Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West (262 Views)

Religion Moves The North, Politics Moves The West, Ethnicity Moves The East / Farooq Kperogi: "Amina Zakari Is Lying About Her Relationship With Buhari" / Saraki Hasn't Denied Relationship With Offa Robbers - Adams Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 6:56pm On Jan 28
Anthony Blinken was in Lagos and Abuja this week.
We don't know and will probably never know why he came.
It is reasonable to believe that he came to push American Interest.
What is American Interest? More on that later

He was asked a question. Why is it that the scale of help available to Ukraine is no where near what Nigeria has received.
He was asked ,we have removed subsidy and floated the Naira ,where is the inflow of investment?
In response he was chopping mouth. He had no tangible response
The issue of corruption was all he could talk about We should stop being corrupt and our solders should respect human rights . No weapons to fight bandits
He supports the stance TInubu has taken along with ECOWAS against Niger
All during the military era,those all enough will remember, all they preached was democracy.

We have been democratic for 25 years where is the American investment?

My belief is the USA wants a Nigeria that is weak enough to allow them to have a military base in Nigeria just like they have in Niger and for that reason they are not going to help us.

Let us look at Egypt. Egypt held elections that produced Islamic brotherhood. The US did not like that outcome and when Sisi overthrew and brought in the military they were cool .
You never see them preaching to Egypt about democracy ,Human rights and corruption in the same way as Nigeria. Is Egypt less corrupt am?
Egypt is getting massive investment left and right in Power and is not fully aligned with the US as we are.
We need to wake up. The US is interested in Nigeria supporting its foreign policy in Ukraine and Israel and in maintaining military presence in the West African region now that Wagner is emerging but it prefers a weak Nigeria that is prostate and begging for military bases from the US

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Dicado: 7:41pm On Jan 28
Nigeria will never be an Islamic state. If you think we will dance to the tune of Boko haram operating as bandits in disguise and one day decide to Islamise Nigeria then you're dreaming. Egypt is an Islamic state, so are other Arab nations.

We need democracy and not some Jihad. If the US build their military base here, in fact, it will boost our economic morals and efficiency. There are many foreigners including Chinese and Russians that are very very very very desperately interested in working in Nigeria but insecurity and our honourable corrupt judiciary is what is keeping them away. Nobody can work in an environment where no true justice can prevail should something goes wrong.

Or can you go and invest in an unstable economy country filled with corrupt judiciary with full confidence of making any meaningful headway?

Look at the corruption going on in this administration where the FCT minister is still trying to control his home state.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 7:55pm On Jan 28
Dicado:
Nigeria will never be an Islamic state. If you think we will dance to the tune of Boko haram operating as bandits in disguise and one day decide to Islamise Nigeria then you're dreaming. Egypt is an Islamic state, so are other Arab nations.

We need democracy and not some Jihad. If the US build their military base here, in fact, it will boost our economic morals and efficiency. There are many foreigners including Chinese and Russians that are very very very very desperately interested in working in Nigeria but insecurity and our honourable corrupt judiciary is what is keeping them away. Nobody can work in an environment where no true justice can prevail should something goes wrong.

Or can you go and invest in an unstable economy country filled with corrupt judiciary with full confidence of making any meaningful headway?

Look at the corruption going on in this administration where the FCT minister is still trying to control his home state.

Guy I am not desperate to have people comment on this thread and I prefer only those who are literate that can comprehend English to comment or let the thread be barren and ignored. Let it be that I am talking to myself
Who is advocating or suggesting that Nigeria should become an Islamic state?
Where did you get that?

So so politely beg you
Just go away and don't comment anymore

This is not a place for illiterates or dimwits

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Ogamysamo: 7:59pm On Jan 28
i'm a lover of debates but above all i love learning. i mean new things.
keep them coming... who next... the points and points of view are interesting already
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Iamanoited: 8:02pm On Jan 28
"He was asked ,we have removed subsidy and floated the Naira ,where is the inflow of investment?
In response he was chopping mouth. He had no tangible response".

He was right because the question was confusing.

"The issue of corruption was all he could talk about We should stop being corrupt and our solders should respect human rights ".

NIGERIA IS CORRUPT. VERY CORRUPT. OUR SOLDIERS HAVE BEEN "WORSTED BY BUHARINOMICS.

"No weapons to fight bandits".

U.S GAVE WEAPONS TO BUHARI. PLENTY OF WEAPONS JUST TO SPITE JONATHAN.

"We have been democratic for 25 years where is the American investment?

My belief is the USA wants a Nigeria that is weak enough to allow them to have a military base in Nigeria just like they have in Niger and for that reason they are not going to help us".

USA AND UFA ARE BOTH PRODUCTS OF UK. NIGERIA IS MORE EDUCATED THAN USA. HOW DO WE APPLY OUR EDUCATION? NIGERIA IS JUST USELESS AND CORRUPT. IMAGINE THE WASTED 8 YEARS OF BUHARI AND EMEFIELE ON CURRENCY DEVALUATION AND PANTAMI ON USELESS NIN WHEN OBASANJO'S NATIONAL IDENTITY CARDS WERE VERY MUCH AVAILABLE AND BETTER.

FROM 1960 TO DATE AND WITH ALL OUR EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE, NIGERIA SHOULD BE RULING THE WORLD NOW. BUT WE SQUANDERED ALL ON CORRUPTION, WASTE AND INEPTITUDE.

ONLY OBASANJO KNOWS WHAT A COUNTRY AND DEMOCRACY TRULY MEAN.

Orisa37
NAIRA REDESIGN:-
1, EMEFIELE IRRESPONSIBLY AUTHORIZED THE STOPPAGE OF THE CIRCULATION OF OLD NAIRA NOTES WEF 31/12/22.
2, THE NASS, WITHOUT ASCERTAINING WHETHER THEY HAVE THE POWER OR NOT, RECKLESSLY INTERVENED TO EXTEND THE STOPPAGE OF THE CIRCULATION TO 30/4/23.
3, UNTIL THE SUPREME COURT, IN ITS EXCELLENT WISDOM, EXTENDED THE STOPPAGE OF CIRCULATION TO 31/12/23.
4, IT IS RELEVANT TO SAY THAT BUHARI NEGLIGENTLY SCAMPERED AND "PORA" THROUGHOUT THIS PERIOD.
5, AND UP TILL TODAY, NOTHING HAPPENS.

OUR SUPREME COURT SAVED EMILOKAN FROM THE CSU.

OBJ, THE MILITARY CIVILIAN "MOWO WALE". "EMILOKAN" TOO, THE MILITANT CIVILIAN MUST "MOWO WALE" IJN AMEN.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Peakdesign23(m): 8:06pm On Jan 28
Both Nigeria and her leaders are vulnerable to these whites. They sweet talk them and steal massively. He didn’t just come in vain, believe you me.
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by ivolt: 8:26pm On Jan 28
aribisala0:
Blinken will be a fool to promote any other thing apart from America's interest.
When it aligns with another country's goal, then it could bring great ROI just like the case of South Korea.
I hope you don't believe that any other powerful country does anything that does not align with their interest?

He was asked a question. Why is it that the scale of help available to Ukraine is no where near what Ukraine has received.
I don't know where this is driving at but it is irrelevant to Nigeria.

He was asked ,we have removed subsidy and floated the Naira ,where is the inflow of investment?
What's this I am reading?
Blinken did not remove fuel subsidy.
He didn't write the "subsidy is gone" speech. He didn't get the accolades for taking a "bold" decision
that other coward president couldn't take.

Was there a written or oral agreement somewhere between Tinubu and the US government
on fuel subsidy?
The entitlement is awkward.
Before you mention World bank or IMF, those are banks whose sole aim is to promote
the interest of their major shareholders US and the west. Whatever advice they give is self-serving.
So is BRICS which was founded to promote the interest of largest shareholders, China and Russia.

The issue of corruption was all he could talk about We should stop being corrupt and our solders should respect human rights . No weapons to fight bandits
When all your newspapers, academics, columnists, politicians and even market women blame all Nigeria's
woes on corruption, then Blinken is merely echoing what the populace believe.
Even unrelated issues are blamed on corruption. Whenever corruption is mentioned,
the average Nigerian's rationality fly out of the window.

All during the military era,those all enough will remember, all they preached was democracy.
Yes, he does, because it aligns with US interest.
Nothing to see here.

Democracy is not an ATM used to withdraw "American investment".
In fact, American investment is a misnomer.
The US government does not invest. It provides reconstruction loan
or general aid that's all.
If you want American investment, the people to convince are the private sector
not Blinken or Biden.

My belief is the USA wants a Nigeria that is weak enough to allow them to have a military base in Nigeria just like they have in Niger and for that reason they are not going to help us.
Here we go again with conspiratorial thinking.
US already have an unofficial military base in Nigeria located in Borno state. UK has one there too.
If US wants a military base, it will get it with no sweat.
These are some other "weak" countries with US military bases.
Germany, South Korea, UK, Singapore and Japan to list a few.

Let us look at Egypt. Egypt held elections that produced Islamic brotherhood. The US did not like that outcome and when Sisi overthrew and brought in the military they were cool .
You never see them preaching to Egypt about democracy ,Human rights and corruption in the same way as Nigeria. Is Egypt less corrupt am?
Egypt is getting massive investment left and right in Power and is not fully aligned with the US as we are.
Sisi is a democratically elected president.
The coup is old news.
Egypt is getting investment because it is an asset and it is a stable country.

We need to wake up. The US is interested in Nigeria supporting its foreign policy in Ukraine and Israel and in maintaining military presence in the West African region now that Wagner is emerging but it prefers a weak Nigeria that is prostate and begging for military bases from the US
There is no need to wake up.
We are not sleeping in the first place.
The dead Wagner?
I hope I have not been responding to a copy paste of an old opinion.

Now, back to the issue that confuses most of you guys in geopolitics.
To the US, you can be in the ally, enemy, asset, partner and neutral zone.
If you are not an ally or asset, you are never a priority.
Nigeria has never been a US ally. Just mere circumstantial partner and aid receiver.

Going by the 143 votes in favor of Ukraine while Russia got only 5 support in the UN vote,
the US does not need Nigeria's support.
It doesn't mean the 143 countries are US puppets, in fact some of them are not in good terms with the US.
They simply voted on principle since the other side offers them nothing too.

BTW, your "weak" Nigeria actually voted against Israel in the UN.
In fact, none of your so-called "weak" countries voted in favor of Israel.

I suppose the question you really wants to ask is why Nigeria does not
become "strong" by declaring itself an enemy of the US.
Unfortunately, it gains nothing by doing that and there is even possibility of a worse outcome
due to how dependent the country is on western loans and remittance for fx.

Maybe the Russians will move in if we cozy up to them.
But what value do you have to offer Russia?
Russia can't even help Nigeria's precarious economic situation.
And the Chinese don't do charity, just business.

Their is no sentiment in Geopolitics, you are either useful or you are not.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 8:30pm On Jan 28
ivolt:

Blinken will be a fool to promote any other thing apart from America's interest.
When it aligns with another country's goal, then it could bring great ROI just like the case of South Korea.
I hope you don't believe that any other powerful country does anything that does not align with their interest?

I don't know where this is driving at but it is irrelevant to Nigeria.

What's this I am reading?
Blinken did not remove fuel subsidy.
He didn't write the "subsidy is gone" speech. He didn't get the accolades for taking a "bold" decision
that other coward president couldn't take.

Was there a written or oral agreement somewhere between Tinubu and the US government
on fuel subsidy?
The entitlement is awkward.
Before you mention World bank or IMF, those are banks whose sole aim is to promote
the interest of their major shareholders US and the west. Whatever advice they give is self-serving.
So is BRICS which was founded to promote the interest of largest shareholders, China and Russia.

When all your newspapers, academics, columnists, politicians and even market women blame all Nigeria's
woes on corruption, then Blinken is merely echoing what the populace believe.
Even unrelated issues are blamed on corruption. Whenever corruption is mentioned,
the average Nigerian's rationality fly out of the window.

Yes, he does, because it aligns with US interest.
Nothing to see here.

Democracy is not an ATM used to withdraw "American investment".
In fact, American investment is a misnomer.
The US government does not invest. It provides reconstruction loan
or general aid that's all.
If you want American investment, the people to convince are the private sector
not Blinken or Biden.

Here we go again with conspiratorial thinking.
US already have an unofficial military base in Nigeria located in Borno state. UK has one there too.
If US wants a military base, it will get it with no sweat.
These are some other "weak" countries with US military bases.
Germany, South Korea, UK, Singapore and Japan to list a few.

Sisi is a democratically elected president.
The coup is old news.
Egypt is getting investment because it is an asset and it is a stable country.

There is no need to wake up.
We are not sleeping in the first place.
The dead Wagner?
I hope I have not been responding to a copy paste of an old opinion.

Now, back to the issue that confuses most of you guys in geopolitics.
To the US, you can be in the ally, enemy, asset, partner and neutral zone.
If you are not an ally or asset, you are never a priority.
Nigeria has never been a US ally. Just mere circumstantial partner and aid receiver.

Going by the 143 votes in favor of Ukraine while Russia got only 5 support in the UN vote,
the US does not need Nigeria's support.
It doesn't mean the 143 countries are US puppets, in fact some of them are not in good terms with the US.
They simply voted on principle since the other side offers them nothing too.

BTW, your "weak" Nigeria actually voted against Israel in the UN.
In fact, none of your so-called "weak" countries voted in favor of Israel.

I suppose the question you really wants to ask is why Nigeria does not
become "strong" by declaring itself an enemy of the US.
Unfortunately, it gains nothing by doing that and there is even possibility of a worse outcome
due to how dependent the country is on western loans and remittance for fx.

Maybe the Russians will move in if we cozy up to them.
But what value do you have to offer Russia?
Russia can't even help Nigeria's precarious economic situation.
And the Chinese don't do charity, just business.

Their is no sentiment in Geopolitics, you are either useful or you are not.
Thanks for your comments
You come across as abrasive and confrontational
I don't think there is any scope for me to engage you politely
So let us leave it at that
I hope others find your contributions useful
Peace
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 9:08pm On Jan 28
WHAT ARE THE PRACTICAL STEPS WE SHOULD TAKE
1. Reevaluate our relationship with America and others to understand advantages and disadvantages.
2. Not just America but every relationship e.g OPEC, Should we join BRICS etc
3. Nigeria's military posture should not allow us to be dependent on the US for weapons. We should learn from India. We must aim to sanction proof our country and elected officials. E.g Tinubu's private visit to France,ditto Buhari is wrong. We need to strengthen our health institutions and universities so that our senior politicians and civil servants use our own facilities
4. China is our biggest trading partner we should reflect that in our foreign policy
5. Tinubu needs to send a signal that he is not taking sides against Russia.
6. We need to repair our relationship with Niger, we need to have one currency in ECOWAS and work with Russia to build Nuclear power stations in Niger that we benefit from. Trade with ECOWAS must expand.
7. We need to understand the Politics of Electricity. Neither the USA or Germany will help us get electricity.
It is not in their interest
8. We should permanently scrap plans to pipe gas to Europe we should only pipe gas to Nigeria and ECOWAS. Let us understand any such pipeline is a pipeline of jobs. Why should we export Jobs in a pipeline.
What do they use that gas to do in Europe that cannot be done in West Africa. If we sell gas to them for one Euro they will produce goods with it and sell it back to us for 10 Euro we will buy money we borrow from them.
Our relationship with the USA should be respectful but realistic. They are not friends and hopefully not enemies let us not have any foolish expectations
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by courage89(m): 9:35pm On Jan 28
aribisala0:

He was asked a question. Why is it that the scale of help available to Ukraine is no where near what Nigeria has received.

I agree with you, the west need Nigeria that’s weak on different fronts because they benefit on the long run. This is not limited to military base alone, on other areas like: our markets that remains dumping ground for goods and services, our currency that keeps depreciating everyday, our debt that keeps growing on a daily basis.

Devaluation / weak currency leads to high inflationary economy. High inflationary economy leads to high interest rates/ high cost of funds for businesses and the economy. All these factors leads to a de-industrialized economy. A de-industrialized economy makes our economy to be a continuous dumping ground for goods and services from America and the West in it’s entirety.

Can anybody explain (not speculate) why Naira continues on this downward trajectory when Nigeria continue to run surplus balance of payments. Why is it still on this downward trajectory when about 50% of our foreign exchange demand for petroleum products is going to be eliminated due to Dangote Refinery production.

Nigeria needs to get its acts together in all ramifications, not only for Nigerians alone but for the entire African continent. A prosperous Nigeria will set the tone of what’s possible for other African nations to follow suit. We cannot continue to be a puppet of the west without tangible progress to show for it.
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 9:47pm On Jan 28
courage89:

I agree with you, the west need Nigeria that’s weak on different fronts because they benefit on the long run. This is not limited to military base alone, on other areas like: our markets that remains dumping ground for goods and services, our currency that keeps depreciating everyday, our debt that keeps growing on a daily basis.

Devaluation / weak currency leads to high inflationary economy. High inflationary economy leads to high interest rates/ high cost of funds for businesses and the economy. All these factors leads to a de-industrialized economy. A de-industrialized economy makes our economy to be a continuous dumping ground for goods and services from America and the West in it’s entirety.

Can anybody explain (not speculate) why Naira continues on this downward trajectory when Nigeria continue to run surplus balance of payments. Why is it still on this downward trajectory when about 50% of our foreign exchange demand for petroleum products is going to be eliminated due to Dangote Refinery production.

Nigeria needs to get its acts together in all ramifications, not only for Nigerians alone but for the entire African continent. A prosperous Nigeria will set the tone of what’s possible for other African nations to follow suit. We cannot continue to be a puppet of the west without tangible progress to show for it.

Specifically with the dollar
We have to look at Buhari

Tinubu is covering him
It seems that Buhari has already sold oil at a discount that is still in the ground and spent the money which has been looted. So even oil being produced tomorrow Buhari has already collected the money.
Another thing is that the way Buhari went about his currency change programme woke many people with stolen money up. They have come to view the Naira as risky and they have much wealth
But we cannot blame government alone
Nigerians must look at themselves
We So much love imported stuff and hate everything Nigerian. There are consequences. Bitter truth We we not productive as a Nation.
We want nice things

On average we each produce less than $6 daily
So what exchange rate do we expect. Instead we go around with a sense of entitlement
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Dicado: 9:15pm On Jan 29
aribisala0:

Guy I am not desperate to have people comment on this thread and I prefer only those who are literate that can comprehend English to comment or let the thread be barren and ignored. Let it be that I am talking to myself
Who is advocating or suggesting that Nigeria should become an Islamic state?
Where did you get that?

So so politely beg you
Just go away and don't comment anymore

This is not a place for illiterates or dimwits
You're speaking your mind and naming yourself an illiterate with your meaningless, insensitive and senseless post.
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by aribisala0(m): 9:19pm On Jan 29
Dicado:
You're speaking your mind and naming yourself an illiterate with your meaningless, insensitive and senseless post.
Thank you
Re: Nigeria And Our Relationship With The US And The West by Dicado: 9:33pm On Jan 29
aribisala0:

Thank you
You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Is It True One Single Pure Water Sachet Is Now N50 In Lagos? / Maybe CBN Should Use USD Purchase To Mop Up Excess Liquidity / The Constitution Is An Obstacle To National Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.