Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,922 members, 7,810,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo (16602 Views)

Peter Obi Visits Bishop Oyedepo. Sparks Reactions (Photo) / Peter Obi Visits Egypt To Study Their System / Mikel Obi Visits Governor Yahaya Bello (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by DamnnNiggarr: 10:03am On Feb 01
My two key assignments in Nsukka, Enugu state on Wednesday as significant as they were, got consumed in my chance but emotional encounter with an old friend and University mate now a Professor in the institution.

My mission in Nsukka was for two important events. First, was to visit and assess a dilapidated health center, and second, to campaign for one of the federal legislators, Hon Dennis Agbo, contesting to represent Udenu/Igbo Eze North Federal Constituency in the forthcoming bye-election on Saturday. I believe this legislator is committed to the good of his people. But while in Nsukka, I met one of those brilliant fellows I knew while I was a student at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in the 80s.

The fellow graduated with a first class and became a lecturer in the institution. When I later visited the University as the then Governor of Anambra State, he proudly announced to me that he was already a professor and I rejoiced with him.

I met him again in Nsukka on Wednesday, but our exchange of pleasantries resulted in very pathetic tales about his general welfare. I noticed in his look and mien that all his happiness of being a professor had vanished.

He began his story by telling me that he felt like he wasted all his years lecturing. He dragged his pitiful story into his current remuneration as a professor. According to him, his salary as of January 31, 2010, which is 14 years ago remains the same to date, having reached the pinnacle of his career. The only significant difference is that while the money was worth something in 2010, today the same amount is worth nothing. The Professor recalled how he was able to buy a Toyota Corolla from his savings, something that is not possible again today. I asked for his salary today, he said about N400,000. He broke my heart when he requested that I put in words for him so that Hon Dennis Agbo can appoint him as Special Adviser when he wins.

The reason for the bizarre request that shocked me was that he would earn more and receive more perks as an SA than as a Professor. Touched by this and applying my finance background I decided to do some comparative analysis.

By January 31, 2010, the salary of a Nigerian University Professor was about N400,000. With the then prevalent exchange rate of N150.10 per dollar, the salary amounted to about $2665.

Fourteen years later, on January 31, 2024, the salary of a University Professor remains about N400,000. With the prevailing exchange rate of N1,510 per dollar, the same salary now amounts to about $265.

So after putting in 14 years of hard work, having attained the zenith of his academic career, a Nigerian University Professor now earns 10% of what he earned 14 years ago - this is only possible in Nigeria.

A few years ago, a Toyota Corolla cost N4.8 million, so his annual salary without any expenditure on any other item, amounting to about N4.8 million, could buy a Toyota Corolla.

Today, the same Toyota Corolla costs about N52 million which is more than 10 years of his salary without expenditure, to be able to buy one, after having attained the highest point one can achieve in academia.

Considering the critical role education plays in the development of a nation, and the low human development index, HDI, we are currently at, we require as many hands and a committed workforce as we can get in that sector.

But can we get such, when the earnings of our professors are going backward relatively? Sadly, we are in the same country where the government can use an amount enough to buy 3 Toyota Corollas, to buy personal SUVs for the legislators, whose annual earnings amount to several times that of the university professor and can now afford to pay the professor more than he can earn from lecturing in a premier university in Nigeria.

How does one then remain earnestly committed to contributing to the critical development of the nation?

My campaign, therefore, is to dismantle this criminality and create a functional society where people's talents, efforts and sacrifices will match up with their opportunities in life.

We can reverse this negative trend and build a fairer society. A new and different nation is POssible. -PO

Peter Obi

53 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by DamnnNiggarr: 10:03am On Feb 01
shocked

This is beautiful ❤️🤩🤩

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by vanbonattel: 10:03am On Feb 01
I will call people around there to vote for the LP man.

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Obiedun(m): 10:10am On Feb 01
Waka Waka without sense. May will not labour in vain

18 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Renewbranding3: 10:11am On Feb 01

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by vtuKiosk: 10:11am On Feb 01
I like Obi's peaceful demeanour smiley

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by harryboyng(m): 10:11am On Feb 01
B

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Triangles1(m): 10:12am On Feb 01
Gaining followers small small, I hope he's doing it for free

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by ify2016: 10:12am On Feb 01
ALWAYS IN THE NEWS FOR GOOD. UNFORTUNATELY EVILCABALS WON'T LET HIM TO RULE AS NUMBER ONE .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by illuminutty: 10:12am On Feb 01
Okwute...

Amarachi Steph is a Tinder sw!ndler on +234 9O4 O14 4703

She is obtaining money by false pretense using someone's picture to collect transport fare and will never show up.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Mrniceguy007: 10:12am On Feb 01
How does he pull all these crowds

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Watianoengineer(m): 10:12am On Feb 01
Sometimes I wonder if this Peter Obi get work. His waka waka is annoying

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by sambass(m): 10:13am On Feb 01
But he is richer than ur entire family put together....anuofia.
Obiedun:
Waka Waka without sense

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Bobloco: 10:13am On Feb 01
Whenever Peter Obi speaks, you learn a thing or two.

Is there something to learn whenever Tinubu speaks?

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Mrniceguy007: 10:14am On Feb 01
Samu2vrh:
:
I'm sure no one still falls for these cheap scams

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by emmabest2000(m): 10:14am On Feb 01
Obiedun:
Waka Waka without sense

sambass:
But he is richer than ur entire family put together....anuofia.

Watianoengineer:

Bobloco:

You get work but you are busy monitoring his Waka Waka

get a life bro

cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by donbrowser(m): 10:14am On Feb 01
"A few years ago, a Toyota Corolla cost N4.8 million, so his annual salary without any expenditure on any other item, amounting to about N4.8 million, could buy a Toyota Corolla.

Today, the same Toyota Corolla costs about N52 million which is more than 10 years of his salary without expenditure, to be able to buy one, after having attained the highest point one can achieve in academia."

grin grin in a bid to politicize everything.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Think9ja(m): 10:14am On Feb 01
Both of them will lose

Failure of one is failure of both and by extension their followers.

I refuse to be a follower of a sore, bitter loser

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Orathird: 10:15am On Feb 01
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Bobloco: 10:15am On Feb 01
Watianoengineer:

You get work but you are busy monitoring his Waka Waka

get a life bro

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Skillsnigeria: 10:15am On Feb 01
Okay
Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by DarkPheonix: 10:16am On Feb 01
There was a country.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by tiswell(m): 10:16am On Feb 01
Nsukka already is on lockdown 🔐 for LP

13 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Ibecon: 10:16am On Feb 01
Everyone knows the APC has destroyed the nation, people supporting the evil party are equally evil

19 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Orathird: 10:16am On Feb 01
Watianoengineer:

You wey get work, how far?

20 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Visits Nsukka, Campaigns For Hon. Dennis Agbo by Trustmea: 10:17am On Feb 01
A whole professor earning 400k hmmm

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Returns To Abuja From Medical Trip - SaharaReporters / Ekiti Women Contribute N250,000 To Fix Deplorable Federal Roads / APC FCT Statutory Delegates Meet At Bola Ahmed Tinubu Campaign Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.