Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. (31734 Views)

Dr. Chinyere Ohiri: Willie Willie 1980s Horror Film Actor / Nostalgia: These Songs Rocked The Nigeria Airwaves In The 1980s. / Tv Show: Top Tv Series - Best Tv Shows Of 2018 Hd, Mp4 And 3gp Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by pacespot(m): 6:37pm On Jan 28
Good old days
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Caveatemptor(m): 7:07pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The NTA showed a lot of variety shows in the 1970s and 1980s and many highlife artistes performed on these shows. Some of these shows were hosted by the highlife artistes, while others, like Bandstand, featured a different artiste every week. I am now going to post videos of these artistes performing on those shows.

On this thread there will be videos and details of:

The Bala Miller Show (8pm NTA Network)

The Art Alade Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

The Bobby Benson Show (NTA Channel 10 and later NTA2 Channel 5, Saturday afternoons)

Princess Afi Usuah Show (NTA Network, 8pm, I can't remember what day)

The Stephen Osita Osadebe Show (NTA Channel 10, can't remember what day or time)

The YomYem Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

Contact (6pm on NTA2 Channel 5 and later on the Network Service).

Excellent thread as usual, however I am surprised that you failed to mention the BAR BEACH SHOW on NTA channel 10 in the late 70s and early 80s.
The Bar beach show was the precursor of all the shows you have mentioned here.
The Bar beach show was hosted by the late John Chukwu and former Miss Nigerias Rosemary Anieze Adams and Julie Coker and was a regular musical show on which musicians and bands of the day were invited to play popular songs for a live audience,who were invited to the open floor to dance to the music played.

Once again, excellent thread.
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by naptu2: 7:10pm On Jan 28
Caveatemptor:

Excellent thread as usual, however I am surprised that you failed to mention the BAR BEACH SHOW on NTA channel 10 in the late 70s and early 80s.
The Bar beach show was the precursor of all the shows you have mentioned here.
The Bar beach show was hosted by the late John Chukwu and former Miss Nigeria Rosemary Anieze Adams and was a regular musical show on which musicians and bands of the day were invited to play popular songs for a live audience,who were invited to the open floor to dance to the music played.

Once again, excellent thread.

The Bar Beach Show was in the late 1960s and 1970s (it's mentioned in the post about Art Alade). This thread is about 1980s shows.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Caveatemptor(m): 7:12pm On Jan 28
naptu2:

The Bar Beach Show was in the late 1960s and 1970s (it's mentioned in the post about Art Alade). This thread is about 1980s shows.

Oh My apologies.
My bad.
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by okerekingsley90: 9:06pm On Jan 28
PapaAfolabii:
If you want to enjoy movies download those of 1990s and 2000s

Any link or source. I appreciate
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by nnamdiosu(m): 9:17pm On Jan 28
Hotice085:

naptu2 you are a legend abeg are you on X twitter na people like you supposed get dis Nairaland
Seun de behave like suwegbe, d level wey Nairaland de no be am at all
Wetin be you X profile becos you too loaded

Honestly. How he's humble, knowledgeable, avoids unnecessary stress and entertainers (troublemakers , as he calls them) baffles me.

naptu2 we need to set up a website/forum strictly for just old school content.
Music, movies, news etc.

You have a vast wealth of knowledge that might be very helpful for the future.
What do you think ?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Janosky: 9:39pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The NTA showed a lot of variety shows in the 1970s and 1980s and many highlife artistes performed on these shows. Some of these shows were hosted by the highlife artistes, while others, like Bandstand, featured a different artiste every week. I am now going to post videos of these artistes performing on those shows.

On this thread there will be videos and details of:

The Bala Miller Show (8pm NTA Network)

The Art Alade Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

The Bobby Benson Show (NTA Channel 10 and later NTA2 Channel 5, Saturday afternoons)

Princess Afi Usuah Show (NTA Network, 8pm, I can't remember what day)

The Stephen Osita Osadebe Show (NTA Channel 10, can't remember what day or time)

The YomYem Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

Contact (6pm on NTA2 Channel 5 and later on the Network Service).

This nah correct man thread.
Oga naptu2, I dorf my hat.

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by armadeo(m): 9:39pm On Jan 28
Oga naptu on the beat again.

Well done boss.

One guy said you're stuck in the 80s obviously he has no idea on the purity of history

Ps. For some funny reason when I saw contact this was what came to my mind at first...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-LEBc2sO8?si=abfTF-XOQAoMHVB-

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Janosky: 9:46pm On Jan 28
Indomie Generation & Generation X, make una come here get some valuable tutorials about the good old days when men were boys.

This was entertainment for the family in those days.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by luckyz4rea(m): 9:58pm On Jan 28
I can’t recall which channel used to show ”Suncity” the old Ghana tv series by that very popular Ghanaian man.

Also, Taxi driver. The old man was here too I think. He was the taxi driver.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Forumites: 10:26pm On Jan 28
Adewale1603:
Good old days. When life was still beautiful, peaceful and not corrupted.
older guys are gusting and the junior ones just kept mute. Did that tell you something ?
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Ishilove: 10:42pm On Jan 28
naptu2:
The Bala Miller Show

The Bala Miller Show ran from c1982 till c1987 (reruns were shown till the early 1990s). Many of the big stars of the 1980s were guests on the show.

This brought a smile to my face. I have faint memories of those early 90's reruns and I recall always bobbing my head to "and you, and you, and you" 😁😁
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Ishilove: 10:55pm On Jan 28
armadeo:
Oga naptu on the beat again.

Well done boss.

One guy said you're stuck in the 80s obviously he has no idea on the purity of history

Ps. For some funny reason when I saw contact this was what came to my mind at first...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-LEBc2sO8?si=abfTF-XOQAoMHVB-
Me too! I didn't know there was another made in Nigeria Contact grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by cho25bc(f): 11:25pm On Jan 28
naptu2:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_Miller

And to think that victor pius azubuike just spoke about this man on his radio show yesterday. What a coincidence. Well done, naptu
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Hotice085: 6:04am On Jan 29
brain54:

You no get papa...?

Knock his head instead.

Mushin!

Erunko, very stupid boy
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Ndipe(m): 6:26am On Jan 29
Who remembers Efe Mbre?
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by BewareOf419: 2:53pm On Jan 29
Runnazzy:

Exactly!
Sesame street, Steptoe and sons, Sanford and sons, Different strokes, Good times, Get Smart, Tomorrow people, famous 5, Sweeny, Joe 90, Knight Rider, Big foot, The incredible hulk, Then later in the 90s the cosby show, Family matters, MacGyver all i can remember now.
These are the ones i can relate with. All those in his post are just kinda left-handed except for "contact" and Frank Olise's News Line, at 9pm don't think i remember anyone because NTA has always been a very boring channel

Oga we don dey get old ooo cheesy
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by armadeo(m): 9:38pm On Jan 30
Ishilove:

Me too! I didn't know there was another made in Nigeria Contact grin

Lol. Same era " shidren" we are.
Re: Nigerian Variety Shows Of The 1980s. by Lontorlooka(m): 12:38pm On Feb 14
obesse:
Nigeria was so enjoyable that era. There was more peace, more joy, more love, less evil,
Education was cheap, but of a very high standard. Graduates got good jobs and lived well. Some of them got official cars and accomodations, as soon as they assumed their positions.
Items sold in the markets were genuine and of very high quality. What's more, they were affordable.
In 1980, flight ticket to the UK was about 400 Naira! There was no need to Japa, because the Naira was strong, and it was fun living in Nigeria!
I wish I could roll back the hands of the clock!!!

These happened because of the golden oil boom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mo Abudu Responds To Criticism Trailing 'Chief Daddy 2' / Lies Of The Heart On Zee World Full Story Summary / Where Can I Download English Telenovelas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.