Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules (1449 Views)

Ronaldo Goal Ruled Out By VAR As Juventus Start Serie A Season With A Win / Samson Siasia Reacts To FIFA Ban. / NFF Reacts To FIFA Disciplinary Committee Sanction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 12:38am On Jan 28
Ajayi's goal against Cameron was actually an offside, a very correct call by VAR.

Sentiment aside!

According to FIFA rule (this FIFA rule is known by just few football fans), for a player to score a goal, [/b]there must be two opposition players behind as at the time of the final pass[b], which is usually a player and the goal keeper most times.

Many pple misunderstand the fact because a goalkeeper is always on the goal line, pple tends to forget that a goalkeeper is also an opposition player, & that is why if you have only the goalkeeper behind you before the final pass, you are ruled offside... Because a second opposition player must be behind you, plus the goalkeeper making two opposition players.

So in Ajayi's case, it was only the last player (a Cameron defender) that was behind him, making it just one opposition player before the ball got to Ajayi (reason it was ruled offside) Assuming there are two defenders behind Ajayi when the ball got to him, even when the goalkeeper is positioned exactly where he was at that point in time, the goal would have been given/stood.

This rule is known by few football fans.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by atiku4President(m): 12:46am On Jan 28
Okay. Noted
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Ajens1991: 1:19am On Jan 28
This many grammar too much. But thanks for education me.... I appreciate oo
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by MMempire(m): 5:04am On Jan 28
Thanks @OP for the explanation.
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by GanagiBitrus: 6:15am On Jan 28
OK. Noted, but why should there be such a rule? What's the essence?

If a goalkeeper jumps out like cricket & abandons his post, should an attacker be denied a goal even when there is a defender keeping him onside?

Abeg, FIFA should do away with this particular instance of offside rule. It's quite controversial & I don't see the reason for it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Bsmartt(m): 6:52am On Jan 28
You are absolutely correct @OP. The commentators also clarified it.
Football is one very interesting sport.
Congratulations to the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by OKUCHI11(m): 7:19am On Jan 28
Why dem never implement the Arsene Wenger or the new Offside rule that they made so much noise about on the Internet

1 Like

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Teejaney88(m): 7:28am On Jan 28
But the ball was NOT PASSED to him, it was a REBOUND now...

5 Likes

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Deogratiasfx: 7:30am On Jan 28
We thank God we won but in actually sense, that goal was never close to offside. The most important thing now is that we won.
I watch the replay again and again and get wondering how do u cancel a goal like that? Ajayi kick was a loss ball from the keeper and before then ur two opposition players rule were already there. Ajayi was never close to offside.

2 Likes

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 7:40am On Jan 28
GanagiBitrus:

If a goalkeeper jumps out like cricket & abandons his post, should an attacker be denied a goal even when there is a defender keeping him onside?

Abeg, FIFA should do away with this particular instance of offside rule. It's quite controversial & I don't see the reason for it.
rule is rule my brother, mind you it wasn't even controversial at all, that is if you understand & can interpret the rule correctly, the goal wasn't ruled offside because Ajayi was behind the goalkeeper as many football fans believe, it was rule offside because there is only one opposition player behind Ajayi instead of at least two, in most cases a defender (one) & the goalkeeper on the line (which is the 2nd opposition player) making two, Note: it is not necessarily goalkeeper be one of the last two opposition players, but often because of their natural role of manning the goal, so in a case where the goalkeeper stray away like that of yesterday, but still two Cameronian defenders / players behind Ajayi before the ball got to him, the goal would have stood

1 Like

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 7:48am On Jan 28
Teejaney88:
But the ball was NOT PASSED to him, it was a REBOUND now...
rebound or pass it is still very much the same, once a player is in as offside position before rebound get to him, it is still an offside.

They will check his positioning before the initial shot that rebounded to him was played, if there are at least two opposition players behind him before the initial shot, he is onside, but if it less than two before he got the rebound, it is offside

1 Like

Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Onuimo1(m): 7:49am On Jan 28
GanagiBitrus:

Exactly my argument on that incident
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 7:51am On Jan 28
Deogratiasfx:
We thank God we won but in actually sense, that goal was never close to offside. The most important thing now is that we won.
I watch the replay again and again and get wondering how do u cancel a goal like that? Ajayi kick was a loss ball from the keeper and before then ur two opposition players rule were already there. Ajayi was never close to offside.
check again to see his positioning before the initial shot that got to him, you will see that he was ahead of every opposition players except the defender on goal line
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Onuimo1(m): 7:52am On Jan 28
So I ask what happens when the last opposition player handles the ball because it's goal bound. Are you going to give a penalty?
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by GanagiBitrus: 7:55am On Jan 28
omochelsea004: rule is rule my brother, mind you it wasn't even controversial at all, that is if you understand & can interpret the rule correctly...
I perfectly understand your explanation & the interpretation of this instance of offside rule.

My point is this: Whenever a rule is made, there is a reason for it. The reason for the regular offside rule is to protect Goalkeepers' area so that opposition players don't crowd his space. But I don't think there is a good reason for this particular instance of offside rule, where a GK abandons his post.
So FIFA should do away with it.

Anyway that's my opinion even though it doesn't count.
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Onuimo1(m): 7:55am On Jan 28
omochelsea004:
rebound or pass it is still very much the same, once a player is in as offside position before rebound get to him, it is still an offside.

They will check his positioning before the initial shot that rebounded to him was played, if there are at least two opposition players behind him before the initial shot, he is onside, but if it less than two before he got the rebound, it is offside

So what if the opposing players handles the ball like Suarez against Ghana at the world cup, will it be a penalty?
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 8:13am On Jan 28
Onuimo1:
So I ask what happens when the last opposition player handles the ball because it's goal bound. Are you going to give a penalty?
if the player that played the initial ball that got to him is not offside, & he handled a goal bound ball when he is not the goalkeeper, it is a straight red card & a penalty ( a good example is Suarez incident in a world cup match btw Ghana & Uruguay) but if play is gudged to be offside before the ball got to the last player that handles it, then it is ruled offside
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by omochelsea004(m): 8:18am On Jan 28
Onuimo1:

So what if the opposing players handles the ball like Suarez against Ghana at the world cup, will it be a penalty?
if the ball is gudged to be offside before getting to the player that handle the ball, it is still an offside, but if the play is gudged to be inside & the last player handles a goal bound ball, it is a straight red card & a penalty
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Deogratiasfx: 8:33am On Jan 28
[quote author=omochelsea004 post=128162311] check again to see his positioning before the initial shot that got to him, you will see that he was ahead of every opposition players except the defender on goal line [/quote
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by Deogratiasfx: 8:34am On Jan 28
omochelsea004:
check again to see his positioning before the initial shot that got to him, you will see that he was ahead of every opposition players except the defender on goal line

AFCON 2019 against South Africa, there was a goal scored against us that was ruled off side but there a VAR review and it was observed that ball hit Ighalo before the South African headed it to the net and the goal stood.

VAR was very wrong in Canceling Ajayi goal.
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by THEGALADIMA(m): 8:45am On Jan 28
You did not explain it well
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by yomi531(m): 12:58pm On Jan 28
A similar thing happened in the Liverpool vs Madrid Cl finals 2022( Benzemas goal in the first half that was ruled offside). I explained to some guys in viewing center but, some fans too like blind arguments
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by jubrilcastle(m): 3:14pm On Jan 28
OKUCHI11:
Why dem never implement the Arsene Wenger or the new Offside rule that they made so much noise about on the Internet
Honestly I think when they implement it all these confusion will stop.
Re: Ajayi's Goal Ruled For Offside Is Actually Correct According To Fifa Rules by walyx(m): 5:21pm On Jan 28
Waoh! Thanks so much for this info.. I was actually confused yesterday.

(1) (Reply)

Siasia Now The Super Eagles' New Coach, What Next For Him? / Anticipated Obituary! / Giroud: We Don't Need New Striker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.