Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,705 members, 7,813,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 (26097 Views)

Champions League Round Of 16 Qualifiers, Records (Photo) / AFCON 2019: Algeria Beats Senegal To Qualify For Round Of Sixteen / Nigeria Vs Guinea: 5 Things We Learnt As Super Eagles Qualify For Round Of 16 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by jattopeter(m): 9:43am On Jan 25
But bro , it still like a set up, they qualified to face Senegal.
dominique:

They picked the final best loser slot last night when Zambia and Tanzania could not win their final matches. 4 3rd place teams out of the six groups get to qualify to the next round based on their performance on the table. You need to see the way their fans were rejoicing at the stadium when the last 2 group stage matches ended with a loss and a draw to the teams that were biggest threats to them
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Fira09(m): 9:50am On Jan 25
egojeny1:
Nigeria vs Cameroon, wahala dey. We go survive am so?
Happy for Ivorians though
We are winning the game.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by BABANGBALI: 9:51am On Jan 25
What is Nigeria doing in that list?

1 Like

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by cremedelacreme: 9:52am On Jan 25
sweetjohn:
To me “best loser” slot should be highly disadvantaged in the round of 16. The match should be very heard on them, and their opponent who qualified normally as 1st and 2nd in their group favored. Bc it will be very unfair for a so called “best loser” to win those teams that qualified normally. If they must win round 16, then let it be that they really deserved it. So I propsosed that the ref officiating a match btw a normal qualified teams vs best losers to award an easy penalty to the normal qualified teams against the best losers. Secondly, any slight mistake from the best losers should not be overlooked. They should be bathed with enough cards at any slight opportunity. This way, no team will want to qualify under best losers. On a normal circumstances best losers are teams eliminated, just that in other to complete the round of 16 teams, they were considered in that regard teams that qualified normally should be given upper hand. That’s my take.

werey grin grin grin
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Angelfrost(m): 9:57am On Jan 25
Sigh... North Africa! After all the hype.

May the best team triumph.

Best Afcon tournament in a very long while... Glad to see improvements in African football.

May this translate to the world stage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by KosiGee(m): 10:00am On Jan 25
GanagiBitrus:

Survived to face Senegal. 😂

This year’s AFCON has been full of shocks and surprises so don’t rule the Ivorians out.

Who would believe that Tunisia and Algeria would not just be eliminated but come bottom of their groups?
Who would believe that Cape Verde and Equatorial Guinea would emerge as group leaders? Who would believe that Equatorial Guinea would cause Nigeria massive scare or even massacre host nation Ivory Coast by handing them one of their worst defeats without even conceding a goal?

Who would believe that Emilio Nsue who’s playing not even in the Segunda División but Primera Federación the third tier of Spanish football would be the leading goal scorer and with a hat trick’ against Guinea Bissau and a brace against the host nation?

Who would believe that Ghana at 2-0 up and at the 90th min would draw against Mozambique?

Senegal is good but at this moment, I won’t be surprised if Mauritania or Namibia wins the trophy.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Angelfrost(m): 10:00am On Jan 25
iwaeda:
Host will still play Sadio boys. Senegal 8-0 Ivory Coasts. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Doesn't always work like that o.

Shockers are waiting in this tournament.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Angelfrost(m): 10:02am On Jan 25
Kilometres:

The halves that have won it before are also playing each other. Another half will be eliminated

It might just be the turn of the underdogs.

That would be great to see.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Angelfrost(m): 10:04am On Jan 25
asiga:

Senegal to beat Ivory Coast, sure game.

No game is really sure in this competition tbh.

Senegal might have a day off, or get a red card...! Or Cote'divoire might truly wake (they have a star team).
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Adakintroy: 10:06am On Jan 25
We need to stop the abuse of Cote de voir. They are the host country for Christ sake.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by beautyhd: 10:12am On Jan 25
imoh4king:
Make una forgive my ignorance oh.

Is Guinea Bissau different from Guinea? becos i thought that only 3 countries qualified in our group i.e we, Ivory Coast and Equitorial Guinea . I saw Guinea on thaf list.

There is Equitorial Guinea, Guinea Bissau and Guinea. All three countries came for this Afcon competition.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Zonefree(m): 10:12am On Jan 25
ukaface:
I won’t be able to bear the shame if Nigeria no win Cameroon
Why?

You work with Cameroonians?

2 Likes

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by seunayantokun(m): 10:13am On Jan 25
Ivory Coast go smell pepper. Them don wund before but now na to kpai remain.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by asiga(m): 10:17am On Jan 25
Angelfrost:

No game is really sure in this competition tbh.

Senegal might have a day off, or get a red card...! Or Cote'divoire might truly wake (they have a star team).

Bro, take Senegal to win. You fit use the bet slip before the game ends to go buy anything you like if the people selling knows the worth of what you carry🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Princezibk: 10:22am On Jan 25
sweetjohn:
To me “best loser” slot should be highly disadvantaged in the round of 16. The match should be very heard on them, and their opponent who qualified normally as 1st and 2nd in their group favored. Bc it will be very unfair for a so called “best loser” to win those teams that qualified normally. If they must win round 16, then let it be that they really deserved it. So I propsosed that the ref officiating a match btw a normal qualified teams vs best losers to award an easy penalty to the normal qualified teams against the best losers. Secondly, any slight mistake from the best losers should not be overlooked. They should be bathed with enough cards at any slight opportunity. This way, no team will want to qualify under best losers. On a normal circumstances best losers are teams eliminated, just that in other to complete the round of 16 teams, they were considered in that regard teams that qualified normally should be given upper hand. That’s my take.
Very annoying!!! Best looser my foot 🦶,,, I hope Senegal 🇸🇳 will dismantle, dissect and dehumanize them without mercy .

Make shame catch that loud mouth YAYA TOURE 🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by BJanta: 10:22am On Jan 25
[quote author=Emperormartin post=128112083]I'm not an ivorian but I'm happy they survived [/quo

Survived to die correct death 👏.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by seunayantokun(m): 10:22am On Jan 25
West Africa is the strongest football region in Africa. It is presenting 7 teams for the round of 16. North Africa has 3, central Africa has 3, and southern Africa has 3. East Africa no even show face for this level. Na wa o.

3 Likes

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by hardbody: 10:25am On Jan 25
sweetjohn:

Your take is inconsequential and of no value, sorry boss. This is the game of football, even those already eliminated could have a good day against today's survivors and take them to the cleaners. That is why football is not predictable.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by DeeGov123(m): 10:27am On Jan 25
Pls how did they draw out the round of 16, before it used to be quarter final after group stages, how did they get the remaining 8 countries to join them. Can someone reply ASAP
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by zoezoelogistics(m): 10:34am On Jan 25
elinaxy:
I thought ivory coast are out of the competition? somebody enlighten me biko

No, they are not out.
They made it on the ground of being one of the best-3rd placed teams.
Ghana would have made it too if they had won their last match.
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Topman7: 10:37am On Jan 25
Nigeria is winning this cup.

Many will be shocked at how it will all pan out.

That team is very difficult to beat, with the Mourinho-esque system they play.

They are using the famous Fanny Amun formula of “ wombling and fumbling to the final”.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Duru009(m): 10:41am On Jan 25
IVORY COAST will beat Senegal...….

who is ready to bet #50K

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by WithX(m): 10:43am On Jan 25
DeeGov123:
Pls how did they draw out the round of 16, before it used to be quarter final after group stages, how did they get the remaining 8 countries to join them. Can someone reply ASAP

Before, it used to be 16 teams (4groups) such that only the first and second from each group qualify for the quarter finals (8 teams).

However, this changed since last Afcon. 24teams now qualify to play in the qualification stage, the top two teams from each group qualifies automatically given 12teams then the remaining 4teams that make up the round of 16 stage are selected from the best third placed teams based on their performance (first by points and then by goal differences) in the group stage.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Topman7: 10:47am On Jan 25
Duru009:
IVORY COAST will beat Senegal...….

who is ready to bet #50K

I’m tired of seeing that Senegal of a team.

Since they allowed England to flog them 3-0 at the World Cup, I just look at them somehow.

Their own gragra is only in Africa.

Make them go rest abeg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by MrBONE2(m): 10:50am On Jan 25
post=128115154:
CHAMPIONS 🏆 🥇 🏅 🏆

Senegal 🇸🇳
Nigeria 🇳🇬
Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶
Egypt 🇪🇬
Cape Verde ...... in that particular order.

But as the number one patriotic Nigerian(s) @dem MANNA.
We say the Trophy is ours

Let's just remain patriotic Rolly.
God help Nigeria 🇳🇬 🙏

Ooooooh damn Mannaaa grin

How dare you underrate South Africa cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by femi4: 10:55am On Jan 25
iwaeda:
16 Qualifiers for round of 16 AFCON 2023:

Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶
Nigeria 🇳🇬
Cape Verde 🇨🇻
Egypt 🇪🇬
Senegal 🇸🇳
Cameroon 🇨🇲
Angola 🇦🇴
Burkina Faso 🇧🇫
Mali 🇲🇱
South Africa 🇿🇦
Morocco 🇲🇦
DR Congo 🇨🇩
Guinea 🇬🇳
Mauritania 🇲🇷
Namibia 🇳🇦
Cote d'Ivoire 🇨🇮
Viva West Africa...8 teams, that's 50% of the teams that qualified .

North Africa: 2 (Egypt, Morocco)

Central Africa: 3 (Cameroon, DR Congo, EQG)

Southern Africa: 3 (SA, Namibia, Angola)

East Africa: no representative

The cup is staying in the region West Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by geoworldedu: 11:00am On Jan 25
Those that will go through to 2nd Round
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by geoworldedu: 11:03am On Jan 25
List of countries that will make it to the Quarter Final on a normal day:

Nigeria
Angola
Cape Verde
Morocco
Mali
Senegal
Egypt
E. Guinea

1 Like

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Paracetamol01: 11:16am On Jan 25
Go Eagles

1 Like

Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by midehi2(f): 11:22am On Jan 25
Super Eagles sha should avoid that green jersey, is bad luck
Re: 16 Qualifiers For Round Of 16 AFCON 2023 by Nazgul: 11:24am On Jan 25
elinaxy:
I thought ivory coast are out of the competition? somebody enlighten me biko
They qualified as best looser.

4 best looser qualified and 2 didn't. Last night Zambia needed a draw against Morocco to go through.

A draw would have put them on 3 points with 0 goal difference.

Ivory coast would have been on 3 points with -3 goal difference.

So Zambia would have qualified. But Zambia lost to Morocco, and remained on 2 points. While ivory coast who already had 3 points went through.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves / Oscar Pistorius Found Guilty Of Manslaughter / Football Fans Who Broke Referee's Head After Match In Bauchi Arrested. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.