lagos, ogun, including Akure unless you are living in denial, even in your own village, you would still see Igbos, (unless your place is unresourceful )

As for north, there is no need to even argue this, the are far more Igbos in north than Yoruba, unless your are talking about only kwara,
There's are few indeginous igbo villages in Benue and kogi
Then in upland north, for example in Kano Igbos occupy the entire sabo giri L.G.A and the other l.G.A close to it,
Fun facts is, you will hardly hear of religious crisis or clash, in Kano because that area Hausa/Fulani no dey enter am, is strictly Igbos (and nobody crosses each others boundaries)
Come to Kaduna, the entire Amah du Bello way, which is like the city centre is owned and run by the igbos, infact almost every where
Even in North from Nasssawra (keffi, iyanaya, marab, suleja e.t.c) Igbos run every provision store market

I wonder how you came up with the imagination that Yoruba are more than igbos In the North

Unless you haven't traveled as you claimed!

3 Likes

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by vanunu: 1:56pm On Jan 03
Ireportlive:

Most populated is between Yoruba, Ibo and Arewa

However Arewa is Hausa, Fulani, Tiv, Gwari, KANURI

Ibos are roughly 40 million spanning NC , SE , SS

Yoruba are over 50 million spanning Nigeria , Togo, Benin , Brazil and Jamaica
Igbos are also found in Equatorial Guinea and Haiti

1 Like

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Danzakidakura(m): 2:08pm On Jan 03
You are right after the indigenous people Igbos are alwythe second largest ethnic group in the whole of 36 states including fct.
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Dafresh: 2:08pm On Jan 03
FreedomfromtheT:
No sir.
Delta is a state made up of Urhobos, Isokos, Igbos, Ijaws and Itshekiris.
Niger Delta is a region made up of a lot of tribes such as the Ijaws, Ibibios, Igbos, Urhobos, Binis, Efiks, Ogonis, Ishans, Kalabaris, Annangs, Ikwerres, Orons, Itshekiris, Ogojas, etc.
Thank you.
I want hΓ­m to feel happy, sarcasm.
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by LifeofDream: 2:35pm On Jan 03
Nigercity:

Let's not be sentimental here!
After south east,
Igbos are still majority in South South (excluding ikwerre and ika because of the debate within themselves) Anioma alone covers the entire delta north!, In rivers upland rivers is dominated by indigenous igbos, i.e etche( in imo/rivers), ndoki (in Abia/rivers/akwaibom), ogbaru,omuma e.t.c
In Edo state there is igbanke, in cross River there's izza
Add All of them together Igbos dominates the south south
Now taking about south west, within you
You already know that outside the Yorubas, igbos are the largest ethnic groups in Ibadan, Lagos, ogun, including Akure unless you are living in denial, even in your own village, you would still see Igbos, (unless your place is unresourceful )

As for north, there is no need to even argue this, the are far more Igbos in north than Yoruba, unless your are talking about only kwara,
There's are few indeginous igbo villages in Benue and kogi
Then in upland north, for example in Kano Igbos occupy the entire sabo giri L.G.A and the other l.G.A close to it,
Fun facts is, you will hardly hear of religious crisis or clash, in Kano because that area Hausa/Fulani no dey enter am, is strictly Igbos (and nobody crosses each others boundaries)
Come to Kaduna, the entire Amah du Bello way, which is like the city centre is owned and run by the igbos, infact almost every where
Even in North from Nasssawra (keffi, iyanaya, marab, suleja e.t.c) Igbos run every provision store market

I wonder how you came up with the imagination that Yoruba are more than igbos In the North

Unless you haven't traveled as you claimed!
I'm not sentimental here, just giving facts...

Let's face the North first, even exclude the three state that Yoruba are indigenous to in the North Central, there are more Yoruba in the rest of northern state than Igbo... You guys can't differentiate the Yoruba from Hausa because of the religion affiliation, some of the people you call Hausa are actually Yoruba. Go to Bornu, Kano, Kaduna, we've millions of Yoruba in these states...

The Igbo indigenous to North Central are inconsequential, at best 100k...

I hear you saying excluding Lagos, Igbo in South East are more than Yoruba in the rest 5 South West states? Like how?..
The Yoruba in Oyo state only swallow Enugu and Ebonyi states put together... Ogun state Yoruba cancel Anambra and remain change.. 😎 Add the change that remain to Ondo state to cancel Imo... Osun state is more populous than abia state...

I haven't even mention Lagos πŸ˜‚, the Yoruba in Lagos swallow the Igbo in Lagos, Anioma and any Igbo group you have in Delta...

I haven't even talked about the surplus that remain from cancelling the five south east state, Kwara and kogi Yoruba in the north. There are also Yoruba in Niger, Edo and Delta...

With all sincerity, Igbo can only dream of being more than Yoruba in Nigeria...

Infact Yoruba are the most populous single ethnic in North Central region..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by YoungBlackRico(m): 2:37pm On Jan 03
Yes, igbos are the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. Can we rest now? grin. I absolutely do not see any reason why this thread should be 3 pages long

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by ForumNL(m): 2:38pm On Jan 03
Nigercity:

Before APC happened the competition between igbos and Yoruba has always been a healthy one,
The both have different view of things, in every Lagos state election the APC tags the opposition parties as Igbo, right from the days of PDP telling them to go home! (Thinking all Igbos are in South West grin grin
Forgeting the fact that south east is the most dense populated region in the country, Moreover south east population is bigger than that of South West (if you exclude Lagos) you can Google it and check yourself!
Some Yoruba don't even know that, if you check the list of 22 top richest men in Nigeria, 11 of them are igbos! And majority of them aren't based in South West (carefully do your research)
It's just the politicians pushing the narratives of hate against both ethnic groups!

I know deep down, you know you are just being sarcastic

The number of Igbos among Top 30 men in Nigeria cannot be up to 5

And I'm sure the 3 of the 5 are Delta not Igbo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by BossGerald: 2:46pm On Jan 03
Misterone:
The Urhobo's are majority in Delta, the Binis are majority in Edo. Akwa ibom, Cross Rivers are Ibibio. Bayelsa is Ijaw. Stop this your stupid sentiments. Igbos are not majority in the South South.

Urhobo majority in which delta?? Self deception is a killer disease
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by BossGerald: 2:50pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

yeah yeah....na you go declare who is ethnic group or not....

people need your permission....πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Cry cry cry
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Creativity22: 2:52pm On Jan 03
tsdarkside:

bwahahahaha....carry your south eastern states and go already....
i dont care what you have to say....

am urhobo....i dont care about your blablas....am not becomin biafran....forget it....
Shatap ! You dirty, self denying ronu bastard
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by SuperOnyi: 2:54pm On Jan 03
Nigercity:

There are indigenous igbos, in Equatorial Guinea, the fled Nigeria during the Aro-Ango war
(The British war against arochukwu)
More than 100 years ago
During Nigeria civil war, other igbos migrated and joined them!
Search tiktok you will see A lot of them!
I could remember spending an entire day on tiktok watching there videos, grin grin

shocked

Amazing!

I know about them but never knew Igbos migrated there during the aroβ€”anglo war... I've never seen anyone from there.
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nigercity: 3:01pm On Jan 03
ForumNL:

I know deep down, you know you are just being sarcastic

The number of Igbos among Top 30 men in Nigeria cannot be up to 5

And I'm sure the 3 of the 5 are Delta not Igbo
https://infoguidenigeria.com/richest-men-in-nigeria

https://www.legit.ng/ask-legit/top/1191663-top-richest-people-nigeria

https://www.atlanticride.com/richest-men-in-nigeria

A simple goggle search would have cured your ignorance, the second website is owned by your Yoruba brother, Anyways
Am done replying you
The moment you said delta, I understand you're only seeking for rant, bant,augrement and clunt engagement, because we where talking about ethnic group not state
Anyway
You have been noticed
Go and play with kids your age
Am done replying you
Don't quote me!

1 Like

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nigercity: 3:22pm On Jan 03
LifeofDream:

I'm not sentimental here, just giving facts...

Let's face the North first, even exclude the three state that Yoruba are indigenous to in the North Central, there are more Yoruba in the rest of northern state than Igbo... You guys can't differentiate the Yoruba from Hausa because of the religion affiliation, some of the people you call Hausa are actually Yoruba. Go to Bornu, Kano, Kaduna, we've millions of Yoruba in these states...

The Igbo indigenous to North Central are inconsequential, at best 100k...

I hear you saying excluding Lagos, Igbo in South East are more than Yoruba in the rest 5 South West states? Like how?..
The Yoruba in Oyo state only swallow Enugu and Ebonyi states put together... Ogun state Yoruba cancel Anambra and remain change.. 😎 Add the change that remain to Ondo state to cancel Imo... Osun state is more populous than abia state...

I haven't even mention Lagos πŸ˜‚, the Yoruba in Lagos swallow the Igbo in Lagos, Anioma and any Igbo group you have in Delta...

I haven't even talked about the surplus that remain from cancelling the five south east state, Kwara and kogi Yoruba in the north. There are also Yoruba in Niger, Edo and Delta...

With all sincerity, Igbo can only dream of being more than Yoruba in Nigeria...

Infact Yoruba are the most populous single ethnic in North Central region..

Lolz
Your are seriously day dreaming
You saying igbos in north central are inconsequential not up to 100k is laughable
You have YouTube, search for them, learn a thing or two, the are minority not inconsequential
Also

Ask any aboki you see close to you, he would look into your eyes and tell you the truth that Igbos are far larger than Yorubas in the north, infact is some places like gombe or jigawa, Yorubas are almost unheard of!
You claiming yourbas are more bigger than igbos in Kano,is very funny and laughable πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ even a blind man knows this, as for Kaduna the only place you will see Yorubas is in far away Abu in Zaria, even there Igbos still dominate them, almost all provision stores, hotels,bars, super market, private schools, are being owned by igbos
Just call any aboki and ask him about this,
Excluding the ikwerres, the igbos in rivers (oyibo, ASA, etche,ndoki e.t.c) are still more populated than all Yorubas in NC (except Ilorin axis)

Now for south east Vs south west
As of 2006the last census held in Nigeria (others are mere estimate,assumptions and allocation of figures) south west was more popular than south east (I don't know for now), if you check goggle map, you will notice that the rate of Urbanisation In south east has more than tripled, with onistha almost joining Owerri, and nsukka forming a large metropolis on the other side, with continuous building of story buildings
You have a phone, open Google map and check expansions of cities in South West and south east

Check the last two elections (2019/2023) despite the voters apartheid in South East
South East recorded more voters, and voters card registration above south west excluding Lagos

Below are screenshots of current population of South West and south east generated by goggle algorithm
Remove Lagos which is about 20 million plus
You will realize that the south west is almost empty
Relax everything no be hype

1 Like

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 3:23pm On Jan 03
007kjb:

You guys can't engage in meaningful conversation see as you are beating around the bush

The fact is IGBOS allowed propaganda to do them strong thing years ago..... take away hatred and tribalism if you study NIGERIA very well IGBOS are arguably the the largest ethnic group in NIGERIA

and you think none igbos care....

oya na vote obi to president yourselves alone....

yeye loudmouthed people south east....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 3:27pm On Jan 03
Worldkokoroko:
[b][/b]why excluding lagos from South West?

the meassge no have reach you....??

lagos is part of south east....
Re: I Think The Igbos Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by ForumNL(m): 3:27pm On Jan 03
Nigercity:

https://www.legit.ng/ask-legit/top/1191663-top-richest-people-nigeria

https://www.atlanticride.com/richest-men-in-nigeria

A simple goggle search would have cured your ignorance, the second website is owned by Yoruba brother, Anyways
Am done replying you
The moment you said delta, I understand you're onlying seeking for rant, bant,augrement and clunt engagement, because we where talking about ethnic group not state
Anyway
You have been noticed
Go and play with kids your age
Am done replying you
Don't quote me!

Chest beaters at it again
No track record

All they know is claiming what they are not

1. There is no Igbo billionaire in dollars
There are just 5 billionaires in Nigeria
Dangote, Rabiu, Adenuga, Otedola and Alakija

2. The next set of people are billionaire in naira
And at that tell me any Igbo man that is as rich as Adeleke

Adeleke sef is too much

Tell me just one that is as rich as Adewale Tinubu, Bola Shagaya, Kensington Adebutu, Michael Olasubomi etc

Just dey play

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari: No Nuclear Power Plant In Kogi And Akwa Ibom / Buhari Sends Military To Dissolve Mend Meeting / sahara reporters release More Evidence On Buratais' Dubai Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.