Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,085 members, 7,849,403 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:39 PM

Ekiti-born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge In Sta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti-born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge In Sta (162 Views)

Oyebanji Orders Security Agencies To Fish Out Killers Of Two Ekiti Monarchs / 81 Ekiti Monarchs Write Fayemi, Reject Ranching For Herdsmen / Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti-born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge In Sta by Midefash: 3:32pm On Feb 01
Ekiti-Born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge in State

An Abuja-based legal practitioner, Deji Morakinyo has condemned the recent murder of two Ekiti monarchs as a development which underscores the upsurge in criminal activities in Ekiti State. In a statement made available to the press Tuesday evening, the Ekiti-born legal practitioner described as "abominable" and "horrendous", the murder of two Ekiti traditional rulers by suspected kidnappers who had allegedly sought to abduct the Obas on their return journey from a security meeting which had been convened to address insecurity and rampant criminality across the state.

"Words fail me. How did we descend to this? How did we arrive at this tragic pass? It is inconceivable and totally unacceptable that the land of my fathers-Ekiti, a state once renowned for its peaceful, serene and secure environment, has become an epicentre of criminality bedeviled with horrendous and abominable acts as these," he stated.

"Yes, the peace we were renowned for had unfortunately departed for a while now, even so, this loathsome development is still a rude shock to me. The dastardly murder of two of our royal fathers in Ekiti-the Onimojo of Imojo-Ekiti, Oba Olatunde Samuel Olusola and the Elesun of Esun Ekiti, Oba David Babatunde Ogunsakin which occurred Monday 29th January, and the brazen abduction of fifteen innocent schoolchildren and their teachers in Emure Ekiti on the same fateful day signposts a dark day in the annals of our history as a peace-loving state.

"My heart goes out to the relatives and subjects of the slain monarchs, and to the Government and people of Ekiti State, during this period.

"This is one such time when words alone will fail to convey any form of solidarity. Only swiftly administered justice can salve the heartache and grief that has enveloped the government and the governed in Ekiti State.

"I hereby call on the Federal Government and law-enforcement agencies to leave no stone unturned in delivering justice to the slain monarchs and speedily rescuing the abducted schoolchildren."

Calling on the Federal Government to give full support to the yearning of the states for a more effective form of policing, Morakinyo further stated, "It is time to provide the necessary infrastructure and resources for effective community policing which is the only way to curb this menace bestriding our land. Our community police need to be armed with the wherewithal to stem the tide of violence, crime and barbarity that threatens to overwhelm our lands like a tsunami from hell.

"It is also crystal clear to the discerning that repeating a strategy and expecting different results is unwise, to say the least. It is time to confront the spectre of insecurity boldly and unflinchingly with effective strategy. State policing might well be the only solution.

"I therefore join my voice to the strident call for effective community policing. No longer can we allow the fears of the political class to hinder our drive for peace and safety, no longer will we shrink from the enforcement of our right to dwell free from fear and terrors of the horde who have no respect for the sanctity of human life. Enough is enough."

Re: Ekiti-born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge In Sta by vanbonattel: 3:39pm On Feb 01
It's a pity what the country is turning to
Re: Ekiti-born Lawyer Condemns Ekiti Monarchs Killings, Decries Crime Upsurge In Sta by TrackerSK: 4:29pm On Feb 01
Bad government knows no tribe.Election mistakes are always deadly

(1) (Reply)

Revelation: Nigeria Lifts Forex Caps To Attract Billions From Residents Abroad / The Plight Of Nigeria Academicia Is Pathetic / Question For NCC and the Knowledgeable Regarding NIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.