Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings (310 Views)

Rivers State University Teaching Hospital: A Major Boost To The Nigerian Health / Impending Harvest Of Death At The Ekiti State Teaching Hospital---a Call To Acti / Jos University Teaching Hospital - A Ghost Of Its Former Self (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by irririchris(m): 1:36am On Jan 22
The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History of Horror and Hauntings

The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital, later known as the Harrisburg State Hospital, was the first public facility to house the mentally ill and disabled in the state. It was established in 1845, after the efforts of social reformer Dorothea Dix, who advocated for the humane treatment of the insane. The hospital operated until 2006, and during its long and tragic history, it witnessed many atrocities and tragedies that left a mark on its walls and its inhabitants. Today, the hospital is considered one of the most haunted places in Pennsylvania, attracting paranormal investigators and thrill-seekers who want to experience its dark and eerie atmosphere.

The hospital was built on a hill overlooking the city of Harrisburg, on a 183-acre campus that contained about 30 buildings of various architectural styles. The main building, designed by John Haviland, followed the Kirkbride Plan, which was a popular model for mental institutions in the 19th century. The Kirkbride Plan aimed to provide a therapeutic environment for the patients, with spacious and well-ventilated wards, natural light, and scenic views. The hospital also offered various amenities and activities for the patients, such as a rooftop garden, a bowling alley, a small farm, and a library.

However, the reality of the hospital was far from idyllic, as it became a site of horrific and unethical experiments on the mentally ill. The patients were subjected to cruel and inhumane treatments, such as lobotomies, insulin shock therapy, electroconvulsive therapy, and hydrotherapy. These procedures often resulted in permanent damage, death, or worse. The hospital was also overcrowded and understaffed, creating a chaotic and unsanitary environment for the patients. Many of them died from neglect, disease, or suicide, adding to the death toll of the building.

The hospital was also plagued by scandals and controversies, such as corruption, abuse, and murder. In 1903, a fire broke out in the female ward, killing 25 patients and injuring 20 more. The fire was allegedly caused by a patient who set her mattress on fire, but some suspected that it was an act of arson by a disgruntled employee. In 1917, a nurse was found dead in the basement, with her throat slashed and her body mutilated. The killer was never found, and the case remains unsolved. In 1937, a patient named Joseph Raber escaped from the hospital and killed a farmer and his wife, before being shot by the police. Raber was a notorious criminal, who had been committed to the hospital after killing his wife and children in 1929.

The hospital closed its doors in 2006, after decades of decline and deinstitutionalization. The building was left abandoned and decaying, but not empty. According to many reports, the hospital is haunted by the restless spirits of the former patients and staff, who still roam the corridors and rooms, manifesting as apparitions, shadows, voices, and physical sensations. Some of the most active areas are the hydrotherapy room, the bowling alley, the basement, and the children's ward.

The hospital is also known as the "City on the Hill" and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district. It is a place that holds a dark and tragic history, reflecting the suffering and pain of its past inhabitants. It is a place that challenges the brave and curious who dare to explore its secrets and mysteries. It is a place that will never forget and will never let go of its horror.

If you are more comfortable with videos, I have created one, and here is the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4bCh6q7jKc
Re: The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by Shezzman: 2:09am On Jan 22
This would be a great write up for kdpamazon, crime category...

1 Like

Re: The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by irririchris(m): 2:14am On Jan 22
really? I forgot my amazonkdp password, don't know how to go about it?
Shezzman:
This would be a great write up for kdpamazon, crime category...
Re: The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by Shezzman: 5:58am On Jan 22
Which browser did you used in signing in?if is chrome, go to password manager you will see it or click on "forgot password" on Amazon...
irririchris:
really? I forgot my amazonkdp password, don't know how to go about it?
Re: The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by irririchris(m): 8:23am On Jan 22
I did that, but it's sending an OTP to my phone, and it's not delivering.
Shezzman:
Which browser did you used in signing in?if is chrome, go to password manager you will see it or click on "forgot password" on Amazon...
Re: The Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital: A History Of Horror And Hauntings by irririchris(m): 9:29am On Jan 24
Maybe I should just continue with this thread, instead of creating another one for another topic.

(1) (Reply)

My Mental Health Challenges, Who Can Help? / Brand And In The Next Three Minutes I'm Going / Http://tonadermsite.net/erecteen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.