Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? (13360 Views)

Man Spotted Eating 20 Tubers Of Pounded Yam Alone (shocking Photo) / How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Who Is The King Of Nigeria Swallow? Eba, Akpu (Fufu), Amala Or Pounded Yam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by olabb: 2:42am On Apr 12, 2009
Hello fellow naira

How are you all doing? pls dnt mind me ask this question. I is jamaican heritage and i like to know how to cook pounded yam step by step. Well ive tried to teach myself which i had boiled the yam, crush it and use my hands to put it together and compress it. But its not sticking together and africa pounded yam more softer like creamish. So can i have some 1 to tell me step by step instruction how to cook it. Thanks to you all

Lion Rastafar eye

Olabb
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by DisGuy: 3:07am On Apr 12, 2009
olabb:

Hello fellow naira

How are you all doing? pls dnt mind me ask this question. I is jamaican heritage and i like to know how to cook pounded yam step by step. Well ive tried to teach myself which i had boiled the yam, crush it and use my hands to put it together and compress it. But its not sticking together and africa pounded yam more softer like creamish. So can i have some 1 to tell me step by step instruction how to cook it. Thanks to you all

Lion Rastafar eye

Olabb

LMAO, you have to pound it with mortar(wooden)

buy pound o' iyan from a local store if you are in the UK

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-41.0.html
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 4:16am On Apr 12, 2009
olabb:

Hello fellow naira

Lion Rastafar eye

Olabb
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed SHM
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by olabb: 2:56pm On Apr 12, 2009
Step by step instructions would be great, no joke!
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by vanitty: 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2009
Well the pounded yam I know, you need mortar & pestle.
boil the yam.
Do not add salt and when it is soft, get your mortar and pestle out , put the yam in one by one and pound, pound, pound,  until your desired result is acquired . You can sprinkle a bit of hot water while pounding.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by olabb: 7:47pm On Apr 12, 2009
Thank you for your reply. Can i know what is mortar and pestle? is it an ingredient? Kindly advise.Thank u
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by prittigrrr(f): 8:47pm On Apr 12, 2009
a mortar and pestle are cooking utensils. I'm American and can not think of anything like it in Jamaican cooking (I dont know enough abt Jamaican cooking) but it kind of looks like a deep bowl, made of stne or wood or something with a big club for pounding. I know u can find small versions in cooking stores.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Hauwa1: 10:52pm On Apr 12, 2009
crushing pounded yam with your hands? lipsrsealed kiss grin grin

well, you would need mortar, pestle, AC, oja and short nicker cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by ijeoma2619: 1:40am On Apr 13, 2009
lol @ crushing pounded yam with your hands,
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by ijeoma2619: 1:43am On Apr 13, 2009
abi na crushing boiled yams with your hands, save yourself the trouble and just buy powered pounded yam, u dont want to start pounding with a mortar and next thing u know ppolice will start knocking on your door for domestic disturbance.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by vanitty: 8:25am On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

crushing pounded yam with your hands? lipsrsealed kiss grin grin

well, you would need mortar, pestle, AC, oja and short nicker cheesy

hehehehe cheesy
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 14, 2009
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Davedavy: 8:12pm On Apr 15, 2009
better buy a yam pounder,we used to have one but i dont know where my mum got it from.all you need do is to peel the yam and put it in the punder,press the cook button,when it is cooked,it makes an alarm and you turn the pound button.before you know it your 'iyan' is ready.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Davedavy: 8:19pm On Apr 15, 2009
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by MrCrackles(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2009
Pounded yam on the travel section? shocked

Na wa ooo!
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 18, 2009
Depending on where you live, talk to Nigerians and they'll take you to a store that sells yam powder (ola ola). Some stores are online in the U.S so you can order yourself.
You don't need a mortar or pestle. Just boil water, add the powder and stir like you would, mashed potatoes.
It tastes just the same as the pounded yam prepared by peeling yam and pounding your life out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 18, 2009
//

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 19, 2009
chaircover:

I disagree - poundo yam made with yam flour does not taste the same as the one made in the mortar & pestle and I have tried plenty of different brands.

The texture is different and the taste is different.

I wonder if the mortar gives it a perculiar taste. Just like moinmoin made with leaves tastes different from moinmoin made in foil, tins or plastic take away containers.

Abegi, mortar and pestle poundo is so overated.
The difference is not enough for me to turn my triceps and biceps into that of schwarzeneger's just for food.
The powder one tastes good juh and is easy and fast to prepare. Even people in naija have started using it. If you have a party, yeah you can go the old fashioned way but for everyday cooking, ola ola is ur best friend.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 19, 2009
//
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 19, 2009
chaircover:

Are you saying you can't tell the difference between ola ola pounded yam made with hot water and pounded yam made the traditional way with mortar & Pestele?

Sure i can. It's only that the difference is not enough for me to turn my shoulders, biceps, and triceps into arnold schwarzennegers in the name of poundo.
Ola Ola makes the world go round. Who would have ever thought you could sneak out from work during lunch break, go home, make some poundo, eat it and still be back to work all under 30 minutes. Pounding using mortar and pestle alone takes 3hrs!!!! and you still have to factor in time to boil the yam.
For everyday meals, Ola Ola is ya best friend.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Hauwa1: 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2009
true, some of those packaged iyan taste  lipsrsealed ewww. some draw like lafun. i think they over mixed starch to it or so. some almost like normal poundo yam.

yet nothing like the true ' peeled yam, cut and cook, pour them into mortar when done, tie ya wrapper well and hit with a pestle kind of  poundo.

haven't tasted the ola ola poundo for a long time. not in a hurry cheesy
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by bsanya(f): 12:43pm On Apr 28, 2009
Step 1- peel ur yam
Step 2 - put the yam inside a pot and add water (Cook till when the yam is done)
Step 3 - wash ur mortal and pestle
Step 4 - put the yam inside the mortal and pound with ur pestle 4 a while till it bcoms smooth
Step 5 - add little hot water to make it softer (to your taste)

pack inside a plate and serve with soup of ur choice.
All the best
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by tpiah: 3:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
and people ask why black women are confrontational?

If you dont have aggro and stamina you cant pound yam!

who will eat watery pounded yam, or lumpy one due to sme sme(weak) pounding?
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by selencious(f): 5:24pm On Feb 12, 2010
tpiah:

and people ask why black women are confrontational?

If you dont have aggro and stamina you cant pound yam!

who will eat watery pounded yam, or lumpy one due to sme sme(weak) pounding?
Very True!!
olabb:

Thank you for your reply. Can i know what is mortar and pestle? is it an ingredient? Kindly advise.Thank u

Re u really a Jamaican or just making up a story?. Now, mortar and pestle is an ENGLISH word known by most people, suprised u think its an ingredient. Anyways, I hope uve learnt how to pound it. Good luck
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by mamagee3(f): 7:31pm On Feb 12, 2010
Check online for a current and correct recipe,
Or look on google, I guarantee you, you'll find one there.
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by MrCrackles(m): 8:24pm On Feb 12, 2010
olabb:

Hello fellow naira

Lion Rastafar eye

Olabb
Dont even bother. . . .
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by ayettymama(f): 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2010
just buy yam powder

its soo easy to make as well
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by mubaraqqq(f): 10:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
Pounded yam is a good source of energy; 100 g provides 118 calories. It mainly composed of complex carbohydrates and soluble dietary fiber. I love pounded yam so much grin and I get good quality Pounded yam flour from http://www.africanshop.shikenan.com/african-food/african-flours-african-food-store-online/pounded-yam-2lbs-by-loty
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by Tizylove(f): 8:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
[quote author=olabb]Hello fellow naira

Lion Rastafar eye

Instead of using your hand to mash it,try using a food processor or blender
Re: How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? by thweraja10: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
for Nigerians looking for yam in the US, you can get your ingredients here http://www.nigerianfoods.com/search?type=product&q=Yam

(1) (Reply)

Coca-cola Halts Production As Co2 Shortage Affects Soft Drinks / How To Cook Dog Meat For Soup(strictly Calabar And Ondo) / Do You Lick Your Plate/soup After Eating ? Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.