Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Pls I Need Your Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls I Need Your Advice (489 Views)

My Marriage Is Being Tested. I Need Your Advice / I Dream Of Death Anytime I Quarrel With My Wife. I Need Your Advice / Pls, I Want To Know About Nigerian Marriage Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Your Advice by berry1999: 10:02pm On Feb 01
good day my fellow NL i have a little issue troubling me for quite sometime now, and i will like your advice on this .. which will be highly appreciated.
i am a 24 year old female still living with my parents (single parent, dad) and i will say he is one of the best , but their is this problem i have being having with him for years and it is about, how he talks to me especially when a mistake is being made and when he wants to correct me ... he is so abusive in his words and sometimes he may even try to hit me in the process, and sometime he makes an issue in every little thing ..most times i try to tolerate and ignore but .. it feels like when i do.. the situation gets worst ..so this time around i try not to tolerate anymore because its affecting me mentally and emotionally , it seem like this wants to bring an issue between me and my dad, and i have being a good daughter to him.. pls NL i need advice on what to do, how do i cope with a difficult parent, what can i do to stop this. i will really appreciate your answers ..thanks.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by shortgun(m): 10:26pm On Feb 01
Better Stay with your dad.
You will get tired of that freedom you are looking for angry
You want to decide how your father scolds you?
An African father?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by ceeceeuwa: 10:35pm On Feb 01
berry1999:
good day my fellow NL i have a little issue troubling me for quite sometime now, and i will like your advice on this .. which will be highly appreciated.
i am a 24 year old female still living with my parents (single parent, dad) and i will say he is one of the best , but their is this problem i have being having with him for years and it is about, how he talks to me especially when a mistake is being made and when he wants to correct me ... he is so abusive in his words and sometimes he may even try to hit me in the process, and sometime he makes an issue in every little thing ..most times i try to tolerate and ignore but .. it feels like when i do.. the situation gets worst ..so this time around i try not to tolerate anymore because its affecting me mentally and emotionally , it seem like this wants to bring an issue between me and my dad, and i have being a good daughter to him.. pls NL i need advice on what to do, how do i cope with a difficult parent, what can i do to stop this. i will really appreciate your answers ..thanks.
Communication between the two of you is the major challenge. Try and have a herty discussion with him. Do that when he is in a good and playful mood.

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by GboyegaD(m): 10:39pm On Feb 01
Tell him forehand that you would love to have a discussion with him. Maybe tell him on Wednesday if you want to talk on Saturday.
Write down the things you want to talk about and how they affect you.
At the start of the conversation, tell him it is tough for you but you need discuss it. More importantly, you would appreciate he listens to you first before responding. Let him know he isn't on the spot and need not respond immediately but you would appreciate if he takes his time to reflect on it.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On Feb 01
berry1999:
Have you tried pouring your heart out to him regarding how his words tear at you mentally and emotionally and asked him how he would feel if another man were to do the same to you? Parents are not mindreaders and many of them are convinced that what they do they do for the good of their kids. However, they need to be told now and then exactly what it is they are doing wrong and how it hurts so much that it is coming from them and not from strangers or outsiders. And the ones in the best position to do so are the kids in the path of their direct actions. undecided

If you are not bold enough to come up to talk to him about it, then wait till the next time he starts to mentally and emotionally abuse you and let your emotions loose at that point — spill your guts to him then — and then keep at it until gets the message that what he is doing is pushing you away. undecided

At 24, you are no longer a child but a grown up. Though you are still living with him, he too needs to adjust to treating you like a fellow grown up so you know how to act around other grownups by it. If your dad does not adjust, kindly avoid him as much as you can then or work hard so you can move out and find your own peace outside of the environment that is his. No body deserves to be emotionally or physically abused by even a parent. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by duduade: 11:18pm On Feb 01
That's the problem, OPs will open threads seeking advice... People will ask further questions to know how best to tackle the issue...

Just only few OPs answer the questions and very few end up giving feedbacks

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by nstore: 11:29pm On Feb 01
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by VeryWickedMan: 11:34pm On Feb 01
Give him pussy to calm him down.

1 Share

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by akube34: 11:44pm On Feb 01
shortgun:
Better Stay with your dad.
You will get tired of that freedom you are looking for angry
You want to decide how your father scolds you?
An African father?
shu
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by Samuelojonla123(m): 2:22am On Feb 02
You can come over to my place.....you're matured enough to stay alone... grin
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by kernniejay(m): 3:00am On Feb 02
If you dont know how to tell him, write him a letter and express everything to him. Start the letter by thanking him for all the good things he does and praise him to make him feel special, now pour out your mind and make sure you do not use any rude words cos that letter will be a solid evidence against you if you offend him.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by CHRISTFUCKER: 7:27am On Feb 02
UnCloth before him, he'll surely start treating you nice
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by Greatzeus(m): 9:06am On Feb 02
berry1999:
You don't have power over your dad's behaviour but you have over yours. You can't change him but you can change you.
Simply put,do all you can to avoid mistakes or stop anything you do that he complains about. Don't try to make him change, rather change the things you do often that makes him complain. He is your father not your siblings or husband that you expect to change,it won't work. You have to discipline yourself enough to avoid silly behaviours he complains about.
I am not saying the way he complains or talk at you is good,no. But you can do anything about him,you can only do something about you.
God bless you baby girl.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by yomi007k(m): 10:11am On Feb 02
You didnt tell us the type of mistakes you made. Were they the types that you were previously corrected on?

What caused the divorce between your mum and dad?(No need to answer this). He may not be happy your mum is not there and he may see her in you.

He may also not be happy about being the only one taking responsibility on you without any support.

I am not justifying his actions, just looking from another angle.

Try and cope with him. Show him love and respect because he didnt abandon you and still tries in his responsibilities. Most fathers wont do that.

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by princemillla(m): 10:27am On Feb 02
yomi007k:
You didnt tell us the type of mistakes you made. Were they the types that you were previously corrected on?

What caused the divorce between your mum and dad?(No need to answer this). He may not be happy your mum is not there and he may see her in you.

He may also not be happy about being the only one taking responsibility on you without any support.

I am not justifying his actions, just looking from another angle.

Try and cope with him. Show him love and respect because he didnt abandon you and still tries in his responsibilities. Most fathers wont do that.

Bless you. Only a father will understand how to come in this type of advice.

Most young girls want freedom and to b honest there is nothing outside.

Girl, my advice Is discuss with ur dad, work on this he complaint on. You can't skip mistakes but try n minimal them. Correct yourself before he comes in.

All is well with you my dear
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by frozen70(f): 4:21pm On Feb 02
berry1999:

At this point and stage

Dont confront him

Report him to any one that he respects

Tell the person how you feel about everything
Re: Pls I Need Your Advice by Dimaya: 6:59pm On Feb 04
OP, sometimes we might not like how people in our lives speak to us but we need to listen and hear the truth within the criticism.

For example, listen to this woman narrate how she disregarded her mom's advice and she now regrets it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2hppHc_wFU

keep in mind, a day might come when your dad is no more. and you will give everything to hear his voice one more time.

(1) (Reply)

Etiquette / Must Read: Are You Sure You Want A Divorce? / Who???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.