Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Why you must not attend a Polytechnic - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why you must not attend a Polytechnic (2535 Views)

ASUU Strike: My Kids Will Not Attend Public Universities In Nigeria / Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 9:48pm On Feb 03
If you are reading this and you want to enroll in a polytechnic or have someone who wants to enroll in any polytechnic in Nigeria please I'm on my knees crying for you. Don't waste your future.

Instead, go and learn a trade and keep applying for jamb.

I repeat, please and please i beg all students of any polytechnic in Nigeria to boycott Polytechnics and sit for jamb again.

We were lucky we escaped the polytechnic slave camp but most people are not and the senior citizens in Nigeria keep operating and encouraging people to go to Polytechnics.

How can you encourage your fellow man or woman to go to polytechnic and you call yourself a Christian or Muslim?

Will you be happy seeing your children fall into a ditch? Why encouraging other people's children to fall into the same ditch?

Those adamant ones who will read this write-up and still say it doesn't matter. Do a quick research Check, most polytechnic lecturers don't allow their children go to Polytechnics ( a.k.a fall into a ditch)

We can't be treating some citizens as slaves and keep encouraging slave camps. Recently, a polytechnic was threatening students who refused to pay the hiked school fees not to come for test. Please o yee prospective slaves, that test cannot help your career. Ruuuuuun for your lives.

Most Corporate companies in Nigeria see Polytechnic graduates as failures. People who couldn't pass Jamb and couldn't enter university because they are dull slaves.

Truly i tell you, a BSC Graduate with second class upper is more valuable than a HND Graduate with distinction and years of experience. Truly i say unto you, the former has a better career path than you..

I have many sad experiences of friends who spent years in Banking and later got BSC but were still paid a slave wage because they were employed with HND while a fresher trained on the job by them, who was employed with BSC, earned over 200,000NGN and kept earning higher than them.

Even if you later get BSC or MSC on the job, most Banks won't recognise you because that HND you started with, has dented the image their HR have of you. To them, you started as a failure and also to them, once a failure(those who started their career with HND), always a failure.

Asides the payment, the stigma is terrible believe me. You will train the new staff with your experience but you won't grow career wise.
You will be mocked at the end. Imagine the fresher you trained, becoming your team lead and scolding you just because you have HND.

If you ignore this message, you will learn the hard way.

Most contract workers in Banks and many organisations are polytechnic graduates. I warned my brother after he got admission to Yabatech that i see an apprentice as better than him. He was shocked! Today he has his BSC and he is doing fine.

Don't be a hurry and let that OND or HND be a stain to your life. God is fair to all but Nigeria government, politicians and lecturers are not fair to Nigerian polytecnic graduates. See them playing ping pong with converting polytechnics to degree awarding institutions or scraping Polytechnics entirely.

Don't let anyone play ping pong with your life or that of your children, friends or even enemy.

Your mantra in 2024 should be No gree for any polytechnic

A word is enough for the wise !!!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by ILoveNG: 10:23pm On Feb 03
I’m waiting to read comments

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by dangoteinlaw: 10:27pm On Feb 03
My side babe that passed through hnd I seriously feel for her now. It’s been such a tough journey for her and yet she’s still no where. Imagine finishing hnd still don’t know where you are headed. Hnd is a huge scam just like Nigeria economy.

4 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by talented321: 11:20pm On Feb 03
I take poly as secondary school. If i have cash i will use it for business than going to poly..

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by jaeyking(m): 11:53pm On Feb 03
In the banking sector
You are either a professional staff or a support staff

The role of professional staff can either be an HND or BSC depending on the bank in question
The professional staff end up been team lead, managers and co

But the role of support staff is support and still level up to 5

I have seen BSC holders as support staffs, HND holders as professional staffs

Some have degree and msc but have no job

Truth is the same support staff u are scolding earns a minimum of 100k

Things happen differently
We all pray for God to make his light and mercy be upon us to succeed in life

Lastly a man who had no WAEC ruled this country for 8 years

13 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by NwaliE01: 1:10am On Feb 04
In the banking sector, OND/HND is not much different from O level. Please, avoid HND if you can.

2 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by faceland: 2:28am On Feb 04
Datedoboy:

Most Corporate companies in Nigeria see Polytechnic graduates as failures. People who couldn't pass Jamb and couldn't enter university because they are dull slaves.

Apart from government, no one cares about your degree or certificate. It is your ability (to perform and fit in) or your past experience that they look at.

2 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by chubinwa(m): 6:16am On Feb 04
Rubbish. Just pray for connection. Weather hbd or BSC. If you no get connection, your joblessness go long.

3 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by ruggedtimi(m): 6:32am On Feb 04
In the oil and gas sector most companies prefer HND holders because they are likely more skillful than BSc holders

2 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 6:59am On Feb 04
faceland:

Apart from government, no one cares about your degree or certificate. It is your ability (to perform and fit in) or your past experience that they look at.
This is not true. No one cares? Go to some companies and see how HND graduates are treated as if they are slaves even with good performance. You can't get to Managerial positions in Banks with HND even if you know the job very well. A fresh graduate with BSC will be promoted rapidly compared to you.

Some HR will not even employ you once they see HND. Even if they employ you, you will be given less pay.

3 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 7:04am On Feb 04
chubinwa:
Rubbish. Just pray for connection. Weather hbd or BSC. If you no get connection, your joblessness go long.

This is Nigeria's problem. This is a serious issue not rubbish. Everything is not about prayer. Even the Bible says the wise one sees calamity and hides himself.

Polytechnics are a calamity to Nigeria's educational system.

All the places i worked were without connection.

Even most connections no dey accept HND except the pay is poor

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 7:07am On Feb 04
ruggedtimi:
In the oil and gas sector most companies prefer HND holders because they are likely more skillful than BSc holders

How many HND graduates get to work for Oil companies? I'm talking about the majority here.

It is not because they are more skillful it is because the companies want cheap labour. All I'm saying is don't go to Polytechnics as it will make companies price you cheap

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 7:10am On Feb 04
NwaliE01:
In the banking sector, OND/HND is not much different from O level. Please, avoid HND if you can.
Fantastic! This is the type of comment we want. Let's spread the truth. God bless you for saying the truth.

I might not make much impact but with what is seen in Nigeria, i will try my best to stop the slave treatment given to Polytechnic graduates
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 7:26am On Feb 04
dangoteinlaw:
My side babe that passed through hnd I seriously feel for her now. It’s been such a tough journey for her and yet she’s still no where. Imagine finishing hnd still don’t know where you are headed. Hnd is a huge scam just like Nigeria economy.

Just imagine!!! and the people who should have enlightened her better are still in the Polytechnics threatening new students to pay increased rubbish fees.
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Datedoboy: 7:41am On Feb 04
jaeyking:
In the banking sector
You are either a professional staff or a support staff

The role of professional staff can either be an HND or BSC depending on the bank in question
The professional staff end up been team lead, managers and co

But the role of support staff is support and still level up to 5

I have seen BSC holders as support staffs, HND holders as professional staffs

Some have degree and msc but have no job

Truth is the same support staff u are scolding earns a minimum of 100k

Things happen differently
We all pray for God to make his light and mercy be upon us to succeed in life

Lastly a man who had no WAEC ruled this country for 8 years

I agree with some of your comments but setting up yourself for failure by going to Polytechnics should be discouraged. Because some others were fortunate doesn't mean many will be.

I've seen support staff with years of experience earn 160k which their BSC counterparts from training school earn around 300k with other allowances. Which is better?

I know we need to pray to God but let's put in a good job first. A good job here is learning a good trade well or going to the University.

Ask yourself, the lecturers teaching in Polytechnics did they get the job with only their HND? Many later went to university to get a proper Degree when they saw that there was no hope in the useless HND but won't advice new students to avoid time wasting because it's all about money.

Many polytechnic lecturers tell their children not to come to Polytechnics but don't advice other people's children not to do same which is wrong.

I'm not saying once you get BSC you will have job but you have set a fine foundation. If you want to build a house, once the foundation is good you can build on it anytime and it will stand but when the foundation is bad, anything you build on it will collapse.

Most HR in Nigerian Banks that i know, won't treat someone that started his career with HND same way as someone who started with BSC.

To avoid this problem, scrap HND they will say No. So it is left for the wise ones to avoid Polytechnics.

Trust me if all Nigerians boycott Polytechnics, they will turn them to degree awarding institutions.

See NUC recent rants about HND top up program. They said you can't get BSC after 5 years HND with top up program.

To them you are same with WAEC holders and should start from scratch. What nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by tuzle(m): 8:26am On Feb 04
As someone who did ND before transferring to bsc I wouldnt advise anyone to go for hnd although there are some courses and schools that u can do hnd and still get good jobs. Engineering courses and computer science if u are good at what u do, u can get a very good job using ur hnd.

2 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by balaclava: 8:27am On Feb 04
Wether B.Sc or HND or their seniors, M.Sc, M.A or PHd... better go and get a skill.

In Nigeria and in the future all the above will matter but little, it is your skill that will sell.

The papers issued when you get all these qualifications are nothing but papers but your skill is the real you internalised.

Remember I didn't say don't get them, I said also get a skill.
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by madscientist88(m): 9:05am On Feb 04
lol just staring and reading wonders,life is just amazing,me here counting how many of my bsc holders got jobs and how many of my friends who didn't even pass waec got great paying jobs?e concern people who are slaves to the new world order policy tho,im not from this generation,i pray you all succeed regardless of your qualifications, you see me? i am that man who has no certificate but has gained far more knowledge and skills than most of these intials mentioned here,my knowledge got me so connected, when i say i don't have a good high school grade nor a hsc ,people look at me in total shock and awe. not everyone is like me but one thing is certain, mastering several vocational skills and contious learning made me a genius, i have a talent of learning things quickly and figuring things out 100x faster than average people,if you put me in a group of 2000 people,i would be amongst the top 10 selected,this has been my luck currently due to my findings i am linked up with the ministry of solid minerals,i said i have no good grades or tertiary education,when money starts coming in i will enrol, its my wish to complete my studies like every normal person. As op mentioned, I don't have any experiences regards to jobs because i cant apply,you can invest your money in skills,or be the tool of your own salvation if thats what would help you Excel.

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by psucc(m): 9:16am On Feb 04
I deliberately turned down an job offer from a bank then because of issues like this. Though i stayed for so long without a job, working in the bank was my least option.

But the Nigerian system is bastardizing the HND or Polytechnic education. If it had given it the right attention, by removing the B. Sc - HND dichotomy, this situation wouldn't have arise.

2 Likes

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by DesChyko: 10:09am On Feb 04
Weird.

Can Nigerian Universities cater for her teeming population? This opinion is poorly thought up.

Get a damn education ASAP and focus on equipping yourself with life uplifting skills.

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Ohraykon: 11:15am On Feb 04
All these theory lords and queens We are africans we are practical people until una kill all handwork abi? Whats this now? Even your oyinbo people prefer technical schools to universities!
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Coldspice: 12:10pm On Feb 04
Datedoboy:

This is not true. No one cares? Go to some companies and see how HND graduates are treated as if they are slaves even with good performance. You can't get to Managerial positions in Banks with HND even if you know the job very well. A fresh graduate with BSC will be promoted rapidly compared to you.

Some HR will not even employ you once they see HND. Even if they employ you, you will be given less pay.

Now, I know that you are a very very ignorant fellow. My own uncle in Wema Bank is a Regional Manager. He doesn't have a University degree, what he has is an HND. He joined when he left Ilaro Poly.

I have been involved in several recruitments in the technology space. In fact, in the last promotion round, one of the people promoted has an HND from Yabatech. She is currently supervising those with University Degrees from Covenant, Uniport and other schools.
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Coldspice: 12:15pm On Feb 04
Your problem is not the institution, you are actually a very unfortunate fellow.

Even if you attend a University, you will blame your course of study for your misfortune.

If you study your desired course, you will blame your class of degree for your misfortune

If you even get a very good class of degree, you will blame the government.

Leave story and blame your village people. They have made you unable to see opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by RomanGreen: 12:55pm On Feb 04
Datedoboy:
If you are reading this and you want to enroll in a polytechnic or have someone who wants to enroll in any polytechnic in Nigeria please I'm on my knees crying for you. Don't waste your future.

I repeat, please and please i beg all students of any polytechnic in Nigeria to boycott Polytechnics and sit for jamb again.

We were lucky we escaped the polytechnic slave camp but most people are not and the senior citizens in Nigeria keep operating and encouraging people to go to Polytechnics.

How can you encourage your fellow man or woman to go to polytechnic and you call yourself a Christian or Muslim?

Will you be happy seeing your children fall into a ditch? Why encouraging other people's children to fall into the same ditch?

Those adamant ones who will read this write-up and still say it doesn't matter. Do a quick research Check, most polytechnic lecturers don't allow their children go to Polytechnics ( a.k.a fall into a ditch)

We can't be treating some citizens as slaves and keep encouraging slave camps. Recently, a polytechnic was threatening students who refused to pay the hiked school fees not to come for test. Please o yee prospective slaves, that test cannot help your career. Ruuuuuun for your lives.

Truly i tell you, a BSC Graduate with second class upper is more valuable than a HND Graduate with distinction and years of experience. Truly i say unto you, the former has a better career path than you..

I have many sad experiences of friends who spent years in Banking and later got BSC but were still paid a slave wage because they were employed with HND while a fresher trained on the job by them, who was employed with BSC, earned over 200,000NGN and kept earning higher than them.

Even if you later get BSC or MSC on the job, most Banks won't recognise you because that HND you started with, has dented the image their HR have of you. To them, you started as a failure and also to them, once a failure(those who started their career with HND), always a failure.

Asides the payment, the stigma is terrible believe me. You will train the new staff with your experience but you won't grow career wise.
You will be mocked at the end. Imagine the fresher you trained, becoming your team lead and scolding you just because you have HND.

Most contract workers in Banks and many organisations are polytechnic graduates. I warned my brother after he got admission to Yabatech that i see an apprentice as better than him. He was shocked! Today he has his BSC and he is doing fine.

Don't be a hurry and let that OND or HND be a stain to your life. God is fair to all but Nigeria government, politicians and lecturers are not fair to Nigerian polytecnic graduates. See them playing ping pong with converting polytechnics to degree awarding institutions or scraping Polytechnics entirely.

Don't let anyone play ping pong with your life or that of your children, friends or even enemy.

I agree with you to an extent as this is Nigeria but the true reason for the establishment of polytechnics is for it to serve as a hub for skills development. I think your message should be students of these institutions to use their one year IT and acquire relevant tech skills that will set them on a good pedestal coz even Bsc holders are struggling as well. What they teach in Universities these are obsolete. I can bet you that a computer science undergraduate in ND 2 who used his one year IT to acquire a good tech skills is better off than first class BSC graduate. Let's try to look beog the scope of paper certificate and Nigeria and export it skills abroad. It always pays. Nigeria will underutilize you as usual and underpay you as usual.

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by dopedealer(m): 12:58pm On Feb 04
If you like believe OP
If you like no believe am
If you like agree with Op
If you like no gree !

THAT IS THE TRUTH HE HAS STATED

The polytechnic student might even be more brilliant than the university graduate but the university graduate will still be recognised and paid higher!

1 Like

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Mikespecialone(m): 1:18pm On Feb 04
So what is your advice ??
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by BigDawsNet: 2:18pm On Feb 04
No mind OP just follow ur desire ... the main thing is to study trending course and learn a tech
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by bdon12: 2:26pm On Feb 04
Datedoboy:

I work in d oil n gas sector...companies like shell,chevron ,nlng etc rely on polytechnic graduates for tech jobs.Oil rig workers etc are usually mech or electrical engineering frm polytechnic.
Dont be ignorant.if mobil employ 200 peopl..180 will be technicians wit polytechnic hnd as their engineers.they do not employ bsc as engineers bt as managers.We hav more bsc graduates engineers who are jobless than polytechnic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by Philipgarza31: 3:03pm On Feb 04
Maybe when we are done with hnd bsc dichotomy we will now address how some courses are now a dump and scam by universities and polytechnics to make money.
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by henndukwe18: 3:05pm On Feb 04
You still havent given any point why we shud not b in polytechnic
Re: Why you must not attend a Polytechnic by CHRISTFUCKER: 3:22pm On Feb 04
School na scam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Approves 2012 As National Mathematical Year / The Top Three Highest number of cars owned by an individual / 8 Things Hostel Life Will Teach You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.