Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties (15405 Views)

Food Security: AATF Delivers Transgenic Maize Varieties To African Farmers / Tomato Scarcity Looms As FG Approves Importation For Nine Companies / Phillippines Approves Commercial Production Of Genetically-modified Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Danabu(m): 9:37am On Jan 13
Dpharisee:
Na all these Genetically Modified food dey follow cause increase in strange ailments like cancer.
Even many countries don't encourage GM products, we didn't have prevalence of cancers when we ate basic organic foods, it was sickness for rich people who thought that eating cornbeef instead of native chicken was a status symbol.

Russia banned gm foods and declared its producers within its territories terrorist. Dee our lives.?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by fineboynl(m): 10:06am On Jan 13
Tabs101:

I live in Russia. It is true what Birdbyrde440 said GMos are banned in Russia except it is done for scientific purposes and even at that many regulatory authorities have to sanction and approve such experiments.
Now remember that Russia is a science giant themselves. Major scientists like the biologist Gregor Mendel who founded the idea of genetics and plant modifications itself and most of everything we know of in biology and medicine today, was a Russian!
but they eat genetic animal
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by fineboynl(m): 10:08am On Jan 13
ScamDemicEra:

None of the organic food fit for human consumption came by genetic engineering.

Check your facts, don't confuse genetic engineering with various traditional cross breeding agricultural techniques that has existed for thousand of years.
the apple you are eating is genetically modify
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by femi4: 10:38am On Jan 13
Paraman:
almost every crop people around the world are eating are genetically modified.
And that's why we have genetic modified diseases

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 11:09am On Jan 13
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Why don't you like seedless crops?

Apologies, I used the wrong description in haste.
My problem is with terminator seeds, which can never give life again, and not seedless crops.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 11:10am On Jan 13
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Why don't you like seedless crops?

Apologies, I used the wrong description in haste.
My problem is with terminator seeds, which can never give life again, and not seedless crops.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Truthshscrazy: 11:25am On Jan 13
fineboynl:
I live in Russia. I do not 🚭 eat genetic animal. I only use my hard earned money to buy meat specifically GMO free πŸ†“ meat.

Nobody forces you to unknowingly consume GMO food in Europe. As legislation mandates GMO food to be appropriately πŸ§ͺ🧫 labelled .so if you preferably choose to feed your family genetic animal & GMO food, it's your choice.

Russia is even kinda more totalitarian & more dictative tendencies than UK, Germany, and western Europe normally.
If GMO food is detected in the shopping πŸ›’ mall, during food drugs administration raiding, the supermarket owner can be arrested . That's why Food labels are essential

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by fineboynl(m): 11:31am On Jan 13
Truthshscrazy:

I live in Russia. I do not 🚭 eat genetic animal. I only use my hard earned money to buy meat specifically GMO free πŸ†“ meat.

Nobody forces you to unknowingly consume GMO food in Europe. As legislation mandates GMO food to be appropriately πŸ§ͺ🧫 labelled .so if you preferably choose to feed your family genetic animal & GMO food, it's your choice.

Russia is even kinda more totalitarian & more fictative tendencies than UK, Germany, and western Europe normally.
If GMO food is detected in the shopping πŸ›’ mall, during food drugs administration raiding, the supermarket owner can be arrested . That's why Food labels are essential
Russia eat chicken

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Truthshscrazy: 11:36am On Jan 13
fineboynl:
Russia eat chicken
There is non GMO chicken πŸ”
There is GMO chicken πŸ”
There is organic chicken. available
If you preferably choose to buy πŸ›’ GMO chicken or non organic chicken to feed your family, Oga you are the one making that CHOICE.

Nobody forces you to consume GMO food unknowingly in Europe, unlike some countries, where it is not compulsory but voluntary to label food containing gmo .

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by fineboynl(m): 11:40am On Jan 13
Truthshscrazy:

There is non GMO chicken πŸ”
There is GMO chicken πŸ”
There is organic chicken. available
If you preferably choose to buy πŸ›’ GMO chicken or non organic chicken to feed your family, Oga you are the one making that CHOICE.

Nobody forces you to consume GMO food unknowingly in Europe, unlike some countries, where it is not compulsory but voluntary to label food containing gmo .
i’m only countering you because you said it was ban. And terrorism in Russia
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Truthshscrazy: 11:54am On Jan 13
fineboynl:
i’m only countering you because you said it was ban. And terrorism in Russia
Yes it is Banned.
Just as POTASSIUM BROMATE BREAD 🍞 is banned 🚫 in Nigeria but after NAFDAC approval with clean unpolluted samples, Some bread people consume today , still secretly contains potassium bromate in Nigeria market.
It takes regular suprise impromptu NAFDAC raids to fish them out.

So it is in Russia in eastern Europe/Asia aka Eurasia.
GMO is banned.

Normal European union countries, all food with GMO up to 1% must be πŸ§ͺ labelled .
In shopping πŸ›’ mall, U will see Chicken πŸ” labelled GMOfree πŸ†“, chicken labelled organic ,chicken labelled Containing GMO.
SO YOU WILL BE THE ONE DECIDING WHAT TO FEED YOUR FAMILY WITH. IF YOU WANT TO FEED THEM GMO FOOD & MEAT lN EUROPE, ITS YOUR CHOICE. unlike some countries where it is voluntary and not mandatory to label any food containing πŸ§ͺ GMO.

Russia is kinda more dictative and authoritarian, in chicken section or food section in Russia, over 80% food in the market from top brands & producers are labelled GMO FREE. NO GMO CONTAINED.

Non-GMO food is more readily available in russia unlike normal western European country. That it's like 50:50.

Only once or twice l came across lab πŸ§ͺ grown meat appropriately labelled. I nor even bother use my hard earned money buy . Just as l won't use my money to buy GMO chicken πŸ” when l can buy non gmo or better still, organic chicken instead.

infact l can swear almost 90% food in Russia shops almost everything in Russia federation is labelled GMO free πŸ†“. So if Food drugs administration is conducting occasional raids in πŸ›’ shops , & food is lab πŸ§ͺ tested & gmo found, Shop owners & food suppliers/producers can be ARRESTED & treated like terrorists

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by COMPAQ(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13
[quote author=mrvitalis post=127907134]
What exactly is your own?
What do you produce?

They want you dead and you are not dead? [/quote

Don't mind him. They want us dead but Nigeria population has tripled in 40 years.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by TYCO77: 12:27pm On Jan 13
[color=#000099][/color]
Paraman:
almost every crop people around the world are eating are genetically modified.

Even livestock, most especially poultry.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tohsynetita1: 12:34pm On Jan 13
MasterTeeUSA:
You are assuming in ideal situation...some areas have droughts, soil pollution, inadequate access and so on....like Lagos...it can't produce enough food to sustain the population hence everything is more expensive because of the population size and transportation...some countries can't feed themselves and organic farming can't produce enough to feed the world.
drought, flood are natural disasters government can curb. Places like Lagos doesn't have land for farming even the GMO you are praising won't have sufficient land to grow there. No be like that natural disasters they reign for Nigeria now. between Lagos to Ibadan Express road alone, have not heard of any disaster in that route since have been born but their are hundreds of lands wasting away. Any this era that we have learnt about some type of farming we can do in our city like sack farming, green House, vertical farming, hydroponics, aeroponics, e.t.c. We have resources to do good organic farming now than before. it's just that many see farming as dirty, wretched, poor, stressful job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tohsynetita1: 12:37pm On Jan 13
MasterTeeUSA:
You are assuming in ideal situation...some areas have droughts, soil pollution, inadequate access and so on....like Lagos...it can't produce enough food to sustain the population hence everything is more expensive because of the population size and transportation...some countries can't feed themselves and organic farming can't produce enough to feed the world.
Drought, flood are natural disasters government can curb. Places like Lagos doesn't have land for farming even the GMO you are praising won't have sufficient land to grow there. No be like that natural disasters they reign for Nigeria now. between Lagos to Ibadan Express road alone, have not heard of any disaster in that route since have been born but their are hundreds of lands wasting away. And this era that we have learnt about some type of farming we can do in our city like sack farming, green House, vertical farming, hydroponics, aeroponics, e.t.c. We have resources to do good organic farming now than before. it's just that many see farming as dirty, wretched, poor, stressful job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tohsynetita1: 12:38pm On Jan 13
MasterTeeUSA:

Drought, flood are natural disasters government can curb. Places like Lagos doesn't have land for farming even the GMO you are praising won't have sufficient land to grow there. No be like that natural disasters they reign for Nigeria now. between Lagos to Ibadan Express road alone, have not heard of any disaster in that route since have been born but their are hundreds of lands wasting away. And this era that we have learnt about some type of farming we can do in our city like sack farming, green House, vertical farming, hydroponics, aeroponics, e.t.c. We have resources to do good organic farming now than before. it's just that many see farming as dirty, wretched, poor, stressful job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tabs101: 12:39pm On Jan 13
fineboynl:
meaning?
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by fineboynl(m): 12:54pm On Jan 13
Tabs101:

meaning?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Konquest: 1:18pm On Jan 13
DaddyJapan:

Source: https://independent.ng/nigeria-approves-commercial-release-of-gm-maize-varieties
The Federal government of Nigeria has approved the commercial release of transgenic insect-resistant and drought-tolerant maize varieties, known as TELA maize.

The new maize varieties are drought tolerant and are resistant to stem-borer and fall armyworm resulting in a yield advantage of up to 10 tonnes per hectare under good agronomic practices.

The national average for similar hybrids is 6 tonnes per hectare. The varieties are suitable for Rain Forest, Guinea, and Sudan Savannas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Johnn87: 1:31pm On Jan 13
[quote author=fineboynl post=127920365][/quote]

Listen, even in one of the most artificial biotech lab grown food countries on earth, the USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ, l know health conscious people who only buy certified organic meat from organic farmers market in USA.
Some people who are very well enlightened patronise only grass fed cow πŸ„πŸ„ meat , & they don't mind shelling a few extra bucks.

Chicken is not genetically modified per say according to USDA. It boils down to their feed, whether they are fed GMO meals, raised in overcrowded places Vs pasteur freeRange or farm raced with wide spacings, laced with Antibiotics, pesticides , chemicals, chemicals supplements, FAST GROWTH HORMONES, or if an animal has been fed pumping Steroids ETC. which are dangerous overtime when they build up in the human body. Even when some of these pesticides & chemicals are washed up into the water 🌊 bodies, they pollute the Environment & fish water bodies, making them lethal & unfit for consumption.

Most producers are in for fast profit not minding the greater costs on health of populace , 10years down the line.

lf you are concerned with how the chickens you consume are raised, most developed countries in every region, in every major city, have tested ethical certified organic producers brands and local farmers which you can patronise instead.

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by akaahs(m): 3:03pm On Jan 13
Paraman:
If you can't provide a source, then you made it out of thin air. GMO foods were not banned by Putin.
I only know of labelling to differentiate between gmo and organic food in every food store

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tabs101: 4:07pm On Jan 13
[quote author=fineboynl post=127920365][/quote]
They don't eat all these shitty chicken in Russia my friend. Poultry farmers here adhere to health rules. All commercially available chicken meat are bred with traditional and anti-GMO standards.
Besides why are you showing me an American illustration of GMO in America (that has been available on the internet for donkey years) when we are talking about Russina?
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by lexylaw40: 4:28am On Jan 14
JuanDeDios:

Does Bill Gates produce GM maize?
Is Bill Gates involved in the agric sector or its value chain?
Is Bill Gates into biotechnology/bioengeneering?
If your answer to the above questions is "Yes", do you have proof?
If the answer to the above is "No," what is the relationship between Gates' visit and this announcement?
yes Bill Gate is now the gmo advocate of the world and he is becoming the top farmer in the world. He has been rejected in India and all African countries
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by lexylaw40: 4:29am On Jan 14
In fact organic crops have been baned in the America
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by dickt1(m): 6:50am On Jan 15
Paraman:
Show me where you got this from. Such a news will be reported by major news outlets in Russia and around the world.
I can see that you are really ignorant about how those who control the world operate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by dickt1(m): 6:52am On Jan 15
mrvitalis:

Is corn native to Africa?

How about cassava is it native to Africa?

Oh wait what of potato

Oh and sweet potato?

How about plantain

Oh how about banana?

Did I forget oranges?

Mangos?

Pineapples

Bros if the West wanted us dead we would have been longed dead

Ask Argentina

Your ignorance of the evils of the western powers stinks. You think you know but you know almost nothing
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 8:59am On Jan 15
dickt1:

I can see that you are really ignorant about how those who control the world operate
Show me legit news source and leave all this your explanation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment / Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 / Bad Roads Affecting The Sales Of Farm Produce [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.