Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (8766 Views)

Poll: How would you feel if you were on a flight and found out that a 26year old female was in control of the aircraft?

relaxed: 54% (28 votes)
uncertain: 21% (11 votes)
fidgety: 23% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid? / Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. / Career Opportunity In Aviation Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by henryomega(m): 9:28am On Nov 04, 2011
Nigeria’s Aviation industry is still a male dominated world. Though over the past few decades, the female presence in the airline industry has been on the increase, by comparison, women still have a paltry presence. According to data compiled by Women in Aviation international (www.wai.com) women represent 6% of the pilot population.

In Nigeria this is no exception.

Aero Contractors (www.flyaero.com) prides itself in its contribution to the development of aviation expertise inNigeria as a whole, but in particular in the support of female involvement. Aero has 101 pilots (as at October 29 2011) in total and 13 of them are female. This is a percentage of just under 13, which is more than double the industry average.

In 2009, Aero, a Nigerian airline, became the first airline inAfricato operate a flight with an all female cockpit and cabin crew.

What are the challenges that cause barriers to entry into aviation (particularly the cockpit) for women inNigeria? This is an Aeros female pilot’s account.

Several factors determine what kind of challenges a female pilot would have. One of the main ones would be what part of the world she is flying, mindset of the populace or tradition. In the developed world, a female captain probably wouldn’t attract too much attention if passengers sighted her while boarding an aircraft. But in Africa, orNigeriaspecifically where I fly, she would definitely get a second look, and yes, believe it or not a consideration of returning to the departure hall and getting on a different flight ostensibly owing to the lack of confidence of having a woman in command.

Don’t get me wrong, over the years; I believe it has become more acceptable to see women on the flight deck. A few ‘more traditional thinking’ men may still have reservations about being at the mercy of a ‘mere’ woman while being flown in this very sophisticated equipment over several hundreds of miles. Some folks console themselves by believing she is just a ‘co-pilot’ and doesn’t really fly the plane. (She couldn’t possibly have an idea how to, not with all those buttons and switches).

Well, in all fairness, I have received several encouraging and pleasant remarks from Nigerian passengers, mostly women though!

Another factor that would probably cause any challenges to a female pilot in the Nigerian airline industry has to do with physiological issues which affect every female, regardless of geographical location. If you’re single, unlike men, there’s always the ‘biological clock’ factor and the conflict between your career and settling down. The social pressure is massive. In our society, the woman is reminded that it is hard enough locating your ‘soul mate’ let alone worrying if he’ll be supportive of your profession. If you’re married, sooner or later, you get pregnant and you can’t fly for too long after that sometimes for about a whole year. I mean, there’s nothing as joyful as having a baby! But it does slow down your career quite significantly.

Personally speaking, I wouldn’t say the challenges outweigh the pros of me being female pilot. I’m married to a pilot and this works perfectly for me. They say pilots talk about flying a lot. It’s true, it never gets boring, no two days are really the same and usually I can’t wait to get home and tell him about some weird escapade and vice versa ( be at peace, pilots don’t take passengers up and hunt escapades). I also have a 3 year old and another on the way, which means I’ll have to stop flying soon.

Every job has its challenges to women as well as to men I guess, but trust me, there’s very few jobs I’d swap mine for.

Violet Enahoro, is a female pilot with Aero Contractors company of Nigeria Limited (www.flyaero.com)
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by mukina2: 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2011
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by slimyem: 12:16pm On Dec 06, 2011
oh well,
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by sandee575(f): 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2011
Is this a commercial for Aero?
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 06, 2011
How did i missed this thread?
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by henryomega(m): 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2011
I personally think more women should stand up to the occasion and increase that popution. 6% is way too small. Piloting is a very very interesting occupation.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by yamakuza: 4:29pm On Dec 06, 2011
odiaero:

How did i missed this thread?

Too much time on VATSIM?

I wonder where Enitan is? again!
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by bonyface: 4:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
Hmmm
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by ruthkufe: 4:56pm On Dec 06, 2011
okay,
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by owenueme: 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2011
ooohhhh!
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by anafest: 5:39pm On Dec 06, 2011
good,
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 06, 2011
yamakuza:

Too much time on VATSIM?

Hhahhahahah, nope, trading
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 06, 2011
yamakuza:

Too much time on VATSIM?

Here I am, i am proud to be one, if not in real life yet, but vatsim is a living witness. yipeee, lets go there.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Yorisb: 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2011
@Poll

Insouciant. . .
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by txh(m): 11:39pm On Dec 06, 2011
I would be a little scared if I found out the plane was being handled by a lady. I would jump out for my life before it took off.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by drumma(m): 11:52pm On Dec 06, 2011
@poster I love this, please im also into aviation but its been kinda hard securing a job after i earned my diploma certificate in iata/uftaa course please could you refer me for a job I would most appreciate it
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Konnektions146(m): 12:16am On Dec 07, 2011
most people may not be confortable in an aircraft after gitttin to know a lady is in charge of the cockpit but this lack of confidence may just be attributed to ladies bein somewhat emotionally/psychologically affected easily but on a sound state of mind- some ladies can be very good at anythin they do.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by sexyliano: 12:52am On Dec 07, 2011
i will noit fwwl fine because they will be thinking about men and their something while flying and male passengers may look under her skirt at the cockpit. no women should continue sewing cloths and servicing malke pilots. nobody wants afemale pilot.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by billyG(m): 12:59am On Dec 07, 2011
I think woman shld drive molues than flying kites women dont have the courage,good judgement to stir an aircraft during distress dia brain can switch off during distress. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by logica(m): 1:59am On Dec 07, 2011
billyG:

women dont have the courage,good judgement to stir an aircraft during distress dia brain can switch off during distress.
It is an individual thing and not gender dependent. For instance most men will pee in their pants if they found themselves in the situations some female spies during WW2 simply bluffed their ways out of, while remaining calm.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Umunede(m): 2:04am On Dec 07, 2011
O boy, U go fear now. Well, one female pilot flew us recently from Lagos to Accra. I really enjoy d flight shall and na Igbo girl. Fear no 2 catch me shall, Igbo girl get mind and no b only her
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Nobody: 3:18am On Dec 07, 2011
Common car a typical naija woman cant control it for road so na plane a naija woman go wan control?.Omo if na woman dey fly the plane wey i dey i go jump comot from the plane.Ehn i no wan die oooo.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:30am On Dec 07, 2011
Abeg go relax jor. They should be encouraged to do more for the aviation sector
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Kay1kay1(m): 6:20am On Dec 07, 2011
Chauvinistic comments here. Courage, judgement, etc . . . If a lady fire-fighter came to put out the fire at your home, will you first access her courage, sense of judgement (I don't know how)? The ladies have been trained properly and can do the job. If your daughter, sister or spouse wants to do the job, bless her.

Personally, it 'd be wonderful to have more female pilots in Nigeria. Perhaps, some folks think flying entails the ability to avoid potholes in the sky. grin
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by JgregeJung: 8:30am On Dec 07, 2011
Courage is the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery. It is also having “heart,” which remains a common metaphor for inner strength.
I think the most profound thing about women, is that they display courage without even knowing they've had it in them all along. Thousands of women flew planes during WW2 so Fly Nigerian Woman Fly. angry sad
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Dpharisee: 9:05am On Dec 07, 2011
I wouldnt blame Nigerian men developing a phobia if they realise that they are being flown by an all female crew ensconced in a huge tube 30,000 feet above sea level, because of the cultural belief of women getting emotional when there is need for calm in case of a serious emergency.
Its just like seeing a female wine tapper on top of a palm tree, the African men will naturally believe that heights are not for women same as in flying a commericial aircraft but when it comes to serving the male tapped wine it is sweeter when served by the female (hostess).
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by lafile(m): 9:12am On Dec 07, 2011
Was on a flight once from Lagos to Warri. The flight was Ok, nothing beyond the ordinary. Not the smoothest flight, but no real danger. Nobody complained about the flight. Nobody felt uneasy in any way. That is until the cockpit door opened and behold it was female pilot. The first comment i heard was " No wonder", like no wonder the flight was ,  blah, blah. The next person was like " I wanted to complain about the landing. The plane almost overshot the runway". This was not true though. The landing wasn't the smoothest, but I'd seen worse landings before. Nobody would have said anything about the flight if they hadn't seen the pilot. Its a shame really that in this day and age when women have excelled in every field of human endeavour, we still have such prejudices. Sadly though, its just the way it is.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 07, 2011
lafile:

Was on a flight once from Lagos to Warri. The flight was Ok, nothing beyond the ordinary. Not the smoothest flight, but no real danger. Nobody complained about the flight. Nobody felt uneasy in any way. That is until the cockpit door opened and behold it was female pilot. The first comment i heard was " No wonder", like no wonder the flight was ,  blah, blah. The next person was like " I wanted to complain about the landing. The plane almost overshot the runway". This was not true though. The landing wasn't the smoothest, but I'd seen worse landings before. Nobody would have said anything about the flight if they hadn't seen the pilot. Its a shame really that in this day and age when women have excelled in every field of human endeavour, we still have such prejudices. Sadly though, its just the way it is.

world best pilots do have not so good landings, so that ain't an issue, just a flimsy excuse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Chiori(m): 10:24am On Dec 07, 2011
Provided she has a track record of good performance before then, no problem. But if it is the first time she is in charge, definitely I am not traveling again. Same thing goes if it were a guy on his first time in charge.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by lafile(m): 11:49am On Dec 07, 2011
enitan2002:

world best pilots do have not so good landings, so that ain't an issue, just a flimsy excuse.

Exactly my point.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Cupidkc(m): 2:01pm On Dec 07, 2011
Come to think of it women are usually meticulous when it comes to things like this. I believe that women pilots would be cool.
Have you noticed that a car known and driven by a woman is more dent free than men's car.
Well, that aside, dont think i have been in a flight piloted by a woman, dont see the pilots most times.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by Ninapha(f): 4:28pm On Dec 07, 2011
[

lefulefu:

Common car a typical naija woman cant control it for road so na plane a naija woman go wan control?.Omo if na woman dey fly the plane wey i dey i go jump comot from the plane.Ehn i no wan die oooo.

LEFUbobo so u dey fear like this grin What a man can do a woman can do with more vigour ooo. remember

(1) (2) (Reply)

Requiremet Of Joining The Nigeria Police Force / Professional Exams For Microbiology / Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.