Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,372 members, 7,836,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (8782 Views)

Poll: How would you feel if you were on a flight and found out that a 26year old female was in control of the aircraft?

relaxed: 54% (28 votes)
uncertain: 21% (11 votes)
fidgety: 23% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid? / Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. / Career Opportunity In Aviation Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by InkedNerd(f): 9:49pm On Dec 07, 2011
[size=12Pt]@OP: I'm all for the idea of having a female pilot. There are males flight attendants yet I see no one getting up in arms about that. It's really sad that we live in a society that perpetuals sexist notions on gender roles.

Konnektions146:

most people may not be confortable in an aircraft after gitttin to know a lady is in charge of the cockpit but this lack of confidence may just be attributed to ladies bein somewhat emotionally/psychologically affected easily but on a sound state of mind- some ladies can be very good at anythin they do.

No offense but the whole "women are too emotional" argument sounds like complete bullshit to me. There are women who are surgeons, judges, fire fighters, and police officers, which are last time I check jobs that require an individual to be in a sound state of mind. It's ideas like that that keep perpetuate such a low percentage of Nigerian female pilots.

sexyliano:

i will noit fwwl fine because they will be thinking about men and their something while flying and male passengers may look under her skirt at the cockpit. no women should continue sewing cloths and servicing malke pilots. nobody wants  afemale pilot.

Clearly, you've been living in some chauvinistic pre-historic cave. If we decided to follow the idiotic logic you've just given, then as a man, you shouldn't be a pilot either since studies have shown that women tend to be more rational than men.

lafile:

Was on a flight once from Lagos to Warri. The flight was Ok, nothing beyond the ordinary. Not the smoothest flight, but no real danger. Nobody complained about the flight. Nobody felt uneasy in any way. That is until the cockpit door opened and behold it was female pilot. The first comment i heard was " No wonder", like no wonder the flight was ,   blah, blah. The next person was like " I wanted to complain about the landing. The plane almost overshot the runway". This was not true though. The landing wasn't the smoothest, but I'd seen worse landings before. Nobody would have said anything about the flight if they hadn't seen the pilot. Its a shame really that in this day and age when women have excelled in every field of human endeavour, we still have such prejudices. Sadly though, its just the way it is.

That's a damn shame on their part and so very pathetic. Sadly, those are the same idiotic comments I would expect from some of the men of my family.
[/size]
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by sandee575(f): 9:58am On Dec 08, 2011
Some notable points?
Modern airplanes are so automated that the old required macho/physical efforts are eliminated.
FMCs or Flight Management Computers on board have turned today's pilot a Systems' Manager.

Landings are ignorantly judged by their smoothness but the fact is that in as much as anyone
would applaud a smooth touchdown, various factors may also make that not a priority for the
pilot. Eg: A wet runway due rain may require a "positive" touchdown to break the surface tension
associated with fluids which cause aquaplanning and subsequent possible overrun of the runway.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by beespak7(m): 10:07am On Dec 08, 2011
If i am in a plane with 2 female pilots, i wont shake at all after all what a man can do a woman can do 2 times better. Women are piloting space ships talkless of ordinary 737s no shaking.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by sandee575(f): 10:26am On Dec 08, 2011
Female pilots enjoy the glamour to no end.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by vanessaven(f): 11:45am On Dec 08, 2011
This is all rubbish. I'm been in training as a Helicopter pilot (which is harder to fly than a plane, mind you) for over two years (now as a co-pilot). I'm in a class of 11 and I've been at the top right from the beginning as the best of the lot. And guess what? I'm the only girl!!!

Enough with this chauvinistic bullshit. We can do it, and will do it better than the guys most times, that's why they are scared. I remember when I started, nobody believed in me. It hurt like hell but it made me work harder. Now all they do is praise me and I get a little pissed off when people say it like I'm doing something extraordinay because I'm just a girl in her early twenties. I always tell them that women can do this "macho" job just as good (if not better) than the men if given the chance. I'm a regular girl like the rest.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry by okikiosibodu(m): 7:15pm On Sep 12, 2016
Anyone in the house with information on how to secure sponsorship for becoming a pilot?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? / Setting Up Your Own Soap Production Factory Cost Effectively / How To Get To The Top In Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.