Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets (2565 Views)

FG Bans Use Of Laterite For Road Construction / FG Bans 91 Billionaires, Vips’ Jets, Insists On N30bn Duty / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Ibrahimcoomasie: 6:53pm On Feb 05
The Federal Government says it has begun enforcing the ban on the importation, manufacture, distribution, sale, and use of alcoholic beverages in sachets, PET, and glass bottles of 200 ml and below.

This was disclosed by the Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof Mojisola Adeyeye, on Monday at a press conference in Abuja.

The agency announced that the deadline given to manufacturers of the mentioned products to cease production in sachets and PET bottles, elapsed on January 31, 2024.

“As of January 31, 2024, there is no alcoholic beverage in these categories that are registered by NAFDAC. I also want to inform you that the agency has started enforcement actions to enforce the implementation of this policy. The window period given to manufacturers by NAFDAC to sell off all alcoholic drinks in this category elapsed on January 31, 2024.

“To this end on the first day, after the elapse of the window period, the agency commenced nationwide enforcement actions on February 1, 2024 to enforce the implementation of the new policy.

“This situation is of course not acceptable, and the agency views this as flagrant disobedience to the laws of Nigeria. NAFDAC views this matter seriously and will engage all statutory means, which may include prosecution, to deal with the matter.

“I want to use this medium to ask all holders of alcohol in sachets, PET and glass bottles, empty sachets, PET bottles, empty glass bottles, and other packaging materials of these banned products to immediately report to the Investigation and Enforcement Directorate of NAFDAC for hand-over of same to NAFDAC for destruction, to prevent sterner measures including prosecution.”

Adeyeye noted that the decision was based on a high-powered delegation that consisted of the Federal Ministry of Health, NAFDAC, and other relevant agencies.

“This decision was based on the recommendation of a high-powered committee of the Federal Ministry of Health and NAFDAC on one hand, the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), and the Industry represented by the Association of Food, Beverages and Tobacco Employers (AFBTE), Distillers and Blenders Association of Nigeria (DIBAN), in December 2018.

“As a commitment to the decision reached at the end of this Committee meeting, producers of alcohol in sachets and small volume agreed to reduce the production by 5 percent with effect from 31st January 2022 while ensuring the product is completely phased out in the country by 31st January 2024”.

She also noted that the decision was taken in the best interest of the country to protect under-aged and Nigerians in general.

“The people who are mostly at risk of the negative effect of consumption of the banned pack sizes of alcoholic beverages are the under-aged and commercial vehicle drivers and riders.

“The World Health Organization has established that children who drink alcohol are more likely to: use drugs, get bad grades, suffer injury or death, engage in risky sexual activity, make bad decisions and have health problems.

“The World Health Organization also stated that harmful consumption of alcohol is linked to more than 200 health conditions including infectious diseases (tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS) and non-communicable conditions (liver cirrhosis and different types of cancer).

“It is also associated with social problems such as alcohol addiction and gender-based violence.

“To curb the menace of abuse of alcohol, the World Health Organization recommended some actions and strategies to Policy-Makers that have shown to be effective and cost-effective, which include: regulating the marketing of alcoholic beverages (in particular to younger people) and regulating and restricting the availability of alcohol.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/fg-begins-enforcement-of-ban-on-sachets-alcoholic-drinks/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Oloki: 6:57pm On Feb 05
I hope it works. All those maruwa and okada drivers that will be driving like a lunatic after taking 3 sarchet

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Arobaga: 6:59pm On Feb 05
Agbero people go crase ooo

But come to think of it is this our problem?

Small 50 naira drink wey poor people dey use face this hardship una wan remove am

Is this our problem?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by SpecialAdviser(m): 7:03pm On Feb 05
Arobaga:
Agbero people go crase ooo

But come to think of it is this our problem?

Small 50 naira drink wey poor people dey use face this hardship una wan remove am

Is this our problem?
Comrade lower your voice. Death wey go kill dog no dey smell the nose.

With the current economic crisis na kai kai drinkers wey they stop their source of joy go start the revolution. And you know as it will go. grin cheesy grin cheesy

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by ruggedboych: 7:04pm On Feb 05
Wetin agbero go come de drink lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Arobaga: 7:10pm On Feb 05
shocked
SpecialAdviser:

Comrade lower your voice. Death wey go kill dog no dey smell the nose.

With the current economic crisis na kai kai drinkers wey dey stop their source of joy go start the revolution. And you know as it will go. grin cheesy grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Faiththatworks(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05
Hi
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Amotolongbo(f): 7:15pm On Feb 05
Ibrahimcoomasie:
The Federal Government says it has begun enforcing the ban on the importation, manufacture, distribution, sale, and use of alcoholic beverages in sachets, PET, and glass bottles of 200 ml and below.

Please don’t ban that Japata(tear pant) drink!
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Mindlog: 7:19pm On Feb 05
E go hard o.
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by kokoA(m): 7:22pm On Feb 05
The poor no fit breath oo..
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Fasindo: 7:22pm On Feb 05
shocked

When are they banning medical tourism for politicians?

Iya kamoru that's hawks agbo drinks mixed with satchet origin bitters and London dry gin will surely not be happy with this.

Agboros in motor parks that drinks satchet gins to clear their eye every morning will surely not be happy with this.

Should I talk about bus drivers and conductors that uses it to clear their eye to be seeing clearly when ever they are driving, them too won't be happy with this.

What about my landlord that satchet hot drinks to inform his gods that he was woken up every morning by pouring it on the floor of his doorstep, him too won't be happy with this.

What about Jennifer that uses sachet hot drink to calm herself down when ever she is waiting for customers at night, at Oluku every night, she and her colleagues too won't be happy with this.

Let me not forget of our policemen too that uses it too get high too, them will also not be happy with this.

Dear Tinubu government, let satchet hot drinker breath.

Me as long as they don't ban satchet tomatoes and satchet toothpaste, I'm ok with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by joseph1832(m): 7:24pm On Feb 05
Hian.
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by KEVIND: 7:27pm On Feb 05
hmm
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Natbrowny: 7:29pm On Feb 05
Idiots dey ban satchets.

Why not ban d company from producing them

Shebi na una give dem licence and dey r paying tax.

Alaye, fun mi action bitters twenty pieces for here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by History555: 7:36pm On Feb 05
Wetin agbero and drivers go use dey dirty eyes. Tinubu take time
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Naijanascam: 7:39pm On Feb 05
This is the best news so far this year..... And it should be celebrated🎉🎊🎁 if only it can be enforced to the latter..... Let them start from the manufacturers first....

Kudos to who brought this...

This has caused more harm to the society and it's being mainly consumed by people of low income and societal misfits/trouble makers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by rickpat(m): 7:41pm On Feb 05
highness don too much for naija...

make una gather the money come hustle....seee my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Jostoman: 7:44pm On Feb 05
Oloki:
I hope it works. All those maruwa and okada drivers that will be driving like a lunatic after taking 3 sarchet
you are not even talking about those that will be jobless because of this wicked decision from FG.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by MyExpression(m): 7:53pm On Feb 05
Those ones na reason?
Are they reasonable enough?

You just want to create erratic citizens within the shortest time.
Keep getting on everyone's nerves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by joehis2013: 7:54pm On Feb 05
Jostoman:
you are not even talking about those that will be jobless because of this wicked decision from FG.
True talk, many people won't see the implication of this policy until its too late

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by illicit(m): 7:56pm On Feb 05
Nice one

🥵

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by NFBI: 7:59pm On Feb 05
So drunkards will now be buying in bottle
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Nicepoker(m): 8:09pm On Feb 05
Welcome development
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Sunday2021: 8:25pm On Feb 05
The problem of this government is lack of critical thinking. If you want to stop something that millions of people are using then provide alternative. Without even saying you ban this and that it will gradually face out.
You stop subsidy without alternative
You increase school fees without alternative
You increase prices of foodstuffs without any proper agriculture program
Prices of everything is increase without salary increase

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by fiercehillz(m): 8:34pm On Feb 05
Modalities should be put in place to prevent people from switching to local gin, shekpe shots etc.

Dem fit come dey arrange bottles of different liquors on top their bowl or table...then dem go dey measure with cup put for inside transparent nylon as dem dey do agbo-jedi.
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by ProudNigerian01: 8:39pm On Feb 05
this is a very welcome development. High alcohol consumption leads to irresponsible behaviour and sometimes, a violent disposition.

Have you read the Bible today?

Read the verse below and pray with it:

Isa.59.2 - But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

Prayer: Father I acknowledge my sin separates me from you, have mercy on me and help me to correct my ways in Jesus name. Amen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Housing(m): 8:44pm On Feb 05
What laudable decision. The high rate of renal failure needs to be curtailed.

Nice and good decision by NAFDAC
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Housing(m): 8:47pm On Feb 05
Sunday2021:
The problem of this government is lack of critical thinking. If you want to stop something that millions of people are using then provide alternative. Without even saying you ban this and that it will gradually face out.
You stop subsidy without alternative
You increase school fees without alternative
You increase prices of foodstuffs without any proper agriculture program
Prices of everything is increase without salary increase

The banned was announced more than two years ago. The manufacturer were well aware of the ban two years ago the last license was issued over two years ago. January 31 2024 was the last valid date of previously issued licenses.

Very good decision

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by SuperOnyi: 9:07pm On Feb 05
shocked

The same sachet drink (Derok) a friend gave me when I went to his shop just last week? This might have been the reason my gbola wasn't erect enough to do some magic to the girl in that brothel.
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by kingar(m): 9:10pm On Feb 05
Time to see shege with clear eyes
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by G00dharddick: 9:13pm On Feb 05
What kind of stupid news is this?

Instead of FG to reduce the price of fuel and foodstuffs, this is what they're after?

If you know you voted APC in the last election, may u not live to the month of March 2024
Re: FG Bans Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages In Small Sachets by Sunday2021: 9:18pm On Feb 05
Housing:

The banned was announced more than two years ago. The manufacturer were well aware of the ban two years ago the last license was issued over two years ago. January 31 2024 was the last valid date of previously issued licenses.

Very good decision
I am not saying the banned is not good, I am saying they should have provided alternative since that two years all these ones would have disappear from the market by now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Govt Ban Police Check Points? / A / Obi In Uke Community This Morning To Confirm The Disaster Caused By APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.