Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets (4579 Views)

Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today / Peng Shuai: Apprehension Grows Over Missing Chinese Tennis Star / Nigerian Tennis International Aruna Quadri Now 21st In Latest ITTF Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by DesChyko: 10:50am On Jan 28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgAhCWCPD6M?si=PoKEr7aJTVsdFHQH

An X user, Chude Nnamdi, who goes by the name @chude__ shared this story

It breaks my heart to see a former Nigerian Tennis Champion in the street like this 💔

I looked up Tanya Okpala and Jacqueline Okwueze (the names mentioned) and they show up as Nigerian tennis prodigies who also represented Africa. Jacqueline was also a Lawyer in Texas.
Why she is now commonly seen on Abakaliki Street, Awka, wandering until nightfall is anyone's guess.

For me, three things that stood out in the video are:

1. She appears mentally unbalanced. In this video. That makes one wary of the percentage of truth in what she says. It could be concluded that she confirmed to drug use to keep her in check.

2. She spoke of being abused and racially profiled. Such things must not be allowed to stand. Individuals and affiliated agencies should please look into this.

3. She needs help. In her own case, she also needs who will manage the help she gets as going by this video, I don't think she can do that on her own. Anambra State Government should please lead the charge.

I almost shed tears listening to her. My best guess is drug abuse played a part in all of these. It's something we all must fight to a manageable level.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by eepeepook: 11:21am On Jan 28
Mental illness. She thought she’d be regarded as a sporting great. The country dumped her when she was of no use. The best one can do for her is send her to Yaba Left. After treatment, open a training center where she’ll coach future female prospects of the sport. At least she said she was planning to stay in the village. She’s better off there. With time, she’ll come to terms with her situation, get married and birth a lucky man beautiful children.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by Chicagograduate(m): 11:28am On Jan 28
Please everybody is facing the challenges.Dont make it look like it is all rosy for everyone.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by GarkiAccessory(m): 12:12pm On Jan 28
Op

Research shows that both started out as young tennis prodigy at a tender age but one of them Jacqueline whose mother was a Ukrainian, eventually turned out later in Life to be one of the best criminal and defense immigration lawyers in Texas, USA

while the other one whose mother was Belarusian unfortunately turned out this way.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by DesChyko: 12:25pm On Jan 28
GarkiAccessory:
Op

Research shows that both started out as young tennis prodigy at a tender age but one of them Jacqueline whose mother was a Ukrainian, eventually turned out later in Life to be one of the best criminal and defense immigration lawyers in Texas, USA

while the other one whose mother was Belarusian unfortunately turned out this way.

Thanks for this insight 👊🏾

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by DesChyko: 12:27pm On Jan 28
Chicagograduate:
Please everybody is facing the challenges.Dont make it look like it is all rosy for everyone.

It certainly isn't rosy for this one. Even the ant, as small as it is, is above the ground. What it stands to show is that irrespective of how downtrodden anyone is, there is always someone going through worse.

The least we can do is lend a helping hand wherever and whenever we can.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by 9japride(m): 1:04pm On Jan 28
DesChyko:

It certainly isn't rosy for this one. Even the ant, as small as it is, is above the ground. What it stands to show is that irrespective of how downtrodden anyone is, there is always someone going through worse.

The least we can do is lend a helping hand wherever and whenever we can.
[color=#006600][/color]

Thanks for schooling that moniker. Nigerians generally lack empathy that's why our leaders take everyone like trash.
If one can't help, best is to give a word of encouragement.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by DAramis: 3:15pm On Jan 28
Terrible situation she finds herself in. I do hope she got better
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by Konquest: 3:40pm On Jan 28
DesChyko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgAhCWCPD6M?si=PoKEr7aJTVsdFHQH

An X user, Chude Nnamdi, who goes by the name @chude__ shared this story

It breaks my heart to see a former Nigerian Tennis Champion in the street like this 💔

I looked up Tanya Okpala and Jacqueline Okwueze (the names mentioned) and they show up as Nigerian tennis prodigies who also represented Africa. Jacqueline was also a Lawyer in Texas.
Why she is now commonly seen on Abakaliki Street, Awka, wandering until nightfall is anyone's guess.

For me, three things that stood out in the video are:

1. She appears mentally unbalanced. In this video. That makes one wary of the percentage of truth in what she says. It could be concluded that she confirmed to drug use to keep her in check.

2. She spoke of being abused and racially profiled. Such things must not be allowed to stand. Individuals and affiliated agencies should please look into this.

3. She needs help. In her own case, she also needs who will manage the help she gets as going by this video, I don't think she can do that on her own. Anambra State Government should please lead the charge.

I almost shed tears listening to her. My best guess is drug abuse played a part in all of these. It's something we all must fight to a manageable level.
I remember the younger Tanya Okpala (born in 1982) and her sister Katya Okpala from back in the day. I hope she get's help fast from her family members and the society in that state where she is located before she get's sexually molested further on the streets by some depraved people.

She must be taken for mental therapy and drug detox ASAP. Her memory and ability to recall names and past events is simply near-perfect but Tanya deflected or avoided answering the guy's question on whether she is on recreational drugs.

I must commend the guy in the video for asking her intelligent questions otherwise we would NEVER have known in that video that the well-spoken lady in the video is the former 1990s kid lawn tennis player, Tanya Okpala.

Nlfpmod

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by SuperOnyi: 4:01pm On Jan 28
shocked

For a moment, I tried to stop myself from thinking of how pretty she is. She obviously really need help but the question I bet is on everyone's mind is where is her family or even her sister?

It's really sad there's a lot of people drowning in miseries all over the world.

I'd like to use this opportunity to let you know nobody really cares about you, you're a alone in this world. If help comes — just like I'm hoping she gets help even though I am not really in a better position — then I guess you're lucky.

So, for the sake of being responsible, let's forget the fact that I thought the thumbnail was really sexy, her voice beautiful yet sounded "vulnerable" which gave a nod to my spiritual gbola, and pray she truly gets help. I really mean it — I felt that feeling in her voice.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by pacino26(m): 6:19pm On Jan 28
Am not too good with X but someone should help with contact details of the guy who made this video. Drop it here please
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by matify83: 9:38pm On Jan 28
This is so sad.

Someone with connections to the Minister of women affair should help tag her please.

This is the person that needs rehabilitation and not the "soldier girl" they are trying to silence from exposing those depraved army "red necks"

I really hope this turns out good for Tanya.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by aribs(m): 10:33pm On Jan 28
Jacqueline Okwueze ? Wow … I can hardly believe this . Her elder bro and I were mates in Ibadan back then. What went wrong ? I need to know more
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by GarkiAccessory(m): 11:01pm On Jan 28
aribs:
Jacqueline Okwueze ? Wow … I can hardly believe this . Her elder bro and I were mates in Ibadan back then. What went wrong ? I need to know more
Please is Jacqueline Okwueze and Tanya Okpala the same person? Sorry about her current circumstances
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by Tranquility2345: 12:49am On Jan 29
aribs:

That’s Tanya Okpala not Jacqueline Okwueze.
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by Tranquility2345: 12:50am On Jan 29
GarkiAccessory:

Please is Jacqueline Okwueze and Tanya Okpala the same person? Sorry about her current circumstances

They are not. And that is Tanya Okpalla. Not Okwueze wey dey yankee dey live her life. See as all news outlets just dey dirty the poor girl name. Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by KingLennon(m): 6:05am On Jan 29
Living in Nigeria in this particular government can make you depressed and mentally unstable sad
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by DesChyko: 6:27am On Jan 29
pacino26:
Am not too good with X but someone should help with contact details of the guy who made this video. Drop it here please

This is his handle @chude__ . You can see the post on the profile
Re: Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets by talented321: 10:11am On Jan 29
What you get in ur account don't really matter, what matters is how much you make dailly.
That is why tinubu and dangote is still desperate for the cash..

(1) (Reply)

Germany(0) Vs Italy(2): World Cup 2006 Semi-finals / INCREDIBLE: Heavily Pregnant Woman Playing Basketbal, Lead Team To Victory (phot / Rare Photo Of N'golo Kante Fighting A War In 1874

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.