Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

What The Bible Says About Alcohol - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Alcohol (500 Views)

75 Truth About Alcohol / 75 Biblical Truth About Alcohol / Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe About Gay & What The Bible Says About Homosexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 7:38pm On Feb 06
This is what the Bible says about alcohol.

Proverbs 31:6 KJV

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, And wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.”

KJV: King James Version

May the lord bless his words in our hearts.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MightySparrow: 8:17pm On Feb 06
Ask MaximumSide .
Janosky.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 8:17pm On Feb 06
Is this the only place alcohol and wine are mentioned or used in the Bible? You just quote a part that suits your misconception about things.

Even Jesus Christ himself turned water to wine in a ceremony in Cana. Does this mean Jesus wanted the guests to perish?

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by Contriman(m): 8:20pm On Feb 06
Who gives a fu**ck about what the Bible says
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 11:47pm On Feb 06
immortalcrown:
Is this the only place alcohol is mentioned or used in the Bible? You just quote a part that suits your misconception about things.
Listen to God’s words
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 2:58am On Feb 07
BBIA:

Listen to God’s words
Answer my question on the God's words.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by Exousiang01: 3:16am On Feb 07
I am not justifying drinking alcohol (Tho I drink)
But you see this is one of the problems with the Christaindom today, you just pick one verse from the bible and you take it hook line and sinker.
1. A verse of the Bible is not a doctrine or law, for an idea to be a doctrine they are laid down rules. A doctrine is an idea that must have been confirmed by GOD in the old testament, seen in the earthly works of Christ, seen in the life of the Apostles and also the early church.

2. A verse most times never gives you the real picture to truly understand a verse you need to read the last 3 verses before and first 3 verses after.

3. There are so many errors in translation and people just end up making mistakes.

4. The English Vocabulary is very limited, so many things in the Bible really can't be explained properly with English language. E.g the word power is generalized in English but power at different times in the Bible actually say different thing, kratos, Dunamis, Exousia etc are all different dimensions of power that are not captured in the English Vocabulary.

My point is the verse you posted is not proof that the Bible is against alcohol, it never said we shouldn't take it, as a matter of fact it is trying to help us understand that alcohol is capable of lifting a sorrowful heart, which doesn't sound bad to me, sounds like a good therapy

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:56am On Feb 07
BBIA:

This is what the Bible says about alcohol.
Proverbs 31:6 KJV
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, And wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.”
KJV: King James Version

May the lord bless his words in our hearts.

Who is the person that is ready to perish? or who are those that be of heavy hearts?

In the Bible book of Deuteronomy 14:26 God's word said:

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for WINE, or for STRONG DRINK, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

The highlighted shows that God commanded His people to bring WINE and STRONG DRINK to his house and consume.

But why did God say such thing?

Well the human heart is always heavy with one thing or another it may be depression, anxiety, sorrow and many more which all can't be solved now until God's Kingdom comes so when anyone is having such feeling little ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE will make him or her feel life worths much more than the problems we are facing and by so doing take it easy with themselves.

No wonder Eli the highpriest thought Hannah was drunk {1Samuel 1:14} if it was prohibited among God's people she could have been dealt with seriously but rather Eli only told her to stop taking the drink!

So God's word made it clear to us that alcoholic beverages taken moderately is good for the heart of all living humans! Psalms 104:15

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 9:14am On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
Answer my question on the God's words.
someone just did.

MaxInDHouse:

Who is the person that is ready to perish? or who are those that be of heavy hearts?

In the Bible book of Deuteronomy 14:26 God's word said:

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for WINE, or for STRONG DRINK, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

The highlighted shows that God commanded His people to bring WINE and STRONG DRINK to his house and consume.

But why did God say such thing?

Well the human heart is always heavy with one thing or another it may be depression, anxiety, sorrow and many more which all can't be solved now until God's Kingdom comes so when anyone is having such feeling little ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE will make him or her feel life worths much more than the problems we are facing and by so doing take it easy with themselves.

No wonder Eli the highpriest thought Hannah was drunk {1Samuel 1:14} if it was prohibited among God's people she could have been dealt with seriously but rather Eli only told her to stop taking the drink!

So God's word made it clear to us that alcoholic beverages taken moderately is good for the heart of all living humans! Psalms 104:15

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

Alcoholic isn’t evil, it has never been evil.

The abuse is what is.

Even every other thing when abused can be evil. for example we eat food to survive but becoming a glutton is a sin.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:19am On Feb 07
BBIA:

someone just did.
Alcoholic isn’t evil, it has never been evil.
The abuse is what is.
Even every other thing when abused can be evil. for example we eat food to survive but becoming a glutton is a sin.

You're blessed Sir! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 10:02am On Feb 07
BBIA:

someone just did.
No. The person didn't answer my question.

Let me repeat the question. Is the verse you quoted the only place alcohol and wine are mentioned in the Bible?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 12:29pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
No. The person didn't answer my question.

Let me repeat the question. Is the verse you quoted the only place alcohol and wine are mentioned in the Bible?

1 Timothy 5:23

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 1:50pm On Feb 07
BBIA:

1 Timothy 5:23

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
The question is, are the verses you quoted the only ones that contain alcohol and wine in the Bible?

Jesus turned water to wine in a ceremony in Cana. Does it mean Jesus wanted the guests to perish?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 2:34pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
The question is, are the verses you quoted the only ones that contain alcohol and wine in the Bible?

Jesus turned water to wine in a ceremony in Cana. Does it mean Jesus wanted the guests to perish?
You seem to want to reason only from an irrational perspective.

what point are you even trying to make?

you want to say alcohol is evil or what?

go straight to the point.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 2:48pm On Feb 07
BBIA:
You seem to want to reason only from an irrational perspective.

what point are you even trying to make?

you want to say alcohol is evil or what?

go straight to the point.
Which perspective of mine is irrational?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 5:00pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
Which perspective of mine is irrational?
what is your point?

tell us your own view of alcohol lets know.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07
BBIA:

what is your point? tell us your own view of alcohol lets know.
Explain the perspective you referred to in your previous response.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 5:27pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
Explain the perspective you referred to in your previous response.
pack one side abeg. you be clown.🤡
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 5:51pm On Feb 07
BBIA:

pack one side abeg. you be clown.🤡
Don't park. Keep running around.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 6:10pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
Don't park. Keep running around.
🤡🤡🤡
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:28pm On Feb 07
BBIA:

what is your point?
tell us your own view of alcohol lets know.
When talking about perspectives regarding what the Bible teaches most people only follow the crowd, they don't have any specific stand. One of them is this person below:
MightySparrow:

Ask MaximumSide .
Janosky.
No matter the question you ask about the Bible as long as it has to do with teachings he will direct the audience to Jehovah's Witnesses. He expected people to object then he can follow the crowd but now that no one raised any objection regarding my post he will disappear as if he never existed.
So immortalcrown wants you to speak openly and tell the followers of your thread that alcoholic beverages is not a crime against what most so called pastors often tell their members whereas they can't support it with the scriptures! smiley
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

When talking about perspectives regarding what the Bible teaches most people only follow the crowd, they don't have any specific stand. One of them is this person below:

No matter the question you ask about the Bible as long as it has to do with teachings he will direct the audience to Jehovah's Witnesses. He expected people to object then he can follow the crowd but now that no one raised any objection regarding my post he will disappear as if he never existed.
So immortalcrown wants you to speak openly and tell the followers of your thread that alcoholic beverages is not a crime against what most so called pastors often tell their members whereas they can't support it with the scriptures! smiley
May I understand why you quoted me and what you intend to explain about me.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by BBIA: 6:46pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

ImmortalCrown has been asking question after question just to find something to hold on to so that he can validate his sentimental opinion.

The bible has never condemned alcohol.

it has on the other hand condemned it’s abuse.

Even with that, he will still want to argue.

Even at the last super, Jesus drank alcohol with the 12 Disciples.

(N.B The term wine has always been associated with Alcohol. it was not until the late 19th and early 20th century that methods were developed to remove alcohol from wine were developed. so nobody should come quoting me asking if the bible said it was alcoholic wine.)
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:55pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:

May I understand why you quoted me and what you intend to explain about me.
Guy rest jọọ if you don't understand the OP he is not against anyone all he did was to quote God's word and call scholars to air their views backing it with the scriptures.
So all you need to do is present your own understanding not pestering him to tell you his own after quoting the scriptures.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:03pm On Feb 07
BBIA:

ImmortalCrown has been asking question after question just to find something to hold on to so that he can validate his sentimental opinion.
The bible has never condemned alcohol.
it has on the other hand condemned it’s abuse. Even with that, he will still want to argue. Even at the last super, Jesus drank alcohol with the 12 Disciples.

(N.B The term wine has always been associated with Alcohol. it was not until the late 19th and early 20th century that methods were developed to remove alcohol from wine were developed. so nobody should come quoting me asking if the bible said it was alcoholic wine.)

Thanks for this!

Most religionists often take alcoholic beverage as sin even though they drink it not because they understand the scriptures but due to the misconception that it's against God's word.
Jesus often drinks alcoholic beverages that's why the Pharisees who are like today pastors called him a drunkard {Luke 7:31-35} of course no matter the amount of alcoholic beverages Jesus drinks it can never ever affect him because he has a perfect human body that nothing can affect, Jesus often drink responsibly because whatever he does is what his IMPERFECT disciples will imitate so he must not mislead them.

Despite all these scripturally based points the Pharisees of today still wants people to believe that God's word is against alcoholic beverages! Matthew 15:7-9smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 7:05pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

Guy rest jọọ if you don't understand the OP he is not against anyone all he did was to quote God's word and call scholars to air their views backing it with the scriptures.
So all you need to do is present your own understanding not pestering him to tell you his own after quoting the scriptures.
You have a serious problem with simple English. How is my comment harsh on the guy? Which word is rude or harsh in my comment? The same you said my opinion is sentimental. The same you finds my response harsh.
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:12pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:
You have a serious problem with simple English. How is my comment harsh on the guy? Which word is rude or harsh in my comment? The same you said my opinion is sentimental. The same you finds my response harsh.
Sentimental?
Harsh?
Please quote where i made such statement?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 7:24pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

Sentimental?
Harsh?
Please quote where i made such statement?
Who said I am looking for points to validate my sentimental opinion?

When I asked for an understandable explanation of sentences writing to me, who said I should rest?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:42pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:

Who said I am looking for points to validate my sentimental opinion?
When I asked for an understandable explanation of sentences writing to me, who said I should rest?

Rest differs from sentimental or harsh.

Rest simply means leave the matter it has been resolved!
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by immortalcrown(m): 7:48pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

Rest differs from sentimental or harsh.

Rest simply means leave the matter it has been resolved!
You said the person is not against me. Did my comment imply he is against me?

Also, what do you mean by saying I am looking for points to validate my sentimental opinion?
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:18pm On Feb 07
immortalcrown:

You said the person is not against me. Did my comment imply he is against me? Also, what do you mean by saying I am looking for points to validate my sentimental opinion?

Guy it's OK forget it!
Re: What The Bible Says About Alcohol by MightySparrow: 11:54pm On Feb 07
MaxInDHouse:

Why then did GB disfellowshiped Tony Morris over having alcohol in his possession and consumption?
Drunk masters.grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Warning To All False Pastors And Shepherds / Beware Of The Snare Of Wealth / Do You Need Group Of Praise Team, We Do That For Free: Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.