Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter (12122 Views)

What You Should Reject In Any Employment Contract / Contract Vs Permanent Work- Which Is Best For You? / Restrictive Covenants In Employment Contract: The Practice And Benefits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by Emeka71(m): 11:38am On Jan 09
stevolinkon40:

Offer letter requires you to respond, accepting the offer. Then you get an employment contract stating your hours of work, pay rate and probation period and others. In most case, you will have all the information already on the offer letter but you need an employment letter or reference letter from work for visa purposes.
Employment contract.
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:40am On Jan 09
Juraj:
My friend is attempting to get tourist Visa to a Schengen country, one of the requirements is proof of employment.
He have tried with Offer Letter but it got rejected, when asked at workplace nobody seems to have Employment Contract either.
When asked directly his boss, he is being told that there is only offer letter.

Are they trying to gaslight him or is it common practice to only get an offer letter ?

Work is long term, full time, already there for 2 years +
Thanks

Simply provide a letter of introduction from your company.

It will include the confirmation of the fact that you're an employee.

That should solve it.

Include the signed offer letter as well. Or the offer letter of you don't have a signed copy
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by skytreader(m): 12:02pm On Jan 09
stevolinkon40:

Offer letter requires you to respond, accepting the offer. Then you get an employment contract stating your hours of work, pay rate and probation period and others. In most case, you will have all the information already on the offer letter but you need an employment letter or reference letter from work for visa purposes.

I should add that an offer letter can also double as the contract of employment. It can be a two-in-one document offering you the job, whilst stating the terms. Once you sign (ensure to retain a copy), it constitutes a valid contract as it satisfies the elements of a contract: offer, acceptance, consideration, etc.
Where this is the case, such an offer letter has a provision that allows you to sign, accepting the terms (not just merely to acknowledge receipt of such document).
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by AgentGoat: 12:42pm On Jan 09
athaboi:
The company should generate employment letter for him with breakdown of his emoluments and benefits except they don't want him to japa

Tor. It's like they are trying to make things hard for him
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by rickleye: 1:17pm On Jan 09
Juraj:
My friend is attempting to get tourist Visa to a Schengen country, one of the requirements is proof of employment.
He have tried with Offer Letter but it got rejected, when asked at workplace nobody seems to have Employment Contract either.

Are they trying to gaslight him or is it common practice to only get an offer letter ?

Thanks

Just have HR print out a letter as such

[Company Letterhead]

[Company Name]
[Company Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]
[Date]

[Employee's Name]
[Employee's Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]

Dear Jon Snow,

We are pleased to confirm your employment with [Company Name] as of [start date], and acknowledge your dedication to your role over the past two years. This letter serves as an official statement of your employment status and terms.

Position: [Jon Snow's Position]
Department: [Relevant Department]
Employment Start Date: [Start Date]

Your current compensation structure is as follows:
- Salary: 100,000 Naira biweekly

If you have any questions or need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact [HR Manager/Supervisor's Name] at [HR/Supervisor's Email] or [HR/Supervisor's Phone Number].

Sincerely,

[HR Name]
[HR Title]
[Company Contact Information]
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by invigilator(m): 1:22pm On Jan 09
Well you have failed to state which of the Schengen countries he his applying to. First of all you said his offer letter duely states everything concerning his work hours, pay benefits etc. However, offer letters alone are not always conclusive for the embassy to approve your visa application. Regardless he's been working there for 2years like you said, he still needs to attach a Letter of Introduction from his company. This letter will affirm that he is an employee of the said company, will also validate that the company is aware that he's going for a Tour in the said Schengen state. For short stay visa, his company may have to give him copies of their Tax Payment, CAC registration document, and memorandum. This will help validate that His company is fully registered in Nigeria and he's not just making up the company. The bank statement salary entries will also help validate his claims.

Regardless, he should focus on providing strong evidence that he will return. The embassy may find inconsistencies in his said "current job" and feel if the visa his granted to him, he will not return when due
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by rafcrown(m): 3:06pm On Jan 09
My contract of employment is really a funny one.They wanted me to come in quickly so all the necessary spaces to be filled were left empty.I have been there for over 2 years without I.D card .A large housing association in London.
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by agabusta: 4:05pm On Jan 09
SmartyPants:

Yeah but these are all different things: Appointment letters and contracts of employment, are final documents. An offer letter is a preparatory document that outlines terms that you can negotiate. The acceptance of an offer letter doesn't imply an employment relationship, only that any subsequent contract will be in accordance with the terms you have agree upon. An offer letter can be rescinded but a contract of empolment cannot be rescinded without legal consequences.

Your submission is impressed. I've learnt from it.

I'm pleased the Nairaland of old with intelligent contributions here and there seems to be coming back.
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by SmartyPants(m): 4:34pm On Jan 09
casualobserver:

I do t think you understand what I wrote. I recall my first job after my master’s where (to the best of my recollection) all I had was the appointment letter. It was a small consultancy with many multinational clients. I am almost certain I did not write an acceptance letter as I remember I had the interview on a Friday and started on the Monday.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there was indeed an employment contract( as I remember there was an issue over payment in lieu of statutory leave when the company went bust) but I am certain I did not write a formal acceptance. So I guess if there was an employment contract, then I must have signed it….which is in effect formal acceptance.

It seems it is you who hasn't understood what I wrote - my submissions have been on offer letters and employment contracts, whereas you've been going on about acceptance letters which is not germane to the current topic.

The question is what qualifies as proof of employment and the point is that an offer letter may not qualify, hence the difficulties described in the OP.
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by casualobserver: 5:45pm On Jan 09
SmartyPants:

It seems it is you who hasn't understood what I wrote - my submissions have been on offer letters and employment contracts, whereas you've been going on about acceptance letters which is not germane to the current topic.

The question is what qualifies as proof of employment and the point is that an offer letter may not qualify, hence the difficulties described in the OP.

Mr smarty pants did you read the edit?
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by jimcaddy(m): 9:13pm On Jan 09
athaboi:
The company should generate employment letter for him with breakdown of his emoluments and benefits except they don't want him to japa
my thoughts exactly. It's not a big deal, if it were a well structured organisation, that is the job of the HR manager. But you see this so called one man business owners in this country ehn. I don't just understand them.
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by kpolli(m): 12:17am On Jan 10
Juraj:

Thanks

He should ask for proof of employment letter
Re: Employment Contract Vs Offer Letter by TeamXola(m): 2:19am On Jan 10
May God help me to preserve my job. Amen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? / 4 New Ways To Motivate Your Employees On Monday Morning / A Nairalander Aviation Journey So Far..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.