Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,291 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer (18212 Views)

Retired NSCDC DCG, Shem Obafiaye, Patented The “My Oga At The Top” / NSCDC Promotes Shem Obafiaye To Deputy Commandant-General / Photo Of Iliya Ibrahim Achukwu, NSCDC Officer Killed At Kuje Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Thevideoguy: 8:53am On Jan 30
Viral officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Shem Obafaiye whose interview with Channels TV in 2013 brought about the popular phrase ‘My Oga at the top,’ said he patented the slogan after it went viral.

He said this during a recent interview on Channels TV’s morning program Sunrise Daily where he recounted his experience when his interview on the same station went viral for the wrong reasons 10 years ago.

Origin Of ‘Oga At The Top’ Slogan
In 2014, during a Channels TV‘s morning program Sunrise Daily, Obafaiye, then the Lagos State Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps was interviewed on the need to know the correct website of the corps to avoid misleading job seekers. His response would later attract nationwide attention, leading to a popular phrase that is now used in daily conversations in pidgin English.

On the interview, Obafaiye was asked, “What is the website of the NSCDC?” And he responded, “I cannot categorically tell you one now.” He was asked again, “Do you mean that NSCDC has multiple websites?” He responded, “We can’t have multiple websites but I cannot tell you one now, and my Oga at the top say is another one and the one we are going to make use of will be made known by my Oga at the top.” Many Nigerians considered his response inappropriate and it went viral

The phrase became very popular and is often used in pidgin English to designate anyone with higher authority in Nigeria till date.

On Tuesday, December 19, 2023, ten years after the interview that went viral, Obafaiye Shem made a return to Channels TV’s morning program, Sunrise Daily, but this time, in mufti.

According to Obafaiye, he appeared on the program in mufti because he had retired from active duty. He also disclosed that his wife patented the “My Oga at the Top” slogan with Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry, and added that he would demand for money from anyone who used it without an permission from him.

He admitted that he had psychological traumas when the interview went viral. He also admitted that many years after, he watches and laughs over the 2013 interview.

Shem Obafaiye Promoted

The week before the return interview, Obafaiye was promoted and decorated as Deputy Commandant-General of the NSCDC. This promotion came after he had retired.

When asked why he was promoted after retirement, he attributed it to the will of God.
https://reportafrique.com/news/metro/my-oga-at-the-top-slogan-shem-obafaiye-nscdc/

8 Likes

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Dreal1247: 8:57am On Jan 30
This man has become a celebrity for this single error. Unfortunately, he will find it extremely difficult to gain his confidence in any public gathering.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 9:04am On Jan 30
Who brought the Phrase NO GREE FOR ANYBODY 🤣

7 Likes

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Mynd44: 9:50am On Jan 30
YinkaOlusesi16:
Who brought the Phrase NO GREE FOR ANYBODY 🤣
Yul Edochie

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by crossfm: 9:52am On Jan 30
Hehehe.

This man that year,how time flies.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by olisaEze(m): 9:52am On Jan 30
"When asked why he was promoted after retirement, he attributed it to the will of God."

Yeah, that's the real Oga kpata-kpata at the top! Baba God, You too much!!🙌 grin

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by abobote: 9:52am On Jan 30
This man exposed everything wrong with Nigeria.
After watching the interview, you will begin to wonder how he made it to the top

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Josnac(m): 9:53am On Jan 30
People elsewhere are patenting serious innovations but we're in Nigeria, Na cruise we dey patent!

This man goofed on national television, but because we're too shameless in Nigeria, he went to patent "My oga at the top".

Lawrence Alabi got messed up in a football game and while people laughed, he quickly went to patent "Airlabi".

Oh, and before I forget, the "Elluu Pee 75" guy also patented!!

One day we will wake up and hear that the Nigerian police has patented "Oga park".

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by laivwire(m): 9:53am On Jan 30
Patenting rubbish. We abuse every concept in Africa

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by metaluterus(f): 9:54am On Jan 30
Not again

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by ocheketurah: 9:54am On Jan 30
We are recruiting to fill the position below:

Job Title: Senior Accountant

Employment Type: Full-time

Qualification: Minimum of Bsc. or HND in Accountancy or any related field
(Member of ICAN is an added advantage)

Experience: 1-2 years

How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume to blessing.adisa@standardpracticeprofessional.com using the Job Tite as the subject of the mail

N:B Candidates should reside within Egbeda, Ikotun and it's environs.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by ManspaceBarber(m): 9:54am On Jan 30
Really great move. If I were him, I would build a personal brand around it. Write books, make podcast, video series and merchandise with it.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by UHLmoving: 9:54am On Jan 30
He cash out with am
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Fatbam005: 9:55am On Jan 30
In a sane country, he would have been thoroughly drilled.

2 Likes

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Sonnobax15(m): 9:55am On Jan 30
lipsrsealed
Corruption langua
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by money121(m): 9:56am On Jan 30
Ok
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Danisaint112(m): 9:56am On Jan 30
The one wey dey sweet my belle now na "NO GREE FOR ANYBODY!"

Nwabili should heal fast (my prayer). That keeper gives some kind of confidence to the super eagles.

As far as the 11 man Squad set, Angola go confirm us.
"WE NO GO GREE FOR ANYBODY!"

1 Like

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:56am On Jan 30
Let's Transform your space.

Tv console.

Contact on signature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by grandstar(m): 10:00am On Jan 30
My superior officer would have been more appropriate

2 Likes

Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by jnig: 10:01am On Jan 30
Demanding payment from *anyone who uses it* is that how patents work?? Maybe his wife didn't tell him the usages that can fetch money
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Dididrumz(m): 10:02am On Jan 30
You try
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Blitzking: 10:04am On Jan 30
abobote:
This man exposed everything wrong with Nigeria.
After watching the interview, you will begin to wonder how he made it to the top
By being loyal to his Oga at the top even if he had to look stupid in front of national TV.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Otulented: 10:06am On Jan 30
You be dullard oga, people like you, are not supoosed to be in the force.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Cmanforall: 10:07am On Jan 30
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by bigdammyj: 10:08am On Jan 30
Noted.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by hakym619(m): 10:08am On Jan 30
how can i get politician favor / recommendation in Nigeria ? Can a kind person link me up ?

sad sad sad sad

My position in the state civil service is vacant but my submission have been repeatedly snubbed even though I'm qualified.
Re: I Patented ‘My Oga At The Top’ Slogan - Shem Obafaiye, Viral NSCDC Officer by Frankofor10: 10:08am On Jan 30
Shameless and funny man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things You Must Know About The Nigerian Presidency / 2019: MASSOB Threatens To Stop Election In South East, Kogi, Benue / Gbajabiamila Visit To Ghana Already Yielding Results - NIDO Ghana Chapter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.