Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. (31717 Views)

Dr. Chinyere Ohiri: Willie Willie 1980s Horror Film Actor / Nostalgia: These Songs Rocked The Nigeria Airwaves In The 1980s. / Tv Show: Top Tv Series - Best Tv Shows Of 2018 Hd, Mp4 And 3gp Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Alexpetra: 2:54pm On Jan 28
Dollywood:
You’d think Nigeria got better, but life in the 80’s was far better whatever we have now.
no much diff, just the amount that was been stolen then increased.
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:54pm On Jan 28
Gbórómiro, Ere oritage. New masquerade, tales by moonlight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Adewale1603(m): 2:54pm On Jan 28
Good old days. When life was still beautiful, peaceful and not corrupted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 2:56pm On Jan 28
free2ryhme:

You forgot to add Sunday rendezvous

free2ryhme:

Let me also add that you duplicated this thread.

Below is link to similar thread from 2018

https://www.nairaland.com/117034/tv-80s-nta

BewareOf419:
Where is Things fall apart, Doctor Who, Mr Spencer

TOPCRUISE:
Gbórómiro, Ere oritage. New masquerade, tales by moonlight.

stasius:
Include the Benue/Tiv Kwaghir puppet/masquerade show that holds every Saturday evening.

That thing scared shit out of me as a child.

Emeka71:
Kiddie-vision 101.

Runnazzy:

Exactly!
Sesame street, Steptoe and sons, Sanford and sons, Different strokes, Good times, Get Smart, Tomorrow people, famous 5, Sweeny, Joe 90, Knight Rider, Big foot, The incredible hulk, Then later in the 90s the cosby show, Family matters, MacGyver all i can remember now.
These are the ones i can relate with. All those in his post are just kinda left-handed except for "contact" and Frank Olise's News Line, at 9pm don't think i remember anyone because NTA has always been a very boring channel

naptu2:
Note: This thread is about variety shows. It's a specific type of show that features live music, interview with artistes, live comedy, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_show

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by MrAgbako: 2:59pm On Jan 28
Greetings to all agbawo on this thread 😂

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Justiceleague1: 3:05pm On Jan 28
naptu2:

I debated whether I should include Sunny Side of Life, but it's more of a comedy talk show than a variety show.
Oh,yeah,it's actually Sunny Side of Life,I remember now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 3:06pm On Jan 28
Justiceleague1:

Oh,yeah,it's actually Sunny Side of Life,I remember now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLAmhxyRU-E?si=2su26PTNgaUoPdOY

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by aswani(m): 3:06pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The Bobby Benson Show

Benson also had musical collaborations with the internationally acclaimed and musical legend Eddy Grant, who stayed in Lagos and performed at the Hotel Bobby for many years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Benson

Good work getting this info here naptu2 but if this is the Jamaican Eddy Grant, then this isn't true completely.

Eddy Grant did come to Nigeria in the late 70's, I can't remember the label that invited him, and he stayed for between 1 and 3 months.

He cut and album or two and played in a lot of Lagos clubs during that period. He even did a track in Yoruba sef which was incredibly brave of him.

The "many years" part of the stuff in Wikipedia I am definitely sure didn't happen. I guess Eddy Grant might have returned to Nigeria once in a while but still an exaggeration to say many years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 3:09pm On Jan 28
Foreign variety shows that were popular on Nigerian television around this time include

The Patti Boulaye Show (Patti Boulaye is Nigerian but she has lived in the UK for a very long time).

The Donny and Marie Show

Grace Kennedy Show

The Tom Jones Show

The Palace Presents (live from Ceaser's Palace)

Etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 3:10pm On Jan 28
aswani:

Good work getting this info here naptu2 but if this is the Jamaican Eddy Grant, then this isn't true completely.

Eddy Grant did come to Nigeria in the late 70's, I can't remember the label that invited him, and he stayed for between 1 and 3 months.

He cut and album or two and played in a lot of Lagos clubs during that period. He even did a track in Yoruba sef which was incredibly brave of him.

The "many years" part of the stuff in Wikipedia I am definitely sure didn't happen. I guess Eddy Grant might have returned to Nigeria once in a while but still an exaggeration to say many years.

I think they got that from the fact that he did return to Nigeria many times. (He's actually from Guyana).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by uuzba(m): 3:29pm On Jan 28
Dollywood:
You’d think Nigeria got better, but life in the 80’s was far better whatever we have now.
When I seriously believed by 2000's we will be getting flying cars in Nigeria.
But look at it now, the whole country is full agberos, areaboys, illiterates, criminals, and Nepa with their No light.
Still begging white men so we can import pant, tooth pick and 205% of one's entire life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Beuberry(f): 3:31pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
End.
Nice thread sir

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 3:32pm On Jan 28
Beuberry:

Nice thread sir

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by uuzba(m): 3:32pm On Jan 28
eepeepook:
A brain stuck in the 80s. No different from Nigeria.
If you don't know where you are coming from, you will never know where you are going.
Nigeria is bad today, because all these good people shown by OP have left the country or died and the modern generation is incapable of learn good things or being honest.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by soccerlite: 4:06pm On Jan 28
Naptu baba

Salute!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by RepoMan007: 4:13pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The NTA showed a lot of variety shows in the 1970s and 1980s and many highlife artistes performed on these shows. Some of these shows were hosted by the highlife artistes, while others, like Bandstand, featured a different artiste every week. I am now going to post videos of these artistes performing on those shows.

On this thread there will be videos and details of:

The Bala Miller Show (8pm NTA Network)

The Art Alade Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

The Bobby Benson Show (NTA Channel 10 and later NTA2 Channel 5, Saturday afternoons)

Princess Afi Usuah Show (NTA Network, 8pm, I can't remember what day)

The Stephen Osita Osadebe Show (NTA Channel 10, can't remember what day or time)

The YomYem Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

Contact (6pm on NTA2 Channel 5 and later on the Network Service).

Senseless bragging.
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by franktolk(m): 4:29pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The YomYem Show (Ogunyemi Ogunsanya).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-c9IWaDtM?si=8SdWf7w0qOZmK9VS

Wow , I'm having the nostalgic feelings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by stasius: 4:30pm On Jan 28
Include the Benue/Tiv Kwaghir puppet/masquerade show that holds every Saturday evening.

That thing scared shit out of me as a child.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by franktolk(m): 4:43pm On Jan 28

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Emeka71(m): 5:03pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The Bala Miller Show

The Bala Miller Show ran from c1982 till c1987 (reruns were shown till the early 1990s). Many of the big stars of the 1980s were guests on the show.

Kiddie-vision 101.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Emeka71(m): 5:06pm On Jan 28
Adewale1603:
Good old days. When life was still beautiful, peaceful and not corrupted.
So right.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by ericmor: 5:15pm On Jan 28
AGBA! I TWA U O

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by obesse: 5:16pm On Jan 28
Nigeria was so enjoyable that era. There was more peace, more joy, more love, less evil, more skillful and talented musicians, with meaningful lyrics, musicians who could play multiple instruments (in addition to singing sensible songs). Although, we had to wait until 4PM everyday before we could watch TV! TV stations used to start transmission at 4PM.
There was no fear of kidnapping, terrorism and banditry.
Education was cheap, but of a very high standard. Graduates got good jobs and lived well. Some of them got official cars and accomodations, as soon as they assumed their positions.
Items sold in the markets were genuine and of very high quality. What's more, they were affordable.
In 1980, flight ticket to the UK was about 400 Naira! There was no need to Japa, because the Naira was strong, and it was fun living in Nigeria!
I wish I could roll back the hands of the clock!!!
In those days, the popular car brands were Mercedes, Peugeot (504, 404, 505),
Volkswagen Beetle, Volvo.
Toyota was not valued in those days! Lol!. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Cruzmaster: 5:36pm On Jan 28
World then is boring jare 😂😂😂
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:42pm On Jan 28
Back in those days people no dey clear bush grin
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by dom(m): 5:44pm On Jan 28
Ukonu's Club.
On NTA Channel 6, Aba
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Judgesledge(m): 5:58pm On Jan 28
free2ryhme:

Let me also add that you duplicated this thread.

Below is link to similar thread from 2018

https://www.nairaland.com/117034/tv-80s-nta
Not talking about the same thing , no duplication there bro
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Runnazzy(m): 6:07pm On Jan 28
BewareOf419:
Where is Things fall apart, Doctor Who, Mr Spencer

Exactly!
Sesame street, Steptoe and sons, Sanford and sons, Different strokes, Good times, Get Smart, Tomorrow people, famous 5, Sweeny, Joe 90, Knight Rider, Big foot, The incredible hulk, Then later in the 90s the cosby show, Family matters, MacGyver all i can remember now.
These are the ones i can relate with. All those in his post are just kinda left-handed except for "contact" and Frank Olise's News Line, at 9pm don't think i remember anyone because NTA has always been a very boring channel
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by segyoms: 6:15pm On Jan 28
I can't relate
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Confiture: 6:30pm On Jan 28
Naptu2 thank you for this. History will always be relevant

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obichie Chidinma Dazzles As Young Actress In '13 Letters' Movie / Where Can I Download English Telenovelas? / Lies Of The Heart On Zee World Full Story Summary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.