Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

-- - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / -- (5743 Views)

Is It A Crime For 2nd Or 3rd Daughter To Get Married Before The 1st Daughter / First Nigerians To Get Married In Forssa, Finland (video) / Why Is There A Huge Pressure On Girls To Get Married Before A Certian Age? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

-- by nice4life: 11:15pm On Nov 06, 2011
--
Re: -- by MrsChima1(f): 11:20pm On Nov 06, 2011
Why would you wait to marry your spouse just because your eldest sibling is not married? undecided
Re: -- by ArQueBusieR(m): 11:44pm On Nov 06, 2011
What's wrong with it?
Re: -- by freecocoa(f): 12:01am On Nov 07, 2011
See talk o.
So if my elder brother isn't ready to get married,I should wait till he is,I ain't waiting for anybody abeg and no one should wait for me as well,anybody wey first see partner should marry.
Re: -- by Nobody: 12:43am On Nov 07, 2011
Very legal OP
Re: -- by HighChief4(m): 1:09am On Nov 07, 2011
So you can also remain unmarried if your elder brother chooses not to marry?
Re: -- by ayh191: 3:05am On Nov 07, 2011
@op, Its ethical na, as a matter of fact, my cousin sis just got married before her elder brother to some rich football dude few wks back. . . .meaning big party!!
Re: -- by iice(f): 10:40am On Nov 07, 2011
Depends on how traditional your family is.
Re: -- by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 07, 2011
nice4life:

NL is it ethical to get married before your senior brother and trow a big celebration? Do you think if someone has no choice its better to make the marriage a low key instead of making it a big party?

It's very ethical. Waiting for your elder brother (who may have no plans to get married at all) is just plain dumb.
Re: -- by femmy2010(m): 3:43pm On Nov 07, 2011
No wrong.
Re: -- by maclatunji: 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2011
It is okay to get married before your older sibling but it is totally wrong to disrespect him/her because you got married ahead of them.
Re: -- by Outstrip(f): 6:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
Na wa oh
Re: -- by efisher(m): 8:13pm On Nov 07, 2011
In marriage, there is no elder brother! It is about u and ur spouse. However, If I were in ur shoes, I will make it low key. Besides, what's the point having elaborate celebrations?
Re: -- by N101: 9:36pm On Nov 07, 2011
maclatunji: It is okay to get married before your older sibling but it is totally wrong to disrespect him/her because you got married ahead of them.
I totally agree but it defeats me why in the 21st century someone would want to disrespect their sibling because of their marital status. Someone must have a serious inferiority complex to do that.

@ nice4life
Yes it's ethical - this is not an ethical dilemma but a cultural one. Have a wedding that both parties can afford and want. It's the celebration of a union between two people, not a look-what-I've-achieved-that-my-older-brother-hasn't event, otherwise it would be named as such and not called a wedding.
Re: -- by tpia5: 10:14pm On Nov 07, 2011
Is it just me, or is the number of s.tupid topics increasing by the day on nl.

Where do they breed these people?

I would so love to see the profiling on some of them.

Ie their psychological makeup and what exactly in their background makes them constantly function at abysmal levels.
Re: -- by HighChief4(m): 10:44pm On Nov 07, 2011
^^^I agree with that cos we have a lot of people like you on this board
Re: -- by Roland17(m): 12:43am On Nov 08, 2011
Is that supposed to cause any conflict?
Re: -- by willarrie(m): 5:18pm On Nov 08, 2011
Ethical,cultural or cotsi,call it watever u want buh me,l'll gladly marry my better half once am set.If u dey vex,go hug transformer.
Re: -- by dayokanu(m): 5:18pm On Nov 08, 2011
Go ahead
Re: -- by ovwigho1(m): 5:27pm On Nov 08, 2011
yes na
Re: -- by ssjalo(m): 5:32pm On Nov 08, 2011
presently my wedding date was already fixed and i'm preparing for a wonderful occasion mind you our second born he's yet to marry even not think of it,and to says the fact one is person inbetween him and i.So, continue to get marry provided that you love each other with your spouse.
Re: -- by tlops(m): 5:34pm On Nov 08, 2011
there is room for overtaking in this matter. or are you Pakistani or Bangladeshi, na dem dey wait for their older siblings to get married before the younger one can. do you know the funny thing? they no fit talk to woman.
Re: -- by blank(f): 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2011
Please wait.
Re: -- by Orikinla(m): 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2011
If he is not ready to marry, you don't have to let him delay yours.
Re: -- by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2011
OP,

Would you refuse a job offer just because your older sibling does not have one? Or better still if an opportunity comes to make progress in life, will you wait till your older siblings have such opportunities first.

I'd advice you not to buy a car before your older sibling, dont build a house before them, no progress until they have achieved all theirs and you will be fine
Re: -- by omomakun: 6:55pm On Nov 08, 2011
My dear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I did, had a grand celebration and all, didn't feel guilty about it. Everything na turn my turn, NO LE LE.
Re: -- by jle(f): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2011
Go ahead. There is no "set-in-stone" rule regarding who gets married first in a family.
Re: -- by kings112(m): 7:14pm On Nov 08, 2011
Well ! Me am the eldest in my family my younga bros is desperate 2 get marid but wot is drawing him bak is me(stil single)
i tel am, boy if u wan mari go mari oooo, if u ar waiting 4 me hmmm! Am sori i hav 2 gather enof dough first.
Since then he don concentrate on his biznes.
Nashville:

OP,

Would you refuse a job offer just because your older sibling does not have one? Or better still if an opportunity comes to make progress in life, will you wait till your older siblings have such opportunities first.

I'd advice you not to buy a car before your older sibling, dont build a house before them, no progress until they have achieved all theirs and you will be fine
so u mean getin marid is a progress in life eeeehh ?
Mcheeeeeeeeeeeeew,
Re: -- by Maximip(m): 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2011
I once heard a story of a man that wanted to marry a girl but the girl complained that she wants her elder sister to get married first. The
sharp guy just dumped the girl sharply and married the sister.
Re: -- by WAVixen: 7:29pm On Nov 08, 2011
You do not use the workings of someone's shedule to determine yours. Senior or junior doesnt matter.
Re: -- by kelz88(f): 8:04pm On Nov 08, 2011
Since when was this an issue? SMH!
Re: -- by sylvagiva(m): 8:11pm On Nov 08, 2011
Are you running you elder brothers destiny or you have ur life to live

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just Before I Leave: A Nairalander's Pre-suicide Thoughts / My Whole Body Aches After............... / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.