Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) (13262 Views)

22 Persons Dead In Rivers After Drinking Local Gin, Eating Dog Meat / Five Confirmed Dead After Eating Dog Meat In Rivers / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 18, 2007
tongue tongue tongue any calabar or ondo here , wanna learn how to cook dog as food cuz my neighbours dog is always disturbing any with clue
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by niceuzor: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2007
shocked jayon lol u too funny oh?

anyway let's seat back, Relax & Calabar plp Speak
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 19, 2007
jayon:

tongue tongue tongue any calabar or ondo here , want to learn how to cook dog as food because my neighbours dog is always disturbing any with clue

Dog meat? tongue shocked undecided
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by mafolayomi(f): 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2007
Anyanmakan DOG MEAT of all meats?
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by drrionelli(m): 7:40pm On Dec 04, 2007
Well, it's not something that most people in the US have a taste for, but that doesn't mean it's not popular elsewhere.

What does dog taste like?
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by holythug(m): 7:42pm On Dec 04, 2007
na 404 b dat grin
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by ikamefa(f): 2:14am On Dec 05, 2007
why all this generalizations? tongue
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by atutupoyo(f): 1:47pm On Jan 24, 2008
Dog meat is very tasty especially when eaten with unripe plantain pottage and palm wine, its very nutritional. though I cant prepare it.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by TOYOSI20(f): 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2008
No way, , . , . . . shocked
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by snazzydawn(f): 12:07am On Aug 02, 2008
Okay, for the records, I do not eat dog meat but I have seen the way it is prepared so I think I can give the recipe a try here:

ingredients: chunks of dog meat undecided shocked

lots of pepper

onions

maggi

effirin leaves known as ntong leaves here in Akwa Ibom

salt to taste

blend the pepper, onions together and put into the meat. Add the maggi cubes and salt and then allow meat to steam till tender. Add the spice leaves(its usually very much cos of the strong flavour).

add a little water, allow to boil till the stock is quite thick. serve with palm wine.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by ifyalways(f): 3:03pm On Aug 02, 2008
i have eaten it but dont know how to prepare it embarassed
@Snazzy,thanks sha
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by snazzydawn(f): 6:30pm On Aug 03, 2008
you are welcome, Ify. Dog meat a.k.a 404 or J5 is not used for soup or stew or any other thing. It is enjoyed exclusively the way I described it, but it is also served with boiled ripe planatains. I had the opportunity of overcoming my disgust and tasting it this evening at a popular joint here in Uyo and I must confess it tastes good. It's not for the fainthearted, though. It takes some strongheartedness to actually eat dog. I was almost crying as I was eating it but I could not just stop for the life of me. I will not try it again abeg. I will stick to the meat I am used to!
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by AmakaOne(f): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2008
sweet Jesus!!! shocked

mans best friend with boiled plantain?
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by snazzydawn(f): 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2008
hmmm amaka, well, that is an irony of life
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by LondonCool(m): 11:56pm On Aug 10, 2008
The dogs are brought down from the pick-up van in a cage. One- by one each dog is snared out of the cage and hit on the back of the head with a pestle. When the dog is sub-conscious it is quickly killed. this method is preferred to the alternative of trying to fix a stick in between the mouth of the dog before killing it.

The dogs used are normally the local dogs (the one's you would normally call "Billy" or "whisky" in your neighbourhood).
The dog meat is then carefully cut up according to its marketing components. There are parts of the dog known as the Gear Box,Telephone wire,etc and they are under very high demand. Dog meat has lots of natural oil.After it has been cut up and diced into small chunky pieces it goes into a giant boiling pot (cauldron), Ntong leaf is added with lots of pepper and Ogogoro is normally added to the cooking. It is served with White rice (the stock of the dog meat serves as the sauce) or just with Unripe plantain and Palm wine. The meat is very very delicious and addictive.

Dog meat is also eaten in parts of  Plateau state (Birom) and in Southern Zaria (Kachia,Kagoro,Kanfanchan,etc) although they roast their Dog meat instead of cooking/boiling it the  Calabar way. Saturdays in Calabar is the main day Dog meat is being sold and lots of visitors do conquer their curiousity and demolish large portions of dog meat in various locations on a weekly basis.

3 Likes

Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by ifyalways(f): 12:59am On Aug 11, 2008
@londoncool,some parts of Urhobo and igbo land,do eat dog meat too wink
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by tpia: 2:39am On Aug 11, 2008
Dogs are friends, not food. cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by Nobody: 4:07am On Aug 11, 2008
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lipsrsealed
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by LondonCool(m): 11:33am On Aug 11, 2008
[.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by MrCrackles(m): 11:37am On Aug 11, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

ondo gurl, u sef dey chop dog?! grin how naw
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by tpia: 1:36pm On Aug 11, 2008
LondonCool:

That friendship ends in the pot for me. Cows are sacred and worshipped in India but eaten in other places. Thats why they say that "one man's meat, is another man's poison".

A cow can't protect you like a dog can. cheesy smiley

anyway, just my opinion sha. Some people don't eat snails either, but I do.

Some folks also eat horses, which imo, is just plain wrong.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by dudubobo1: 1:40pm On Aug 11, 2008
No man has a right to say what is right for another to eat in his own domain. Each to their own and nothing absolute about which animal is to be eaten and which is not.

That's why I hate those idiotic animal rights protesters who sometimes take their protests beyond their own borders.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by bluehorizo(m): 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Did you mean to write eewa (dog in Ibibio and efik) grin grin grin

Honestly,the first time i went to Uyo i ate eewa not knowing it was dog meat. It was only after the meal that i was told it was dog. I immediately threw up but na lie. Though it was so delicious and they prepared it in such an irresistible way. Pls beware when you go out to those places.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by omoge(f): 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2008
how do they remove the hair if it is not roasted? just curious
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by Nobody: 5:07am On Aug 12, 2008
Brash!:

ondo girl, u sef dey chop dog?! grin how naw
Ondo for where?
you dey confuse me wiv someone? angry angry

bluehorizo:

Did you mean to write eewa (dog in Ibibio and efik) grin grin grin

Honestly,the first time i went to Uyo i ate eewa not knowing it was dog meat. It was only after the meal that i was told it was dog. I immediately threw up but na lie. Though it was so delicious and they prepared it in such an irresistible way. Please beware when you go out to those places.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
You just ate a chihuahua or even worst, one of those dogs with rabies tongue
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by LondonCool(m): 10:52pm On Aug 12, 2008
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by idupaul: 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2008
chei shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by snazzydawn(f): 11:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
londoncool, we call it ewa in Uyo so he is correct.
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by LondonCool(m): 11:56pm On Aug 12, 2008
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by snazzydawn(f): 11:58pm On Aug 12, 2008
ado ok
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by TheJoker1(m): 10:31pm On Aug 13, 2008
my mouth is doing waterwater, but i don't know tongue
Re: How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) by fellybabe(f): 6:53am On Aug 16, 2008
whao

DOGS lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Introducing The Nines’ Newest Brand Ambassadors / Preparing Isi Ewu / How Do I Cook Pounded Yam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.