Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,495 members, 7,812,530 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board (10901 Views)

Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board / Nigeria To Sell Refineries, ICC, 34 Others / Designer Emeka Opara Measures Tinubu's Dress Size (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Antoeni(m): 6:19am On Jan 23
THE new bid by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited to entrust the management of its largest refinery in private hands begs the question of privatisation. It is not only beating about the bush, but the state continues to evade full-blown privatisation, thereby serving as a bulwark to potential growth in the industry, robust revenues for the government, and a lease of life for Nigerians.

Just recently, the state-owned oil giant stunned the public by stating that it has completed the rehabilitation of the 210,000-barrel per day Port Harcourt Refinery in Rivers State with a loan of $1.5 billion and is seeking private hands to operate and maintain it. The NNPC will hold on to its overall management.

This is a half-measure, but in whose interest? It is another ploy to dodge the clamour for privatisation, which is currently the international best practice. The government wants to remain a player in the downstream sector instead of totally unbundling the firm, and focusing on regulation and collection of taxes and royalties.

For Nigeria, which is spending trillions of naira to import fuel because its refineries have been dormant for decades, there is no hiding place but to privatise.

Its situation is compounded by the turn around maintenance cost spent on the four state-owned refineries over the years without result. This was N11.4 trillion, $592 million, €4 million, and £3 million from 2010 to 2020, the Senate stated. It paid N127 billion as salaries, wages, and employee benefits to NNPC staff at the Kaduna, Warri, and Port Harcourt refineries between 2020 and 2021, per Dataphyte.

Nigeria should not be locked inside itself. In the United States, the government owns none of the 132 refineries, which refine 19.68 million bpd or 20.3 per cent of the daily global consumption. The 15 members of the Canadian Fuels Association operate along the same lines after the government sold Petro Canada to Suncor Energy.

Therefore, the Bola Tinubu government needs to create a level playing field in the energy sector instead of stifling same. While the upcoming Dangote Refinery and other privately-owned modular refineries across Nigeria underscore promise in the equitable distribution of crude, competitiveness, and growth, the influence of the NNPC in the sector hobbles the same.

Instead of controlling the refineries, the government should concentrate on pressing matters in the industry. In August 2023, the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu stated that Nigeria was losing 400,000 barrels of crude oil per day to vandals, criminals, and economic saboteurs.

A report stated that Nigeria lost $10 billion to large-scale crude oil theft between January and July 2022. Between December and the first five days in January 2024, reports stated that the NNPC recorded 157 incidents of crude oil theft across the Niger Delta. Oil spill is an environmental concern.

Recently, the Shell Petroleum Development Company, despite operating in Nigeria for decades, divested its onshore assets to a private consortium, Renaissance, due to oil theft, sabotage, operational issues, costly repairs, and high-profile lawsuits for $2.4 billion. The government and the NNPC should focus on fixing the impediments that pushed Shell to divest.

Therefore, Tinubu should sell the refineries to competent international companies. This will generate ample FDI; government will benefit further as it will stop paying salaries and other running costs and stop borrowing for rehabilitation.

To revitalise the sector, the Tinubu administration must discontinue the statist policies of his predecessor, who merely changed the name of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation to NNPCL but retained government’s overbearing influence and control over the company.

https://punchng.com/no-half-measures-tinubu-sell-refineries/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1705970243

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Antoeni(m): 6:21am On Jan 23
The Asiwaju of Insecurity,
We Are Enjoying The Weather

6 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Antoeni(m): 6:29am On Jan 23
All Nigerian ‘Prophets’ Apostles, Bishops, GOs, Psators Refused to Prophesied on Who Will Win the AFCON

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by okomile(f): 6:33am On Jan 23
Las las
We go survive our corn3

They should sell all and share all citizens our due national cake
grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Dshocker(m): 8:15am On Jan 23
Wahala...

The same Tinubu that promised Nigerians that Port Harcourt refinery will commence work before December 25th 2023.

4 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by skywalker240(m): 8:15am On Jan 23
Over the years, the government has proven that it can't handle any company of it's own

Should have been sold long time ago

10 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Biodun556(m): 8:15am On Jan 23
It is better, I think

2 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Kelvinofficial: 8:17am On Jan 23
If not for the inefficiency of the govt and the corruption plaguing NNPC, the government of the day should be the one in charge of these large industries. I keep saying it, that we should emulate China and follow their economic trajectory. But the west will tell you that govt shouldn’t be doing business, thereby giving multinationals and big corporations power over govt.

12 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by bentenny(m): 8:18am On Jan 23
No need for outright selling!
Do public private enterprise like LNG

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by adesegun121(m): 8:21am On Jan 23
Ok
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Inspirer1: 8:21am On Jan 23
Only God can fix Nigeria, the means is what I don't know

1 Like

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by deavicky(m): 8:22am On Jan 23
Very soon he will sell the remaining of us that has refused to Japa.

2 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by BarrElChapo(m): 8:23am On Jan 23
🤔
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Mitsurugi(m): 8:24am On Jan 23
angry Government has no business in doing business. Their responsibility remains creating a conducive environment for doing business and receiving taxes.

1 Like

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Kenochi(m): 8:27am On Jan 23
I align myself wholly with the thinking of the Punch Editorial Board,this administration must sell off those scrap metals called Refineries,there is nothing that stops them from selling two of the Refineries for a start and hold on to two of those scrap metals pending when they sell it
The NNPCL cannot handle a Refinery, that era in the organisation is far gone. The only thing that the Refinery is to the NNPCL is just a conduit pipe for looting the Nation dry,nothing else
The greatest legacy this government will leave is to sell off those scarp metals and unbundle Nigeria from the shackle of waste associated with the Scrap metals

Visit my signature to get good properties at good prices at the Ibeju Lekki Industrial Hub which includes the Dangote Refinery,Free Trade Zone and Deep Sea port

2 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Okwyjesus(m): 8:27am On Jan 23
Antoeni:
The Asiwaju of Insecurity,
We Are Enjoying The Weather

North can't frustrate him as they did to Jonathan. We understand their game.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by SpatialKing(m): 8:28am On Jan 23
Hahaha 😁

Tinubu only came to sell, steal and destroy everything that is remaining in this country as a Nation...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by idolda: 8:29am On Jan 23
Punch is right, we can't keep spending trillions of naira every other year repairing the refineries when clearly the workers there will sabotage it. Yaradua made a very wrong decision reversing the sales of those refineries to Dangote. Best is to sell the refineries and invest the proceed in roads, healthcare system and agriculture. Govt has no business in doing business and let's leave oil business to private sector let them compete and crash the price while govt limit it function to regulation and oversight.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Lanre1st(m): 8:29am On Jan 23
What is this editorial is trying to incite, I suspect the writing as paid column from those wish to buy refineries.

You are comparing Nigeria to US, CANADA where tax system is utilised at its best. Why not compare Nigeria with Saudi, Qatar, Russia or China where state own investment are working perfectly.

I don't think Nigeria sell its owned assets is best, Privatise itoperation but not the assets. What have they been using the money realised on past sales to do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by chiedu7: 8:34am On Jan 23
dem wan loot oh
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Judolisco(m): 8:44am On Jan 23
They should sell it, FG should only focus on regulation

3 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Judolisco(m): 8:46am On Jan 23
Lanre1st:
What is this editorial is trying to incite, I suspect the writing as paid column from those wish to buy refineries.

You are comparing Nigeria to US, CANADA where tax system is utilised at its best. Why not compare Nigeria with Russia or China where state own investment are work perfectly.

I don't think Nigeria sell its owned assets is best, what are they been using the money realised on past sales to do?
oga d refineries ain't working.... Jst like d power sector sold by Jonathan, power has improved since it's privatisation.... Sell it to people that will utilise it.... Nigeria no be Canada or US but we still dey japa go there... Or are we immuned to good things?

6 Likes

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by happney65: 8:47am On Jan 23
They will not hear because their ears are blocked

Sell those damm things off. But No,they will never ever hear.

So called First class accountant to ti lu le. undecided
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by esemes256: 8:48am On Jan 23
I get scared when I try to calculate the amount of money Nigeria has borrowed and wasted over the years. Valuable resources being wasted in Nigeria on an hourly basis.

1 Like

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by happney65: 8:52am On Jan 23
idolda:
Punch is right, we can't keep spending trillions of naira every other year repairing the refineries when clearly the workers there will sabotage it. Yaradua made a very wrong decision reversing the sales of those refineries to Dangote. Best is to sell the refineries and invest the proceed in roads, healthcare system and agriculture. Govt has no business in doing business and let's leave oil business to private sector let them compete and crash the price while govt limit it function to regulation and oversight.

Thank you.

This is what we have been telling them all these while but their brains is only good for carrying Agbado

1 Like

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Lifemanage: 8:52am On Jan 23
Antoeni:
All Nigerian ‘Prophets’ Apostles, Bishops, GOs, Psators Refused to Prophesied on Who Will Win the AFCON
Not needed. That's foolishness

1 Like

Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Lifemanage: 8:56am On Jan 23
esemes256:
I get scared when I try to calculate the amount of money Nigeria has borrowed and wasted over the years. Valuable resources being wasted in Nigeria on an hourly basis.
By few thieves. It bothers me how even local government chairmen are incompetent and irresponsible to minor maintenance works in their areas of domain
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by Ironbull: 8:57am On Jan 23
Nonsense, I'm not interested in all these baluba shit all I cares about is let oil be available to the public at a reasonable price the rest nonsense I give no shit.
Re: No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board by bdon12: 8:58am On Jan 23
Antoeni:

https://punchng.com/no-half-measures-tinubu-sell-refineries/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1705970243
We are a stupid country that dont wanna learn .government has no business running refineries or being players in d downstream sector.An NOC like NNPC should only be involved in regulation n compliance to government laws and not actual running or participation. No refinery in nigeria will ever work if it is run by nnpc.nnpc is an employment house for rewarding relatives of government friendly politicians.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Vows To Keep Killing Nigerians Till Demands Are Met / Lagos Police Command Rank Top In Africa / Sowore: Kola Abiola Should not Contest Against Me (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.