Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,011 members, 7,810,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary (23330 Views)

Diri: Don't Provoke Us To Abandone Creek - MEND Warns Sahara Reporters, Adeyanju / 2019 Poll: Atiku Meets Wike Ahead Of Campaign Kick Off / I Have Forgiven You, But You Have To Mend Your International Image~Obj To Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by emkz: 11:00am On Jan 31
Godwin Obaseki, governor of Edo state, met with Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), in Abuja Tuesday night to enlist his support for Asue Ighodalo’s governorship bid, TheCable understands.

Ighodalo is seeking the governorship ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo state in the February 22, 2024 primary election.

The meeting took place at Wells Carlton Hotel, Abuja, and was attended by Ahmadu Fintiri, governor of Adamawa state, who came with Obaseki.

RECONCILIATION MOVE

TheCable understands that Obaseki's peace moves were informed by the reality of a strong opposition from Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, a former member of the house of reps and the preferred candidate of Dan Orbih, Wike's key ally in Edo state.

There is also the challenge from Philip Shaibu, the current deputy governor.

Although Ighodalo has expressed confidence in winning the party’s ticket, going into the primary against Ogbeide-Ihama and Shaibu is viewed in Obaseki’s camp as a delicate game.

At the meeting with Wike, Obaseki was said to have sought "reconciliation" and apologised for previous misunderstanding between them.

Ighodalo would be willing to pick Ogbeide-Ihama as his running mate, according to the deal offered by Obaseki.

Wike reportedly told him point-blank that he would not have any dealings with him as he is not known to have kept faith with anyone that assisted him in the past.

The former governor of Rivers state demanded a "level-playing field so that most acceptable candidate can win", sources in the know told TheCable.

THE BACKGROUND

Obaseki fell out with Wike in 2020 shortly after defecting to the PDP from the All Progressives Congress (APC) and securing his new party’s governorship ticket to run for second term.

He had left the APC after a face-off with Adams Oshiomhole, who decided to back Ize Iyamu, formerly of the PDP, in the 2020 governorship election.

Obaseki won his re-election bid but fell out with Wike thereafter.

In the presidential primary of the PDP ahead of the 2023 general election, Obaseki backed Abubakar Atiku against Wike for the ticket.

After Atiku controversially won the presidential primary, Wike led a group of five governors, named G5, to work against the party's candidate.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-obaseki-moves-to-mend-fences-with-wike-ahead-of-edo-guber-primary/amp

10 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by jkpbestseries: 11:03am On Jan 31
Hahahaha..... Na. Now day break for that nigga. Wike will exploit every means to deal with him.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 11:03am On Jan 31
Nothing Concern Nigerians with all this, make una just make things come down.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by emkz: 11:08am On Jan 31
Governor Obaseki seems to have problems keeping relationships. All politics is local. He should find a way to work with Dan Orbih of the legacy group and reach a common ground. Dan Orbih is a nice guy and had been in this game longer than Obaseki.

After taking out a full newspaper publication to lambast then Governor Wike, it is strange that Obaseki now goes to ask Wike to intercede on his behalf. It was even Obaseki's mouth that we heard Wike would be contesting the PDP presidential primaries and Obaseki threatened Wike with "we shall see".

This is the wrongest time to mend fences. Obaseki presents himself as a user. He ought to have reconciled with these people as soon as he won his second term, but he waited until he had use for them.

There is absolutely no political intelligence in such a move.

Asue Ighodosky, I advice you reach out to Dan Orbih, Wike and Ogbeide-Ihama and convince them on your own to show you wouldn't be a user like Obaseki. You are a good candidate but the Obaseki belligerent baggage is likely going to be your albatross.

Meet Wike and Dan Orbih and make concessions. You are a boardroom guru. Negotiation is obviously a piece of cake for you.

We want you as Edo Governor.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by braveboi4life: 11:08am On Jan 31
Don't be deceived by this report, it's a bait obaseki wants to you to distract wike and Dan orbi Onslaught

Interesting

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by MrProlific95: 11:14am On Jan 31
emkz:
Governor Obaseki seems to have problems keeping relationships. All politics is local. He should find a way to work with Dan Orbih of the legacy group and reach a common ground. Dan Orbih is a nice guy and had been in this game longer than Obaseki.

After taking out a full newspaper publication to lambast then Governor Wike, it is strange that Obaseki now goes to ask Wike to intercede on his behalf. It was even Obaseki's mouth that we heard Wike would be contesting the PDP presidential primaries and Obaseki threatened Wike with "we shall see".

This is the wrongest time to mend fences. Obaseki presents himself as a user. He ought to have reconciled with these people as soon as he won his second term, but he waited until he had use for them.

There is absolutely no political intelligence in such a move.

Asue Ighodosky, I advice you reach out to Dan Orbih, Wike and Ogbeide-Ihama and convince them on your own to show you wouldn't be a user like Obaseki. You are a good candidate but the Obaseki belligerent baggage is likely going to be your albatross.

Meet Wike and Dan Orbih and make concessions. You are a boardroom guru. Negotiation is obviously a piece of cake for you.

We want you as Edo Governor.
U gat it well wrapped. Oba dey go Market now. Obaseki rubbished that Name.

He should remember his ancestors act of betrayal against the Benin Thrown

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by VeryWickedMan: 11:15am On Jan 31
Two ugly men forming for each other.

8 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:18am On Jan 31
Same fate awaits fubara and his emergency lovers. Dan orbih is in charge of the delegate list for the primaries, he can easily swap the names to accommodate pro ihama voters in the primaries. obaseki knows better that's why he's seeking for a reconciliation .

29 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by seanfer(m): 11:20am On Jan 31
Wike will not work with Obaseki, especially now that it is Obaseki that needs the alliance more.. Never push away your benefactors

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:20am On Jan 31
emkz:
You think they will listen to him?
Orbih has rebuffed any meeting with GO and said all should go to the field, hence his meeting their 'oga'.

GO offered Deputy or SSG, and they said NO.

Ogbeide-Ihama is from Edo South, infact from the same LGA as Obaseki as well and was one of those who fell at the Primaries thanks to Obaseki & Ayu.

The plan is to do giveaway like Samuel Anyanwu.

13 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by seanfer(m): 11:23am On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:
Same fate awaits fubara and his emergency lovers. Dan orbih is in charge of the delegate list for the primaries, he can easily swap the names to accommodate pro iyama voters in the primaries. obaseki knows better that's why he's seeking for a reconciliation

Wike and Dan Orbih have been waiting for this moment since 2021, now Obaseki is reading the handwriting on the wall..... Even if Obaseki's candidate win the party ticket there are many people who will work against PDP within the party.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by seanfer(m): 11:24am On Jan 31
fergie001:
Orbih has rebuffed any meeting with GO and said all should go to the field, hence his meeting their 'oga'.

Ogbeide-Ihama is from Edo South, infact from the same LGA as Obaseki as well and was one of those who fell at the Primaries thanks to Obaseki & Ayu.

You sabi politics.... They will make sure Obaseki's anointed candidate will not near the government house.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by CilicMarin: 11:28am On Jan 31
fergie001:

What do you think will happen at the primaries?

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by emkz: 11:28am On Jan 31
fergie001:

Asue Ighodalo can negotiate more sensibly than Obaseki. He needs to meet them and keep meeting them.

For one thing, we agree that Edo South is the biggest and most populated senatorial district in Edo State. We have no doubt that there are competent men to lead our state there, and Ogbeide-Ihama is obviously competent. But let the Esans have it, and the best candidate across board is Asue Ighodalo.

This man distinguished himself in his law practice and as a corporate guru. We can attest and feel his impact within Edo State and on a national scale. We are glad that people like him are coming out to run Edo State. I'd have wished he is made economic adviser to the president so he can serve on a larger scale.

We must pay attention to leadership recruitment and Edo State is a litmus test here.

Whatever negotiations need to be done to give Asue the PDP ticket must be done, and timely too.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:31am On Jan 31
fergie001:

Orbih faction is ready to match obaseki Dollar for Dollar at the primaries

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:36am On Jan 31
emkz:
Asue Ighodalo can negotiate more sensibly than Obaseki. He needs to meet them and keep meeting them.
Who is Asue to contest Governorship in Edo?
Don't you see how it looks?
I bring you as my person to contest, you now leave me to go and negotiate with the people I am trying to negotiate, that means you have started Fubara-ing before you enter. I will pull the plug on you with immediate effect.

Asue has made it clear through his 'Oga', he will pick any of them for Deputy, and they have simply said NO.

For one thing, we agree that Edo South is the biggest and most populated senatorial district in Edo State. We have no doubt that there are competent men to lead our state there, and Ogbeide-Ihama is obviously competent. But let the Esans have it, and the best candidate across board is Asue Ighodalo.
This has been my point 101%.

This man distinguished himself in his law practice and as a corporate guru. We can attest and feel his impact within Edo State and on a national scale. We are glad that people like him are coming out to run Edo State. I'd have wished he is made economic adviser to the president so he can serve on a larger scale.

We must pay attention to leadership recruitment and Edo State is a litmus test here.

Whatever negotiations need to be done to give Asue the PDP ticket must be done, and timely too.
I know the man, his competence isn't in doubts.

But let me make it clearer, I don't think the problem here is the PDP ticket. Obaseki can simply muscle himself in that one if need be, the PDP NWC at this stage needs money so whomever they send down will just come there to take money and go back.

The bigger election is the problem, where the anti-Party will be historic.

vanitybutiwanti:
Orbih faction is ready to match obaseki Dollar for Dollar at the primaries
You want to match a Governor dollar for dollar, how much Dem get?

Only the Presidency can take out a Governor who wants to have his way.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:39am On Jan 31
fergie001:

Who is Asue to contest Governorship in Edo?
Don't you see how it looks?
I bring you as my person to contest, you now leave me to go and negotiate with the people I am trying to negotiate, that means you have started Fubara-ing before you enter. I will pull the plug on you with immediate effect.

Asue has made it clear through his 'Oga', he will pick any of them for Deputy, and they have simply said NO.

This has been my point 101%.

I know the man, his competence isn't in doubts.

But let me make it clearer, I don't think the problem here is the PDP ticket. Obaseki can simply muscle himself in that one if need be, the PDP NWC at this stage needs money so whomever they send down will just come there to take money and go back.

Mutfwang who is leading the adhoc ward delegates will not hit his colleague-brother, less likely.

The bigger election is the problem, where the anti-Party will be historic.
Mutfwang is wikes man, his election was funded by wike, Obaseki knows better, reason he had to meet the one who calls the shot.

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:41am On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:
Mutfwang is wikes man, his election was funded by wike, Obaseki knows better, reason he had to meet the one who calls the shot.
I edited, the PDP has not named anyone.... Mutfwang was Chairman of the screening Committee.

A Governor will only chair the Primaries but the main election is how they get the Ward Delegates and the thinking of the NWC. Obaseki will likely want to do it how he did before the General Election and I believe the Orbih people will have learnt one or two.

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:41am On Jan 31
fergie001:

You want to match a Governor dollar for dollar, how much Dem get?

Only the Presidency can take out a Governor who wants to have his way.
Dey play, how much Edo state get, can he He knows better that's why he's trying to negotiate. How much him chop for Edo state?

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by babyfaceafrica: 11:41am On Jan 31
Obaseki isn't serious!! Na now day break abi.. By the time APC and oshomole cook for am finish, he will understand. Dan and Co are ready to spoil everything

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:45am On Jan 31
fergie001:

I edited, the PDP has not named anyone.... Mutfwang was Chairman of the screening Committee.

A Governor will only chair the Primaries but the main election is how they get the Ward Delegates and the thinking of the NWC. Obaseki will likely want to do it how he did before the General Election and I believe the Orbih people will have learnt one or two.
Even if his candidates wins the primaries, men still dey wait for the main election, somehow he still has to pacify wike. REC is Anugbam, wikes cousin.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:45am On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:
Dey play, how much Edo state get, can he spend $10m for the primaries alone? He knows better that's why he's trying to negotiate. How much him chop for Edo state, when fct and nddc still dey game?
You think he is negotiating because of money?
Very funny....

Obaseki is negotiating because the NWC decides the adhoc ward delegates list that will be used for the Primaries, even if it is cooked in someone's parlour. Anyone the NWC approves is final, others can go to Court and will be told the Court cannot dabble into the internal affairs of a Political Party.

The last election, both parties cooked, Ayu was pro-Obaseki and accepted his own. Now, Wike partly has a foothold and is now in Abuja so Obaseki is trying to make sure whomever they send does not do a Gulak.
vanitybutiwanti:
Even if his candidates wins the primaries men still dey wait for the main election, somehow he still has to pacify wike. REC is Anugbam, wikes cousin.
Wike's work is for the Primaries & Anti-Party, we are talking about Edo State. It is whomever majority want, will win.

4 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:49am On Jan 31
fergie001:

You think he is negotiating because of money?
Very funny....

Obaseki is negotiating because the NWC decides the adhoc ward delegates list that will be used for the Primaries, even if it is cooked in someone's parlour. Anyone the NWC approves is final.

The last election, both parties cooked, Ayu was pro-Obaseki and accepted his own. Now, Wike partly has a foothold and is now in Abuja so Obaseki is trying to make sure whomever they send does not do a Gulak.
Ayu had nothing to do with the last election, wike had to plead with the other group to give way for obaseki in his primaries, he said it in his new year luncheon, infact he asked ihama and orbih to stand while he narrated the story to the people In attendance. I also got feelers that obaseki paid the legacy group 6b, problem started when he failed to appoint the 4 commisioners from the legacy group as agreed in the meeting.

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:53am On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:
Ayu had nothing to do with the last election, wike had to plead with the other group to give way for obaseki in his primaries, he said it in his new year luncheon, infact he asked ihama and orbih to stand while he narrated the story to the people In attendance. I also got feelers that obaseki paid the legacy group 6b, problem started when he failed to appoint the 4 commisioners as agreed in the meeting.
He is telling a lie. Of course, politicians lie... He pleaded yet they pursued it to the Supreme Court or you didn't know the Apex Court ruled on it less than 2 months before the election?

The Federal High Court, under Justice Inyang Ekwo, upheld Orbih's list, that is why Obaseki did not attend the Presidential Primaries and his people also did not attend, it was Orbih's people that voted.

Obaseki's people appealed and the Appeal Court declined Jurisdiction and held that the Party was Supreme but did not make any consequential order.

Orbih's people now approached the Supreme Court for interpretation, the Apex Court affirmed Obaseki 's list and held that the NWC's decision is FINAL. So how did he appeal to them, after the Supreme Court judgement?

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by seanfer(m): 11:54am On Jan 31
CilicMarin:

Obaseki and his candidate will start claiming the congress list has been changed, and it will be too late for them to get help from the headquarter of the PDP.

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 11:59am On Jan 31
CilicMarin:
The truth is that Edo Statw Labour Party is partly sponsored by Obaseki. So you should understand now!

Once the list comes out, everybody now knows his or her level so Asue will not even enter the Primary once the list doesn't favour him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by vanitybutiwanti: 11:59am On Jan 31
fergie001:

He is telling a lie. Of course, politicians lie... He pleaded yet they pursued it to the Supreme Court or you didn't know the Apex Court ruled on it less than 2 months before the election?

The Federal High Court, under Justice Inyang Ekwo, upheld Orbih's list, that is why Obaseki did not attend the Presidential Primaries and his people also did not attend, it was Orbih's people that voted.

Obaseki's people appealed and the Appeal Court declined Jurisdiction and held that the Party was Supreme but did not make any consequential order.

Orbih's people now approached the Supreme Court for interpretation, the Apex Court affirmed Obaseki 's list and held that the NWC's decision is FINAL. So how did he appeal to them, after the Supreme Court judgement?
why did obaseki appreciate wike after the election? Why didn't obaseki come out to dispel the 'lies' after wikes speech at the luncheon? Wike specifically said obaseki doesn't keep to agreement in the luncheon, I guess they had to follow through with the cases because obaseki failed to live up to his own part of the bargain in terms of appointments after the elections.

The orbih group had to make an attempt to retain the structure after obaseki renaged on the deal. I hope you know I'm alluding to pdp primaries in Edo state?

4 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by TruthsFM: 12:10pm On Jan 31
fergie001:
The truth is that Edo Statw Labour Party is partly sponsored by Obaseki. So you should understand now!

Once the list comes out, everybody now knows his or her level so Asue will not even enter the Primary once the list doesn't favour him.

Na ighodalo that will win the Edo State Pdp primary election. Both Edo central and south delegates are heavily behind him. Congratulations to him in advance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by TruthsFM: 12:11pm On Jan 31
emkz:

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-obaseki-moves-to-mend-fences-with-wike-ahead-of-edo-guber-primary/amp

Nlfpmod

Na ighodalo that will win the Edo State Pdp primary election. Both Edo central and south delegates are heavily behind him. Congratulations to him in advance.
Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by TimeManager(m): 12:14pm On Jan 31
fergie001:

Obaseki reneged on ALL the agreements, Orbih would have withdrawn the case before it got to the SC if Obaseki had fulfilled his end of the bargain.

-kiss the truth!

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by TimeManager(m): 12:16pm On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:
why did obaseki appreciate wike after the election? Why didn't obaseki come out to dispel the 'lies' after wikes speech at the luncheon? Wike specifically said obaseki doesn't keep to agreement in the luncheon, I guess they had to follow through with the cases because obaseki failed to live up to his own part of the bargain in terms of appointments after the elections.

The orbih group had to make an attempt to retain the structure after obaseki renaged on the deal. I hope you know I'm alluding to pdp primaries in Edo state?
Obaseki messed up and as soon as the SC upheld his factional NWC, he doubled down on his attacks on Wike. He thought Wike would be irrelevant after office.

-kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Obaseki Moves To Mend Fences With Wike Ahead Of Edo Guber Primary by fergie001: 12:19pm On Jan 31
vanitybutiwanti:

You seem to be mixing 2020 & 2022/2023.

See, this is not the first time Wike is calling Obaseki a betrayal, and I believe GO answered him once and left it at that, however, I am telling you Court cases that are in the open, taken to Court by Wike's people led by Dan Orbih and Ogbeide-Ihama (who was running for Edo South Senate) in 2022.

For 2020
Which structure did Obaseki hold in 2020 when he won?
His people in APC led by Anselm Ojezua had nothing because Orbih people insisted they will get Deputy-Governor.

GO refused.

Wike then used Ogbeide-Ihama (then Reps member representing Oredo) to file a case at the Rivers High Court to stop the primaries because Obaseki refused to drop Shaibu. The Court granted it ex-parte before it was struck out after some horse-trading.

You have to understand that Ogbeide-Ihama was Wike's choice to fly the party ticket in 2020 but for feelers that Obaseki was coming over. Ihama had purchased forms already and had to step down on Wike's prompting.

In 2022:
It happened thus:
- Two lists in the Ward Congresses
-NWC dilly-dallied until both factions held Primaries, then picks that of Obaseki
-Orbih group goes to Court, the rest is history.

For 2024, the issue is simple:

1. The argument is that the legacy people led by Orbih is insisting that it will remain in Edo South simply because they believe that Central doesn't have the numbers to win. No names yet but Ogbeide-Ihama seems to be the front-runner.

Again, Orbih controls the traditional members of the PDP.

2. For the legacy people, it's the right time to deal with Obaseki.

TimeManager:

Obaseki reneged on ALL the agreements, Orbih would have withdrawn the case before it got to the SC if Obaseki had fulfilled his end of the bargain.
Any idea on what the agreements were?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What An Israeli Woman Have To Say About Biafra(video) / Gov Ugwuanyi And President Buhari At Inauguration Of Centre Of Excellence Univer / James Oche On Okada: Ado LG Of Benue State Spotted Discharging His Duties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.