Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,767 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued (18279 Views)

"I Foresaw Kidnapping, Herdsmen Menace" – Fayose / I Supported Buhari’s Re-election, Because I Foresaw His Victory ― Obiano / Avengers Adopt Atiku, Threaten A Crumbled Economy If Election Is Rigged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by tp2philike(m): 2:18pm On Jan 30
Buhari was busy subsidizing the naira to the benefit of his Fulani brothers that milked the CBN. We are seeing the actual value of the naira against international currencies no thanks to bad leaders. Tinubu should have encouraged local producers before floating the naira.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by boxypane(m): 2:18pm On Jan 30
The only thing Buhari forsaw was the end of his tenure, that man is a jack of no trade and master of none.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by qtx(m): 2:18pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:
A lot of Nigerians still believe that Buhari failed woefully while a few of us think differently.

Here is a portion of an interview where the former president refused to bow to IMF in their call for him to devalue the local currency alluding t what could be the consequences of such action. Despite all the challenges his government faced, he managed to leave the naira at around N600 to a dollar in May 2023.

Fast forward to seven months after his exit, our currency has plummeted against the dollar to around N1450 on the back of devaluation, recording new low on daily basis. As a result, inflation, insecurity and other vices are on the increase to the extent that no one can predict how the current vicious cycle would end.

Surely, the man Buhari is too patriotic for Nigerians. We most times do not know our true friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJXtpILkFE?feature=shared
Do you know why you are bringing Buhrai's interview and Nigerians will even view it? because BAT my boi is doing worse than he(Buhari) did. If BAT my boi was doing better, people would get angry when you talk about buhari. And don't come here and think you will paint Buhari as a genius. The fall of Nigeria started with him. BAT, my boi, is only here to complete what Buhari started. They are birds of identical plumage congregating in the same political domain and leadership. If you need to quote me, then think twice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by ivandrag0n: 2:19pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:
A lot of Nigerians still believe that Buhari failed woefully while a few of us think differently.

Here is a portion of an interview where the former president refused to bow to IMF in their call for him to devalue the local currency alluding t what could be the consequences of such action. Despite all the challenges his government faced, he managed to leave the naira at around N600 to a dollar in May 2023.

Fast forward to seven months after his exit, our currency has plummeted against the dollar to around N1450 on the back of devaluation, recording new low on daily basis. As a result, inflation, insecurity and other vices are on the increase to the extent that no one can predict how the current vicious cycle would end.

Surely, the man Buhari is too patriotic for Nigerians. We most times do not know our true friends.

Stop exposing crass ignorance with posts of this nature.

Do you think nations just peg their currencies off the cuff? Aren’t you aware that they peg their currencies and then use their reserves to defend it?

President Buhari meant well but his government borrowed so much that Nigeria would have become bankrupt with two more years of his in power.

He was just a good-hearted President who meant well but knew next to nothing about the key economic impacts of that policy.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Itzlinda(f): 2:19pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:

You don't know economic.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Angelfrost(m): 2:19pm On Jan 30
rayopt:

A country with little or no laws cannot have effective regulatory systems. Nigeria has many related problems oooo. Let's not act like this dollar thing is the only one. Me I don't even envy anyone that wants to be president.

My own point is, rather than youths to continue complaining, they can take advantage of the naira fall and look for ways (legit ways) to earn dollars.

You have said everything on my mind...!

That's why I don't for once believe most of these people fighting to become President have the slightest clue how to make this nation better.

They just want to mark attendance in Aso Rock.

Case in point, the 'French' man currently there.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by happney65: 2:21pm On Jan 30
" Your salaries will not be paid in dollars" so says a so called presidential candidate

We ain't seen nothing yet

This is the Beginning!
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Greenback: 2:24pm On Jan 30
Emusan:

Nothing to check, you can confirm rather!
That's omenka for you..he's hates Jonathan with passion and can never see anything wrong whatsoever with buhari
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by solmusdesigns: 2:26pm On Jan 30
Devil1Messenger:

ur point is senseless
the effect of all these is that what u bought 600 when dollars was 600, is more than double now.

Unintelligent analogy... I shop daily . What changed
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Ibrahimcoomasie: 2:26pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:

It wasn't sustainable padding the naira i.e subsidizing it so that rich people can get us dollars for cheap.

On Arise News TV today 👇

Ibrahimcoomasie:
Our problem with debt is connected with our subsidy spending and issues with FX liquidity. The decision to liberalize the FX market is a step in the right direction, Nigeria cannot afford to defend the Naira like we have done in the past. We should see the stability of the Naira by the middle of the year.

Patience is needed as the naira find it's level.

- Sam Abu, Country Senior Partner, PwC Nigeria,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIoV6gKH1GA?si=CxbeQbD-cOsnJOiA

1 Like

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by solmusdesigns: 2:27pm On Jan 30
dettolgel:

Really where do you produce phone in Nigeria?
Where do you produce motorcycle?
Where do you produce material used in producing the clothes you are putting on?
I forgot which company produces electronics in Nigeria?
The tires for your car even your means of transportation?
Bro the list of endless.

They get forex from CBN using proforma invoice
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Lovit(m): 2:33pm On Jan 30
Anything APC touches is destroyed, Buhari and Tinubu are both useless

By the time Tinubu is done, Naira will be shaking hands with N5,000 to a dollar
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Greenback: 2:34pm On Jan 30
Error401:
I dont know if the figure is right or wrong. but dollar was only about 216 in GEJ and ended at 700 with Buhari, its now 1462 on Binance at the moment, almost 1500. Whatever he wrote may not be accurate but absolutely true.
You are so easily deceived. The op only based his calculations on the performance of Tinubu so far.
If he was sincere,why didn't he base it on the performance of his predecessors?
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Anatolia: 2:34pm On Jan 30
solmusdesigns:
cool

My question is would you as a Dollar earning freelancer rather sell your had earned dollar for 1300 or for 600

Which favors you

As a Yahoo boy, will you rather trade your gift card for 1300 or 600

As a Nigerian in Diaspora, will you rather send your family building your house at 1300 or 600

Let's not decieve ourselves, Nigeria produces everything we use, only that it's fake and substandard

When people have this kind of mentality, it is not a surprise that the country is drowning. You prefer to sabotage the economy affecting more than a 100 million people for personal gain,

1 Like

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by solmusdesigns: 2:35pm On Jan 30
Anatolia:

When people have this kind of mentality, it is not a surprise that the country is drowning. You prefer to sabotage the economy affecting more than a 100 million people for personal gain,

Your own assumption as a typical Blackman

I know you like your rice and cheap food
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by SisterAnn(f): 2:35pm On Jan 30
solmusdesigns:
cool

My question is would you as a Dollar earning freelancer rather sell your had earned dollar for 1300 or for 600

Which favors you

As a Yahoo boy, will you rather trade your gift card for 1300 or 600

As a Nigerian in Diaspora, will you rather send your family building your house at 1300 or 600

Let's not decieve ourselves, Nigeria produces everything we use, only that it's fake and substandard

Heads or tails, you can never win.

A car that was sold for 2m when dollar was 300 now sells for 7m.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by solmusdesigns: 2:37pm On Jan 30
SisterAnn:
Heads or tails, you can never win.

A car that was sold for 2m when dollar was 300 now sells for 7m.

Go through Cuba economic policy and North Korea

You can produce cars locally, maintenance is key and grow
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by SisterAnn(f): 2:38pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:

Probably the proverbial bad clock that's correct twice a day. Buhari is the worst thing to happen to Nigeria in all it's spheres of existence.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by yewit37486: 2:38pm On Jan 30
This one has resurrected his old account to resume political "work". LOL.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by SisterAnn(f): 2:39pm On Jan 30
solmusdesigns:

Go through Cuba economic policy and North Korea

You can produce cars locally, maintenance is key and grow
Let's be able to grow what we eat sufficiently and affordably before talking about producing cars.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Moniya4Real(m): 2:41pm On Jan 30
I thin the fact is- they all perform woefully but at different levels. Take it back to former years and check out how much dollar was back then. Even Abacha would be a saint compared to the latter crop of leaders

Emusan:

And the same few didn't think differently when GEJ was there.

dollar only increased about 35% throughout GEJ while the same Buhari you unpatriotic and the real enemies of Nigeria( yet claiming to be the most patriotic and lover of Nigeria) think differently for increased dollar with whooping 247%

So if the man Buhari is too patriotic for Nigerians with an increment of over 240%, what will you call GEJ who held dollar under 40% increment?
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by solmusdesigns: 2:43pm On Jan 30
SisterAnn:
Let's be able to grow what we eat sufficiently and affordably before talking about producing cars.

No control is self sufficient, that's an illusion.. we need international trade

Nigeria can't compete with Thailand producing rice

Thailand can't compete with Nigeria in Palm oil or casava starch
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Greenback: 2:43pm On Jan 30
qtx:

Do you know why you are bringing Buhrai's interview and Nigerians will even view it? because BAT my boi is doing worse than he(Buhari) did.

If BAT my boi was doing better, people would get angry when you talk about buhari. And don't come here and think you will paint Buhari as a genius. The fall of Nigeria started with him. BAT, my boi, is only here to complete what Buhari started. They are birds of identical plumage congregating in the same political domain and leadership. If you need to quote me, then think twice.

I thought I was the only one.
Btw,op is the omenka guy, a diehard buharist and hater of GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by 12345baba(m): 2:45pm On Jan 30
Buhari saw nothing
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by greatman247(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30
LibertyRep:
The Naira is in a free fall.

...and they said this man is a master strategist.

Tinubu is most dullard and clueless president Nigeria ever had. Even buhari that we all thought was a fool is wiser than Tinubu.

Tinubu is an overhype polical player. He and his supporters are ITK. (I too know). Funny enough his supporters always think he knows it all but in the real sense he knows nothing. Before and during election he started screaming EMILOKAN without preparing for the task ahead. He thinks to rule Nigeria na child's play. He viewed Nigeria as same as Lagos.
Now reality have set in.

To all idiots that still believe in him and waiting for him to turn things around.... You will wait till eternity. Cos this man is confused and complete dullard and clueless. He went to school but not by school. He is a known criminal and surrounded himself with bunch of thieves that does not have the genuine Interest of Nigeria at heart. He appoints people due to reward loyal friends and not competent thereby his government will surely suffer for it.

Go through all my writes up from way back, you will realize I stopped supporting him even before elections cos I knew he can't deliver but while I was talking people criticize me a lot now look at where we are now. Nigeria must suffer for bringing this idiot as president.

As long Tinubu and APC are in power Nigeria can never move forward because the foundation of APC is based on lies. They run govt of scam, govt of we will do it. LoL.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Professor822714: 2:55pm On Jan 30
Yeah right! And he also foresaw the massive looting and corruption he allowed under his hopeless administration!
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by femi4: 2:58pm On Jan 30
PassingShot:

They all failed....they just have different ratings

There is no difference between 1% and 5%
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by sulaak(m): 3:02pm On Jan 30
Emusan:

And the same few didn't think differently when GEJ was there.

dollar only increased about 35% throughout GEJ while the same Buhari you unpatriotic and the real enemies of Nigeria( yet claiming to be the most patriotic and lover of Nigeria) think differently for increased dollar with whooping 247%

So if the man Buhari is too patriotic for Nigerians with an increment of over 240%, what will you call GEJ who held dollar under 40% increment?

The reason why Nigeria's currency is in freefall is due to the low productivity of the country.

GEJ should have listened to his senior ministers and removed oil subsidies in 2012. Fix the refineries and build new refineries. He should also sort out the insecurity in the Niger-Delta

Buhari should have removed oil subsidies in 2016 and sorted out the insecurity that has hindered the country's productivity.

The currency had to be floated. The country had less than $3.7 billion in reserve, an external debt of $51 billion, and a very low export of under 700,000; how can you support a currency with no resources

The Buhari government was a disaster.

A combination of foreign exchange forwards, securities lending, currency swaps, and outstanding contracts has weakened Nigeria's net external reserves to an all-time low of $3.7 billion as of the end of last year, according to JP Morgan.22 Aug 2023
https://businessday.ng/news/article/jp-morgans-shock-reveal-puts-nigerias-fx-reserves-at-3bn/#:~:text=A%20combination%20of%20foreign%20exchange,year%2C%20according%20to%20JP%20Morgan.

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Bolingua1: 3:02pm On Jan 30
Emusan:

Presently, Tinubu is already at 94% increment in less than 9months. Thou, the certificate forger can't take it to 1000%.
Your calculations isn't correct, you can't use percentage increase. Use inflationary increase, then you would know how destructive Tinubu has been on Nigeria economy.. Anything above #1500 to a Dollars, Nigeria can't survive it..You would soon see what would happen lm
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by SisterAnn(f): 3:03pm On Jan 30
solmusdesigns:

No control is self sufficient, that's an illusion.. we need international trade

Nigeria can't compete with Thailand producing rice

Thailand can't compete with Nigeria in Palm oil or casava starch
True.
Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Tochi360: 3:05pm On Jan 30
rayopt:
This thing is difference of ideology, which is normal in politics all around the world.

Buhari is a conservative. He prefer slow growth in the form of defend the naira, while slowly encouraging local production and ending importation. The naira was stable but didn't we see the negative effects of this on importation?

Tinubu is a progressive. He prefers radical change for long-term benefits. He did not limit importation but allows naira to compete freely on international market. Local producers will gain but consumers of international products will continue to suffer. Unfortunately, most of us consume so much international products.

Any which way, it is a long ride and I hate to criticize anybody because I honestly don't have the answers to Nigeria problems. Most of yall don't. Una only sabi to complain. One thing I know is this: any smart person who earn some dollar, farm majority of his food, and reduce buying international products will live like a king right now.

In politics, between the ideological standing of a person and the political structure they stand with, which should We place priority to?

As a political party the only ideology the evil Apc structure of suffering and insecurity have is to grab power from pdp and keep it at all cost, nothing more,nothing less.

This men only gathered to pull down pdp,no plans to sort out the problems of Nigeria anywhere.

Imagine featuring same bubu we all know to fix the economic problems of Nigeria grin
Is that not a joke,now they have brought bubu"s pro max to finish off the economy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Foresaw What Would Happen To The Naira And The Economy If He Devalued by Emusan(m): 3:10pm On Jan 30
Moniya4Real:

I thin the fact is- they all perform woefully but at different levels. Take it back to former years and check out how much dollar was back then. Even Abacha would be a saint compared to the latter crop of leaders

That's not true.

How to know, if Buhari should maintain the increment with just 50% of what GEJ left, dollar will be around 300 to naira when he left.

So previous governments maintained just two digits increment only Buhari took it to three digits.

Whatever the previous governments did to maintain 2digits means they did well than Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N30bn Fund: How Fear Of Impeachment Forced Akpabio To Apologise To Governors / FG Will Rescue Chibok Girls Before May 29 – Dasuki / Fuel Scarcity To Continue Till February 2016 - The Sun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.