Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Rent Issue! - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rent Issue! (18112 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rent Issue! by Fr33born(m): 3:18pm On Jan 23
Rents are paid by dates and not by Months.
If you paid 17 Sept, it will expire 15 sept next year.

If you allow those wicked agents and landlords saying August, you will lose. If you pay in August, next year, you will be asked to pay in July and another yr in June and they will keep stealing one month money from you.
Re: Rent Issue! by Paramount01(m): 3:18pm On Jan 23
MidasTouch15:

I dont know for you o but all houses i have stayed in , different states, i renew at the exact date of my first rent so i don't knw where u guys aqe getting your calculations from.

This is what I just thought my students today, house rent is Annually, what is annually, 12months (365days) you pay 1st of January your rent expires 31st of December
Re: Rent Issue! by Helpfromabove1(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23
Majesty7:

Rubbish. So next payment will be July or the same August? Deluded folks

Maybe I need to break down this more

A calendar year is from Jan 2023 to Dec 2023 and not Jan 2023 to Jan 2024

The real point of confusion here is because he paid on the 16th (mid month) if according to the receipt and agreement his rent starts counting from that date of payment then is annual payment will be due on the 15th of sept but in practice mostly start at the beginning of the month and end at the last day of the month eg from 1 August to 31 July , 1 Sept - 30 August e. t.c and it is what is on the agreement and receipt that stand not date of payment
Re: Rent Issue! by Helpfromabove1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 23
femi4:
You are wrong. He paid Mid September

The real point of confusion here is because he paid on the 16th (mid month) if according to the receipt and agreement his rent starts counting from that date of payment then is annual payment will be due on the 15th of sept but in practice mostly start at the beginning of the month and end at the last day of the month eg from 1 August to 31 July , 1 Sept - 30 August e. t.c and it is what is on the agreement and receipt that stand not date of payment
Re: Rent Issue! by Helpfromabove1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 23
SSpeter:
you are wrong because if I make the next payment in August then subsequent payment will be in July and the next will be in June. You are guys are just being unreasonable

Re: Rent Issue! by folla: 5:28pm On Jan 23
If you paid a year rent, it should expire on 16th September the next year.

Gentlesoul2021:
Good day NL

Please don't air me. I paid my last rent in September, September 17th to be precise. When is my rent suppose to expire, is it not September the following year?

How come they are counting August?

If you do your birthday March 5, are you celebrating your next year birthday by February 5?
OR
When a new child is born on Monday and named Monday the following week, why didn't the naming be held on Sunday..

We calculate everything right but when it comes to rent, we draw the line?

Please come to my rescue and explain because I don't understand again.

When is my rent suppose to expire I need clarification. Thank you.
Re: Rent Issue! by femi4: 5:59pm On Jan 23
Helpfromabove1:

Case closed, other analysis are not required in this context.

OP specifically mentioned 15th September as start date

Learn to understand the OP before you start unnecessary argument

Most nairalanders are eager to make comment without thorough understanding of the original post
Re: Rent Issue! by Patented: 6:09pm On Jan 23
Gentlesoul2021:

I moved in 17th sept 2021 Nd I av been maintaining that routine in payment...

U rent expires 16th sept and becomes due on the 17th
Re: Rent Issue! by Winneygirl(f): 6:41pm On Jan 23
ambient:

you are confusing yourself,landlords count from the day you paid your rent,that is 15th september to 15 october makes it a month,count it for 12month,but he or she can plead with the lanlord to start from a the 1st of the next month.

Everybody counts from the day you pay.
By your own logic, if 15th october makes it one month.
15th oct-1
15th Nov-2
15th dec-3
15th Jan-4
15th Feb-5
15th Mar-6
15th Apr-7
15th May-8
15th Jun-9
15th Jul-10
15th Aug-11
15th Sep-12

I can't believe we have to spell this out kindergarten style.
Re: Rent Issue! by maasoap(m): 8:27pm On Jan 23
Nazgul:

True.

You're not getting it. Landlords don't do this...it's mostly all these barristers who don't live there but are managing the property that do this 11 months nonsense.

And if you're renting a house from a barrister, you'd have to be very careful cos most of them would make you sign an agreement that you would be denied access into the house 3 weeks after the expiration of your rent. (A close friend of mine had this nasty experience)

Once you sign this, and it's on an 11 month countdown, and still fail to make payment after 11 months and 3 weeks. They'll lock up your house, and rent it out to another person.

You can do gra gra with a landlord living in the same compound with you, but whenever you're dealing with a barrister, you have to be extremely careful cos any action they take against you, can be defended by them in court if you choose to take legal action against them .

They can't defend charging a tenant for 12 months and making him spend 11 months in court no matter what the tenant might have signed. I would trick them successfully. And unless they use thugs, how would they deny you access to your properties?
Re: Rent Issue! by maasoap(m): 8:37pm On Jan 23
SSpeter:
you are wrong because if I make the next payment in August then subsequent payment will be in July and the next will be in June. You are guys are just being unreasonable

Is this really necessary? On top say your calculation is even wrong.
That is if you made payment August 1st, another payment would be July 1st of course. But you can't just say August without putting the date, you have to be specific.
Assuming you made payment August 29th, your rent would be due on August 28th another year and make another payment on August 29th again. Or, would you prefer to pay another rent on July 1st? Thereby short changed yourself by 29 days
Re: Rent Issue! by BigDickProblems: 9:06pm On Jan 23
Gentlesoul2021:
Good day NL

Please don't air me. I paid my last rent in September, September 17th to be precise. When is my rent suppose to expire, is it not September the following year?

If you do your birthday March 5, are you celebrating your next year birthday by February 5?
OR
When a new child is born on Monday and named Monday the following week, why didn't the naming be held on Sunday..

Don't mind all these people, they don't know Maths.

You paid on September 17th.

✅You have used 13 days in September

✅ October to August is 11 months

✅Now you've used 11months and 13days in total. We need another 17 days from the next month after August (i.e September) to make it a complete year.
✅Take 17 days from September (i.e September 17th) to add to 11months and 13 days to make it a complete year.

In Summary:
13days after September 17th + 11months (October to August) + 17 days from September the next year (i.e September 17th) = 1 year

1 Like

Re: Rent Issue! by Melagros(m): 11:05pm On Jan 23
SouthSouth1914:
September to September is 13 months. August is correct!
You're absolutely wrong, December 25, 2021 to December 25, 2022 makes a year and not the other way round
Re: Rent Issue! by Melagros(m): 11:09pm On Jan 23
cenaman:
A calender year is 12 month not 13.... Na thief u be?
You're absolutely wrong, December 25, 2021 to December 25, 2022 makes a year and not the other way round. That's how i pay my rent.
You're calculation is based on Islamic calendar
Re: Rent Issue! by BluntCrazeMan: 5:43am On Jan 24
Gentlesoul2021:
Good day NL

OR

Rent is not counted like Birthdays..

The month you paid is the month you're due.

If you paid on 30th September last year, you are due to pay next rent on 1st of September this Year.

If you paid in 1st September last year, you're due for next rent on 1st September this year.

Thus, if you paid rent on 17th September last year, your due-date is also 1st September this year.

It means, whichever date you pay,, that last date of the month before the month which you paid should be the expiry date of your rent.

That's why some people wait to pay the first rent at the beginning of the month.
Re: Rent Issue! by Nazgul: 6:09am On Jan 24
maasoap:
They can't defend charging a tenant for 12 months and making him spend 11 months in court no matter what the tenant might have signed. I would trick them successfully. And unless they use thugs, how would they deny you access to your properties?
There's a reason it's called agreement.

And it carries your name, picture, occupation...and most of all your signature at the bottom.

That's all the court needs, you can't win such case. Cos they'll tell you that if you didn't want to pay for 11 months, why did you sign the agreement?

The court would tell you to either pay the money, or vacate the premises cos an agreement is an agreement.
Re: Rent Issue! by maasoap(m): 9:29am On Jan 24
Nazgul:

There's a reason it's called agreement.

And it carries your name, picture, occupation...and most of all your signature at the bottom.

That's all the court needs, you can't win such case. Cos they'll tell you that if you didn't want to pay for 11 months, why did you sign the agreement?

The court would tell you to either pay the money, or vacate the premises cos an agreement is an agreement.
I don't think any judge will agree that 11 months make 1 year.
The judge will know that it's a rip off. The agreement is year, right? We're only talking about how many months make one year, right? Or, they will claim that they leased out their house for 11 months?
Re: Rent Issue! by Nazgul: 1:10pm On Jan 24
maasoap:

I don't think any judge will agree that 11 months make 1 year.
The judge will know that it's a rip off. The agreement is year, right? We're only talking about how many months make one year, right? Or, they will claim that they leased out their house for 11 months?
You're not getting it. The judge doesn't care about how many months make one year. All he cares about is the agreement you signed binding you to the contract.

So if you signed that 6 months would be one year, that's what the court would work with. Cos you agreed to it.
Re: Rent Issue! by Bfly: 3:52pm On Jan 29
If dem say your rent expires August 31, then who will account for the 1st to 16th Sept.
Next time on the first of the month and the whole issue would be gone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fire Destroys House In Oke-Ira, Lagos (Photos) / An Apartment On Fire In CBN Estate 2, Alakija / 15 Speedboats Destroyed As Cigarette Stub Sparks Fire In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.