Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,141 members, 7,829,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! (861 Views)

Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? / Looking To Connect With Nigerian Retailers (no 419) / New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! by tttn726: 7:04pm On Nov 07, 2011
419ers strip lonely heart mum of £80k

I wouldn't want to be swindled like this but this is absolutely brilliant! £80,000!!!!! Yahoozee boys!

My personal aim is to transfer such patience,consistence into my so called legitimate business. This all operation combines an excellent understanding of human psychology, patience ,operational know how etc can't say more

Brilliant!

(on the sweet human side - how unfortunate, swindling the poor woman silly)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/31/419_mum/

419ers strip lonely heart mum of £80k

Handsome US soldier actually Lad from Lagos
By Lester Haines • Get more from this author

Posted in Crime, 31st January 2011 16:28 GMT
Toshiba R8 series - perfectly formed for business
A divorced mother of three was taken for £80,000 by 419ers posing as a US soldier, the Daily Mail reports.

Kate Roberts, 47, of Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, was hooked when she posted a profile on Friends Reunited Dating in October 2009.

She was soon "exchanging emails with a man calling himself Sergeant Ray Smith and chatting to him several times a day on MSN Messenger".

Smith claimed to be a US soldier serving in Iraq, sadly widowed with an 11-year-old daughter. The gang provided pictures of the apparently "muscle-bound" soldier and his "daughter" to bait the trap, and began to reel in their victim with an initial request for £225 for a phone line.

Then, "a man with an American accent calling himself Mark began ringing her almost every day," the Mail continues.

Roberts said: "I did have doubts, but everything he told me sounded reasonable and I was in love. He told me he couldn’t tell me much about his job for security reasons and I accepted that."

In a textbook operation, the scammers then ramped up the requests for cash, including one for £20,000 to buy the "leave passes" Smith needed to be united with his cyberlove.

In total, Roberts coughed up £80,000 in "regular payments of thousands via Western Union". She "even paid cash directly into what she believed was his bank account as he told her he had no money".

The sad truth was revealed when she organised £12,000 for "one of his friends to pay for his airfare to Britain and he suddenly stopped contacting her".

Roberts explained: "One day he just stopped emailing me and didn’t call me. I drove down to an army base in Cambridgeshire, which he’d told me he had been in for three years, but they had never heard of him. I called the police and my phone company traced the phone he had used back to a mobile number in Nigeria."

The victim was later forced to sell her home to pay off the debts she racked up at the hands of the Lads from Lagos.

She concluded: "Aside from losing the money I feel like I’ve lost the love of my life. I know he wasn’t real, but the feelings were real to me and that’s very difficult to come to terms with. Hundreds of other women must be getting conned right now."
Re: This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! by billyG(m): 10:46pm On Nov 08, 2011
This Nigerian 419 guys has given us a bad name again,may they not enjoy thier loot! may EFCC catch them.I blame  the white lady too Divorce this! , divorce that!! they  won't stay with one man ,always fallen in and out of love ,you left the man you can see,feel & enjoy even have 3 kids for, still not satisfy with love!you are greedly in love with a virtual crook to part with a whooping 80,000 pounds which is very hard to get,i believe is part of divorce settlement .Look at what women's lib is cursing. lipsrsealed
Re: This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! by cja4real: 10:05am On Nov 09, 2011
it is really unfortunate. very unfortunate, even though the woman acted silly, but it shows something about some of these oyibos, they are sometimes more humane and caring and trusting than some of us down here.
Re: This Is 419 But It's Out Of This World Brilliant! If True! by fm7070: 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
oyibo sef na thief.
where is the money Ibori Kept in Britain.
Where is the money IBB kept in Switzerland?

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Set Up SHORT CODE BUSINESS or Who can set it UP for me? / Answ On Adsense / Invest A Minimum Of $10 And Earn 2% Of Your Investment Into Your Account.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.