Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? (545 Views)

Call It What It Is, Jehovah's Witness Is A Weird Fucking Cult / Proof To Jehovah Witnesses That Jesus Is Jehovah. / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 7:41am On Jan 18
The Jehovah's Witnesses's organization has as one of its prime doctrines of 1914 return of Jesus and thereafter began his invisible presence and rulership over his discreet slaves. In the recent waves of ' New Lights ' certain teachings have been discarded, modified and new ones embraced. The latest of these is the wearing of beard by choice not as a requirement as formerly taught and practiced.
Since the death of the founder,. Charles Taxes Russell, many things have changed and splinter groups arose due to internal wranglings and leadership tussles. Many in recent times have left the organization by disagreeing with some doctrines, or a disfellowshiped. In certain European countries, litigations are ongoing for various reasons with the States,. Notable among whose are Spain, Norway and few others.

In a recent convention in Puerto Rico, the topic addressed here was considered and it seems to be jettisoned in no distant future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqrrit4a6U?si=MMVoBXmWITKrWwc4
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Felimax(m): 8:12am On Jan 18
They are coming for you and be ready to address one junkie fellow of the Niger.

Peace out!
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by FaceTanke: 8:36am On Jan 18
Its like they stopped going door to door too
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Jerryhare: 10:05am On Jan 18
They are now gaining their senses back!
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 8:28am On Jan 19
FaceTanke:
Its like they stopped going door to door too

New Lights are replacing delusional doctrines.

These folks are deluded.
Walahi
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 8:31am On Jan 19
Jerryhare:
They are now gaining their senses back!

Small, small.

I wish to see my friends MaximumSide, Janosky, and others in their full grown beards.

gringringrin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 8:32am On Jan 19
Felimax:
They are coming for you and be ready to address one junkie fellow of the Niger.

Peace out!

I am always up to the task.

You didn't get it?

2 Likes

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by LordReed(m): 5:53pm On Jan 19
MightySparrow:

The Jehovah's Witnesses's organization has as one of its prime doctrines of 1914 return of Jesus and thereafter began his invisible presence and rulership over his discreet slaves. In the recent waves of ' New Lights ' certain teachings have been discarded, modified and new ones embraced. The latest of these is the wearing of beard by choice not as a requirement as formerly taught and practiced.
Since the death of the founder,. Charles Taxes Russell, many things have changed and splinter groups arose due to internal wranglings and leadership tussles. Many in recent times have left the organization by disagreeing with some doctrines, or a disfellowshiped. In certain European countries, litigations are ongoing for various reasons with the States,. Notable among whose are Spain, Norway and few others.

In a recent convention in Puerto Rico, the topic addressed here was considered and it seems to be jettisoned in no distant future.

The fact is all Christians who believe Jesus is Coming SoonTM will have face up to the same challenge this JW teaching is facing because I'll bet you dollars to donuts such a thing is not going to happen. For those who think date setting is the main culprit, just consider the words themselves, coming soon, there is no explanation that makes this make sense given the time lines we are seeing.

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 8:00pm On Jan 19
LordReed:

The fact is all Christians who believe Jesus is Coming SoonTM will have face up to the same challenge this JW teaching is facing because I'll bet you dollars to donuts such a thing is not going to happen. For those who think date setting is the main culprit, just consider the words themselves, coming soon, there is no explanation that makes this make sense given the time lines we are seeing.

All interpreters that have assigned dates to prophecies of Christ's return failed woefully. The latest I know was a Harold Camping. When Rutherford prediction failed, he claimed an invisible Christ ruling jws subjects from heaven. New Lights are now making them to have a rethink.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Image123(m): 4:21am On Jan 20
LordReed:

You have been told several times that a thousand years is like a day before God. It therefore makes perfect sense. Jesus was God's solution for the Genesis 3 incident. He talked about Him in Genesis 3v15,16. A human being would send Jesus Christ that same evening. God sent Him thousands of years later. Open those eyes of yours if you can.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by LordReed(m): 8:40am On Jan 20
MightySparrow:

All interpreters that have assigned dates to prophecies of Christ's return failed woefully. The latest I know was a Harold Camping. When Rutherford prediction failed, he claimed an invisible Christ ruling jws subjects from heaven. New Lights are now making them to have a rethink.

Of course they and they will fail till the end of time because Jesus is not going to come back. Whether you set a date or not, it's an event that will never happen.

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by FxMasterz: 12:36pm On Jan 20
LordReed:

Of course they and they will fail till the end of time because Jesus is not going to come back. Whether you set a date or not, it's an event that will never happen.

Jesus gave a timeline of events leading to His coming. Why are those events happening as foretold?
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by LordReed(m): 1:18pm On Jan 20
FxMasterz:

Jesus gave a timeline of events leading to His coming. Why are those events happening as foretold?

What timeline? Did he say it would take thousands of years? Why did people like Paul and the author of the book of Peter think it was going to happen in their lifetime?

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Image123(m): 1:18pm On Jan 20
LordReed:

You'll cry but it'll then be too late reed. Now is the day of salvation.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Image123(m): 1:34pm On Jan 20
LordReed:

What timeline? Did he say it would take thousands of years? Why did people like Paul and the author of the book of Peter think it was going to happen in their lifetime?

Chief LIAR, dey lie sensibly on behalf of your father na.

2Co 5:1  For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 

2Co 5:8  We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 

Php 1:23  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: 

2Ti 4:7  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 

2Pe 1:14  Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. 
2Pe 1:15  Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by FxMasterz: 4:15pm On Jan 20
LordReed:

Both Peter and Paul actually made it plain that the coming of Christ won't happen anytime soon.

Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 said:

"1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming"

Note:
The Lord would come at the height of the wickedness of the man of sin to destroy him with the brightness of His coming. The revelation of the man of sin is at the tale end of the timeline.

Peter said in 2 Peter 3:1-10

"1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up."

Notes:

Can you see how in verse 3, Peter accurately prophesied concerning you scoffers and saying exactly what you would say in your mockery in verse 4?

The verses 3 and 4 are saying that scoffers would come up and say that Christ is not coming. "He has been prophesied thousands of years and the earth still remains the way it has been. Many people who heard that Christ is coming have fallen asleep (died) but till now no Christ has appeared." They'll say so because they're ignorant of God's timeline and are also unaware of God's reluctance to destroy the world. He keeps waiting for people to repent. He'll wait until the man of sin appears to completely take over the earth. The coming of Christ would be to destroy him and recover the earth from satanic destruction.

When we look at the timeline, we'll see many prophecies that have been fulfilled while others remain future. We know what to anticipate as Christians as the world draws to a close.

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Emusan(m): 4:29pm On Jan 20
MightySparrow:

Since it's not BIBLICAL, it must be discarded.

Well, they will still make excuses for the gods in Warwick and praise them for this New (confuse) Light
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by capnies: 5:59pm On Jan 20
JESUS SAID HE HIMSELF DOES NOT KNOW THE DAY OF HIS COMING, ONLY HIS FATHER
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 6:08pm On Jan 20
Emusan:

Since it's not BIBLICAL, it must be discarded.

Well, they will still make excuses for the gods in Warwick and praise them for this New (confuse) Light

Many sincere people have been victimized, disfellowshiped, shunned on this doctrine. Notable are Carl Olof Jonsson, Professor Furuli.
What is the fate of those deceived to their graves? How many more 'New Light' to expect in the coming decades?
I tell my friends here and. have maintained it that they are living in delusion. They replied with unprintable abuses.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by LordReed(m): 6:16pm On Jan 20
FxMasterz:

Both Peter and Paul actually made it plain that the coming of Christ won't happen anytime soon.

Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 said:

"1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming"

Note:
The Lord would come at the height of the wickedness of the man of sin to destroy him with the brightness of His coming. The revelation of the man of sin is at the tale end of the timeline.

Peter said in 2 Peter 3:1-10

"1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up."

Notes:

Can you see how in verse 3, Peter accurately prophesied concerning you scoffers and saying exactly what you would say in your mockery in verse 4?

The verses 3 and 4 are saying that scoffers would come up and say that Christ is not coming. "He has been prophesied thousands of years and the earth still remains the way it has been. Many people who heard that Christ is coming have fallen asleep (died) but till now no Christ has appeared." They'll say so because they're ignorant of God's timeline and are also unaware of God's reluctance to destroy the world. He keeps waiting for people to repent. He'll wait until the man of sin appears to completely take over the earth. The coming of Christ would be to destroy him and recover the earth from satanic destruction.

When we look at the timeline, we'll see many prophecies that have been fulfilled while others remain future. We know what to anticipate as Christians as the world draws to a close.

1 Thessalonians 4
15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

How can 'we who are still alive' be referring to people who weren't alive at that time?

Are you telling me there were no scoffers at the time the book was written?

1 Peter 4
7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.

How does near now translate to thousands of years?

Revelation 22
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.

Soon is now thousands of years? How?! Why would someone who is coming in thousands of years claim he is coming soon? Was he lying?

BTW you said it was Jesus who gave the timeline so where is the timeline Jesus gave and show where he said it would take thousands of years.

1 Like

Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Jerryhare: 6:33pm On Jan 20
MightySparrow:

Small, small.

I wish to see my friends MaximumSide, Janosky, and others in their full grown beards.

gringringrin

Hehehehehe grin cheesy
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Image123(m): 6:39pm On Jan 20
LordReed:

1 Thessalonians 4
15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

How can 'we who are still alive' be referring to people who weren't alive at that time?

1 Peter 4
7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.

Revelation 22
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.

Soon is now thousands of years? How?! Why would someone who is coming in thousands of years claim he is coming soon? Was he lying?

BTW you said it was Jesus who gave the timeline so where is the timeline Jesus gave and show where he said it would take thousands of years.

Keep deceiving yourself, and others that are slow enough to believe you. You read what was written to you but choose to dance around naked as your usual rigmarole is. Jesus Christ Himself said He did not know the exact time or any angel. Like we say, and like Paul and Peter said, it can be today or tomorrow, now or in 500 years time. Just like my signature has been saying for months. The point they usually emphasized was that of readiness, as death or rapture could bring about the Lord's presence. i still quoted Peter, reminding everyone how Jesus told him he would die, but you choose to hide your head in the sand like an ostrich.
Every servant of the Lord waits for and prays for His soon return because they know that the world will get worse and worse till He comes again. They also KNOW that if they died this minute, they will be with the Lord the next so the motive of waiting and hoping is clearly and reasonably not personal.
For the umpteenth time, SOON is not now thousands of years, it has been thousands of years as far back as the Psalms and then Peter telling us that 3000 years were a mere 3 days to the Lord. That's sooner than the time you take to pay up your debt soon. PERSPECTIVE. You certainly should stop looking through time like a rabbit.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by FxMasterz: 7:13pm On Jan 20
[quote author=LordReed post=128039346]

1 Thessalonians 4

[quote]How can 'we who are still alive' be referring to people who weren't alive at that time?

No one knows for certain when the Lord would come. The timeline could begin and start in one's lifetime. It's always logical to speak in the present and to live as though Christ would come today. That's the very reason Christ didn't give a specific day. So that we may live and walk as though He's coming today. There wasn't any indication that the man of sin would not be revealed even in Paul's day. So, he must speak in such a way that his hearers wouldn't lose their guard by postponing the day of the Lord in their minds. We still speak like that today because no one knows the hour or the time.

There were no scoffers who mocked the second coming.

1 Peter 4

Revelation 22

Soon in God's piece is not a measurement of the earthly time. In the Spirit realm, there's nothing called time. Everything is just a Now thing. Events are always Now events. Time is not measured. There are no days. There's only a day. No night and day. Just a day. It's been a day with God since the second coming was promised. That day is still running. Meanwhile, man has counted thousands of years.

God lives in Eternity. Man lives in time. In Eternity, even 10,000 years is still soon. It's just like a few seconds.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Emusan(m): 8:07pm On Jan 20
MightySparrow:
Many sincere people have been victimized, disfellowshiped, shunned on this doctrine. Notable are Carl Olof Jonsson, Professor Furuli.

This is a big issue that their followers can't rationally defend without deviating.

What is the fate of those deceived to their graves? How many more 'New Light' to expect in the coming decades?

I do ask the same question especially when the teaching of JESUS should be worshipped was considered idolatry. What will happen to those who died with that believe?

I tell my friends here and. have maintained it that they are living in delusion. They replied with unprintable abuses.

Just to defend those men in Warwick, that's the reason, not about their own salvation.
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by Sand2022: 12:33pm On Feb 01
MightySparrow:

It's unfortunate that those who claim to defend JWs here lack knowledge of their religion.

The talk by the Spanish JW is not saying that the 1914 doctrine has been abandoned. JWs doctrinal system attach specific meaning to phrases or words. The speaker is saying that Jesus coming in his "Glorious Throne'" aspect in Matt 24 has been recently clarified. They have done that prior to this year. I can't recall the year this happened now, but it was like 2013 or thereabout that they made that change.

But on Jesus being a king in 1914 is still intact.

Jesus coming in his glorious throne' is now understood to be his judgment appearance during the Great Tribulation. Previously all these terms referred to 1914, but they recently shifted that aspect to GTrib. But his being king of God's kingdom is still in 1914.

The JW still wrongly think Jesus presence began in 1914. The appointed times of the nations still ends in 1914. That appointed time is what gave rise to the calculation that landed them to 1914. That 1914 is still the start of the Lord's day.

Many did misunderstand that speakers point.

Of course they may change the 1914 in the future. That will be a huge change. It will have huge implications if they change it. That doctrine do make them look unintelligent. It is a nonsense of a doctrine. I have written on that in one of my Ministry series on this board.

https://www.nairaland.com/7882892/ministry-jws-part-2-1914
Re: Is Jehovah's Witnesses About To Abandon 1914 Doctrine? by MightySparrow: 1:40pm On Feb 01
Sand2022:

It's unfortunate that those who claim to defend JWs here lack knowledge of their religion.

The talk by the Spanish JW is not saying that the 1914 doctrine has been abandoned. JWs doctrinal system attach specific meaning to phrases or words. The speaker is saying that Jesus coming in his "Glorious Throne'" aspect in Matt 24 has been recently clarified. They have done that prior to this year. I can't recall the year this happened now, but it was like 2013 or thereabout that they made that change.

But on Jesus being a king in 1914 is still intact.

Jesus coming in his glorious throne' is now understood to be his judgment appearance during the Great Tribulation. Previously all these terms referred to 1914, but they recently shifted that aspect to GTrib. But his being king of God's kingdom is still in 1914.

The JW still wrongly think Jesus presence began in 1914. The appointed times of the nations still ends in 1914. That appointed time is what gave rise to the calculation that landed them to 1914. That 1914 is still the start of the Lord's day.

Many did misunderstand that speakers point.

Of course they may change the 1914 in the future. That will be a huge change. It will have huge implications if they change it. That doctrine do make them look unintelligent. It is a nonsense of a doctrine. I have written on that in one of my Ministry series on this board.

https://www.nairaland.com/7882892/ministry-jws-part-2-1914

Thanks for the confirmation. I will create time to read your series this weekend.
The 1914 idea is on wrong interpretation of vision Nebuchadnezzar. It whole thing doesn't make any scriptural or historical sense.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jos Crisis Again Ahaaaaaaaaaaaa / Decision / What Is Your Take On Obasanjo's Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.