Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,221 members, 7,811,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? (14255 Views)

Why Would A Man Insist On Not Having A Registry Wedding / Groom Abandons New Bride At Benin Registry, Takes To His Heels On Sighting Wife / Registry Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Tiana155(f): 4:16pm On Nov 08, 2011
Why do some people fear having registry wedding especially guys
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 11, 2011
Because of divorce and the fact that the law will favour the woman,property wise.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by alakem(f): 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2011
Mostly men.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by llade(m): 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2011
D only deterent is barring d man from taking a second wife cos he wud go to jail for bigamy. As for properties I tink it shud be shared equitably in respect to who contributed what while providing for what will be enof for the other spouses upkeep, I wud neva agree to any court in nigeria dat will will award a 50:50 sharing ratio when d man for instance contributes over 90 percent of d family's assets. And mind u, liabilities n debts are also shared.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2011
If a man (especially in Nigeria) tells you that he does not want to do the registry think then my sister run and don't look back.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 8:48pm On Nov 12, 2011
Outstrip:

If a man (especially in Nigeria) tells you that he does not want to do the registry think then my sister run and don't look back.

Some men reject it only for religious reasons. . . . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2011
What religious reasons

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2011
Many Nigerian men due to their up bringing believe that a wedding that isn't held according to their religious belief is invalid. A lot of muslims and christians hold that belief. . . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 10:03pm On Nov 12, 2011
mazaje:

Many Nigerian men due to their up bringing believe that a wedding that isn't held according to their religious belief is invalid. A lot of muslims and christians hold that belief. . . .
Nobody says that you should not have a religious ceremony. The registry puts a legal stamp on it. What responsible man would not want to give his wife and children that security

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2011
Outstrip:

Nobody says that you should not have a religious ceremony. The registry puts a legal stamp on it. What responsible man would not want to give his wife and children that security

Very many Nigerians believe that the religious ceremony puts all the legal stamps on all marriages, after all they are tying the knot in the presence of men and God according to the beliefs they hold and that to them supersedes any registry marriage. . .Many Nigerians consider registry marriage to be invalid that is why we have more religious weddings than registry weddings in Nigeria. . . .

I have a friend whose family had to cancel his wedding because his girl that is an adherent of the grail message said she will only have a registry wedding instead of a church wedding, they didn't want him to marry her in the first place because of her religion but when she insisted on having only a registry wedding his people vowed never to attend the wedding he had to cancel it. . . .Religious weddings are more valuable to Nigerians than registry weddings. . . .Very few people marry in the courts. . .The conventional weddings are the traditional weddings and the religious weddings. . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 11:32pm On Nov 12, 2011
Nigerians need to get with the program. Just because you believe something does not make it the sensible thing to do. To each their own. Any woman that is smart will insist on that especially in that Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 11:39pm On Nov 12, 2011
^^

Sure, but you are dealing with a set of people that do not see the registry wedding as something that is valuable, most Nigerian ladies will prefer to marry in the church or according to Islamic tradition than in the court when given the choice, many see the religious weddings as the only legal wedding since they believe it is sanctioned by God. . . Religious wedding supersedes any registry marriage both in the eyes of the males and the females,it has more to do with culture than anything else. . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 12:09am On Nov 13, 2011
If it is really culture then they will just do the traditional wedding and have a Pastor bless the union right there. the white wedding gown is not african culture. It has more to do with ignorance than culture
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 1:27am On Nov 13, 2011
^^

Many people do not consider themselves legally married until after they have done the church wedding. . .Many people do not even consider the traditional wedding as legal as the religious wedding. . . .The wedding certificates issued by religious institutions are seen as the paramount in Nigeria, as such even old couple still go back to renew their vows in the church if they hadn't done it before. . . .When I talk about culture I mean religious culture. Our people identify with their christian and islamic cultures more than their traditional cultures in Nigeria. . . .People do not value the registry weddings because of ignorance as you said and also because most of them believe that religious marriages are paramount. . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 1:39am On Nov 13, 2011
According to Nigerian law which one will be upheld in the court of law?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by N101: 3:04am On Nov 13, 2011
Outstrip:

According to Nigerian law which one will be upheld in the court of law?
Technically, the law recognises traditional/customary marriages, Muslim marriages and court/registry marriages.

As someone rightly pointed out, if you have a registry marriage, you can't take a second wife or you will be guilty of bigamy under the law. But at least it means you are married according to law.

The other thing is that, unlike is other countries, many religious places cannot issue a marriage certificate as they are not registered to do so. This is why people end up going to the registry as well as having a religious ceremony.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 3:16am On Nov 13, 2011
You basically answered my question. Technically even if he marries in a church and 3 years later marries another in the registry that marriage will be upheld in court. That's why I say that any woman in Nigeria who thinks it is not important to do a court wedding is silly. Thanks for the info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 13, 2011
Me ke?fear which kain registry? That was one of the things I pushed for cool
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mazaje(m): 11:28am On Nov 13, 2011
N101:

Technically, the law recognises traditional/customary marriages, Muslim marriages and court/registry marriages.

As someone rightly pointed out, if you have a registry marriage, you can't take a second wife or you will be guilty of bigamy under the law. But at least it means you are married according to law.

The other thing is that, unlike is other countries, many religious places cannot issue a marriage certificate as they are not registered to do so. This is why people end up going to the registry as well as having a religious ceremony.

Churches issue marriage certificates in Nigeria. . . .
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by N101: 11:58am On Nov 14, 2011
mazaje:

SOME, not all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2011
Every responsible church should ensure they do it. As a pastor it is your responsibility to look out for your members. Everyone should be encouraged to make their marriage legally binding

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by r231(m): 6:50pm On Nov 14, 2011
mazaje:

just a few of them
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by armyofone(m): 8:19pm On Nov 14, 2011
if a guy ask we marry at the registry, i will just look well to make sure i have crossed all t's and i's so i make sure he can bring home a fat bacon (where osisi sef)

grin

so David bridal go pass moi be that? shocked
how do i tell my 5000 friends i married? shocked
if a woman says registry, i can understand
if a man says registry, ummm, that's a no no grin grin na so you manage reach?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by tessybaby(f): 9:31am On Nov 15, 2011
In Cameroon, you have to present your maraige certificate from the registry to the church
before any church mariage takes place.
Most people now do the registry wedding nowadays in cameroon than the church wedding.
it goes from traditional, civil/registry then church

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by ikhideman(m): 2:11pm On Nov 15, 2011
Its because people enter into marriage as a "contract" instead of as an"honourable covenant union" governed by Love(God is Love)!
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by oluite(f): 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2011
Most churches especially pentecostal churches have realised the importance of registry/court marriage and make it compulsory for intending couples now.
Infact after traditional marriage,you present the court certificate before the church wedding.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by N101: 9:45pm On Nov 27, 2011
ikhideman:

Its because people enter into marriage as a "contract" instead of as an"honourable covenant union" governed by Love(God is Love)!

Which is the "marriage contract" wedding?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mutter(f): 9:26am On Nov 28, 2011
A church marriage is not a civil contract. It only becomes one when it is affiliated to a registry and issues marriage certificates. As such it is not the church marriage in itself that is binding in law but the contract that emerges wit the signing of the certificate.
A registry marriage does not have any benefits over a customary one. In the sense that if after a customary marriage you marry another woman in court that also amounts to bigamy. Since Islamic law allows for more than one wife there is an exception here.
A registry marriage becomes important in issues such as custody of the children. However the law of the land where one lives plays an important role here and prevails over marriage laws of the various countries of the parties involved.
As regards inheritance it also plays a role BUT this only where the man has left a testament. In the absence of a testament you find a complicated mix up of statutory law and tradition. Remember also that under the Nigerian constitution there is no such thing as an illegitimate child.
Imagine a situation where a man marries in court and leaves his property to a total stranger!!! It might even be better of if customary law had prevailed in sharing the property.
Hence I assume that statutory marriage is only of a great advantage where the party wills his property in favour of the other spouse and children.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 28, 2011
registry weddings are for naija women what prenups are for western men

its all good to be starry eyed and in love and all, but if it all goes south - you are screwed without those documents

check most of these society big men who grew up poor, esp those military administrators - their official wives are the second wives, who are married in the registry. the first wives are fked over

without a registry wedding, if the man decides to take a second wife, nothing for u. she is the LEGAL wife. never mind if she is a thieving biatch

anyway its like this in cold harsh terms

women should push for the registry wedding , men should push to avoid it
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Bawss1(m): 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2011
oyb:

registry weddings are for naija women what prenups are for western men

its all good to be starry eyed and in love and all, but if it all goes south - you are screwed without those documents

check most of these society big men who grew up poor, esp those military administrators - their official wives are the second wives, who are married in the registry. the first wives are fked over

without a registry wedding, if the man decides to take a second wife, nothing for u. she is the LEGAL wife. never mind if she is a thieving biatch

anyway its like this in cold harsh terms

women should push for the registry wedding , men should push to avoid it

Why would I want to such a thing? Registry wedding all the way!
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by mutter(f): 10:40am On Nov 29, 2011
If a man has a wife by customary law, the second wife cannot be his legal wife because the marriage is null and void. But where there is no case there is no justice.
It might appear that way because enlightened women tend to insist on a registry marriage.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 29, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? / Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Happy Mother's Day. What Will You Give To Your Mom Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.