Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples (10657 Views)

Nigeria Airways Plane Being Prepared For Take-Off In Ikeja, Lagos In 1969 (Pic) / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / British Airways Overshot Runway At Abuja International Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Macavelius(m): 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2011
what will this action achieve by both sides
passengers are the ones to suffer in the long run
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 04, 2011
Macavelius:

which passenger? i heard BA is more cost compare to others though i never been to europe .

the ppl that will suffer are workers of the route, and i think BA will suffer most.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by stagger: 11:24pm On Nov 04, 2011
F[i]u[/i]ck these Brits.

Till date, they have refused to return all the artifacts they stole from the Benin invasion of 1897.

Then some years back, they put a travel restriction on Nigerians going to the UK.

Then they deny Arik Air operating slots? No way! This is too much!

I say we close our airspace to BA once and for all and let us make them feel real pain!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by trueword: 11:39pm On Nov 04, 2011
its good to see the nigerian govt standing up for nigerian interest. they should not allow britain to limit Arik Airs operation to Britain while British Airway can freely fly into nigeria. Give Britain taste of their own medicine.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by manny4life(m): 12:19am On Nov 05, 2011
Macavelius:

How so?

Yes or No, would Nigerians not find other options? grin grin

BA is losing about 1,500 passengers from that 4days lost, multiply that amount by an average of $650 is = about $975,000 weekly revenue, Add extra fees etc, they are losing $1m+ weekly, like duh, who exactly is LOSING ? embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by cheikh: 1:15am On Nov 05, 2011
@OP

BA and the British government will never commit economic suicide by abandoning Naija route. Please everyone on this forum should read the past annual financial reports of BA to note that the Nigerian route is the most profitable of all BA so called flight routes in the world sad. They have become accustomed to bad service delivery, Nigerian "elites" always clamour to fly BA especially our so called Abuja based government/power elite. The same mindless consumption / choice of carrier always by Nigerians gives the wrong impression to the British/BA that we do not know a thing or two about patriotism even from our rulers hence BA has become complacent, contemptuous and haughty in their dealings with their Nigerian customers. Our government cannot act beyond their capacity because our politicians are addicted to everything "foreign". Those celebrating should think again. We've seen it all before cheesy sad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by peleson: 2:56am On Nov 05, 2011
who says Gej is not a strong man, infact, i think he is stronger than our past leaders, standing up for his people and defending our sovereignty.Up GEJ.If GEJ was our president ,we wouldn't v lost Bakassi to Cameroon
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Irunmole(m): 3:40am On Nov 05, 2011
Classical P*ss taking by the British. They'll go to any length to protect their own interests without giving a hoot whose horse is gored. Kudos to the minister of aviation for this dignity restoring gesture. Once you let them know, that you'll not be taken for a fool, they promptly sit up and accord you the respect you deserve.

Who is responsible for this nonsense from the Brits? Our leaders and gullible fellow citizens with their inferiority complex about anything foreign being superior to our locally produced, goods and services.

Who'll feel the heat the most? BA of course, as the Nigerian routes, that is, Lagos/Abuja - London routes, with their contemptuous and degrading treatment of Nigerians are their cash-cows and the goose that lays the golden egg, profit wise. They milk Nigerians to subsidize other less profitable routes elsewhere, in Europe/America, with better treatment in terms of service and comfort, to boot.

I really feel proud for once that my beloved country is standing up to the bully-boy tactics of the British. Lets rip the BASA agreement to shred. Thank you Minister of Aviation, God bless you, God bless Nigeria. Never again must we be made fool of by the British in whatever guise it comes.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by VUVUZELA10: 4:37am On Nov 05, 2011
One of the best decisions by GEJ government. Good for effective and effectual diplomacy.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Gbenge77(m): 5:18am On Nov 05, 2011
How i wish they could be totally barred from flying into Nigeria!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by babaowo: 6:27am On Nov 05, 2011
hmmm playing with fire, story will change next week.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by proffmanue(m): 7:23am On Nov 05, 2011
the flight should be restricted to Abuja alone due to the demands of the Nigerian pple.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by monkeyleg: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2011
Nice, it is about time the goverment starts growing balls of steel and using it, but they must calculate well, so this doesnt come back to bite us in some other way
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by HosseinJun: 7:27am On Nov 05, 2011
smiley
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Withheld: 8:02am On Nov 05, 2011
G smiley smileydluck g shocked :od spanking for camer ;Dn and cunning brits
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Withheld: 8:04am On Nov 05, 2011
picture of goodluck spanking cameron and brits one by one.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Yankee01: 8:48am On Nov 05, 2011
Now they are worried, abi? Na so e dey pain pesin?
More slots reduction pls!!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by ArQuAbOy(m): 9:29am On Nov 05, 2011
Yankee01:

Now they are worried, abi? Na so e dey pain pesin?
More slots reduction pls!!
dem 4get say na dem teach us the sense wey we don dey use against em
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Ileya: 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2011
proffmanue:

the flight should be restricted to Abuja alone due to the demands of the Nigerian pple.

You have not heard of Air France, Lufthansa, Emirates, Alitalia, Iberia, Air Maroq, Turkish Airline, Delta Airlines, Quatar etc
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Ileya: 2:40pm On Nov 05, 2011
manny4life:

How so?

Yes or No, would Nigerians not find other options? grin grin

BA is losing about 1,500 passengers from that 4days lost, multiply that amount by an average of $650 is = about $975,000 weekly revenue, Add extra fees etc, they are losing $1m+ weekly, like duh, who exactly is LOSING ? embarassed embarassed embarassed

When you factor in First and Business Class passengers, it all adds up to a pretty penny.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by nex(m): 4:07pm On Nov 05, 2011
This is the first, and only decision GEJ has got right so far since he became President. Let us see if he doesn't recoil from this bravado, because honestly, it's very much unlike him.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by lagoshost(m): 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2011
This is a welcome development. We have to let these English people knew we are not fools.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by jboi25: 5:12am On Nov 06, 2011
if na me be GEJ i for ban them totally, 
if only nigerians wud just boycott those BA people and use other airlines wen flying to london make we see weda dat sM*ron cameron no go come kneel down for abuja to beg
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Akainzo(m): 10:46am On Nov 06, 2011
Much as a sense of patriotism would want to drive me to applaud this decision, a much more potent and overriding belief in doing things right makes melook at things objectively.

1st the BASA agreement only says flights into a country and does not stipulate the actual airport. Yes, Heathrow is the airport of choice but Gatwick is also in UK the last time I checked.

It doesn't seem right that this decision was taking based on landing rights and not based on denial of entry. Arik has not been denied entry to UK nor its slot reduced, Arik was simply not successful in its bid to get a slot at Heathrow, it has Gatwick and the LC airports still available.

Should the FG lean on the UK government to get at least one slot, quite rightly so. Should they invoke the BASA agreement, I don't think so.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by KokoBeware: 11:14pm On Nov 06, 2011
Much as a sense of patriotism would want to drive me to applaud this decision, a much more potent and overriding belief in doing things right makes melook at things objectively.

1st the BASA agreement only says flights into a country and does not stipulate the actual airport. Yes, Heathrow is the airport of choice but Gatwick is also in UK the last time I checked.

It doesn't seem right that this decision was taking based on landing rights and not based on denial of entry. Arik has not been denied entry to UK nor its slot reduced, Arik was simply not successful in its bid to get a slot at Heathrow, it has Gatwick and the LC airports still available.

Should the FG lean on the UK government to get at least one slot, quite rightly so. Should they invoke the BASA agreement, I don't think so.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by DisGuy: 11:34pm On Nov 06, 2011
What I don't understand is why BA, why not Virgin? undecided

Is BA the owner of Heathrow

the Irony= Government officials prefer to using BA than Arik

I hope it doesn't come back to bite us, for the meantime lets beat our chest

badly run Arik will now be in the black books of many other 'partner' countries

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66639:nigeria-wrong-in-sanctioning-british-airways-for-heathrows-offence&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

hmmm why didnt FG bar DSTV for wining the Premiership license when HiTV couldn't compete?
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by fakindele: 1:49am On Nov 07, 2011
1. Kudos to our Aviation Minister Surprisingly she has "balls" to make the move while other ministers with balls cant even use them.
2. Its time we stand for our country
3. Irony of life Gatwick Airport and City Airport are owned by a Nigerian
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by aribisala0(m): 2:46pm On Nov 07, 2011
Akainzo:

on paper it sounds good. once i met a virgin pilot and he told me Nigeria was their most lucrative route with the highest occupancy for 1st class and Business Class. this was quite a while ago before security concerns escalated in the niger delta. they actually bought a hotel in PH because nothing was "good enough" for them. this shows how much money they make in our country. though that was small change for them. the real issue is that we need a national carrier to compete with BA Virgin and i am not sure Arik is up to it.

another issue the government should pursue with these people is the use of Nigerians in top level jobs by forcing them to have a verifiable skills acquisition/transfer programme for Nigerians .  many of these businesses get away with employing oyinbo drivers as expatriates and so Local airlines will struggle to find nigerians with adequate skills exposure.
e.g
Nigeria can insist that a percentage of BA,Virgin Personnel pay income tax etc in Nigeria. it is naive to believe anyone practises free trade

but i think it is  naive. in real life things are very different from theory.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Guk: 11:52pm On Nov 07, 2011
If this is the kind of applause we give to irresponsible behaviour by grandstanding, hypocritical, so called leaders, honestly, i weep for Nigeria. embarassed

These are people leading us into an abyss. sad

In a responsible country, the Minister will proudly show evidence that she uses ARIK on that route but i dare say she cant cry
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by damola1: 6:29am On Nov 08, 2011
why can't they fix our damn airport!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by gistcity(m): 5:07am On Nov 16, 2020

(1) (2) (Reply)

Extortion: Protesting Tricycle Operators Ground Commercial Activities In Onitsha / Railway Corporation Generates N80million From Abuja-kaduna Train Service / Ecowas Seeks Visa-free Regime With EU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.