Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:26 AM

Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara (243 Views)

Court voids N800b Budget Signed By Fubara, orders release of funds for Assembly / Fubara Has Erased Rivers History With Assembly Demolition, Says Rivers Lawmaker / Linda Somiari Stewart: Rivers Lawmaker Makes U-Turn, Returns To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by DyshApp: 8:45am On Jan 03
Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, yesterday said Edison Ehie resigned from the House of Assembly for the sake of peace.
Ehie was the leader of four members of the House that identified with Fubara during the crisis.

The NationOnline notes that He quit his position as a member representing Ahoada-East Constituency II, notifying the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in a December 29 letter.

Addressing dignitaries including former Governor Peter Odili and his wife, Mary, at the first state banquet he hosted at the Government House in Port Harcourt on Monday night, Fubara said Ehie’s resignation indicated the extent he could go to achieve peace in Rivers.

Referring to Ehie as the immediate past Speaker, Fubara said: “Most of you were worried why the Speaker resigned. It is to tell you what we can do for peace.

“It is not about what we want to gain. It is not about the power we want to exercise. But at the end of the day, ask what are we leaving for our people.

“So, we took those decisions, not out of fear, but because at the end of the day when we leave here, we want you to remember us not as leaders with fear but remember us for our simplicity, our care, that we are prepared to give in anything for the interest of our dear state.”

The governor said he never wanted to speak on the matter but decided otherwise because of what he read somewhere.

He insisted that all the decisions he took were not borne out of fear, but were compelled by the state’s interest and respect for elders.

The governor, whose speech intermittently drew applause from the crowd, said though everyone would not like the content of the peace agreement, it was in his place as a leader to enforce it.

Fubara insisted that he would not like to be involved in any dirty political fight because of its negative implications for peace and development.

Fubara said: “I had planned not to say anything this night. I have said too much already. But I read something and it will be improper if I don’t, at least, respond to it on a special day like this.

“First, let me wish every one of you or all of us that are here a very fruitful and prosperous new year.

“This is because every decision that we have taken is not borne out of fear but because we have the interest of our people in mind and we have respect for elders.

“The president requested that we do certain things. In as much as it might not be very comfortable with everyone here, it is the place of the leader to say let us go along with it. Because if we don’t have peace in the state, there won’t be that meaningful development that we desire.

“So, I’m speaking to everyone, let us embrace the peace. We need this peace because our intention for our state is not because of our interest, it is for the interest of everyone; the interest for the development of our state.

“So, when we were faced with this type of situation, we considered the actions and reactions, who is going to suffer, Fubara will not suffer, I can assure you that. But one million supporters will suffer.

“So, those decisions are decisions we took because we want you to feel you’re with me. We want you to see me as your governor and be happy.”

On why the state hosted the banquet, the governor said: “So, our new year message to our dear State, and more especially this our first inaugural banquet is to show that the government is alive.

“I want to leave you with only this message. We will not disappoint you. We, also, will not be involved in any dirty fighting because we know that we are going to be the losers.

“The year 2024 is for all of us. If I could survive, you that don’t have any problems, you’ll survive better than me.

“So, I am wishing every one of us here a fruitful and prosperous 2024 to the glory of God.”

Follow up with more Naija News on Dyshus Webpage

Re: Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by 1TrippleCee: 8:47am On Jan 03
Focus on governance. Enough with politics
Re: Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by Zinac: 8:50am On Jan 03
Our legal system need to get it right if the country must progress

1 Like

Re: Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by Precious452(f): 9:02am On Jan 03
I like that you chose peace over violence for the first half of this River State political champions league probably because the organizers made a biased intervention as you were about to score a beautiful goal against Abuja FC.
I also like that you're fixing your own boys in your team to prepare for the second half of the match.
I wish you Good luck Govt house Fc even though we know you're not fighting for the people but for your own personal interest and that of a few that called themselves River State elders
Re: Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by DyshApp: 1:36pm On Jan 04
Precious452:
I like that you chose peace over violence for the first half of this River State political champions league probably because the organizers made a biased intervention as you were about to score a beautiful goal against Abuja FC.
I also like that you're fixing your own boys in your team to prepare for the second half of the match.
I wish you Good luck Govt house Fc even though we know you're not fighting for the people but for your own personal interest and that of a few that called themselves River State elders

lol they are really fighting for themselves which of these politicians are actually fighting for Nigerian's right
Re: Why Rivers Lawmaker Edison Ehie Resigned, By Fubara by fergie001: 1:40pm On Jan 04

(1)

Breaking : Dr Asue Ighodalo Emerges As Edo Central PDP Consensus Aspirant / Shell Exits Oil Exploration, Announces Sale Of Subsidiary To Firm At $1.3billion / Nnewi APGA Faithful And Voters Confined Ifeanyi Ubah Where He Rightly Belongs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.