Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,401 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

What Language Will My Child Speak - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Language Will My Child Speak (410 Views)

Help, My Child Is Already A GENIUS @ 3! / Help My Child Is 8 Months And Wife Is Pregnant Again / “I Dont Wear Pant, If My Child Makes Suspicious Money In Ghana I Wont Take” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Language Will My Child Speak by Philip4564(m): 8:40am On Jan 27
I'm a Yoruba guy Married to an Idoma lady and we're based in Enugu. What Language will my Child speak growing up.
NOTE. I and my wife communicate in English because we don't understand each other language we met during my NYSC days in Benue state. My wife only speak her language when she's speaking on phone with her family and friends from home and same thing with me. And Also none of us speak Igbo.

1 Like

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by ONEjoblessGUY: 8:47am On Jan 27
Philip4564:
I'm a Yoruba guy Married to an Idoma lady and we're based in Enugu. What Language will my Child speak growing up.
NOTE. I and my wife communicate in English because we don't understand each other language we met during my NYSC days in Benue state. My wife only speak her language when she's speaking on phone with her family and friends from home and same thing with me. And Also none of us speak Igbo.

Well........ speak Yoruba to your kids.....
Let their mum speak her language too......
There ain't no way those kids wouldn't pick language in their environment.........

They have great advantage if they can understand all those language.......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by ekelebeXstunner: 12:37pm On Jan 27
They will speak pidgin.
Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by jmoore(m): 1:34pm On Jan 27
Kids can learn more than 3 languages.
Your kid has an opportunity to learn Yoruba and Idoma language. You as the father should communicate with the child in Yoruba while the mother communicates with Idoma.

Enugu will teach the child Igbo language.

3 Likes

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by extremelygolden: 3:27pm On Jan 27
Your children are highly blessed, they'll end up as linguists.

If I were you, I'll make them speak all the four languages. You make sure to always communicate with them in Yoruba. Mandate your wife to always communicate with them in her language. Naturally they'll understand English and Igbo as a result of school and friends.

Isn't that wonderful?

Please don't limit them to only one language.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by MissKudoswrite(f): 3:34pm On Jan 27
U will teach them how to speak Yoruba na
Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by A305: 6:17pm On Jan 27
By social interaction in the current environment, your child is more likely to speak English and Igbo. The child will be more likely to understand Yoruba because people speak Yoruba everywhere but won't be able to learn to speak it in Enugu and he wouldn't understand Idoma at all except the little phrase the mom repeatedly speaks to him.

1 Like

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by Nazgul: 8:31pm On Jan 27
Philip4564:
Teach your wife the basics of yourba, and speak it to your kids.

So they (your kids) would understand yourba from home, and Igbo from their environment and school.
Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by Konquest: 10:59pm On Jan 27
Philip4564:
The iconic veteran movie producer, Dr. Ola Balogun was born in Aba to Yoruba parents back in the 1940s (his father was a lawyer then). So, naturally, he said he was told that the first language he started speaking was the Ibo language. This affinity to Aba led him into producing "Amadi," the FIRST ever Ibo language movie to be subtitled in the English language and the movie premiered in 1975 in Lagos State with Justice Adefarasin the then Attorney General of Lagos State and Governor Mobolaji Johnson of Lagos State in attendance.

I have used Dr. Ola Balogun as a case study to let you know that if you live in Enugu with your kids, then they will naturally speak Ibo picked from school friends and the streets.
Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by duduade: 11:25pm On Jan 27
True Nigerian Family that OP is raising

1 Like

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by keeper303: 8:38am On Jan 28
duduade:
True Nigerian Family that OP is raising

Your are children are lucky. They will speak 4 languages when they grow up just like me. I was born in Ghana to both Yoruba parents. We speak yoruba in the house so I speak yoruba. My parents had a shop where hausas where predominant, so I speak hausa. I speak Twi, an Ashanti language due to my interaction with fellow students. And of course English language. Let your wife speak Idoma language to them, and you speak yoruba to them. They will pick Igbo and English from the environment and school. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: What Language Will My Child Speak by Mindlog: 8:52am On Jan 28
You and your wife should communicate to your children in Yoruba and Idoma, they will easily pick English and Igbo outside the home.

(1) (Reply)

Bed Bugs Eradication Services / I Need Help From Serious Migraines / Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.