Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? (11211 Views)

Photo Of A Mosque Beside A Church In Jos / Is It Bad To Sing Christian Songs In Secular Way? / Is It Bad To Drop An Empty Offering Envelope In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:51am On Feb 04
Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot?

I used to attend a church located at an area replete with nite clubs and hotels, so prostitutes were often seen hanging out around that area especially at night.

Something I noticed at the time was that the sight of the prostitutes, seemed to irritate Christians who worked, lived or had their church venues around that area, as I have often heard several of them express their disapproval of having to cope with the sights of such scantily clad ones on a frequent basis as a result.

One even took it to the point of praying for the clubs to be burnt down so the area could have some sort of reprieve. Even heard the church's pastor speaking severally about not being comfortable holding church services around such an area.

So it is really that bad for a church to be located in such an area?

God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:51am On Feb 04
I didn't think it was a bad location for a church at all at the time though.

Infact I saw it as a huge opportunity for the church, because I felt the purpose of the church is to reach out to lost souls like them with the Gospel, so it was supposed to be an advantage for the church to have such ones closeby or around them so they could easily reach out to them.

That was already my inclination, then on one particular night, we had just closed from midweek program at church, so I was with 2 guys. One was a friend, the other, a guest artist who also happened to be a pastor, and we were just making our way to the place we could get a cab to take us home.

Suddenly out of one of those clubs came 3 prostitutes, and they were seeking their customers as usual.

That was how they came into our conversation, as one of the three of us immediately expressed his disgust on sighting them. Ironically this was someone who I knew very well to be just a church-goer still living a life of sin and sexual immorality, yet he was the first to condemn someone else.

I was disgusted at his sheer hypocrisy, however wasn't fazed. Hence as my custom was at the time, to preach the Gospel at every opportunity, I expressed my desire to instead share the Gospel with them regardless. And the other gentleman, who was a pastor, was also on the same page with me, so we decided to approach the girls, which of course, we did.

Thankfully they gave us audience but seemed distracted at first as some car users, who they saw as potential customers were still passing by.

However after a while, we had their undivided attention, as we suddenly split into three groups, each of us with a prostitute sharing whatever we had to say with them, including the reluctant guy who seemed to have to no other choice but to follow suit.

It been over many years now since that happened so I can't remember exactly what I said to the girl with me and her exact response, but what I could remember was that at some point, i had to get a pen from my friend to take down her number perhaps for follow up afterwards, as she was willing to give me her contact which appeared kind of her.

Shortly afterwards we were through speaking with them, it appeared to have some short-term effect at least, as the three of them, instead of staying back to continue waiting for customers, immediately left the area in a cab.

That was the last time I spoke with the one with me or heard of her, so I can't say exactly how it panned out, however I was glad I was able to share the Gospel of Christ with her to at least give her that chance.

The pastor friend with us that day though came back with some encouraging update.

He testified that the prostitute he spoke to attended his church service the following Sunday and also testified there. She also shared with him some of her life's problems which perhaps that pushed her into the lifestyle, so he was able to also ask members of his church to assist her wherever they could.

I was surprised with his testimony though, because after the prostitutes left us, I thought that was likely the end of it, as I didn't expect any of them to take our preaching seriously, but that suggested why we need to preach the Gospel to them regardless, because one never knows.

That could be the reason they come to know Jesus, the only Man who could fill the void in their hearts.

God bless.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:53am On Feb 04
Jesus came to save the prostitutes too.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Righthussle: 8:21am On Feb 04
No, dem no go drop their hard earned money easily. most ashawo understand say religion na scam. .

6 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by dawnomike(m): 8:31am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:

I used to attend a church located at an area replete with nite clubs and hotels, so prostitutes were often seen hanging out around that area especially at night.

Something I noticed at the time was that the sight of the prostitutes, seemed to irritate Christians who worked, lived or had their church venues around that area, as I have often heard several of them express their disapproval of having to cope with the sights of such scantily clad ones on a frequent basis as a result.

One even took it to the point of praying for the clubs to be burnt down so the area could have some sort of reprieve. Even heard the church's pastor speaking severally about not being comfortable holding church services around such an area.

God bless.
Imagine parents bringing their kids to church and the kids getting to see such...

I do not consider it as appropriate but, maybe the churches for there before the prostitutes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Nazgul: 8:39am On Feb 04
Yes it's very bad considering the kind of people that brothels attracts.

You'll have jobless criminals hanging around the vicinity and they wouldn't mind robbing members during evening programs.

And then there's the regular police raids that occurs in such places. What if the raid occurs when you just dismissed an evening service? It means all the males present in the church wouldn't be safe, they would be forcefully arrested and tagged as criminals.

Did I forget to mention the issue of frequent fights between gangs and rival cult members. Just imagine having a vigil and fight breaks out in the middle of the night, nàked ladies and half nàked men running inside the church to take cover, sound of gunshots echoing though the night...that would be a very traumatic experience for your members.

I wouldn't support such. If you want to evangelize to prostitutes, send mature female members there to preach Christ to them, but situating your church right on their door step, is way out of line.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by opera1(m): 8:39am On Feb 04
Weytin carry you go Olosho spot before, what will be running in your head while in the church?
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Atarakpa: 8:39am On Feb 04
Why all this questions. Repentance Is for sinners. I believe in every bad spot a church and mosque supposed be there.
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by lokotamak(m): 8:40am On Feb 04
I don't think it's a good idea with this present Christianity lifestyle

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Pat081: 8:41am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
have one in my area RCCG
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Samirana360(m): 8:41am On Feb 04
Don't tempt the devil
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by khalling2008: 8:42am On Feb 04
Yes, pastor can easily fu*ck ashawo if any member refuse to dance to his fu*Ck according to Bible when lot fu*ch his daughter

Genesis 19:36-38
New International Version
36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[a]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[b]; he is the father of the Ammonites[c] of today.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Taich(m): 8:43am On Feb 04
Na business strategy
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by FireUpNow(m): 8:43am On Feb 04
Christ came because of sinners so go and win souls for God in whatever location.

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by femi4: 8:43am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
The people are the Church, forget the building. If you like use ten buildings for church, the impact in any nvironmental will always be from the Christians
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by unity004(m): 8:43am On Feb 04
Lol grin grin grin grin grin mak i hold weyti dey my mind
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Trophy12: 8:43am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:
I didn't think it was a bad location for a church at all at the time though.

Infact I saw it as a huge opportunity for the church, because I felt the purpose of the church is to reach out to lost souls like them with the Gospel, so it was supposed to be an advantage for the church to have such ones closeby or around them so they could easily reach out to them.

That was already my inclination, then on one particular night, we had just closed from midweek program at church, so I was with 2 guys. One was a friend, the other, a guest artist who also happened to be a pastor, and we were just making our way to the place we could get a cab to take us home.

Suddenly out of one of those clubs came 3 prostitutes, and they were seeking their customers as usual.

That was how they came into our conversation, as one of the three of us immediately expressed his disgust on sighting them. Ironically this was someone who I knew very well to be just a church-goer still living a life of sin and sexual immorality, yet he was the first to condemn someone else.

I was disgusted at his sheer hypocrisy, however wasn't fazed. Hence as my custom was at the time, to preach the Gospel at every opportunity, I expressed my desire to instead share the Gospel with them regardless. And the other gentleman, who was a pastor, was also on the same page with me, so we decided to approach the girls, which of course, we did.

Thankfully they gave us audience but seemed distracted at first as some car users, who they saw as potential customers were still passing by.

However after a while, we had their undivided attention, as we suddenly split into three groups, each of us with a prostitute sharing whatever we had to say with them, including the reluctant guy who seemed to have to no other choice but to follow suit.

It been over many years now since that happened so I can't remember exactly what I said to the girl with me and her exact response, but what I could remember was that at some point, i had to get a pen from my friend to take down her number perhaps for follow up afterwards, as she was willing to give me her contact which appeared kind of her.

Shortly afterwards we were through speaking with them, it appeared to have some short-term effect at least, as the three of them, instead of staying back to continue waiting for customers, immediately left the area in a cab.

That was the last time I spoke with the one with me or heard of her, so I can't say exactly how it panned out, however I was glad I was able to share the Gospel of Christ with her to at least give her that chance.

The pastor friend with us that day though came back with some encouraging update.

He testified that the prostitute he spoke to attended his church service the following Sunday and also testified there. She also shared with him some of her life's problems which perhaps that pushed her into the lifestyle, so he was able to also ask members of his church to assist her wherever they could.

I was surprised with his testimony though, because after the prostitutes left us, I thought that was likely the end of it, as I didn't expect any of them to take our preaching seriously, but that suggested why we need to preach the Gospel to them regardless, because one never knows.

That could be the reason they come to know Jesus, the only Man who could fill the void in their hearts.

God bless.
nice one , mind you the lady fit day here for nairaland they read the story . Kudos

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by sylve11: 8:44am On Feb 04
Brothel dey upstairs, church dey downstairs. E plenty for Nigeria. grin cool

2 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by DeepSight(m): 8:44am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

Did he not say he came for the sinners?
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by AntiChristian: 8:48am On Feb 04
Don't prostitutes pay tithes and first fruits?

Abeg Jesus wined and dined with sinners!

Na sinners dey pay more for church!

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by superCleanworks(m): 8:49am On Feb 04
Take your church to Afghanistan & North Korea if you really mean to preach the gospel.
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by aktolly54(m): 8:58am On Feb 04
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
God might save one olosho and a prophet will come from her generation. That is how God work. One prophet will definitely change a lot people to God
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Rumundele(m): 9:01am On Feb 04
No locate any church again go and merge with the existing one, let them breathe
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Houseofglam7(f): 9:04am On Feb 04
Not at all; it’ll be easier for the god of man to increase his harem.
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Starships4u(m): 9:08am On Feb 04
NO!
FORSAKE NOT THE GATHERING OF THE RIGHTEOUS... DIDN'T TALK ABOUT LOCATION...
EVERYONE IS A SINNER IN THE SIGHT OF GOD.
PROSTITUTION ISN'T A GRAVE SIN...
THE AIN'T THE WORST SINNERS...

STOP LOOKING AT THEM AS YHU ARE BETTER...
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by jonadaft: 9:08am On Feb 04
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by poweredcom(m): 9:11am On Feb 04
Cybergy in amuwo odofin lagos has a building which church use o. Sunday , off course u no cynergy hotel.has a mot of prostitutes in d whole hotel hahaha it baffles me each sunday i see banner of christ embassy on d gate of the hotel

I have also seen a one storey building , a red bub hotel.in amukoko area of lagos where hotel is upstairs and church is downstairs

That one na shock me pass LOL
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by SimpleDan3: 9:16am On Feb 04
Yes, for easy conversion to Christianity
Re: Is It Bad To Locate A Church In A Prostitution Hotspot? by Ekeneegwu(m): 9:20am On Feb 04
@Seun this your agenda have gone on for long am gonna call you out … why is it every Friday that is Muslim prayer day you post educative and respective topics but on sundays you post this kinda of rubbish … what’s wrong with you people .what’s educative or important to know where ashawo quarters are … @seun be respectful as we are of your religion thanks

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Origin And Meaning Of “august Visitor”. / What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.