Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' (6448 Views)

Pictures Of Overweight Policemen From Different Parts Of The World / No Matter What, Obasanjo Remains Our Father In PDP — Governor Lamido / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by yamakuza: 2:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
Ymodulus:

and poster ther is actually nothing wrong with this statement. When she said nigeria remains a continent she is talking from a figurative perspective and not conotative or literal piont of view. First notice her use of climax from STATE =) CONTINENT. this is to show with much emphasis what shez trying to say. Take an example George Bush once made a speech after a racism case saying though you black, white, yellow or whatsoever color america as long as you stay in washington you live we all live in a continent. Would you say he was wrong? No i guess because you blive hez white and should know more. But the truth is he his not neither is patience jonathan. So poster free this lady jor. Now i see i shouldnt be angry when my statesman(Beaf) put you guys in your proper places.

America is a continent.

Australia is a continent.

Nigeria isnt.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by moshoodn(m): 2:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
Good Grammar. . .
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by bigaboi: 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2011
okunboy:

This woman is talking from a prophetic angle. I tell you, she's seeing what some of you guys do not see. In some years to come, I see Nigeria breaking up into nations; I see Ijaw nation, Oodua Nation, Arewa Nation, Biafra Nation and several other nations springing up from Nigeria. I see a great earth tremor (such that has never been seen b4!) breaking into peices the african continent and Nigeria standing alone as a continent. In the light of this prophecy, Nigeria is a CONTINENT. So leave this woman alone.

Neither is capable of speaking good English.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Tunjman(m): 2:37pm On Nov 04, 2011
hahahahahaha
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by martyns303(m): 2:51pm On Nov 04, 2011
Mariwua(water seller) came 2 supply water, we bought d whole truck so he wanted to tell m neighbor dat he'll have to go n get more, so he said "I go, I come" and every one started laughing especially the way he said. I then asked my neighbors to point out exactly what's wrong with his english, and none could. Nairalnders! What's wrong with Mrs. Jonathan's english?
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by samdigo(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2011
She needs to shut her mouth. It's embarrassing to the administration when the wife dose not speak good English. It also dose not speak well for the nation, She needs to play the role of the supporting wife in the background
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 04, 2011
martyns303:

Mariwua(water seller) came 2 supply water, we bought d whole truck so he wanted to tell m neighbor dat he'll have to go n get more, so he said "I go, I come" and every one started laughing especially the way he said. I then asked my neighbors to point out exactly what's wrong with his english, and none could. Nairalnders! What's wrong with Mrs. Jonathan's english?
NIGERIA IS NOT A MUFUCKING CONTINENT! WTF? IS THIS A QUESTION?
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by martyns303(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2011
Donlittle:

NIGERIA IS NOT A MUFUCKING CONTINENT! WTF? IS THIS A QUESTION?
Stop telling me what I already know, Nigeria is a country, Yes! Now tell me what I do not know, what is wrong with Mrs. Jonathan's english? Check urself bro.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2011
yamakuza:

America is a continent.

Australia is a continent.

Nigeria isnt.
America as he referred to is not a continent, north America is the continent having USA, Canada and some others like Jamaica, I believe form the continent.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by KnowAll(m): 4:16pm On Nov 04, 2011
I beg make una leave the woman now, which one you guys dey sef? There are too many wahala going around the nation, why would one make the first lady's grammatical errors something worthy of mentioning. I never saw an American have a go at George Bush despite his many howlers in the English Language. I beg leave the woman jooor!!!!!!!!!! undecided
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by juman(m): 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2011
she doesn't concentrate when speaking.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by noiseless: 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2011
Why must we be rewarding the damn crazy slavery and colonial gangsters with making their language as our only means of communication officially in this continent?They come to our land they dont even bother learning ours as they ve force us making everything easy for them,things should be balanced.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
KnowAll:
I beg make una leave the woman now, which one you guys dey sef? There are too many wahala going around the nation,  why would one make the first lady's grammatical errors something worthy of mentioning. I never saw an American have a go at George Bush despite his many howlers in the English Language. I beg leave the woman jooor!!!!!!!!!! undecided

You don't know what you're talking. Type in "Bushisms" anywhere and you'll get a long list of Bush's gbagauns and such. They made t-shirts, cartoons, and montage videos of him on youtube. "Bushism" is even a valid word on dictionary.com. The reactions from Patience Jonathan's blunders are minuscule compared to the flack Former President Bush got. Trust me.

martyns303:
Stop telling me what I already know, Nigeria is a country, Yes! Now tell me what I do not know, what is wrong with Mrs. Jonathan's english? Check urself bro.

So the fact that she called Nigeria a continent doesn't irk you? I guess the press owe Janet Jackson, Sarah Palin, and a long list of others apologies for referring to Africa as a marvelous "country", since all that preceded the word was grammatically correct.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Chyz2: 5:14pm On Nov 04, 2011
Oh illiterate me. I never new nigeria was a continent. sad
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 04, 2011
This woman needs to shut up, please.

I have lil children and nephews/nieces watching the news.  What are my children learning from her?

Imagine Americans who thinks Africa is a country, wetin dem go say when dem hear this?
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by martyns303(m): 6:02pm On Nov 04, 2011
ogugua88:

You don't know what you're talking. Type in "Bushisms" anywhere and you'll get a long list of Bush's gbagauns and such. They made t-shirts, cartoons, and montage videos of him on youtube. "Bushism" is even a valid word on dictionary.com. The reactions from Patience Jonathan's blunders are minuscule compared to the flack Former President Bush got. Trust me.

So the fact that she called Nigeria a continent doesn't irk you? I guess the press owe Janet Jackson, Sarah Palin, and a long list of others apologies for referring to Africa as a marvelous "country", since all that preceded the word was grammatically correct.
Good! now you have managed to notify me that from your understanding of the contest, she used the wrong phrase, attributing Nigeria a Continent. Now tell me what is wrong with her statement. Do me a favor and get busy with something else.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by emmatok(m): 7:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
Yes AFRICA is a country while Nigerian is a Continent.

Na she is talking from a prophetic, figurative and idiomatic angle. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

These YEYE GEJ fans no go kill person for here o.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nickydrake(m): 8:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
I agree that her grammatical blunders are embarrassing at least, but i prefer to appreciate the humour in their structure and composition, you know, like witty one-liners cheesy. Rather remniscient of some popular american figures like Yogi Berra(if you don't know where you're going, you might end up someplace else), Dan Quayle(if we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure. The future will be better tomorrow grin), and even Bush(They misunderestimated me).

This approach doesn't make her English acceptable or anything, it just makes it bearable. And all those trying to rationally explain this last slip are only making me laugh the more.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Macavelius(m): 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2011
this is a serious matter now with all these unique statements from the first lady
can't her handlers do better job on her
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by VoodooDoll(m): 12:16am On Nov 05, 2011
kokoA:

GBGAM! Kai! grin grin grin At last . . Its been a while o. Next time, madam don't keep us waiting for too long ok? grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Johndoe100(m): 4:00am On Nov 05, 2011
You see the truth is all of you disrespecting the woman are secretly hoping that she will "notice" you. We know the truth, if she drops something on the floor will you not kill yourselves to be the one that picks it up and hands it to her? Hypocrites.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 4:02am On Nov 05, 2011
Johndoe100:

You see the truth is all of you disrespecting the woman are secretly hoping that she will "notice" you. We know the truth, if she drops something on the floor will you not kill yourselves to be the one that picks it up and hands it to her? Hypocrites.

And why shouldnt they?

1. Last time I checked, some nigerian men are gentlemen.

2. Looking at her attire and her fatty adipose, if she bends small, she go rip the fabric. Let's prevent that for the betterment of Nigeria.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Irunmole(m): 4:14am On Nov 05, 2011
Does our so called Mr. President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan actually hear her wife make these regular gaffs without as much as placing her under permanent (home/domestic) house arrest?

Enough of these headache inducing loose cannons, abeg, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, First Lady. E don do. Kilo de?

Na by force to attend public functions, abi na by force to speak Queen's oyinbo sef? just yarn in pidgin English and all will be forgiven Mrs. First Lady. No wahala, opari, shikena.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by ArQuAbOy(m): 7:05am On Nov 05, 2011
Lmao, Thread funny ooo
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by ebere1712: 8:05am On Nov 05, 2011
LOL Americans think Africa is a country. Our beloved Patience thinks Nigeria, which is part in Africa, is a continent. Wetin me go come believe. Well maybe Lagos na universe.

hajifaty:

English is not our language. It is the language of your colonial masters and a borrowed langauge. I love asian pple, especially the chinese and the japanese they don't give shi t about english. If you want to deal with me then you should learn my language and culture. There are millions of westerners in China learning chinese because they want to benefit from the economy miracle of China. Leave the woman alone,

This has nothing to do with her grammar. It has everything to do with her lack of intelligence. Maybe it is just one of those crazy mistakes, or she had a bit too much of burukutu. Nobody would complain if she spoke in her language and had it translated for her. However, she would only end up saying that Nigeria is a continent in her language; which is equally as funny.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by zoomzoom1(m): 1:45pm On Nov 05, 2011
hajifaty:

English is not our language. It is the language of your colonial masters and a borrowed langauge. I love asian pple, especially the chinese and the japanese they don't give shi t about english. If you want to deal with me then you should learn my language and culture. There are millions of westerners in China learning chinese because they want to benefit from the economy miracle of China. Leave the woman alone,

A country within 250 ethnic and linguistic groups dfntly requires a common language for communication. I think English was adopted for these reasons so we should give S**t about english grin Chinese and Japanese are the main languages for China & Japan respectively therefore we except westerners / foreigners to learn the same if they mean business.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2011
But wait oh, is Nigeria a continent? i cant believe some nairalanders are even dull than illiterates
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Nobody: 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2011
Civility demands that we continue in our path of education till our disposition changes. I pray all these petitions to prune her English so we can all be free of her linguistic imbalance. She represent us and woe betide us if she represents us one day and shoots the world on our behalf. I enjoy the good laughs I get from her lovely speeches (my eyes rolling). I would miss the humour if she changes,, till then let the gunshots flow gbosa gbosa!!
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by mellow(m): 11:05am On Nov 06, 2011
Irunmole:

Does our so called Mr. President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan actually hear her wife make these regular gaffs without as much as placing her under permanent (home/domestic) house arrest?

Enough of these headache inducing loose cannons, abeg, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, First Lady. E don do. Kilo de?

Na by force to attend public functions, abi na by force to speak Queen's oyinbo sef? just yarn in pidgin English and all will be forgiven Mrs. First Lady. No wahala, opari, shikena.

This is wwritten by one of NL's grammer proffs. Free the First Lady after all you are not castigating her for not knowing how to speak her Native Language. What she made was a mistake, an error and anybody can make a mistake including you reading this and nonody will kill you for it.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by isleman(m): 9:13am On Nov 07, 2011
I am getting used to it. I will strongly advise she speaks her native language, she will be more respected that way.

what an irony, husband a phd (Dr.) and wife, a blunder. GEJ should tutor her himself or she should just be like Turai Yaradua and keep mute.
Re: 'Though We Are From Different States, Nigeria Still Remains Our Continent' by Amujale(m): 9:31am On Nov 07, 2011
Poster makes a genuine point; lets forget about continent or country palaver and recognise the point the poster makes wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abayomi Adeshida: NUJ FCT Outraged, Demand Sanctions / FG Earmarks $7 Billion For Poverty Reduction / Jokolo: Obj Knew About Dimka Coup, But Cowardly Ran Into The Bush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.