Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Real Estate Buyers C Of O Doesn't Guarantee Safety In Property Transaction - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Real Estate Buyers C Of O Doesn't Guarantee Safety In Property Transaction (61 Views)

Do I Need A Lawyer For A Property Transaction? / Instead Of Buying Car. Pls Invest In Property.call 08069253261 for your building / The Right Real Estate Conveyancing Service Will Makes Your Property Transaction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Real Estate Buyers C Of O Doesn't Guarantee Safety In Property Transaction by PrimeWeb(m): 4:29pm On Jan 30
Real Estate Buyers Beware:

C of O Doesn't Guarantee Safety in Property Transactions.

I've emphasized that merely possessing a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for a property, whether land or building, doesn't guarantee its safety for purchase.

It's ironic that buyers, upon spotting a property with a C of O, often neglect to conduct due diligence on it.

Whether a land has a C of O or not, it's crucial to carry out due diligence by engaging a property verification expert, typically your property lawyer.

Surprisingly, there are numerous cases in Nigeria where a person with a C of O had their land taken by the court and given to another person without a C of O because the latter had a stronger root of title.

A C of O doesn't rectify a property defect. For instance, if you buy a property from a scoundrel who falsely claims to be the owner, and then you proceed to obtain a C of O, the true owner can still reclaim the property from you, even with your C of O.

Let me share a true-life story: I can't remember the names of the parties involved, hence, I would use A, B C as their names.

A family land was divided among its members; with each members having their own portion of land.

One of the members of the family then sold his own land to A.

The family being dubious, and knowing that the owner of the land has sold it to A, then went ahead to sell the same land to another man, who I will refer to as B.

After some years, B sold it to C.

C smartly did a survey and obtained a C of O. The issue that came up was who is the true owner of the land.

Was it Mr A who first bought the land or Mr C who has a C of O.

The case found its way to court and A was pronounced the rightful owner of land even though C was the person with a Certificate of Occupancy.

Even if a property has a C of O, verify through your property verification experts to avoid losing both your money and your land just like C did.

Does that mean you shouldn't apply for a C of O?

By all means, do.

A C of O is important and solidifies your interest in a property.

Follow me for more educational contents

(1) (Reply)

24 Plots Of Fenced Land For Sale In Epe For #120m / Why You Should Buy Land In Epe Lagos NOW! / Interlocking Paving Stones Services In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.