Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate (5040 Views)

Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out / A Thread For Nigerian Cloud Engineers - Prospective And Practising / Creating A Future For Nigerian Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by sweetpawn1: 9:34am On Nov 07, 2011
A final year student of Electronics and computer engineering at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri has developed a
software geared towards reducing infant mortality in developing countries. The App which he calls the i propose(i-Solutions), detects pathologies in newly born babies from the cry sound they produce using neural networks.

He has enrolled in an innovative competition organized by an international body CRDF for Asia, middle east and Africa. The name of the competition is Global Innovation Through Science and Technology (GISTech). Contestants are to create a 2 minute video presentation of how they can solve a world problem using Sci and Tech.

The thing is that all competition entries (videos) are to be voted for by public on you tube and only those with the highest votes qualify to the next round.

I watched the video and I was once again proud to be a Nigerian! Let's vote for this Lad! He's our very own representing 9ja on the Global Stage! For once let's be renowned for something good other than 419!

Vote for him here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 3:29pm On Nov 07, 2011
Thank you sweet-pawn for helping me start this thread.

Though I have just 36 votes presently and will need nearly 1000 to qualify (because the Egyptians in the competition are quite overwhelming), I believe that as soon as it gets to the home page nairalanders will make 1000 seem like a small thing and vote for me overwhelmingly too.

I just hope it gets there soon enough.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 3:38pm On Nov 07, 2011
Friends, vote for i-Solutions, for upliftment of our motherland, Nigeria!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Salmoneus(m): 11:46pm On Nov 07, 2011
Vote where?
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 11:50pm On Nov 07, 2011
@Salmoneus
This is the link to the YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o . Please vote by clicking on the "Like" button. Thanks.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 08, 2011
This kinda stuff should go to other blocks. The doctors on the board will be interested in voting too.
IN fact, this should be on the frontpage self.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by yommysomguy(m): 1:43am On Nov 08, 2011
Already voted
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by sweetpawn1: 1:53am On Nov 08, 2011
Woulda said you should post a similar thread on the health section but u might be banned. Dont worry Tryxo even if u dont make front page,u will get your votes. Naija no go carry last!
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 4:55am On Nov 08, 2011
well, okay. My vote count has increased to 51 but still a long way to go. I'll stay hopeful on Seun and the moderator(s).
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by bakenda(m): 6:46am On Nov 08, 2011
I think it's a good idea to put this on the front page.

Ive voted and shared it on my FB profile.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 7:22am On Nov 08, 2011
Thank you! Bakenda.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by agabaI23(m): 10:33am On Nov 08, 2011
voted
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by bomly(f): 11:10am On Nov 08, 2011
Tryxo this is a very good work and I wish you luck. just for the purpose of learning can you explain this software of yours?
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by member479760: 11:43am On Nov 08, 2011
if you vote for incredible stuff just because they are Nigeria then you will live to regret. don't joke with human being life, think about yourself that what they are doing can affect your life, your relative and friend.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by executinal(m): 11:45am On Nov 08, 2011
Voted, you will make it,
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2011
Wow! When I saw 75 votes, I knew this thread had gotten to the home page. Thank you Seun/Moderator.

@bomly.
This work arose from extensive medical research that shows that infants especially at the early stage of birth primarily communicate through the cry sounds they produce. Thus most conditions or pathologies in newly born infants such as asphyxia, hearing difficulties usually reflect in the cry which is essentially sound waves.
Thus, from the IT perspective, the wave patterns unique to a particular condition can be studied and learnt using a pattern classification model. This learning process then makes it possible to be able to identify babies whose cry wave patterns matches any of the 'learnt' ones.

It is possible to do this pattern classification models such as support vector machine(svm), connectionist models(neural networks) or even Genetic programming as some have proposed.

I am using Artificial Neural Networks with MATLAB for the initial stage of the work.
My final goal is to launch the App on a mobile platform, preferably Android.
I hope I was able to summarise it well enough.

Keep the votes coming guyz.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by slap1(m): 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2011
nakedall:

if you vote for incredible stuff just because they are Nigeria then you will live to regret. don't joke with human being life, think about yourself that what they are doing can affect your life, your relative and friend.
I don't understand your post, man.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by agabaI23(m): 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2011
nakedall:

I guess you are missing something here. Should there be a 'not' somewhere?

In short, what do you mean?
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by juman(m): 12:30pm On Nov 08, 2011
Voted
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by agabaI23(m): 12:34pm On Nov 08, 2011
If 'juman' don vote, then everybody go vote tongue
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by yommysomguy(m): 3:31pm On Nov 08, 2011
agabaI23:

If 'juman' don vote, then everybody go vote tongue
lol, Is juman jesus?
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by sheyguy: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2011
@poster
NLders dont respond easily to such, they will rather prefer to know where u from and if u giye the right impression they will gladly follow u.
I will do my own part while @ the same time wishing u the best.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by nolongTing: 5:20pm On Nov 08, 2011
Tryxo:

@Salmoneus
This is the link to the YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o . Please vote by clicking on the "Like" button. Thanks.

I am proud of you, mobile medical apps for smartphones are a new growth area and will be more useful in a country like nigeria where the medical facilities need much improvement.

Anyway, I just voted for you on Youtube - but your music is well, I could not hear you clearly with all that opera music sha grin grin Goodluck!
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by VoodooDoll(m): 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2011
Voted, and will tweet it, good luck
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by untainted: 6:07pm On Nov 08, 2011
Voted too. all the best
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Kc3000: 6:09pm On Nov 08, 2011
Well done Tryxo!!!! Voted already.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by infolib: 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
Always glad when i see Nigeria youths excelling. Do not worry. U'll get to the peak.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by bros12345: 7:56pm On Nov 08, 2011
voted, voted, voted. Great job man
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by toluxa1(m): 9:07pm On Nov 08, 2011
I have voted. What if people vote multiple times?
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by toluxa1(m): 9:09pm On Nov 08, 2011
Post this on other Nigerian fora too or even international ICT related fora.
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by chima2011: 10:56pm On Nov 08, 2011
I'm proud of any Nigerian doing incredible stuff. I always know that with the right training, we would be standing the very best around the world, already voted
Re: Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate by Tryxo(m): 11:00pm On Nov 08, 2011
@toluxal. it only permits one "Like" per google account.
I thank you all for Liking and sharing my entry.

(1) (2) (Reply)

VR (virtual Reality) Developer / Who Is The Best Programmer In Nairaland? / How To Send SMS Using Asp.net/vb.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.