Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI (198 Views)

NOUN Matriculates 37 Abeokuta Inmates / Five Inmates Of Kirikiri Prison Bag University Degrees From National Open Uni. / Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by MamaFryo(f): 8:19am On Feb 04
Two inmates at Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre, Lagos State, yesterday, won a brand new laptop and coding book as Access for Youths to Information Technology Initiative (AYIITI) and Anchor Heritage Initiative have partnered the custodial centre to train 20 of them in computer programming.

The brand new laptop and coding book were won after a coding competition organised for the inmates during their graduation ceremony which was held at the custodial centre.

In attendance were the Controller of Corrections, Lagos State Command, Ben-Rabbi Freedman, CC Ben-Robbi Freedman, Deputy Controller of Corrections (DCC), Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre, DCC Michael Anugwa and other personalities.

In his address, Freedman expressed delight at the occasion and appreciated the partners for the training.
He said the custodial centre had secured approval from the National Open University of Nigeria to award Diploma certificates in various fields to inmates after being trained by the University.

The CC charged the trainees to put whatever they have learnt into practice.
“I appreciate our partners for a job well done. I would like to tell you all that the custodial centre has secured approval with NOUN to train the inmates in various fields and issue diploma certificates to them after the training.

“I beseech you to put whatever you have learnt into practice,” he said.
Also speaking, the DCC charged the inmates to comport themselves wherever they find themselves.

He advised them to take advantage of the programme to acquire relevant skills that would make them employable after their release from the centre.

While presenting the laptop and coding book to the winners, AYIITI Managing Director and Founder, Akinyele Olubodun, said the Initiative was dated back to 2011 in his quest to give back to the society.
The UNILAG graduate said the five months training grilled the inmates from scratch but he was happy that it turned out to be fruitful.
Speaking about the initiative, he said, “it identifies with the vulnerable people from the margins of society, teaching them computer programming for ethical change.

“Programming pulled me out of poverty. It gave me my best memories and opportunities to be who I want to be. I believe my journey to freedom can be replicated for other children and adults living in marginalised communities by lowering the barrier to attaining programming knowledge.

“I choose to teach inmates computer programming because it teaches character reformation, resilience, logic, problem solving and patience.

“This is not just programming, it is programming for a better world.”
Bidemi Oladipo, the Chief Operating Officer, Anchor Heritage Initiative, said the initiative is partnering with other tech companies to train the inmates for onward transfer to NOUN to issue diploma certificates.

He said another class of the tech training would resume soon and the training would cover website development, graphics designs, photography and computer literacy among others.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2024/02/03/inmates-win-brand-new-laptop-coding-book-as-ayiiti-anchor-heritage-train-20-in-computer-programming

Re: Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by DanielJones: 8:34am On Feb 04
Great development! We need more of this. More NGOs should focus on creating reformative programs for the inmates. They can also be empowered while they are in the prison. We can learn from Halden Prison in Norway. It is deemed the best prison in the world because it provides its inmates with beautiful sceneries surrounded by vast vegetation and natural light. Each convict receives private, luxurious living chambers. Some prisons also empower their inmates by teaching them how to make money legitimately while in prison. Some inmates learn vocational skills and produce while their products are sold to people outside the prison.

But on the other hand, if the dudes presented laptops were convicted on the basis of internet fraud, is this not another opportunity for them to start running scamming biz right in the prison yard? It is just my crazy thought though. Don't mind me grin
Re: Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by PerfectView: 4:39pm On Feb 04
MamaFryo:
Two inmates at Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre, Lagos State, yesterday, won a brand new laptop and coding book as Access for Youths to Information Technology Initiative (AYIITI) and Anchor Heritage Initiative have partnered the custodial centre to train 20 of them in computer programming.

The brand new laptop and coding book were won after a coding competition organised for the inmates during their graduation ceremony which was held at the custodial centre.

In attendance were the Controller of Corrections, Lagos State Command, Ben-Rabbi Freedman, CC Ben-Robbi Freedman, Deputy Controller of Corrections (DCC), Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre, DCC Michael Anugwa and other personalities.

In his address, Freedman expressed delight at the occasion and appreciated the partners for the training.
He said the custodial centre had secured approval from the National Open University of Nigeria to award Diploma certificates in various fields to inmates after being trained by the University.

The CC charged the trainees to put whatever they have learnt into practice.
“I appreciate our partners for a job well done. I would like to tell you all that the custodial centre has secured approval with NOUN to train the inmates in various fields and issue diploma certificates to them after the training.

“I beseech you to put whatever you have learnt into practice,” he said.
Also speaking, the DCC charged the inmates to comport themselves wherever they find themselves.

He advised them to take advantage of the programme to acquire relevant skills that would make them employable after their release from the centre.

While presenting the laptop and coding book to the winners, AYIITI Managing Director and Founder, Akinyele Olubodun, said the Initiative was dated back to 2011 in his quest to give back to the society.
The UNILAG graduate said the five months training grilled the inmates from scratch but he was happy that it turned out to be fruitful.
Speaking about the initiative, he said, “it identifies with the vulnerable people from the margins of society, teaching them computer programming for ethical change.

“Programming pulled me out of poverty. It gave me my best memories and opportunities to be who I want to be. I believe my journey to freedom can be replicated for other children and adults living in marginalised communities by lowering the barrier to attaining programming knowledge.

“I choose to teach inmates computer programming because it teaches character reformation, resilience, logic, problem solving and patience.

“This is not just programming, it is programming for a better world.”
Bidemi Oladipo, the Chief Operating Officer, Anchor Heritage Initiative, said the initiative is partnering with other tech companies to train the inmates for onward transfer to NOUN to issue diploma certificates.

He said another class of the tech training would resume soon and the training would cover website development, graphics designs, photography and computer literacy among others.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2024/02/03/inmates-win-brand-new-laptop-coding-book-as-ayiiti-anchor-heritage-train-20-in-computer-programming

@Moderators why has this not yet been on the front page? Let's celebrate those who are doing good things even as we face hardship in this country. No be only bad news we go dey read everyday.
Re: Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by MamaFryo(f): 4:42pm On Feb 04
PerfectView:

@Moderators why has this not yet been on the front page? Let's celebrate those who are doing good things even as we face hardship in this country. No be only bad news we go dey read everyday.

God bless you. Your sense make sense. grin

1 Like

Re: Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by UnlimitedNG: 11:23pm On Feb 04
This is a great idea. 2 computers are not enough, you guys can do better. Gofundme, crowd funding and other grants giving organizations can help you to do better. I challenge you to go farther. Yes, you can!
Re: Two Inmates At Kirikiri Medium Custodial Centre Won Laptops From AYITI by MamaFryo(f): 2:23pm On Feb 06
Information Technology is the future.

(1) (Reply)

School Of Nursing, (ABSUTH), Aba Admission Form For 2024/2025 Session Is Out / How To Download Videos From Facebook, X (twitter), Tiktok, Instagram And Youtube / Is Jamb Portal Opened Now For Checking 2024 JAMB Results?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.