Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,352 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School (1527 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Police To Give Junior Officers With University Degrees Instant Promotion / Police To Promote Junior Officers With Higher Qualifications – IG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by buddy(m): 3:58pm On Jul 10, 2005
Hi people,

I changed units in my office not too long ago, and found out that my new boss was like two years my junior in secondary school.

Sometimes I am not sure how to relate with him because he has a funny attitude. When you talk to him it's like you are bugging him and other times he talks normal. But most times he is quiet, and when he wants me to do things he sends me a mail or tells a colleague to give me the message.

Please help, how best can I relate to this guy?
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by Seun(m): 4:26pm On Jul 10, 2005
Hello buddy,

It appears that your boss is simply uncomfortable with the situation. His appearing busy when you try to talk to him at times is simply an act to mask his unease; I behave like that sometimes.

I have two questions for you:
- What kind of senior were you to him in Secondary School?
- Is there a way you can get yourself transferred to another department in the company?

Wishing you the best.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by jogego(m): 4:32pm On Jul 10, 2005
Okay after secondary school, what kinda qualifications do you have, vis a vis his own qualifications?
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by buddy(m): 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2005
well

-I didnt really know him in school, a former member of my unit was the one that recorgnised me, he was my bosses classmate.

-I cant move till i have done at least six months, and i like my job here.

Jogego
-I guess he has a Bsc just like me, but he has had more experience on the job.

maybe i am just overeacting.... :/
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by jogego(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2005
well, if he has more expereience on the job, then I dont see anything gra gra about it all. In anycase, like the elders say, no condition is permanent. Since you were not outrightly cruel to him in school, I dont think there is any problem per se. In any case, thats why its good to be good in all we do.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by kazey(m): 4:55pm On Jul 10, 2005
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with having someone junior be the Boss. The situation i see here, is your boss does not feel comfortable about the reality.

Maybe treat him more as a friend and try to be close with him, Lunch together might be great. That might ease him a bit.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by buddy(m): 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2005
Thanks guys.

I dont have a problem with him being the boss o, i just wish he could be more approachable.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by Greatpeter(m): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2005
I think you can do better by getting close to him. I believe you will discover more few things and you can use that to your advantage.

I mean by trying to open up a discussion with him, understudy him and approach him when he's in his best mood. I think by that both of you will get used to each other.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by c0dec(m): 2:30pm On Jul 11, 2005
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by effects8000(m): 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2005
buddy, grin nawah o you dey suffer grin
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by Angelgal(f): 9:17am On Jul 12, 2005
Buddy I think your boss like everyone said is uncomfortable with the situation. I think you should look at it on the brighter side. At least he is not trying to show you he is oga, or is he? He's just not down with the switch I guess. Thank goodness you weren't mean to him in secondary school. The reverse may have been the case ooo...as in he may have used this opportunity to deal with you.
In the mean time just be yourself, don't grovel and don't get on your high horse either. Remember this is your livelihood! Just do what you were employed for and do it well.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by kamakula: 6:07pm On Sep 01, 2005
i know this was long ago - but this is what I think - your boss doesn't know who you are . . and really couldn't care less. The way he's acting now. . that is the way he is. It is because YOU know him that you think there is more to this.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by LondonCool(m): 11:38pm On Jan 02, 2007
It happens frequently in the UK and Western countries, at least the age aspect. When I was with HSBC bank I had 2 PG qualifications but my Boss happened to be a small 20 year old white boy with just A'levels-both of us had UK banking experience and he wasnt comfortable with the situation. I didnt mind so far as I was paid my daily bread in ££££.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by SavvyLanre: 6:25pm On Jan 06, 2007
Buddy,
This is the way business goes now - and more of this to happen,

As the last blogger commented, he had to work for a white bloke with less qualification.
In my situation, i earn more than my boss - and probably one of the youngest in the team, with more years of experience - but less qualification in terms of Degrees, but with professional qualification,  I work in the Tech arena.

I would personally say - sharpen up your people skills and look for a leverage with your boss - before you know it, he would be the one recommending you for a promotion.
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by spoilt(f): 10:37pm On Mar 24, 2007
akward as hell. undecided
but be professional and friendly. dont know how it is in naija now but here we are on first name basis with our bosses and we even go drinking on friday night together. but if you maltreated him in secondary school, bros na payback time be that! grin
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by Mojir(f): 2:16pm On Oct 03, 2007
Sorry just came along this post now.

Buddy I think your boss like everyone said is uncomfortable with the situation as someone earlier wrote.

I happen to be a victim of such circumstance. My own boss is just having a B.Sc and I have my M.Sc (and even had my B.Sc 2 years earlier than his) we are both in the same field. He sometimes behaves in a such a funny manner too.

All I do is just overlook things and realise the reason why I am there- foremost to gather experience and maybe have a livelihood; as the pay is not even much to write about.

So please just humble yourself and know that no condition is permanent.

Cheers!
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by Mojir(f): 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2007
Sorry just came across this post now.

Buddy I think your boss like everyone said is uncomfortable with the situation as someone earlier wrote.

I happen to be a victim of such circumstance. My own boss is just having a B.Sc and I have my M.Sc (and even had my B.Sc 2 years earlier than his) we are both in the same field. He sometimes behaves in a such a funny manner too.

All I do is just overlook things and realise the reason why I am there- foremost to gather experience and maybe have a livelihood; as the pay is not even much to write about.

So please just humble yourself and know that no condition is permanent.

Cheers!
Re: My New Boss Was My Junior in Secondary School by teddy5(f): 6:27pm On Oct 31, 2007
I find myself in the same position; i have more qualification, older but he has more exposure due to his cnsultancy background. Initially we were close but later discovered that he had a condescending atitude and only to find out that i am older than him while he tries to potray himself as older than his age. time to time i get irritated and may snap which is not good but it does need getting used to. Apart from the fact that he tries to make u look like u r not working i try sometimes to put him in check in nice subtle ways. u may say that I dont love my job, i do but what can u do. angry

(1) (Reply)

What Is Pz Salary Structure Like? / What Is M.ba All About / Fsb/nitda Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.