Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,196 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window (19793 Views)

Naira Falls At Parallel Market, Appreciates In Official Window / Naira Trades At ₦1,730/$ At Parallel Market / Naira Continues Free Fall On Official Window, Trades N1482.57/$ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by PrettyIfy7: 9:02am On Jan 26
Datedoboy:
I said it on this forum last year On Sep 26, 2023

I had mentioned it in my previous post that it will get to NGN1,000 per Usd if drastic measures are not taken.

Again, I am saying it here that it will get to 2,000 before 2025 if we don't take these drastic measures.

These measures will make the Naira appreciate to at most NGN500 to a dollar in the short term and in the long term, NGN100

What are these measures? I will explain further but note that this is not about Exports.
Even if we export more than China today, the NGN will still decline further. How do i know this?

If you do your research, you will discover that Nigeria as at 2023, exported and earned more FX more than several countries and yet the currencies of these countries are stronger than the Naira.

So don't let anyone sell the idea that our economy is import dependent that is why our currency is falling. Even if we ban all imports and continue with (or increase) our current export, the Naira won't appreciate

A simple question you can answer is, when we banned rice importation, did our currency stop falling? No !!! So sit back as we take a dive to 4 policies which WILL make the Naira appreciate.

1. All domiciliary accounts must be closed.
Can a Canadian or US bank open Naira account for you? No! So why do we open Dom. Accounts for our citizens ? Now you may say what of imports? How do we pay for our goods in foreign currencies?

The answer is simple. Credit your account in Naira while your bank pays the USD or GBP equivalent on your behalf at official rate determined by CBN

2. Ban deposits and withdrawals in foreign currencies and convert all inflows including export proceeds in foreign currencies to Naira (again at official rate determined by CBN).

You don't need to stop people who sell at black market or hoard the USD. Let those who hoard the dollar keep it but once they know that after a said date, you can't deposit or hold your physical dollar, they will be forced to go to the bank to deposit it. Anyone found with physical hard currencies after the deadline, must be arrested

This policy alone will make the NGN appreciate to maximum of NGN600 after first two weeks of implementation and will mop up hidden/excess dollar in the system.

This policy will also discourage buying usd from the black market because there won't be any physical dollar to buy.

3. Increase interest rate for fixed Naira deposits to a minimum of 10%. This will encourage saving in Nigeria. Let a Naira 4 Naira scheme, replace the previous Naira 4 dollar scheme.

4. Reduce interest rates on fixed foreign currency deposits to 1% of principal amount if option 1 is not possible and convert all inflows to NGN without the option of collecting foreign currencies at the counter. You can't spend USD or GBP in Nigeria so why do you want to collect your inflows in foreign currencies? Then you increase Naira fixed deposit rate to 15%
This policy indirectly stops the black market arbitrage.

As the Government has floated the Naira, if these measures are not put in place, NGN2,000 to a dollar won't be surprising to me.

I am just a concerned Nigerian and i am open to constructive criticism.

You have said it all.
I wish I can give 1k likes to this comment.
Our problem is not importation rather, stashing of foreign currencies by politicians and some other Nigerians.
That's the effect of corruption.
If the govt can implement what you listed, the value of naira will increase.
But the corrupt politicians and leaders will never implement such policies.

And some brainless and hopeless people who support the evil govt will continue to blame we the obidients, claiming that we don't wish the country good.
Why will I wish my country bad when I'm still in the same country?
As a level 13 federal worker I can't even save much not to talk of buying a new car.
To buy ordinary Corolla will take 2-3 years of saving my salary without taking a dime out of it.
People will open their eyes to support terrible politicians and then turn back to blame the opposition. Very stupid of them.

I wish Tinubu will have the got to divide this country since he once said he didn't believe in one Nigeria.
Let every region govern themselves and develop at their pace.
God help this country.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Oscarchims: 9:04am On Jan 26
kossyablaze:
people like me... I don fund my naira account tire😎
Men wey dey earn in dollar una dey faaji I swear
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Angelfrost(m): 9:12am On Jan 26
cucumbar:
How come some of you fail to understand that your believe/unbelive/wishes don’t have an effect on the outcome of governance?

If the people in power do the right thing the country will progress, if they don’t , the country will fail.

You should hold the government accountable instead of gaslighting people based on what they believe don’t believe.

Well, I have gaslit no one, Sir.

I have merely pointed out a clearly observable fact. I didn't even criticize anyone.

Additionally, I never placed a single premium on wishes or desires, especially where they have no direct impact on governance.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by micxwell(m): 9:16am On Jan 26
socialmediaman:
This was my analysis 3 months ago:

@ Originalsly
Good analysis bro. Do you think there'll be another temporary cushioning of FX like there was in Nov/Dec soon?

Also, what do you think an average Nigerian should do to keep the value of their savings intact?
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Akpan107(m): 9:23am On Jan 26
Zeebuy:

The naira will eventually settle between 1600 to 1700 on the parallel market.
It's a pity people are supporting a man who doesn't know the importance of statistics
It's not a prophecy, but dollar will probably exchange for 2,000 Naira before the Year ends.

Some people are so committed and desperate to see Nigeria collapsed completely because of their bigotry, selfishness and love for political power.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Angelfrost(m): 9:23am On Jan 26
Datedoboy:
I said it on this forum last year On Sep 26, 2023

As the Government has floated the Naira, if these measures are not put in place, NGN2,000 to a dollar won't be surprising to me.

I am just a concerned Nigerian and i am open to constructive criticism.

This is impressive, lengthy, yet shockingly lacking.

You ended up being thrifty with the real truth (or maybe you don't know it).

Check the 70s and 80s... Why was the Naira stronger then??! Answer: Low importation compared to high levels of exported commodities.

Today, you literally import everything, and you pay in Dollars! Your demand for the Dollars is astronomical!

This has nothing to do with Dom accounts or people saving in Dollars... That's a secondary symptom of the main ailment.

Create a strong demand for the Naira by drastically cutting down on importation, starting with the main culprit "Fuel", and watch the Naira massively appreciate.

With the appreciation of the Naira, people will save more in Naira and no longer see the need to hold on to foreign currencies.

So please, quit going after symptoms or easy targets instead of curing the disease! Lead and the masses will follow!...

Dom accounts didn't crash the Naira... The crashing of the Naira gave rise to an increasing need to save in Dollars.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Angelfrost(m): 9:33am On Jan 26
seguno2:

Unfortunately all your suggestions fail to address the FUNDAMENTAL issue of us eating/importing more than we produce, and will make matters worse if implemented as dollars will become more scarce and the exchange rate worsen, with an even greater gap between official and UNDERGROUND parallel market.

Do you know of any prosperous country that is doing communist clampdown of free enterprise and private sector investment, which is essentially what you are suggesting? North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela

The guy actually made me laugh... Like, he legit sat down and came up with such an 'over-simplistic' approach to years of poor economic policies. Lol!

It's always easy to go after the same masses for trying to improve their lives in the midst of failed leadership rather than addressing the failure at root of it all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by JessicaRabbit(f): 9:33am On Jan 26
LEARNPYTHON:

Hmm
The multifacetedness of the problem as well as the complexity of the possible solutions (as you have highlighted) makes me fear if we will ever get it right.
I also fear that even if we do our possible best to increase the value of the naira, the US government will do likewise to their dollar. And since the US has far greater power to influence the international market/economy than we do, then it seems hopeless that the naira will ever gain significantly against the dollar 😢

We don't have to reinvent the wheel. Many countries have faced similar challenges and implemented successful reforms. Brazil grappled with hyperinflation and currency instability in the 1990s. They implemented the "Real Plan," which stabilized the currency through a combination of fiscal discipline, a new currency peg, and increased interest rates. While not without its drawbacks, the Real Plan significantly reduced inflation and paved the way for economic growth. Studying their experiences and adapting them to our context can provide valuable insights. Yes, the US dollar's global dominance presents a challenge. But remember that currencies fluctuate over time. While significant appreciation against the dollar may be unlikely in the short term, focusing solely on that comparison might be misleading. A stronger, more stable naira against other currencies is equally important for the economy.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Yankee101: 9:41am On Jan 26
1500 loading
It’s unfortunate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by seguno2: 9:51am On Jan 26
Datedoboy:

Check Wikipedia list of countries with by net Exports. You will be surprised nigeria had positive values in 2022 when other countries had negative values(meaning that we got more fx from exports than imports) yet those countries with negative values still have stronger currencies than us and our Naira was still falling.

This madness of making Nigerians believe we import more, has to stop. The current CBN governor even said Naira is undervalued. Something I've known since. The man knows what he meant but sadly the rate will keep dropping

If there is any truth to your claim, why don’t you just share the data and the Wikipedia link?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by seguno2: 9:53am On Jan 26
esutstar:
[Some of our African neighbors don't really produce 30% of their usables, they solely depend in importation just like Nigeria yet their economy is very stable and strong..eg (zambia,gambia,ghana)

Are Zambians, Gambians and Ghanaians also loudmouth spendthrifts like us

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Procashtips(m): 9:54am On Jan 26
Most of the monies I made under Buhari's government, Tinubu's government is trying to wipe them off.

From ₦447 this time last year to almost ₦1,000 is a mystery! (Both official rates)

Unofficial rate = ₦594 (Jan 2023) to ₦1415 (Jan 2024)

Imagine having a worth of ₦100m in Jan 2023, what do you think you're now worth?
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by chidooh1: 9:54am On Jan 26
The city boy that singlehandedly built one state like that doesn't want to build a country he captured again
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Excelll: 10:19am On Jan 26
Validated:
This is the result of:
- the disastrous change that Tinubu and Buhari brought to Nigeria.
- monumental next level of failure that Osinbajo and Buhari incubated
- and the tribulation of renewed hopelessness from Tinubu
.. allwell, next time gullibility and tribalism will no longer becloud our judgment. When a man said #emilokan, we will ask,"lokan to where exactly?"

Let them loud the hunger with hyperinflation, na them go still suffer-am. Soon, many will start eating 0-0-1 per day.

They haven't seen anything yet. Infact, plenty of them have started the 0-0-1 ratio.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by tnerro1(m): 10:24am On Jan 26
Oya quick borrow more dollars, we need to stabilize this sick naira 😁😁😁

Mr patch patch CV

Tell the government to provide enabling environment for businesses to trive.

Security
Power
Single tax rate
Infrastructure
Appropriate minimum wage
Health facilities etc

And watch Nigerians surprise you with their industrious abilities

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by chidiokay: 10:26am On Jan 26
Validated:
This is the result of:
- the disastrous change that Tinubu and Buhari brought to Nigeria.
- monumental next level of failure that Osinbajo and Buhari incubated
- and the tribulation of renewed hopelessness from Tinubu
.. allwell, next time gullibility and tribalism will no longer becloud our judgment. When a man said #emilokan, we will ask,"lokan to where exactly?"

Let them loud the hunger with hyperinflation, na them go still suffer-am. Soon, many will start eating 0-0-1 per day.

If wailing and nagging is all you have to contribute how does that change anything .. even if you have a tree of money in your backyard with the present economic hardship, do you know how many people around you go dey bomb you "urgent 2k" billings

Since the govt are acting clueless & brainless .. its time we start drumming solutions into there hears till they hear us
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Adolfnigeria: 10:30am On Jan 26
oh boi, when i left naija 1usd equal 1000NGN -nov 2023. now it 1400... Tinubu has just started work. I voted Obi last election. But in another election nah Tinubu we go vote. Let him finish what he started... lol . Nigeria cesspool of tribalism, neptosm and corruption. Well done.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by chidiokay: 10:31am On Jan 26
crossfm:
Hehehe.

The master strategist has done it again. The one who built Dubai, south Korea and Lagos has done it. tongue

As I write ,he has gone to France to bring in the magic. Once he is back 1 naira will be equal to 1 dollar grin tongue.

How people can trust someone who said he will continue in Buhari's footsteps is what baffles me. Like seriously, taking after Buhari,that should have been the number one red flag grin.

His first move was to start shouting, subsidy is gone, subsidy is gone without any measure to cushion the effect of such action.

As if that wasn't bad enough,he went ahead to float the naira,like seriously,who carry out decisions of this magnitude in quick succession.

Mumu 90% of things politicians say or promise to do before election as always turned out to be a lie, Buhari is an APC member and predecessor to Tinubu, what would you have BAT say,
should Tinubu bad mouth or condemn Buhari adminstration how is that good for the APC image, una no they think at all
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by chidiokay: 10:42am On Jan 26
Mandem2:

I think what people are saying is that the government policies so far has no benefit to the common people and this is what most of them expected. I don't think anyone is praying for the government to fail. If the government fails then Nigeria fails and I believe nobody in Nigeria wants that to be the case.

Maybe you have spoken for yourself, as wierd as it might sound some people are praying Tinubu administration never succeed Just so they can say "We Warned them" or "We told them"

The best policies requires an receptive & enabling environment, there are to much saboteurs in the system/environment, part of those that creat the pencil are the ones selling eraser
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by adaperry25: 10:53am On Jan 26
oliverwrites:
I really don't understand you people that wish the country bad. What makes it worse is that 90% of you people earn in Nigeria. I earn in dollar, when there is inflation, my dollar gives me an edge or at worse cancels things out for me ( my buying power doesn't diminish ) but most of you people wishing hell on Nigeria earn in naira. Almost like putting fire to your one and only house with no escape route.

Quiet senseless if you ask me.
so our wishing good will make the dollar drop to 500.

You see something wrong and ignore?
Same tribe
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by sunnyprof: 10:53am On Jan 26
Nigeria is exactly where it is supposed to be!!

You have no production, even the so called oil is only sold as a raw material, no value added process to earn anything more.

And yet we expect to live big as if we are king of consumption

What do you expect? an economy without support and foundation

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by ObalendeCMS: 12:02pm On Jan 26
cucumbar:
Zombie. Why didn’t you vote Peter obi and see if he would have done things differently?

You don’t have anything sensible to say now your lord and savior has destroyed the country.

Call out the person you voted for that is now the president to repair what he damaged, you poverty stricken bastard.

I didn't vote anyone because I know that all politicians are crooks, including your lord & personal savior peter obi.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by NeeKlaus: 2:01pm On Jan 26
oliverwrites:
I really don't understand you people that wish the country bad. What makes it worse is that 90% of you people earn in Nigeria. I earn in dollar, when there is inflation, my dollar gives me an edge or at worse cancels things out for me ( my buying power doesn't diminish ) but most of you people wishing hell on Nigeria earn in naira. Almost like putting fire to your one and only house with no escape route.

Quiet senseless if you ask me.
This shameful emotional manipulation does not work anymore!

Nobody is wishing bad on Nigeria.
We are simply telling you all what we were saying BEFORE Tinubu came into power: He Has Nothing to Offer Nigeria!

That is the honest truth.

No amount of gaslighting from you or people who are loyal to him will work.

Tinubu doesn't know what to do and he doesn't care. All he cares about is the title of "President" and if you disagree with this, then your myopia might be worse than I thought.

Look at the appointments he has been making. Look at the Ministers in his Cabinet - majority of them have embezzlement scandals either in the past or still pending.

Does that sound to you like someone who actually wants to turn Nigeria around?

So tell me, who wishes Nigeria bad: Nigerians that know the corrupt nature of Tinubu and his men OR the corrupt, old Tinubu himself? undecided

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by NeeKlaus: 2:03pm On Jan 26
ObalendeCMS:

I didn't vote anyone because I know that all politicians are crooks, including your lord & personal savior peter obi.
If Obi is a crook, how come the EFCC is yet to launch a manhunt against him since 2013 when he left office?

How many years will it take them to finally find some dirt on the supposed "crook" to nail him with?

Answer me honestly and I will take it.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by cmikel: 3:46pm On Jan 26

WHEN SOMEBODY WAS GIVING THEM REAL ECONOMIC DATA AND HOW TO MANAGE ECONOMY

THEM SAY NA STATISTICS WE GO CHOP?

OYA NA...

PEOPLE WHO COLLECTED THE MAIN MONEY BAG TO VOTE ARE ENJOYING DESPITE NAIRA CONTINUAL CRASH

WHILE THE OTHER POOR MASSES BLINDED WITH TRIBAL POLITICAL WARFARE ARE THE ONCE FEELING IT , BUYING FOOD STUFF AT INCREASING PRICE EVERY DAY BY DAY .

TRIBALISM IS THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH YOUR COUNTRY.

LEAVE IT OR YOU TAKE IT.

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Growing(m): 4:58pm On Jan 26
This is what printing money and failure to diversify economy is causing us.

God help us.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by wiseoneking: 5:13pm On Jan 26
oliverwrites:

Quite senseless if you ask me.
Yes, the evil government must not survive. The people have to see the implication of voting a criminal or because of tribe or religion.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by XploraBen(m): 5:35pm On Jan 26
oliverwrites:
WOW, I am impressed. My first instinct was to argue with you, fortunately, I held back and read my own sentence again and you were spot on.

Thanks man.

P:S: If you need a route job as a proofreader/editor with as much as 200k per month and flexible work hours, please contact me.
Please I want to send you a pm concerning the bolded.
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by damosade(m): 5:36pm On Jan 26
oliverwrites:
And if we check it well now, you earn in naira. You are praying hard that your earning power should diminish all because you hate the person who is president.

It is senseless, to be honest.

If you have a sensible thought, your mind should tell you am been sarcastic. I can't and will never hate anyone created by God but if there is any policy that is pushing pressure on Dollars against Naira and nothing was done on it by those at the helms of affairs, I think i deserve to comments on any wrong doing by your paymaster. You earn in dollars yen yen yen.. and all your family earns in dollars? Do you feel what we feel? I will now keep shut when things are getting really hard and tough abi. Dey play
Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Datedoboy: 6:50pm On Jan 26
seguno2:

If there is any truth to your claim, why don’t you just share the data and the Wikipedia link?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_exports

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Datedoboy: 7:09pm On Jan 26
PrettyIfy7:

You have said it all.
I wish I can give 1k likes to this comment.
Our problem is not importation rather, stashing of foreign currencies by politicians and some other Nigerians.
That's the effect of corruption.
If the govt can implement what you listed, the value of naira will increase.
But the corrupt politicians and leaders will never implement such policies.

And some brainless and hopeless people who support the evil govt will continue to blame we the obidients, claiming that we don't wish the country good.
Why will I wish my country bad when I'm still in the same country?
As a level 13 federal worker I can't even save much not to talk of buying a new car.
To buy ordinary Corolla will take 2-3 years of saving my salary without taking a dime out of it.
People will open their eyes to support terrible politicians and then turn back to blame the opposition. Very stupid of them.

I wish Tinubu will have the got to divide this country since he once said he didn't believe in one Nigeria.
Let every region govern themselves and develop at their pace.
God help this country.

Thank you sir for your honest review. Imagine at your level you can't buy a car with 1 year savings. It's so sad.

They are trying to create multi dimensional poverty by devaluation of the currency. They are trying to push NGN to 2000 per dollar but they will do it gradually so people don't notice.

They want to make the masses as weak as possible for maximum control but God will deliver us from their grip.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window by Konquest: 7:22pm On Jan 26
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/Naira-drops-at-parallel-market-closes-900/$-official-window
The naira fell to a record low of N1,400/$ at the parallel market on Thursday despite recent efforts by the Central Bank of Nigeria to save the national currency.

With continued dollar scarcity plaguing the country, Bureau de Change Operators confirmed to The PUNCH that the naira touched new depths in the foreign exchange market.

On the official Investor and Exporter window, the naira depreciated by 2.12 per cent to N900.96/$ from the N882.24/$ it closed on Wednesday. Transactions opened at N929.18/$, rose to a high of N1,399/$, and recorded a low of N789/$. Total FX turnover was $115.19m, a 103.52 per cent increase from the $56.60m that was recorded on Wednesday.

The national currency didn’t do better on the cryptocurrency peer-to-peer market where it rose to a high of N1,400/$ too. As of the time of filing this report, the naira was trading on Binance’s P2P platform for N1,395.8/$.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn / 7 Problems You Can't Escape As An Entrepreneur in 2019 (here's What you must do) / My Small Factory Now Makes 50,000 Bars Of Soap Every Week. See Video And Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.