Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,404 members, 7,861,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:53 AM

Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate (7238 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola / President Jonathan Re-introduce Car & House Loans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by AZeD1(m): 11:18am On Nov 04, 2011
Money for awon boys,
I thought GEJ said part of the proceeds from the removal of subsidy wont be spent on roads

Well since they(GEJ and co) increased the minimum wage money for stealing development has reduced
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by EPOMA(m): 11:22am On Nov 04, 2011
zignor:

OBJ spent billions of Naira to demolish the toll gate even when he was adviced to leave the tolls like that
Now, GEJ want to rebuild it with billions of naira angry sad
infact, Nigeria ruler are Idiots angry sad

100% no vision. fresh air. suffering and smiling
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Pukkah: 11:26am On Nov 04, 2011
I agree with the introduction of toll gates but there must be conditions:

1.  The road to be tolled must be smooth and not have potholes.  It should also be wide enough for the envisaged traffic on it.
2.  The road to be tolled must have emergency accident points.
3.  The road to be tolled must have police patrol teams and FRSC men.
4.  The road to be tolled must have functional street lights.
5.  The road to be tolled must have roads markings and road signs.
6.  The road to be tolled must not have trailers and trucks parked indiscriminately on them.
7. The bushes in the median of the road to be tolled must be well-cut and maintained.

These are the minimum standards that I expect before government goes ahead to toll any road. In fact, government should first rehabilitate these roads (put them in the conditions described above) and hand over collection of tolls and first class road maintenance to private companies.  If not, the proceeds from the toll would likely be embezzled and the people will bear the brunt.

Government should also implement emission rules for our vehicles in Nigeria. There are many instances of old, smoky and clanging vehicles emitting dangerous and thick clouds of smoke on our roads.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Pukkah: 11:31am On Nov 04, 2011
logica:

Toll-gates should only be built to charge trailers and lorries for now; as far as I'm concerned they are the ones causing major damage to highways. This will force haulage companies to actually start considering rail as a better option. Tolling cars should come much later; not now.

I guess people haul their goods using the roads because the rails are largely not functional and not because they refuse to use the rails. If this is the case, why toll only lorries and trailers? I agree however that toll fees should vary in line with the size/weight of the vehicle though.

The sharp increase in the number of heavy-duty trucks and tankers on our roads has been caused by the dilapidated rail system and run-down refineries which has made us become a fuel importer. Imported fuel comes through the ports and has to be re-distributed to different parts of the country instead of using pipelines from the refineries.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by mobf: 11:32am On Nov 04, 2011
Pukkah:

1.  The road to be tolled must be smooth and not have potholes.  It should also be wide enough for the envisaged traffic on it.
6.  The road to be tolled must not have trailers and trucks parked indiscriminately on them.
7. The bushes in the median of the road to be tolled must be well-cut and maintained.
  You Honestly think THIS president will do this?

These are the minimum standards that I expect before government goes ahead to toll any road. In fact, government should first rehabilitate these roads (put them in the conditions described above) and hand over collection of tolls and first class road maintenance to private companies.  If not, the proceeds from the toll would likely be embezzled and the people will bear the brunt.

Government should also implement emission rules for our vehicles in Nigeria. There are many instances of old, smoky and clanging vehicles emitting dangerous and thick clouds of smoke on our roads.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by stagger: 11:40am On Nov 04, 2011
Even though I am vehemently opposed to anything called subsidy removal, we need the toll gates back.

My only problem is whether it will happen the old ways when for example, a car that should pay N20, will run through the N50 toll gate and drop the money with speed and take off with the collusion of the toll collectors. I saw this in operation in 1997 and I was truly shocked by it.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Pukkah: 11:43am On Nov 04, 2011
stagger:

Even though I am vehemently opposed to anything called subsidy removal, we need the toll gates back.

My only problem is whether it will happen the old ways when for example, a car that should pay N20, will run through the N50 toll gate and drop the money with speed and take off with the collusion of the toll collectors. I saw this in operation in 1997 and I was truly shocked by it.

You've just raised another issue. Another condition is that the collection system should not be manual. It should be automated and computerized.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by olawalebabs(m): 11:43am On Nov 04, 2011
stagger:

Truly, and the corruption tendency therein. but as for me, i totally go against it.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by AZeD1(m): 11:55am On Nov 04, 2011
Pukkah:

Guy it wont have be easier , faster and straight to the point to just write i dont want toll gates back grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by AZeD1(m): 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2011
^^
would
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by smoothlips(m): 12:14pm On Nov 04, 2011
Maybe by the time JONATHAN is through there will be no nation called Nigeria, He has shown no will to fight corruption,no will to fight insecurity,no will to develop no term infrastructure, all his policies are in abstract, with 6 out every 10 young people between the age of 27-32 looking for a job or grossly under employed, am not sure we will still have dis nation by the time he is through.

My advice start saving money now cause 2012 may be one hell of a year
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 04, 2011
Yet these Vagabonds In Power sent 170 politicians to chogm !
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Pukkah: 12:23pm On Nov 04, 2011
A-ZeD:

Guy it wont have be easier , faster and straight to the point to just write i dont want toll gates back  grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I want the toll gates but those are the conditions.  grin grin grin In fact, I'll help them spread the message and try to convince people if they meet the conditions.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by 1forall: 12:53pm On Nov 04, 2011
Leadership without direction
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Pukkah: 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Yet these Vagabonds In Power sent 170 politicians to chogm chop !

Those over a hundred politicians were not even enough to do the chopping work at chogm. Every one of them had his hands full of work money. They couldn't finish the work money sef.  Next time, they need to go with more people in order to be able to finish the plenty work money they go with.

@Bluetooth, stop laughing at them.  angry angry It's not so easy to finish plenty work money. grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by maxygirl(f): 1:23pm On Nov 04, 2011
I wish Our leaders should just stick to a clear road-map. Cant they just make up their minds on a clear policy?. I am getting sick of Nigeria story.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by manny4life(m): 1:35pm On Nov 04, 2011
Very unfortunate thing happens to fortunate people in a fortunate country,

What we need is "OCCUPY DC/NEW YORK/LA ---- ABUJA, NIGERIA  grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by AZeD1(m): 1:40pm On Nov 04, 2011
maxygirl:

I wish Our leaders should just stick to a clear road-map. Cant they just make up their minds on a clear policy?. I am getting sick of Nigeria story.
There is a clear policy and a clear road map.
Havent you heard of loot or die trying,
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by jaso1(m): 1:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
You ain't seen anything, we are on season one and were going to season 100.You should be preparing for more killing policy than the noice ranging here because we all bargain for it, next time your vote wont be base sentiment. Happy dead nation with dead citizenry!
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by KnowAll(m): 1:53pm On Nov 04, 2011
[size=18pt]Tolling is ok, but public carriages that is Taxis and other commercial vechiles should pay reduced or 1/2 of any tolling fee. [/size]
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by babsmii(m): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2011
9icest take it easy biko, why have you decided to rage at beaf over his simple opinion, if you're not fine with his, say yours and move on. you dont have to use insulting words and go as far as cursing the young man. haba
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by coolrose(m): 2:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
Are they going to revert the fuel Tax introduced by OBJ on Nigerians for demolishing all Toll gates then? This is equally now an opprtunity for Fashola to open the Lekki Toll gate for business.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
You ain't seen nothing yet!
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by ajadek(m): 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2011
3Toll gate will be bulid along lagos/ibadan express only and control by private body babalakin/bi-courney for 25yrs based on the concession agreement with fg,
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by munaco: 5:37pm On Nov 04, 2011
i just hope one day the unemployed youth will know what we (all) are doing to ourself. libya did it, Algeria did it, ivory coast did it. why is Nigeria exceptional.we do not need above 6oyears old or a former minister in power any more. have a youth association since the labour union is dancing to there music. we are a total disgrace as a country.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by oderemo(m): 7:18pm On Nov 04, 2011
I tot bi_ whatever courtney is suppd to buid that lagos to ibadan xpress. I said it be4 that babalakin will build nothing, tthat guy is taking us all 4 a cool ride, 4 yrs down the line not a single work carrd out on that road, not even setting out.
Anyway this is same clueless govt that want to remove fuel sub. As it is haulagers and cars are using alternative route to the xpress causing unmentionable pains and accident to villagers in the interland. I.e using the old lagos ibadan road frm shagamu ,iperu, ogere, ode as by pass.
Cant imagine the death that this toll will now bring to these villagers.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by SamMilla1(m): 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2011
problem is not d toll gate, it is d mgt of the toll gate. there are toll gates on every highway going into paris.
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 04, 2011
Femi kuti warned us. 'yestrday dem tell us say today na we go dey so we struggle suffer dey for this new democratic change but the truth of the matter be say dem disguise another way to continue their crooked ways'
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by ArQuAbOy(m): 10:07pm On Nov 04, 2011
munaco:

i just hope one day the unemployed youth will know what we (all) are doing to ourself. libya did it, Algeria did it, ivory coast did it. why is Nigeria exceptional.we do not need above 6oyears old or a former minister in power any more. have a youth association since the labour union is dancing to there music. we are a total disgrace as a country.
is it the youth association that wont dance to their music?
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by 1forall: 11:19pm On Nov 04, 2011
lakhadimar:

Femi kuti warned us. 'yestrday dem tell us say today na we go dey gain so we struggle suffer dey for this new democratic change but the truth of the matter be say dem disguise another way to continue their crooked ways'
Re: Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate by trueword: 11:43pm On Nov 04, 2011
so this toll will be an addition to the toll already being collected by the nigerian police on the roads. na wa oh. Nigeria has plenty of money to tackle many of its problems, only if it will manage it resources well and stop making budgets where 75% of it goes towards paying salaries.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Receives U.S Diplomats, Urges Deeper Global Cooperation / Congratulations To A Worthy Achiever On His Call To Bar / DHQ Approves Fund For Upgrade Of Mechanic School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.