Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law (20866 Views)

Umahi: I Have Not Made Any Comment About Anambra Election / SWAT: Six Things To Know About New Police Unit / New Burial Law In Anambra State: Obiano Gives Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by BoldBrainz(m): 12:47pm On Feb 02
tctrills:

To me, it should be the choice and prerogative of individuals and families to decide how to bury their dead. A governor should not be given such power.
Do I support wasteful and expensive burials? No. But handing such power to a governor is much more dangerous.
I am an advocate for limited power

Well, the governor did not unilaterally decide on it. The bill passed through the House of Assembly which has representatives from all local governments in the state. He only signed it into a law. That's to tell you the new law is a product of the decisions of all power brokers in the state. Any disgruntled Anambra indigene should hold his representative in the HOA for explanations.

1 Like

Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by adecz: 1:04pm On Feb 02
Better concentrate on governing
& stop interfering in the cultural practices
of your people..

The cultures have been there for centuries
but your tenure is only 8 years maximum..😑😑😑
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:06pm On Feb 02
ShugaSneh:
This same policy should be established in the south west, so as to minimise the rate at which yaríba youths goes to exhume corpse and mining of skulls for money rituals in yaríba land.
Na me talkam
Just for Yeeboh only nothing concern South west here
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by PotatoSalad(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02
ExtremeDot:
Burial in Enugu state is just too expensive.
Millions of naira just for burial ceremony.

When the corpse is being laid into Earth, na few persons you go see in attendance.

Couple of hours later, during the actual burial ceremony, you see a mammoth crowd from nowhere.

They are not coming to bury the dead. They are coming to eat and drink. Chai.
I remember the time a man was about to buried and the people of his mum refused to attend if they weren't given a ram and proper invitation. the kind vex wey hold me that day. If I was in charge that day ehn, I'd have said f u to all of them. The people I went with went and bought ram o and the idiots said the ram was small that their son would have done more than that. They now added 50k on top of it with abeg.
Now here's the sad part. The man that died was ill for sometime. Now none of those people who asked for ram visited him in the hospital nor called for once.
I was now wondering, all the mmenmme that happened that day, if the money was used to treat that man in a good hospital, maybe he'd still be alive. Very annoying something

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by mastermaestro(m): 1:12pm On Feb 02
I call this real transformation. This is a bold move by a government that wants to enthrone decency. Very commendable. In fact the burial place aspect should be visited by all states. The idea of burying people anywhere needs urgent policy intervention.

You enter a street. You see visible tombs in over fifty percent of the houses. It's really disturbing.

1 Like

Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by sylve11: 1:37pm On Feb 02
Obnoxious2001:
Funniest thing is I don't understand shit after I carefully read this stuff.

Aside for blocking road and public display of casket, I no understand anything.

Besides the 2months duration of mortuary is not feasible.
Like them get money Naim dey plan keep the corpse long?

Anyway Na interstate mortuary go gain am

It's not compulsory to do a party for a deceased. If you don't have money, do a 24 hour wake keeping then lay the deceased to rest immediately after the wake keeping. cool
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Ifyz0001: 1:49pm On Feb 02
Off course if you have more than 10k you can bring it...but not mandating it with a list of difficult items...

The next state now is bride prize of imo state
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Royceey(m): 1:55pm On Feb 02
I was reading to See if there's a Part were government will support the deceased Family for the Burial.

Irrespective of how the law is been implemented the poor Masses will still be at the receiving End.

Corpse shouldn't exceed 2 months in the Mortuary and yet no Financial support.
Na so so Fine! Fine!

Allow the Death to Rest in Peace. Biko!
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by ultimateprof: 2:03pm On Feb 02
The god's are wise!
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Maxtipulation(m): 2:45pm On Feb 02
Only the people of Anambra will understand the relieve this burial law brings
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by teebillz: 2:47pm On Feb 02
bestman09:

DOA.
Some customs can be modified if they are bad, not just throwing out the baby with the bath water. What is the concern of the legislators concerning ibu ozu nwa ada? So if for example, Governor Soludo loses his mother today, will him give his maternal people N10,000 in the name of ibu ozu nwa ada? Will his friends just condole him with N10,000 or less each?

Burials, (not only in Anambra state) are actually expensive but it has never been mandatory for people to spend millions on burials. Everyone does according to his capability. PLEASE ALLOW THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD IT TO BURY THEIR LOVED ONES THE WAY THEY WANT!

There are cases where people of means spent more on their love ones when they are dead than when alive. Show people all the love and care they need when they are alive.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:48pm On Feb 02
sylve11:

It's not compulsory to do a party for a deceased. If you don't have money, do a 24 hour wake keeping then lay the deceased to rest immediately after the wake keeping. cool

No be igbo people.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by chinedu234(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02
Soludo should find better things to do with Anambra state. Clashing with customs and traditions may not be a good direction. The state assembly may have also been misled to wade into an area ordinarily for traditional rulers.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by tctrills: 3:23pm On Feb 02
BoldBrainz:

Well, the governor did not unilaterally decide on it. The bill passed through the House of Assembly which has representatives from all local governments in the state. He only signed it into a law. That's to tell you the new law is a product of the decisions of all power brokers in the state. Any disgruntled Anambra indigene should hold his representative in the HOA for explanations.
Still government should never have such powers over our lives
This means that the governor and the house can decide what we eat or the kind of clothes we put on.
Or the gov can decide how we celebrate Christmas or our birthdays.
It's an abuse of office.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by mclloyd22: 3:29pm On Feb 02
Nice one soludo.. public display of gasket is illegal Abeg. The good old days it’s after someone’s demise that the relative will get a carpenter to measure the person and the stuff would be produced. Secondly burial is not of any monetary value. Bury the dead with no aim of gathering funds.. this is why it takes if not 1 year for a family to do burial in the east because they wan use an cash out.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by CockPit: 3:46pm On Feb 02
adecz:

Better concentrate on governing
& stop interfering in the cultural practices
of your people..

The cultures have been there for centuries
but your tenure is only 8 years maximum..😑😑😑

Na very useless burial culture used for extortion.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Neddyogu(m): 4:19pm On Feb 02
So how do they intend to enforce these laws? Post policemen to monitor burials? Or go around the state looking at burial posters?

Make dem go arrest Obi Cubana first before I listen to their bull
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Iamzik: 4:23pm On Feb 02
mu2sa2:
Instead of all this dancing around, they can easily adopt the tradition where you must bury the dead within 24 hours no matter what. After the burial everyone goes their own way in pursuit of their livehood. Shikena. If you doubt this go to the north to confirm.

Northerners are mostly Muslims and their religion dies not support elaborate burial. They don't even buy casket
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Sammy5413(m): 4:47pm On Feb 02
Mohammed Lie on us, we’re your rug
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Samfloxin(m): 4:48pm On Feb 02
Our governor is having serious mental problem recently
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by mu2sa2: 5:09pm On Feb 02
Iamzik:

Northerners are mostly Muslims and their religion dies not support elaborate burial. They don't even buy casket
Even northern Christians are modest in their burial ceremonies.

1 Like

Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Lovit(m): 5:28pm On Feb 02
Nice one

free the widows from manipulations and persecutions during mourning periods
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Emeka71(m): 5:49pm On Feb 02
NaijaCoverBlog:
Reporting From ANAMBRA STATE about Burial
Cultural matters.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by dbestcno(m): 5:54pm On Feb 02
NaijaCoverBlog:

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/six-things-you-need-to-know-about-anambra-burial-law/

Soludo no like second tenure. He will make APGA lose anambra state
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by 684oludolamu: 6:47pm On Feb 02
YyYy...
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by adecz: 6:59pm On Feb 02
CockPit:

Na very useless burial culture used for extortion.

He should start with the expensive
marriage culture of his people, where
it has become impossible to marry
Igbo girls because of the list of items
which goes over 2million Naira and above.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by CockPit: 7:18pm On Feb 02
adecz:

He should start with the expensive
marriage culture of his people, where
it has become impossible to marry
Igbo girls because of the list of items
which goes over 2million Naira and above.

He will soon get there, na step by step.

It was passed by the state house which represents the people.

If you want to marry Anambra babe, I can help you negotiate get a discount from the N2m so don't be afraid.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Dafresh: 9:34pm On Feb 02
BoldBrainz:

That is, you're saying the death and burial of a loved one can be used as a revenue generating venture? This is easily the most shameful comment I've seen on this issue so far.
The truth is always bitter, even your government pays death benefits
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by GerogeI(m): 10:18pm On Feb 02
BoldBrainz:

Stop misinforming the public! A burial is not a religious affair. So those they cremate in crematoria have no religions?

Oga, how you bury your dead is a religious affair
For moslems,
Christians, Traditional, Worshippers etc.
Whether you choose to wrap in mat, use or not use the mortuary, cremate, bury in white cloth, cry for two weeks, not cry, have masqurades or not are based on religious affiliations.

A responsible government should have more impactful problems to face, not a null and void law.
Re: Six Things You Need To Know About Anambra Burial Law by Abee79(m): 7:24am On Feb 03
Celebrate your loved ones while they are alive.
Anything you do to them that was not done while they were alive amounts to hypocrisy!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo And His Wife At Ayomide Amosun's Wedding (Photos) / Ajimobi, Alao-Akala And Senator Teslim Folarin Reunite In London (Photos) / 100 Kwara Communities Without Electricity For Over 100 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.