Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Rent Issue! - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rent Issue! (18050 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

Re: Rent Issue! by Idoko619(m): 12:42pm On Jan 23
GoodBoi1:

You just insulted yourself. Count 365 days and correct yourself. Add days to the date

Don't mind all this agents here on NL
Re: Rent Issue! by Idoko619(m): 12:43pm On Jan 23
Jocdon:
Those saying August are pure evil. Stop supporting wickedness.

Most likely agents that forgot a year is 365days

Re: Rent Issue! by MidasTouch15: 12:50pm On Jan 23
Paramount01:

Says who, rent is 12 month,from January to December
I dont know for you o but all houses i have stayed in , different states, i renew at the exact date of my first rent so i don't knw where u guys aqe getting your calculations from.
Re: Rent Issue! by zoezoelogistics(m): 12:52pm On Jan 23
inoki247:

Let me break it down in a simple way how many days do we have in a Week I guess 7 today is Tuesday if you tell someone to meet u next week Tuesday start the counting from today and see if is still 7days...

Mathematically, you don't start counting from today.
You start counting from tomorrow.
Because tomorrow marks Day 1 (24 Hrs after)
So it clocks 7 days by next week Tuesday - which is of course 1 week.

Re: Rent Issue! by Winneygirl(f): 12:55pm On Jan 23
ambient:

Of you paid on the 16th, your money starts counting same day you paid na,or you want to live in landlord's house for free for a month?
One month is 30days.
If you paid one month rent on 16th September, when does it expire? 15th october.

You cannot count September as one month, considering that you have not yet stayed up to 30days. Or will you count 1-15th october as staying for free?

If you insist that the month starts counting from 16th September when paid, you are saying that as at 16th September, you have stayed there for 30days.
Whereas, it is by 15th october that you clock 30days.

So you start counting for the year in october.
Re: Rent Issue! by Lukuluku69(m): 12:55pm On Jan 23
olusamuel01:

See how you used the word "absolutely" carelessly. You're very careless. So his next rent will be due July and the next one after that June according to your careless calculations. So you started counting the months from the September he paid? Has he spent up to one month in that same month? or how come you started counting from September? Mr careless his first month in that house was in October and that's where you start your counting from. From September to October, one month, October to November, two months and so on. Count carefully and see how careless you've been.

Noted Sir!
Re: Rent Issue! by Gggjhhj: 1:01pm On Jan 23
Had similar issue with a landlord
Re: Rent Issue! by Starpro87(m): 1:03pm On Jan 23
cenaman:
A calender year is 12 month not 13.... Na thief u be?
It is supposed to be September to September.
If you said it's August and you keep calculating that way, there will get to a point where everything will close in and your rent will expire the same moment you're paying it.
Let them not use your brain.
Re: Rent Issue! by Geovanni412(m): 1:06pm On Jan 23
Majesty7:

If that is how you manage it, when will he pay the second rent?

His rent runs from September to August each year

This is how it works in reality not theory or from some online or local landlords.

1 year rent runs from September 2024- August 2025

2 year rent runs from September 2024 - August 2026

5 year lease, runs from September 2024- August 2029

Nobody signs an infinite contract. After the term in the tenancy agreement expires, a clause in the tenancy agreement usually states that any renewal of the tenancy will follow the same duration.

That is how it works. So, if you are a yearly tenant and you pay and activate the renewal clause in the agreement that takes effect before September 2024. That clause implies that your rent will continue to run to August 2025.

Hope this has clarified the issue for you.
Re: Rent Issue! by Nazgul: 1:07pm On Jan 23
maasoap:
Of course, there is something you can do. That's because they can't force you to accept 11 months as 12 months.
Not when your receipt is reading 11 months. If you want to do something you must do it before making payment. Cos once you've made payment and they've issued you a receipt, you just have to make payment before your rent expires otherwise, you'll become an illegal tenant.
Re: Rent Issue! by Patented: 1:08pm On Jan 23
you did not answer my Q though, cos the date you paid your first rent is dritical to determining when your rent becomes due
Gentlesoul2021:

I have been here for 2 years, we have not been having this issue not until the landlord gave his property to an agent or lawyer to manage abi oversee am ni
Re: Rent Issue! by Gavel(m): 1:12pm On Jan 23
Your rent began to run on 17th September and will expire on 16th September. Rent always expires on the eve of its anniversary.

Take it from someone who holds a PhD in Property and Business Law and 17 years legal Practice experience.

Re: Rent Issue! by riverbird: 1:15pm On Jan 23
Rubyjade:
Unfortunately this doesn't work in Nigeria.

It still works with some landlords that still have conscience and the fear of God, a friend payed for a house in November 10th but the receipt given to him was dated December 1st.
Re: Rent Issue! by WayStage(m): 1:16pm On Jan 23
inoki247:

Let me break it down in a simple way how many days do we have in a Week I guess 7 today is Tuesday if you tell someone to meet u next week Tuesday start the counting from today and see if is still 7days...
You count day n night sir to complete 7 days.
Re: Rent Issue! by FireUpNow(m): 1:16pm On Jan 23
It will in August and not September because the day youade payment, your rentage starts counting.
Re: Rent Issue! by maasoap(m): 1:18pm On Jan 23
Nazgul:

Not when your receipt is reading 11 months. If you want to do something you must do it before making payment.

I understand you. But if you haven't been living in the house already, they wouldn't lend house to you if you don't agree to 11 months.

Cos once you've made payment and they've issued you a receipt, you just have to make payment before your rent expires otherwise, you'll become an illegal tenant.
No. It is easier if you are already living in the house. They can't declare you illegal occupant when you have your receipt with you grin grin grin
Re: Rent Issue! by donwily(m): 1:28pm On Jan 23
It depends on the agreement you reached with the Landlord.
On a normal, if you make payment on 17th of September, the rent should start counting from October 1st to September 30th but Probably, you had seen the apartment before 1st of September and asked the landlord to keep for you, hence your rent should start counting from 1st of September to 31st of August.
Re: Rent Issue! by SouthSouth1914: 1:30pm On Jan 23
Dougad:

Mid September.

Una Sabi yarn rubbish with full confidence for this site

Your brain is in the dustbin. You get it back!
Re: Rent Issue! by kisani: 1:30pm On Jan 23
Why worrying ourselves, Jan 1, 2023 to Jan 1, 2024 12 months. Sept 16, 2023 to Sept 16, 2024 is 12 months.
Re: Rent Issue! by SouthSouth1914: 1:31pm On Jan 23
Majesty7:

So if he pays in August, he will repay another one in July and so on?

Don't be a cheat. It is September to September

Sept to sept is 13 months bro! He is only paying for a year which is 12 month.
Re: Rent Issue! by SouthSouth1914: 1:32pm On Jan 23
femi4:
Count again

Lets break the rent down to monthly basis..
Sept 17 - Oct 16 = 1 month
Oct 17 - Nov 16 = 2 months
Nov 17- Dec 16 = 3 months
Dec 17 - Jan 16 = 4 months
Jan 17- Feb 16 = 5 months
Feb 17 - Mar 16 = 6 months
Mar 17 - Apr 16= 7 months
Apr 17- May 16 = 8 months
May 17 - Jun 16 = 9 months
Jun 17 - Jul 16= 10 months
Jul 17 - Aug 16 = 11 months
Aug 17 - Sep 16 = 12 months

Why didn’t you calculate it as Sept 17-Oct 17?
Re: Rent Issue! by Nazgul: 1:39pm On Jan 23
maasoap:
I understand you. But if you haven't been living in the house already, they wouldn't lend house to you if you don't agree to 11 months.
True.

maasoap:
No. It is easier if you are already living in the house. They can't declare you illegal occupant when you have your receipt with you grin grin grin
You're not getting it. Landlords don't do this...it's mostly all these barristers who don't live there but are managing the property that do this 11 months nonsense.

And if you're renting a house from a barrister, you'd have to be very careful cos most of them would make you sign an agreement that you would be denied access into the house 3 weeks after the expiration of your rent. (A close friend of mine had this nasty experience)

Once you sign this, and it's on an 11 month countdown, and still fail to make payment after 11 months and 3 weeks. They'll lock up your house, and rent it out to another person.

You can do gra gra with a landlord living in the same compound with you, but whenever you're dealing with a barrister, you have to be extremely careful cos any action they take against you, can be defended by them in court if you choose to take legal action against them.
Re: Rent Issue! by fidet1(m): 2:01pm On Jan 23
Most of the responses here weak person sha. Imagine these people are registered voters in Nigeria, how them go gree vote competent leaders.

Your rent ends on 16 Sept. The day before the payment anniversary. Simple

Re: Rent Issue! by JayPeeOham: 2:23pm On Jan 23
tuzle:
if he just moved into the house September 17th and paid the rent that day, do u expect him to renew the rent august 17th of the next year? If yes now count again and u will see that is 11 months and not 12. But if he was staying there before and his rent already expired before he paid, then that is a different issue entirely. But if he moved there September 17th 2023, then September 16th 2024 should make it a year. September 17th starts a new circle

We are saying the same thing with different grammar grin cheesy
Re: Rent Issue! by femi4: 2:23pm On Jan 23
SouthSouth1914:

Why didn’t you calculate it as Sept 17-Oct 17?
That's because 17 to 17 is 31 days

Breakdown
17-30 Sept = 14days
1-17 Oct = 17 days

17 + 14 = 31days

An average calendar use in calculations is always between 28-30 days
Re: Rent Issue! by Gentlesoul2021(m): 2:28pm On Jan 23
Patented:
you did not answer my Q though, cos the date you paid your first rent is dritical to determining when your rent becomes due

I moved in 17th sept 2021 Nd I av been maintaining that routine in payment...
Re: Rent Issue! by Acidosis(m): 2:37pm On Jan 23
PrinceofSarcasm:
It's September to August

So if he renews his rent in August 2024, when is he going to pay 2025's rent? July? Then by 2026, he will be paying rent in May? Is that a sensible thing?

His rent is September to September. Period.
Re: Rent Issue! by ITbomb(m): 2:55pm On Jan 23
Sirebrightlight:
September October November December January February March April may June July August..... Count and tell me how many months are listed here 🤐🤐🤐🤔👀👀
If you count like that, it implies that he paid on September 1st since you are counting one full month. In that case, the rent expires by end of August.

However, if he pays by middle of the month, you don't count September full
Re: Rent Issue! by chatinent: 3:06pm On Jan 23
Re: Rent Issue! by ambient: 3:08pm On Jan 23
Winneygirl:

One month is 30days.
If you paid one month rent on 16th September, when does it expire? 15th october.

You cannot count September as one month, considering that you have not yet stayed up to 30days. Or will you count 1-15th october as staying for free?

If you insist that the month starts counting from 16th September when paid, you are saying that as at 16th September, you have stayed there for 30days.
Whereas, it is by 15th october that you clock 30days.

So you start counting for the year in october.

you are confusing yourself,landlords count from the day you paid your rent,that is 15th september to 15 october makes it a month,count it for 12month,but he or she can plead with the lanlord to start from a the 1st of the next month.
Re: Rent Issue! by femi4: 3:15pm On Jan 23
kole22k:
Imagine I can see so many people on this NL that always castigate whatever govt does, they complain like tomorrow no dey, abuse govt like kilode, common to calculate 12 calendar months they no fit, you see them saying Buhari no go school, Tinubu get fake results, see whole lots of arguments just to calculate 12 calendar month, September 2023 to August 2024 is 12 months while September to September is 13 month, so if you pay house rent for 1 year which is 12 months, the calculation will be from September 16, 2023, to August 2024 which is 1 year. I hope the Coconut brain people will be able to understand this. [color=#000099][/color]
Saying rubbish with confidence. I m sure you didn't pay attention to details in the original post

Re: Rent Issue! by WantsandMore: 3:16pm On Jan 23
Geovanni412:

Don't you have tenancy agreement?

It is September to August, that's how we calculate it on all the properties we manage.

Do well to pay your landlord on time
are you calculating for 11 months or 12 months?

Best Quality Screeding Material In Nigeria / The New Phase Of Hillcrest Estate Sabon Lugbe, Abuja. Be A Landlord Now! / Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54